Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I bought an old atv3 but unfortunately the d-pad of the non-Siri Remote didn't work.
Luckily I still have the weird remote that came with my RevA CrapBook Pro for some reason. (and even more amazingly I could find it.)

Holy heck that brings back memories.

e: What a crappy snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Its amazing, and a testament to Apple pushing the envelope, that the OG remote...thing was considered premium material and design even 15 years ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's basically an OG (well, not scrollwheel OG) iPod UI. How far we've come.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still miss the physical scroll wheel. God that was a great idea.

Yeah it got sand in it and was a moving part but whatever

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Non-rotating circle-shaped buttons without even a non-rotating trackpad are real "and yet a trace of the true self exists in the false self" energy

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Took the plunge and just ordered a 16” M1 Max. Expected ship date is between November 30 and December 7. I figure it’s time to trade in my mid-2015 15” for something new.

Question for those doing mail trade-ins: does the trade in kit come with or around the same time as the computer? Just wondering how all of this will likely be timed.

smax fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 5, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Didja get the binned Max or the full blown

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Didja get the binned Max or the full blown

Full blown. I honestly don’t need the power, but I tend to hold on to my computers so long that $400 spread over 6/7 years doesn’t make a difference to me. At the end of the day, I figured why not.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Until I got this MBP, I hadn't realized how sluggish the Intel ones were. Even my 2017 from work feels slow now.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Until I got this MBP, I hadn't realized how sluggish the Intel ones were. Even my 2017 from work feels slow now.

It’s not just Intel macs that feel sluggish - it’s everything. All of it. Every single other computer feels laggy in comparison

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smax posted:

Took the plunge and just ordered a 16” M1 Max. Expected ship date is between November 30 and December 7. I figure it’s time to trade in my mid-2015 15” for something new.

Question for those doing mail trade-ins: does the trade in kit come with or around the same time as the computer? Just wondering how all of this will likely be timed.

The shipping kit is usually shipped out after receipt of the new one. At least that's how it works for iPads. I can't imagine it's different.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

smax posted:

Full blown. I honestly don’t need the power, but I tend to hold on to my computers so long that $400 spread over 6/7 years doesn’t make a difference to me. At the end of the day, I figured why not.

This was my logic (though not with the storage, I don't need that much storage). Did you get the 8TB? Asking because I'm looking at Dec 10-17 with an order weeks earlier. I know they sometimes churn out more of the fully fully maxed out ones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buying the 8TB seems absolutely insane to me given the cost increase, I can never imagine having that much on local storage

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Buying the 8TB seems absolutely insane to me given the cost increase, I can never imagine having that much on local storage

That's only about one hour of 8K raw footage!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You guys are making me feel like not being a youtuber is some kind of lifehack

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

This was my logic (though not with the storage, I don't need that much storage). Did you get the 8TB? Asking because I'm looking at Dec 10-17 with an order weeks earlier. I know they sometimes churn out more of the fully fully maxed out ones.

Nah, just the standard 32GB/1TB model. That logic breaks down for a $6,100 computer. I can get the wife on board for a $3,500 computer though.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
i have a 10c/16c pro and a 10c/24c max model currently and im trying to decide between which one to keep. ask me anything

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Brain Issues posted:

i have a 10c/16c pro and a 10c/24c max model currently and im trying to decide between which one to keep. ask me anything

which one do you think you’re gonna keep? Is it the pricier one?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

which one do you think you’re gonna keep? Is it the pricier one?

probably but not for any real reason. just so i can flex on the poors.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How’s the divorce going Mr Bezos

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Brain Issues posted:

How much of a difference does full power mode make?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of weird flex, can I just say that I installed iMovie and was irrationally annoyed that it took three dock bounces to open on my M1Pro?

Like that's $1000/bounce.

Should have gone 16MAX for that higher bandwidth :twisted:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

smax posted:

How much of a difference does full power mode make?

theyre both 14" so i have no idea. to be completely honest im struggling to see any difference whatsoever in normal usage. i did however notice a big increase in smoothness going from the base model 8c/14c to the 10c/16c. i returned the 8c/14c already because it didnt feel any faster than my m1 macbook air

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of weird flex, can I just say that I installed iMovie and was irrationally annoyed that it took three dock bounces to open on my M1Pro?

