Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the heavy modular frame / computer stage of the game leaves me feeling vaguely annoyed for some reason

maybe it's the leap in factory distances without trains, or maybe it's the absurd leap in raw quantities needed to make computers at more than a ludicrously slovenly pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Needing 5 slow-rear end frame assemblers to run 1 glacial heavy frame manufacturer run at 100% is aggravating but it’s just a friendly notice that poo poo is about to get both enormous and slower than you can imagine

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's also where you are supposed to realize you go out and explore/ build supply lines for hours and hours while this stuff runs in the background.

So when you come back to base you have that sweet sweet haul of 11 computers and 8 hmfs

:(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's the real reason let's game it out spends 40 hours making belt tornadoes, waiting for manufacturing

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I accidentally left the game running over a weekend and it had filled a poo poo ton of large containers with computers so I have those for days now. Wish I had done an overflow bypass to the sink though :sigh:

I watched a couple videos on signals and I think I understand them better. It looks like going path -> block signals is a really useful method especially when doing spurs and merges. And just chopping up the segments so it doesn't stall trains waiting for a long segment to clear.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think it's mostly screws that make me cross

Everything else is fine, but Screws appear often enough in recipes, in their painfully high quantities, to make me go "augh not this again"

And I'm saying this having straight-up cheated in the Casted Screws alternate so I'm skipping rods! (get hosed, Dread Arengee)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I think it's mostly screws that make me cross

Everything else is fine, but Screws appear often enough in recipes, in their painfully high quantities, to make me go "augh not this again"

And I'm saying this having straight-up cheated in the Casted Screws alternate so I'm skipping rods! (get hosed, Dread Arengee)

I got a hard drive with steel screws I went from several rods --> screws constructors making 40/min to a single one producing 260/min. I was filling up an industrial container so quickly that it could have replaced all my existing screw production. That was a good recipe to have, and I think there are still others that eliminate screws from the mix. Collect those easy hdds and save them until you unlock steel so it has a chance to appear early

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i think if i restarted i'd focus a lot lot less on being efficient with my ore veins, and more on running around getting early hard drives, yeah

i'm up to building computers and have researched like 4 drives total so far. i don't like exploring i guess, dying sucks :(

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I restarted for U5 and I have to say i like the 'beginner' grassland start. There are 2 initial impure iron right there, but 3 more normals right across a large open area, and 2 more impure not far from that. It really covers a lot of inefficient factory early on, and its pen enough that i can truck in a bunch more. Near-ish was a large area for coal production, so my early power was taken care of. There is a nice pure iron there so steel was easily made there as well.

I think the only annoyance was quartz, but shortly after that I was gathering resources to make trains and picking out my new base spot

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I kinda turbo through the tech tree so I'm able to make most of the crash site requirements and then go on a hard drive world tour, then build real factories with the alt recipes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ciaphas posted:

i think if i restarted i'd focus a lot lot less on being efficient with my ore veins, and more on running around getting early hard drives, yeah

i'm up to building computers and have researched like 4 drives total so far. i don't like exploring i guess, dying sucks :(

Passive mod eliminates getting killed and the fall damage mod referenced a bit ago eliminates death by falling. I use both, noting that they don't work in experimental.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where's my alt recipe to make foundations out of quartz? I just want glittering towers of pure quartz coffeestain

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

If you're up to computers you should have the jetpack now. That makes not dying a whole lot easier. You're good on fall damage, and if monsters sneak up on you just fly straight up and build a short tower of 4m foundations to land on. None of the enemies can hurt you if you pillar up.

But at the place you're at in the tech tree, I cannot emphasize enough how much you want a lot more alternate recipes. For oil in particular, the alternates are such a huge deal that IMO it's not worth making a permanent, large scale oil refinery without them. You don't have to get the complete set, just a few will allow you to be far more flexible and productive with oil.

Aside from that, what I did at that spot in the game was to get very temporary with production lines for circuit boards & computers, and even my first oil refineries were extremely slapdash. (I had to drive over from my base to collect rubber or plastic, and manually empty the waste heavy oil buffers.) But that was ok because the only goal was to make enough computers to unlock trains and start expanding out into the world.

This is the point where all the new things start requiring diverse resources that you generally can't find all in one place.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

IMO the whole hard drive system sucks butts and gives huge decision paralysis (to me, anyway). The thought of building a large factory using not only sub-optimal recipes but also completely different ingredients and infrastructure from what you want to use is awful.

