Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Split Pad users, what games do you find yourself taking them off and going back to joy-cons?
So far literally nothing. There's some games where motion controls no longer work but the larger sticks make up for it anyways.

I tried the new white joycon with Metroid Dread briefly and went back to the SPP immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So far literally nothing. There's some games where motion controls no longer work but the larger sticks make up for it anyways.

I tried the new white joycon with Metroid Dread briefly and went back to the SPP immediately.

Ok, I’m digging mine back out to give them a shot. Need to get used to them before I super glue the Mega Man one on.

Edit: Also I really don’t like the binbok ones, don’t know if I got the old version or not but the d pass sucks and you have to nearly turn the vibrate off or they shake the poo poo out of you. I know you can turn them off but the lights around the analog sticks were a terrible idea. Definitely feels like a third party attempt at something better.

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 5, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Len posted:

Is it really post game if the game ends once the credit roll and doesn't let you load it back up to tie up odds and ends?

yes

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Postman posted:

Someone in the AC thread said you can pay Leif 100k to get rid of all of your weeds. I didn't play for about 6 months and it honestly wasn't too bad to clean up manually, but if you're still rich from turnips or something it's nice there's a shortcut.

Don't kill your weeds, they're the most diverse flower in the game, they don't hurt your score and you can even water them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bushisms.txt posted:

Don't kill your weeds, they're the most diverse flower in the game, they don't hurt your score and you can even water them.

Also, they're necessary for grilled sea bass :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It hurts my hands after an hour or so and I have tiny hands.

Pro controller is much more comfortable.

Ah, I was wondering why you had problems, but that explains it. My own hands are fairly big and this is probably why I can hold my Switch for 3+ hours without getting more uncomfortable then slightly sweaty hands.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I cannot believe people play handheld mode with joycons for any appreciable amount of time. It's so uncomfortable.

Agreed; I hate it. I actually prefer to play with my SNES30 Pro + with the Switch in tablet mode (using a tablet holder not that awful kickstand).

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I've found my Satisfye grip helps a lot and the battery life on my launch Switch pretty much forces me to stop before it can get uncomfortable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Agreed; I hate it. I actually prefer to play with my SNES30 Pro + with the Switch in tablet mode (using a tablet holder not that awful kickstand).
I have a travel case that has a stand built into it that I use, the main problem is that you can't charge the console while it's in there. I've been thinking about picking up one of those passthrough charging stands, but I don't really use my Switch in handheld/tabletop mode enough to justify it any more.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you need extra battery life just buy a USB battery. You can use it with your phone too making it more useful in general. You don't get a nice fit and have a brick on the table but with multiple ports maybe everyone also wants to charge their phones up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dread is very good but am I supposed to have more than 3 energy tanks by the time I get to the G zone or am I just bad because this miniboss kills me in 3 hits

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't remember exactly how many are available at that point but Dread is stingy as gently caress with E-tanks and even when it does give them to you, enemies do so much damage it largely doesn't help much. If you feel underpowered, that's probably about right.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dread is very good but am I supposed to have more than 3 energy tanks by the time I get to the G zone or am I just bad because this miniboss kills me in 3 hits

Remember, no attack is unavoidable.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

If it’s the crab boss here’s a spoiler that helped me out massively because I never noticed it: you can slide underneath the crab when it rears up

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

HA. Finally beat that first Blitzball match. Screw you it matters. Wakka deserves it damnit.

I'm going to really enjoy playing my Numbersball game. But goodness do the Aurochs SUCK. They can't do anything well. I can't imagine the losses I'm going to rack training them to be halfway decent let alone trying to get better players (iirc that is something you can do).

Ok. Time to move on finally. It took me 5 failed attempts, which I don't think is bad, but there were the cutscenes, and I can't believe you can't skip or fast-forward through them, it's remarkable.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you mean the underwater boss, i think I had 4 energy tanks by then?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

HA. Finally beat that first Blitzball match. Screw you it matters. Wakka deserves it damnit.

I'm going to really enjoy playing my Numbersball game. But goodness do the Aurochs SUCK. They can't do anything well. I can't imagine the losses I'm going to rack training them to be halfway decent let alone trying to get better players (iirc that is something you can do).

