Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nacholotl Tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Alucard posted:

Hosting some folks for a viewing party of ⊃⋃⋂⊂ and trying to get some ideas for theme relevant snacks.

Any suggestions on top of these are welcome:

Muad'Dip - Hummus + Carrots
Water of Life - Margarita with Blue Curacao
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Chai-Hulud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF1iSzOll34

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
That coffee looks so good.

Heart of artichoke plugs.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Duncan Fries

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

cocaine mixed with cinnamon for spice

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Frementos

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

gummy worms served on a bed of salt

also, weed

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
3 layer bean gesserit dip

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have been wondering, since dune has had a dedicated culty fanbase for many decades, a large percentage of which is nerdy engineering/science types:

has anyone ever attempted to build a functioning stillsuit?

i saw a dude on shark tank once with some kind of weird pants that you could piss into, in case of emergency. but it did not recycle the water and make it drinkable again. i guess basically just a diaper but the size of full pants and made of rubber. the sharks didn't like it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 5, 2021

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
So is there a reason why the Baron calls Leto his cousin the movie? Are they using it in a non-literal sense? Just seems weird to include given that readers know Leto is literally Shaddam’s cousin.

Are they going to omit Jessica’s parentage reveal because it’ll seem like a ripoff of The Empire Strikes Back to new fans? Leto holding Jessica, the daughter of his cousin, starts to get into incest territory (not that the book doesn’t have plenty of incest in other ways)

I saw the movie for a second time last night. I didn’t think the editing was especially flashy on first viewing (especially compared to something like Incendies or Arrival which do amazing cross-cutting during crucial reveals), but I was able to appreciate how finely tuned the editing was to communicate the maximum amount of information in the subtlest form possible. Like when Paul is watching the video about spice, and the camera cuts to the shot of the Guild ship… very subtle but effective way of communicating a lot of information.

Earwicker posted:

i have been wondering, since dune has had a dedicated culty fanbase for many decades, a large percentage of which is nerdy engineering/science types:

https://www.cc.com/video/f31bgc/nathan-for-you-becoming-the-chili-man

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it took me until the third viewing to get that the duke being able to fly the 'thopter so well was setup when he said he wanted to be a pilot earlier

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cheese wheels within cracker wheels

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
water

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Earwicker posted:

i saw a dude on shark tank once with some kind of weird pants that you could piss into, in case of emergency. but it did not recycle the water and make it drinkable again. i guess basically just a diaper but the size of full pants and made of rubber. the sharks didn't like it.

In case of emergency.

Absolutely not a fetish

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Earwicker posted:

I don't know about people actually building suits but there have been a ton of nerdonauts who write big thinkpieces on the viability of stillsuits or what it would take to build something with the same functionality. Most people run into theoretical problems right away in the design stage, although it would be interesting to see what some of these rich maker kid youtubers with CNC machines in their garages could come up with if they just started prototyping immediately.

The technology required to reclaim body water is actually basically hitting Fremen levels already, only not on earth. Astronauts reclaim ~90% of their urine and sweat water in space, the catch is that it goes through a huge set of filters that's like the size of a few fridges. There's just no way to miniaturize the technology and also have it run from only body movements currently.

One of those big tanks is called the Urine Processor Assembly. I never thought about it but I bet the stillsuits have all sorts of part name too. They just call them thigh pads but the guys who are stitching the things together know all about the Dookie Dehydration Chambers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jewmanji posted:

So is there a reason why the Baron calls Leto his cousin the movie? Are they using it in a non-literal sense? Just seems weird to include given that readers know Leto is literally Shaddam’s cousin.

They’re cousins in the sense of being nobility (thus are all kind of part of the same inbred mega-family) and they’re supposed to refer to one another as “cher cousin”. The Baron in the book calls him this, too, but Leto never returns the courtesy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Frank was big into doing shrooms so get some of those.

take out some bloomin onions from Outback, call it "the Dream Unfolds."

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 5, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The biofilm in a used still suit must be unholy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

The biofilm in a used still suit must be unholy

number 2 and 3 imports into Arrakis after coffee are bleach and white vinegar.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

skasion posted:

They’re cousins in the sense of being nobility (thus are all kind of part of the same inbred mega-family) and they’re supposed to refer to one another as “cher cousin”. The Baron in the book calls him this, too, but Leto never returns the courtesy.

Ah interesting I didn’t remember that in the book. Still, I find it strange that they’d choose to leave that in, but not address Jessica’s parentage. Feels like it raises questions unintentionally.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

uber_stoat posted:

number 2 and 3 imports into Arrakis after coffee are bleach and white vinegar.

They sandblast everything.

Have you ever seen paper in a sietch?

They sandblast everything

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is sandblasting a fremen sex thing?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Omnicarus posted:

Is sandblasting a fremen sex thing?