Like that's $1000/bounce.

Should have gone 16MAX for that higher bandwidth :twisted:

It loads in zero bounces on my 32-core Max. :v:

Ghidra loads in less than a second, too. I'm used to that taking a bit on my old MBP. This thing is loving amazing.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Has anyone who has received their M1 Max played around with Low Power mode? I was thinking of going for the 14” Max but the Verge article has me spooked on battery life, but if you could get substantially better battery by switching Low Power mode on when you just need to do internet stuff that would make me feel a lot more comfortable going for the Max.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Breadnought posted:

Has anyone who has received their M1 Max played around with Low Power mode? I was thinking of going for the 14” Max but the Verge article has me spooked on battery life, but if you could get substantially better battery by switching Low Power mode on when you just need to do internet stuff that would make me feel a lot more comfortable going for the Max.

This is a good question. I've already noticed my 14" Max draining substantially faster than my 10C/16C Pro. I just turned on low power mode, but it will probably be 3-4 days before i can actually report back anything worthwhile on concrete in evidence. I have until Jan 8th to return both machines so I'll hold onto them for testing.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Pages takes longer to load than Adobe Premiere

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
for battery life the best option is a base model 16" right?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I ordered the deal from Costco (8GB/512GB Mac Mini) though I do plan to return it if it doesn’t meet my needs. $140 off is sweet. It’s cheaper than the same model refurb on Apple’s site.

Backup - I’ll just order a 16GB/1TB setup or wait a while longer.

The memory issues seem to be persisting, so I hope they fix it.

I realized today that my work Mac, a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, has 8GB of ram. Somehow I’ve been surviving on that for a while, so my workflow should be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

It loads in zero bounces on my 32-core Max. :v:

Ghidra loads in less than a second, too. I'm used to that taking a bit on my old MBP. This thing is loving amazing.

I’m pretty sure it was just doing initial setup and stuff, seems that it launches with zero bounces for me too now :haw:

Was just funny. But actually everything about the M1Pro is loving aces. I’m actually disappointed I burned my work hardware refresh on a M1 13” last year because like… everything about my 14 is more enjoyable somehow.

M1 13 is no slouch I mean, just that by comparison the new shiny thing feels better than the old shiny thing.

But my old shiny thing replaced and old not-shiny thing with a terrible Jony Ive keyboard so it’s still acceptable.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mofabio posted:

for battery life the best option is a base model 16" right?

Yep.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Am I right that the Apple returns policy is very much that you can buy a laptop and return it in the window because you don't like it and get a full refund as long as I've not damaged it? And that for Christmas they extend this so I could buy a laptop, try it for 6 weeks and then send it back if it doesn't meet my needs?

I'm thinking I might try out a new Macbook to see if it really is that much better than my 2013 for what I need it for. Looked on the Apple UK store, can't get one until the start of December, however on the Amazon site they have some of the base models in stock. How strange. I am sure they'll be covered by the Amazon returns policy rather than the Apple one unfortunately.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
after loving around with the 10c/24c max vs 10c/16c pro for several hours last night im returning the max for sure.

$600 more.. and i haven't found anything (that i do) that makes the max feel faster, even with the 32gb ram vs 16gb. also, display lottery. the display on this Max model has noticeable blooming issues compared to my other unit where i've yet to notice blooming a single time. playing back an HDR video like the stars test or fireworks video its insane how different they look. the screen on this Max looks much worse than my Pro.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
But what if you need to plug in 4 monitors?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Brain Issues posted:

after loving around with the 10c/24c max vs 10c/16c pro for several hours last night im returning the max for sure.

$600 more.. and i haven't found anything (that i do) that makes the max feel faster, even with the 32gb ram vs 16gb. also, display lottery. the display on this Max model has noticeable blooming issues compared to my other unit where i've yet to notice blooming a single time. playing back an HDR video like the stars test or fireworks video its insane how different they look. the screen on this Max looks much worse than my Pro.

I watched a couple of videos suggesting 8c/14c v 10c/16c didn't make much or any real difference for the $300. How come you went with the 10/16 option? Just curious if it's worth it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've had the M1 Air now for a year and I've been EXTREMELY happy with. Best laptop I've ever owned. The only thing I wish was different was I wish I had 16gigs of ram rather than 8. The limited RAM has me using a not insignificant amount of swap even on modest usage cases. Even though this is FOR SURE wearing out the computer's SSD faster than it should, I imagine that they'll upgrade the Air's SKU with more RAM long before it has any practical effect and I'll just replace it then.