Ok. Time to move on finally. It took me 5 failed attempts, which I don't think is bad, but there were the cutscenes, and I can't believe you can't skip or fast-forward through them, it's remarkable.

Speaking of Blitzball, someone said there was some anime soccer game that was basically a full game of Blitz ball. Anyone remember what this was? This post is making me want to play Blitz ball and I don't feel like playing through the FFX story again to play it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I loved blitzball

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Artix posted:

I don't remember exactly how many are available at that point but Dread is stingy as gently caress with E-tanks and even when it does give them to you, enemies do so much damage it largely doesn't help much. If you feel underpowered, that's probably about right.

I’d say dread is pretty generous with e-tanks

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
anyone have any luck with third party switch docks? I could buy another Nintendo official one, but my original one scratched my screen and I don't want to bother with that poo poo again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

anyone have any luck with third party switch docks? I could buy another Nintendo official one, but my original one scratched my screen and I don't want to bother with that poo poo again

Yep, have the Genki travel dock and it works like a charm

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep, have the Genki travel dock and it works like a charm

This and the jumpgate for more traditional dock.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

bushisms.txt posted:

This and the jumpgate for more traditional dock.

Genki stuff is backordered, but is the Jumpgate dock you're talking about this thing (https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Co-Det...ps%2C146&sr=8-3)?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Ok, I’m digging mine back out to give them a shot. Need to get used to them before I super glue the Mega Man one on.
The Mega Man ones look great. I bought the Pac-Man ones a while back because I liked the colored sticks and d-pad, so between that and my OG DXM model I already have two and have a difficult time justifying a third.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

pixaal posted:

Speaking of Blitzball, someone said there was some anime soccer game that was basically a full game of Blitz ball. Anyone remember what this was? This post is making me want to play Blitz ball and I don't feel like playing through the FFX story again to play it.

It's probably Captain Tsubasa.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

Genki stuff is backordered, but is the Jumpgate dock you're talking about this thing (https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Co-Det...ps%2C146&sr=8-3)?

this is what i use and it's perfect. hugely recommended.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
SMT is absolutely a stripped-down version of persona! Especially because it came first, it's still aping classic '80s RPG gameplay whereas newer franchises feel that need to shove all sorts of features, elaborate side quests, relationship Management, etc

Both are turn based RPGs where are you customize your party to exploit enemy weaknesses and cover your own. Both feature demons/personas that you can collect infuse, and both even have demon negotiation now. They also share the exact same collection of demons

The structure around the dungeon crawling is different sure. So what? Still a turn-based RPG

To me, stripped down actually is a positive because there's a lot of fluff in persona. It's just like the new fire emblem, the older ones are stripped down versions of it because the new one has all sorts of stupid social crap that gets in the way of the gameplay I want.

So stripped down in terms of fluff which I think is actually a merit rather than a downside. But as far as the raw RPG / dungeon crawling goes, I do enjoy SMT much much more because it just drops you into the thick of it. I wouldn't say the dungeon crawling or combat differs much in either franchises though.

Nocturne did have some pretty tough dungeons compared to persona but SMT 4 did away with all of that. I'm there for the scenery and the battles and the music n the pokémon collecting so I personally enjoy this change

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 5, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

does SMT have the mechanic where if you knock all the bad guys down, your team gangs up on them? or is that persona (or maybe just p4) only?

i really liked the combat in p4. i started out tolerating the high school life sim stuff but then i came around to it, but the fighting mechanics were fun

i never finished p4 because basically my team wasn't set up to do whatever it is you're supposed to do for the final boss and i couldn't trivially grind. i think i would've been able to do it with the pile of recovery items and stuff that i had, but it would've been hard and i didn't really want to gently caress with it. i really wish they would've just let me put it on easy for that fight

does SMT generally let you change difficulty whenever? if not, is that gonna change for smt5?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

does SMT have the mechanic where if you knock all the bad guys down, your team gangs up on them? or is that persona (or maybe just p4) only?

does SMT generally let you change difficulty whenever? if not, is that gonna change for smt5?

Mainline SMT doesn’t have all-out attacks, and hitting weaknesses doesn’t knock down your opponent. You still get extra turns in the recent games, but the turn order still goes to the next party member (so most of the time the extra turn doesn’t go to the party member that did the hit). This does mean you can keep getting extra turns by hitting the same enemy’s weakness (up to four), but they can do the same to you. All-out attacks are in other Persona games, but not 1 and 2.

