Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AnoHito posted:

Some people just like having a big fancy wedding. And that's fine. The requests she made were not where she was the rear end in a top hat. She was the rear end in a top hat when her response to a couple of the bridesmaids saying "no, I can't afford this" was to have a huge meltdown instead of trying to make things easier for them or just saying "I understand, and I'd be happy if you could still make the wedding."
I mean, no, her expectations were hosed up to begin with. You shouldn't plan destination weddings without considering how your friends and family will afford it, ditto for the dresses and hair and makeup.

Plus the expectation that everyone needs to stay in the resort and attend her at all times like a royal entourage. That's the red flag that this is a Queen For A Day fantasy and not a wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

In ancient days weren't the people getting married required to pay for everything for the people attending?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

In ancient days weren't the people getting married required to pay for everything for the people attending?

Father of the bride (in Western countries). Similarly the reason wedding gift registries are a thing is because traditionally the wedding would be the point where a couple would actually move in together, so the gifts are supposed to be the kinds of things you would need on day one of moving out of your parent's house and living independently.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Of course you need a bridal shower, how else are you going to get a giant ceramic leaf platter?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FiftySeven posted:

I will never ever understand this brain poisoning that has people convinced they need to spend obscene amounts of money on a wedding. If I was planning a destination wedding, it would 100% be with the intention that it was going to be super casual, and no one was obligated to turn up unless they fancied the trip too. How can it ever be seen as reasonable to expect people to spend huge sums of money on a day that is entirely not about them?

advertising works, turns out, and it takes very little persuasion to convince middle class strivers to bankrupt themselves trying to give off the appearance that they're royalty. If De Beers could sell everyone on diamonds can't imagine how easy a job of it some Hawaiian beach resort has

spacetoaster posted:

in ancient days weddings consisted of getting half the village hammered in the barn and then walking home to gently caress

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Of course you need a bridal shower, how else are you going to get a giant ceramic leaf platter?

For real, everyone should have a registry at Design Toscano
https://www.designtoscano.com/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Further, your neighbors chipping in financially to help with your wedding or provide gifts is in exchange for you having done the same thing for their respective weddings. Its a system of collectivizing the costs of throwing a killer party.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not exactly about the money, per se. People like this think that a wedding is an opportunity to live in a psychotic dream-realm where you get to be God for a day. Or a week, if your social set can afford a destination wedding.

She's recovering from erectile dysfunction?

Eating Disorder

Isn’t the whole point of destination weddings to exclude your methhead cousin who could never in a million years hold on to money long enough to save up for a resort trip, so he can’t ruin it? I always thought of them as being purpose built to exclude people, why is she getting mad that it’s working?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, no, her expectations were hosed up to begin with. You shouldn't plan destination weddings without considering how your friends and family will afford it, ditto for the dresses and hair and makeup.

Plus the expectation that everyone needs to stay in the resort and attend her at all times like a royal entourage. That's the red flag that this is a Queen For A Day fantasy and not a wedding.

#1 rule of destination weddings is don't do it unless you want to:

A) Pay the way for some (or all) of the wedding party

or

B) Expect at least a few people in the wedding party to decline

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, it's very successful if your kid is active in real social activity.

I know several kids kids on my kids sports teams that don't do any social media at all and it's fine.

But there's a ton of lovely people out there who think a screen with internet access is absolutely required for kids these days. It's bad.

This is what I'm aiming for. Going to try to get them into surfing and climbing while they're little until they express an interest in team sports or music and hope that sticks. If we move to China, I reckon it'll be a non issue. WeChat's not as bad.

I think the cons of social media far outweigh the positive. Destroys relationships, the inequality on full blast that you're supposed to embrace, enabling of harassment, the direct increase on young suicides. And it's a total time sink. I mean so is SA but at least we have fun.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Halloween Jack posted:

She's recovering from erectile dysfunction?

I read ED as that, too. Every time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kntfkr posted:

This is what I'm aiming for. Going to try to get them into surfing and climbing while they're little until they express an interest in team sports or music and hope that sticks. If we move to China, I reckon it'll be a non issue. WeChat's not as bad.
How are they going to let the other little surfers know that the surf's up? Or the other little soccer players that you're out sick and can't make practice? I repeat, social media is how children communicate. Past a certain age, and I don't know what that is, a child without social media can't make plans with other people, or will be left out of the plans that other people make. I absolutely agree with you that some sort of oversight of social media is necessary, but a blanket ban is not going to work out well for your child.
e: To give you some example, my daughter does social work in a highly-impacted (read: many children need help) school. She actually needs to be able to talk about Fortnite with the children, and used Roblox a lot as therapy during the plague years.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 5, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

definitely got a point that pre-social-media team sports were notably devoid of weird freaks and nazis and weird nazi freaks, tho

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kimbo305 posted:

I read ED as that, too. Every time.