What does your heartplug tell you?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

beefswelling leads to sandblasting

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Reread the Appendix and was shocked and delighted to read about how the Fremen created improvised stillsuits for their pack animals. Do it, Denis.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No chance, mate, that's a misconception and does not track with the way serial fantasy publication was still being done in the 50s and 60s. Dune 1 itself is already 3 books long, and too many changes occurred in Frank's life and writing style over the course of next 11 years that it took him to write Messiah and Children for any of it to be so thoroughly articulated beforehand. He only had just started even getting recognition for his writing like half a decade after Dune 1, and while Messiah is a direct continuation and conclusion of the themes of Dune 1 it's absolutely written from a different frame of mind. Children is even more far removed from his original vantage, already encompassing 7 years of major life changes for the Herberts that directly influenced his writing style and themes, to the point that it coheres rather poorly with the original story. There is no way that there was some concrete master publishing plan for all of this poo poo in advance, and if Frank ever suggested as such then he was being either boastful or hyperbolic.
I finally found the source for the thing about the first three books being a single novel:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Also, since we're talking about intentions and such:
[long quote that I've left out of this]
That's what Frank himself wrote, in a 1980 issue of Omni Magazine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One thing that I'm really surprised they included in the film was the walking without rhythm. The scene where Paul is showing Jessica how to do it was almost comical, "do the same moves as me" I was sure was meant to get a laugh but it was earnest. The film probably could have done without that.

Sardaukar introduction was dope as hell, the throat-singing guy was awesome and their captain (I can only assume that was Nefud) did a good job selling how intimidating and scary they were.

I'm surprised they left out all exposition about the mentats, since that's also kind of a big part of Paul's training. The eye roll thing was very cool though, an excellent way to convey that these aren't normal thinking dudes.

Soundtrack was incredible. Those big percussion rolls that almost sounded mechanically arrhythmic were in my dreams.

I watched it with a couple of friends who aren't nearly on my level of fandom and one friend who didn't know anything about the books at all. Everyone loved it, which is a really good sign.

Also, what the hell was with the weird voice right at the beginning, immediately before the WB and Legendary logo crawls? It said something like "dreams are doors to the other side" in an appropriately guttural and alien-sounding language.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dreams are messages from the deep.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, what the hell was with the weird voice right at the beginning, immediately before the WB and Legendary logo crawls? It said something like "dreams are doors to the other side" in an appropriately guttural and alien-sounding language.

It was a Sardaukar, according to the editor.

Another question: Kynes says in the movie that there were terraforming efforts underway and then were abandoned long ago back when melange was first discovered. Was she just being evasive about the fact that she was still working on the ecological project? If we take her at her word it seems very strange that the movie would make it appear like those terraforming efforts are dormant. Then again, moments later Paul tells Kynes that he’s seen her dream and can make it happen, so maybe he’s seeing through her dissembling?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

sebmojo posted:

Dreams are messages from the deep.

Oh poo poo Dune-The Boys crossover incoming!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think she was referring to imperial terraforming specifically

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's it, yeah thanks. Upon searching and re-listening it really does sound like the Sardaukar language but I wonder why that is... Upon hearing it in the theatre I thought "oh drat that's got to be a Navigator" but that wouldn't really make much sense either.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mister Speaker posted:

That's it, yeah thanks. Upon searching and re-listening it really does sound like the Sardaukar language but I wonder why that is... Upon hearing it in the theatre I thought "oh drat that's got to be a Navigator" but that wouldn't really make much sense either.

Well, doesn't the entire series end with Paul's grand daughter taking a Sardaukar concubine or something? Maybe its a non-temporal voice from the future?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm thinking it's probably just 'the imperial language', not 'the Sardaukar language', even though the imperium aren't really the ones doing the 'prophecy' angle. Could be anyone then. Also could have just been an aesthetic choice since that language does sound cool as gently caress.

Speaking of language, one thing I really liked was the fact that all written script was in some alien font or another. Yueh's message looked kinda like broken sanskrit, I think some of the holograms Paul learns with were in a different script, the short shots of OC Bibles we see, and even the Atreides gravestones had what looked like accented Greek letters on them. An excellent way to convey that these people and their society are so far removed from what we know.

The Voice was done almost exactly as I anticipated but it was still cool as hell, especially the first times you hear it (Paul's first attempt and GHM commanding him to kneel). The last time it's used in the film, Paul telling Jessica to get off of him, was particularly impactful emotionally.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 5, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like that the made the voice very performative rather than simple magic

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
also, there were bagpipes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was actually a genetically modified dog screaming in pain

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DandyLion posted:

Well, doesn't the entire series end with Paul's grand daughter taking a Sardaukar concubine or something? Maybe its a non-temporal voice from the future?
Pauls daughter, Ghanima, has a consort named Farad'n - who was the brought up trained by the Sardukar.

As for vision-voices, there's two distinct ones near as I can figure: Chanis, and that of an old woman. The old womans voice could be the one that's at the very beginning of the movie.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 5, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

And ghanima was never heard from again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

euphronius posted:

And ghanima was never heard from again.
She was the basis of Leto IIs entire breeding program though.