My understanding of the way SMTV handles difficulty is that you can freely change difficulty, but once you’ve gone from hard to normal you can’t get back to hard (but you can swap between normal and casual all you want). I haven’t played the game myself, though, so I can’t confirm. I don’t remember which other ones let you do this

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 5, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We also got our NES Christmas of 88. Was that the year most kids got one? Wikipedia says it debuted in 85 in NA?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

Mainline SMT doesn’t have all-out attacks, and hitting weaknesses doesn’t knock down your opponent. You still get extra turns in the recent games, but the turn order still goes to the next party member (so most of the time the extra turn doesn’t go to the party member that did the hit). This does mean you can keep getting extra turns by hitting the same enemy’s weakness (up to four), but they can do the same to you.

My understanding for the way SMTV handles difficulty is that you can freely change difficulty, but once you’ve gone from hard to normal you can’t get back to hard (but you can swap between normal and casual all you want). I haven’t played the game myself, though, so I can’t confirm.

cool, thanks!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
You also would have probably been able to get by with fusing personas that have specific skills meant to counter that last boss, especially if you were in standard difficulty. You can grind but why bother when the game gives you so many tools to customize and adapt ( you may need to grind in hard I certainly did but I'm not very smart)

Huh, just like in classic RPG series shin megami tensei. It's almost like combat is straight up identical except for a few minor mechanics! I for one really enjoy persona but SMT is just so cool and edgy, feels like it comes from a different bygone era of anime

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The way reviewers are talking about the overworld in SMTV as this large and involved almost-dungeon has me really excited. My favorite parts of SMT are always when you're roaming around the overworld so a bigger emphasis on that is a win for me

It doesn't sound too open world either, seems like it might have a really good balance. I think fully open wouldn't work for what has mostly historically been a grueling linear RPG with random side branches here and there

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's the weekend and I'm gonna play the gently caress outta some metroid dread!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

pixaal posted:

If on Switch then as someone else said it might be Captain Tsubasa. Otherwise the only other thing that sounds close is Inazuma Eleven which is on 3DS (and a criminally overlooked series)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KingSlime posted:

You also would have probably been able to get by with fusing personas that have specific skills meant to counter that last boss, especially if you were in standard difficulty. You can grind but why bother when the game gives you so many tools to customize and adapt ( you may need to grind in hard I certainly did but I'm not very smart)

Huh, just like in classic RPG series shin megami tensei. It's almost like combat is straight up identical except for a few minor mechanics! I for one really enjoy persona but SMT is just so cool and edgy, feels like it comes from a different bygone era of anime

yeah iirc i fused away the persona i was "supposed" to be using (or maybe fused away one of his prereqs?) or something like that. i dont remember the details really, just that i didnt have the dude that i needed to get the right status effect and it was gonna be a PITA to get him

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's the weekend and I'm gonna play the gently caress outta some metroid dread!

Was going to get that this paycheck but now I have to buy plane tickets to go home for Xmas :(

I'm definitely buying SMTV but I don't know if I can justify another full price title after the plane plus having upgraded to a pixel 6. I need to really calm down with the spending. I hate the holidays!

Anyways, hoping to play Metroid dread next paycheck sigh. Also, I guess this is now the PYF recent purchase thread, tbh we're probably better off with that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
i dont rememebr if smt lets you change difficulty but the games only come with normal and hard. the rerelease of 3 had a easy mode free dlc and it seemed almost like it was a joke because it was comically easy. 5s also doing the optional free easy mode download, but probably will be the same ultra easy setting

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think a stripped down Persona is good because the fluff is usually dull and the battles system is worse. I fell off Persona 3 because of the out of dungeon stuff and picked up Nocturne and it was exactly what I was looking for. it was great I’m glad the series are different so people can enjoy their teenager dating game and I can play a version of it that’s more challenging and battle focused without stepping on each others toes like what happened to Fire Emblem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Tartarus in P3 is insanely bad, I was able to stomach it during a college break for the most part because I played a lot of dumb old RPGs but my patience was really running thin around 70% of the way. Not sure I would have the patience for it now.

Overall persona 3 has a pretty cool spooky vibe tho