CBT, dammit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I sometimes try to remember anything I said at all as a kid-tween on AIM and it's a dark slurry of memory. I can only surmise it would be an awesome karmic torment to force me to read those chatlogs for eternity. I'm super pleased none of those little boxes were public-facing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

definitely got a point that pre-social-media team sports were notably devoid of weird freaks and nazis and weird nazi freaks, tho

As someone who played team sports before social media, lol no

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Barudak posted:

Further, your neighbors chipping in financially to help with your wedding or provide gifts is in exchange for you having done the same thing for their respective weddings. Its a system of collectivizing the costs of throwing a killer party.
My mother in law is still very mad that she gave thousands of dollars to some relative that just bought us a waffle iron when we got married.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Hating your stepmom/dad is such basic bitch poo poo. No one trying to be like your dumb rear end mom/dad. Gives me the roller eyes everytime.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

As a former teenage delinquent/parents worst nightmare I can confirm that if your kid wants to do something, or if they feel doing something is necessary for their social life, you're probably not gonna be able to stop them with force or strictness. What you can do is give them the skills to navigate difficult environments, and the safety to fall back on if it goes wrong.

The only difference between the kids with ultra strict parents and the kids with laissez-faire parents in my experience was that the laissez-faire kids actually went to their parents for help when they got into situations they couldn't handle, and the strict kids didn't (and also generally wilded out way harder, because they were primed to see warnings as lies and boundaries as arbitrary.) I'm not saying just let your kids do whatever, but the older they get the less control over their interactions you're going to be able to exert, and the more counter-productive trying can become, so getting decent risk analysis, emotional resilience and problem solving skills in place as early as you can is your best bet for keeping them safe.

Edit: and make sure they understand that if they come to you with a problem, you'll help first and discipline second, so it's not more scary to talk to you than it is to deal with whatever it is alone.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

small ghost posted:

As a former teenage delinquent/parents worst nightmare I can confirm that if your kid wants to do something, or if they feel doing something is necessary for their social life, you're probably not gonna be able to stop them with force or strictness. What you can do is give them the skills to navigate difficult environments, and the safety to fall back on if it goes wrong.

The only difference between the kids with ultra strict parents and the kids with laissez-faire parents in my experience was that the laissez-faire kids actually went to their parents for help when they got into situations they couldn't handle, and the strict kids didn't (and also generally wilded out way harder, because they were primed to see warnings as lies and boundaries as arbitrary.) I'm not saying just let your kids do whatever, but the older they get the less control over their interactions you're going to be able to exert, and the more counter-productive trying can become, so getting decent risk analysis, emotional resilience and problem solving skills in place as early as you can is your best bet for keeping them safe.

Edit: and make sure they understand that if they come to you with a problem, you'll help first and discipline second, so it's not more scary to talk to you than it is to deal with whatever it is alone.
Stop giving out parenting advice. It'll kill future content in this thread.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dik Hz posted:

Post some then

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Fair point.

Hey parents! Raise your kids in a panopticon, they'll grow up super well adjusted and grateful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Make sure your kid always knows that if there's someplace they wanna go, you'll break down any door in their way

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

small ghost posted:

Fair point.

Hey parents! Raise your kids in a panopticon, they'll grow up super well adjusted and grateful.
No, no, you need to give them an area they think is super private and safe and secure. Then when they are most vulnerable reveal that you've been recording everything in that safe place and have been broadcasting it to everyone they look up to.

Its not good parenting if they know it's a panopticon.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Speaking of privacy and trust:

AITA for asking for a roommate change after my former roommate revealed an embarrassing secret

quote:

So I 18 F am a freshman in college and until recently I loved it! I especially loved the social life and the party scene. But I have discovered I have one embarrassing problem when I drink, I wet the bed. It’s really humiliating for me and makes me super self conscious. It’s not as though I black out , it’s something about alcohol that ruins my bladder control as I sleep. This has happened about 5 times since I got to school. The third time it happened my roommate discovered me trying to hide the evidence. I begged her not to tell anyone and thought she was sympathetic. But last week I was eating dinner with friends and we were discussing Halloween plans and one boy made a joke about my bed wetting. I’ve never been more embarrassed in my life. I sobbed for hours knowing that my whole friend group knows about my problem. I knew my roommate told them because she is literally the only one who knew. I was so angry and embarrassed I left school and my Halloween weekend was spent food shopping with my mom. While I was home I put in a request for a roommate change because I was so mad at my roommate. She has texted me like 100 times telling me I’m being dramatic. I think I’m right to never want to talk to her again she humiliated me in front of my friends including the boy she knows I have a crush on. AITA for asking for a change in roommates?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I don't want to sound too judgmental, but if drinking makes you wet the bed you probably should stop drinking.

Also roommate sucks.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

The Bramble posted:

Hey thread, I hate you, so read this

Thicc girl smol boi

I hate you so much right now

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for leaving my husbands grandmother stranded two hours from home, after she tricked us into attending a wedding?

quote:

MIL and I used to have an ok relationship. We weren’t close but she was always nice to me. When we got married three years ago we only have plus ones to people on serious relationships, which she was not. She fought with me about the plus ones for months leading up to the wedding, and then lost her mind the day of the wedding. I know she showed up at some point because I saw her but she left either before or right after the ceremony and cut all contact with us. Apparently she had some sort of breakdown and cried for days and feels I’m responsible.