Other than that it's been perfect.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Sad Panda posted:

I watched a couple of videos suggesting 8c/14c v 10c/16c didn't make much or any real difference for the $300. How come you went with the 10/16 option? Just curious if it's worth it.

That's not been my experience. I bought the base model 8c/14c first and returned it because it didn't feel any faster than my M1 Macbook Air. In fact I was getting some stuttering and dropped frames ocassionally just web browsing
and that wasn't happening on my M1 Air.

I actually noticed a big difference between the 8C and 10C model, compared to the difference between the 10C/16C and 10C/24C. I haven't yet found anything to suggest its worth going to the Max unless you need more than 32gb of ram, or need more than 2 external displays. It's surely possible that the M1 Max GPU will grow into being useful if more apps start using Metal, but for now it seems like a pretty big waste.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 6, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hmm so it seems the one I’ll buy in January with my holiday bonus is the 10 core 14” model and with 32GB of RAM just because I’m afraid of swap killing my SSD prematurely. That feels right, should last me a good five years at least

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

In the last few days I've learned

1) When attempting to do a top-case replacement, (trackpad went haywire) on a 2014 MBP with yr other wise technically gifted father, do NOT let him try to hack the glued in battery out with a knife. A punctured battery makes a fire. On the upside I can tell people "I just literally blew up my laptop! I am a chaos person!". If feels like a satisfying claim to be able to make, even if technically it was my dad that delivered the fatal blow.

2) As a result of 1) A highly guilty feeling father will offer to pay for a new macbook, to which his middle age son will go "Uh no dad, I'm a grown rear end middle age man, I can afford it". (The old boy means well and he can certainly afford it, but its a matter of pride)

3) Although my wallet is now lighter, these M1 Pro macs are blazing fast and the speakers are phenomenal. My success at getting the docker environment to code in is proving troublesome. I'll probably just go buy a new battery for the 2014, repurpose it as a linux server and just code out of that.

Seriously, these new macs are great though. Its just..... fast. Also I'm told the batteries have pull-out tabs for replacing them. This is a unequivically good thing. Because glued in batteries = danger.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thinking like a base 16-inch with 32 GB RAM is gonna be the sweet spot for me, I don't edit 4K / 8K videos, only do light PhotoSlop / Illustrator work, and haven't played any 3D games in like forever.

I'm also thinking Apple is a little too obsessed with the GPU arms race and aren't really approaching it the right way; they seem to think AR is the future, and it may very well be, but even the 32-core GPU Max may not be good enough to do the kind of quality rendering they're thinking of. They abandoned OpenGL and went down the Metal road at the wrong time IMHO.

Now I'm not saying that the 32-core Max machines are the next TrashCan Macs, there are a lot of folks out there who will welcome being able to edit 8K videos on the go and who will need that power, but I feel as far as 3D goes, it's like a company that puts out lovely products for years then suddenly decides its going to be hot poo poo and go all out on something they screamed for years that people didn't need.

Brain Issues posted:

That's not been my experience. I bought the base model 8c/14c first and returned it because it didn't feel any faster than my M1 Macbook Air. In fact I was getting some stuttering and dropped frames ocassionally just web browsing
and that wasn't happening on my M1 Air.

So did the 10C model actually 'feel' faster than your M1 Air in general practice, or about the same?

quote:

I actually noticed a big difference between the 8C and 10C model, compared to the difference between the 10C/16C and 10C/24C.

Can you elaborate? Screen updates, page scrolling, launching speed --?

quote:

I haven't yet found anything to suggest its worth going to the Max unless you need more than 32gb of ram, or need more than 2 external displays. It's surely possible that the M1 Max GPU will grow into being useful if more apps start using Metal, but for now it seems like a pretty big waste.

Yeah, for now there's literally nothing that will really -need- a 32-core GPU, hopefully there's someone out there writing the next flight sim or game that will showcase the need for one; about the only thing I've seen that could showcase that potential other than the GPU making Final Cut faster is that demo where they show off nearly infinite zooming levels in some vector graphic.