She totally severed contact. We haven’t reached out because we feel it is her issue but when I had my baby last March I did have family communicate that she has an open invitation if she would like to meet her grandchild and I never heard back. I feel like it’s her loss/issue but I know it bothers her mom. Recently my husbands grandmother told us that MIL was getting married and wanted us there with the baby. She said MIL was nervous to reach out and had asked her to.

I decided a wedding wasn’t a good first meeting for a baby but agreed to go. It was about a two hour drive and I drove because his grandmother doesn’t like to drive. When we got there MIL came down and the minute she saw me the whole mood changed and she demanded to know why I was there.

I explained that I thought I was invited and she said I wasn’t, apologized for her moms lie but asked me to leave. His grandmother began to get emotional and demand that we talk it out because MIL needs a relationship with her son and grandchild. MIL just left and locked her mom out of the room she was getting ready in.

I was hurt and embarrassed and left. His demanded I stay and find somewhere to hang out so I can drive her but we refused. She is afraid of Uber and ended up having to drive back with her ex husband and his new much younger wife who she is extremely uncomfortable around. She called me in tears and told me how I put her in a horrible position.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kntfkr posted:

I think the cons of social media far outweigh the positive. Destroys relationships, the inequality on full blast that you're supposed to embrace, enabling of harassment, the direct increase on young suicides. And it's a total time sink. I mean so is SA but at least we have fun.

It does. The research on kids and screens/social media shows it's clearly not good. My kids and their friends do just fine with regular calls/group texts and stuff. But we're fortunate enough to live within walking distance of their schools and friends.

Have you got your kids learning the language if you're planning on going to China? My youngest boy has been taking it for about 8 months now and it's pretty cool.

(too bad a trip to China is waaay too expensive and troublesome right now.)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

in ancient days weddings consisted of getting half the village hammered in the barn and then walking home to gently caress

This is still how it works on Shetland and places like that, except everyone gets hammered then drives home.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I remember my sister, the day before her wedding, saying "I don't want to have a wedding anymore. I still want to be married, but I don't want to have a wedding."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I said that over and over for months before my wedding!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My ex-wife, while not a nearly as awful as some of these people, leaned over to me at one point during our wedding and asked, "Isn't it great that everyone in this room has to do what I want?"

Yes, I stayed married to her for four years after that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like a lot of things, weddings have been twisted by capitalism into hellworld versions of themselves that most favour the worst actors who have the most money involved.

Mind you, a 'traditional' wedding' was basically a property exchange.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for leaving my husbands grandmother stranded two hours from home, after she tricked us into attending a wedding?

The rare somewhat reasonable wedding crasher. If it turns out you aren't welcome, just say ok and leave.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I mean whatever and all but it seems kinda harsh not to to give the MIL a +1 lol

Like I get what she was saying but it’s her husbands mom not a friend or whatever.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

RoboRodent posted:

I remember my sister, the day before her wedding, saying "I don't want to have a wedding anymore. I still want to be married, but I don't want to have a wedding."

Everyone loves to poo poo, and everyone hates to wipe.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

MarcusSA posted:

I mean whatever and all but it seems kinda harsh not to to give the MIL a +1 lol

Like I get what she was saying but it’s her husbands mom not a friend or whatever.

I hadn't caught that. Yeah in what universe does the mother of the groom not get a +1 if she wants one?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for “causing” a coworker to get written up by HR

quote:

I(33M) work at an office job with lots of different people. The other day in the break room I was speaking with a coworker about the student loan system in the US. Another coworker(36F) who was eavesdropping interrupted us to say that only people like her who have kids should get a say in what is taught in schools. Not wanting to get into it, I tried to explain to her that wasn’t even what we were talking about. She kept replying that because I don’t ever plan on having kids I shouldn’t have any opinion on the educational system. This really annoyed me, even though it made no sense as an argument,and I told her verbatim, “ I’m not less of a person because I didn’t pop brats out of me.” She got really flustered and left. The next day I get called into our manager’s office where an HR rep and the coworker are waiting. The coworker goes on to say I harassed by saying I told her she should have her tubes tied and that she shouldn’t be” shooting a thousand kids out her vagina.” I was very annoyed and explained that was certainly not what I said. My story was corroborated by three other employees. Here is where I may be the rear end in a top hat, I in turn filed an HR complaint against this coworker for lying about me. Now she is under investigation and this looks like it might impact a promotion she is up for. People in the office are saying I should have let it go and it was over the line to report her that close to a promotion. I just feel it wouldn’t be an issue if she didn’t lie. AMITA?

People who make false HR complaints absolutely should not be promoted and be put in a position over anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Uncle Enzo posted:

I hadn't caught that. Yeah in what universe does the mother of the groom not get a +1 if she wants one?

Some brides really wanna be the relationship police, and the excuse you hear most of the time is: "It'll be awful if they break up and we have to see them in the pictures."

So many problems would be solved if brides stopped giving a poo poo about the pictures.