You want to unlock recipes, so you delay building a factory and hunt hard drives, but you need to have tech unlocked to get hard drives which requires building a factory but maaaaayybe you could get the next couple by doing things manually. Next thing you know it's 4 hours later and you've been manually filling up assemblers and crafting things by hand and you've had no fun the whole time.

I cheated in all the hard drive recipes and it has made my experience infinitely better. Sure it's "easier" but I want to have a good time building a factory, so who cares.

I also don't like how very necessary and not just cosmetic things are locked behind coupons like floor holes and conveyor walls and wall power poles so I cheated those unlocks too. If I'm still playing in a month I can do the statues legit.

This whole debacle would be a lot less annoying if the game had better tools for tearing down and building new factories. Building them is fun.... Partly. Planning and designing them is great, but there's a huge amount of legwork of just mindlessly clicking the 5000 belts and splitters and wires that you'll need, so the thought of spending 2 hours building one that will be defunct in 5 hours and will take another 20 minutes to tear down is just.... Eh.

You could say leave it there and just disconnect it, but then you have an eyesore and a thing taking up space you probably need.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 5, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I hated exploring until I got the jumpy legs thing, and then the jetpack. Also, the realization I could STILL BUILD THINGS away from my base was big... for some reason when I was out exploring I put that part of the game out of my head. Now I build bunkers/kennels for hostile wildlife when I'm coming up to a crash site with a bunch of wildlife around it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Don't worry about making optimal factories until you're in the endgame imo. Sure you could get a lot more circuit boards if you did the elaborate build with heavy oil residue and diluted fuel and the recycled plastic/rubber loop, but at that point in the game you probably only want them so you can make enough computers to build fuel generators or some limited application like that. The times I end up hard drive hunting are usually when I have basic production for everything set up and I'm just waiting for the single machines I have making space elevator parts to finish up so I can move to the next stage. Unless you spend a ton of time making diluted fuel plants you won't have enough power infrastructure to really maximize what you're getting out of your nodes anyway and doing it without mk.5 belts or blenders adds a bunch of needless build complexity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Taffer posted:

IMO the whole hard drive system sucks butts and gives huge decision paralysis (to me, anyway). The thought of building a large factory using not only sub-optimal recipes but also completely different ingredients and infrastructure from what you want to use is awful.

So the flipside to this, and why I think HDs & alt recipes are fine, is that they give you some replayability if you are a person who can take what you get and deal with not having the "best" all the time. I've only played a small number of worlds, but the one thing that keeps me interested doing the early game again is new ways to deal with basic problems. And a lot of that is "which alts do I have this time?" Do I have alternate screws, or will I say screw screws and cut them?

edit: no shame though in cheating the unlocks if the "legit" way isn't fun though. I also enjoy exploring & going on HD collection missions is a thing that's fun for me, so I also tend to have enough HDs.

Taffer posted:

This whole debacle would be a lot less annoying if the game had better tools for tearing down and building new factories. Building them is fun.... Partly. Planning and designing them is great, but there's a huge amount of legwork of just mindlessly clicking the 5000 belts and splitters and wires that you'll need, so the thought of spending 2 hours building one that will be defunct in 5 hours and will take another 20 minutes to tear down is just.... Eh.

You do know about mass dismantle, right? Only there have been a few people ITT who miss it until it's pointed out and then they're like oooohhhhhhhhhh.

Like, I've got builds that would take more than 20 minutes to erase, but they ain't 2 hour builds. More like 50 hours. Anything I can build in under 5 hours is a 5 minute teardown.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 5, 2021

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I think iteration is a huge part of the core gameplay loop, which is what the alternative recipes really help emphasize.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Klyith posted:

You do know about mass dismantle, right? Only there have been a few people ITT who miss it until it's pointed out and then they're like oooohhhhhhhhhh.

Like, I've got builds that would take more than 20 minutes to erase, but they ain't 2 hour builds. More like 50 hours. Anything I can build in under 5 hours is a 5 minute teardown.

Yeah but it's still really slow, and importantly leaves dozens of those little inventory boxes floating in the sky everywhere which is very annoying. And all those little belts that go between splitters and machines that are occluded by everything else and are really hard to select en mass. My point isn't so much that dismantling is slow (though it's slower than it should be), but just that it's really annoying and fiddly. Just let me do a real area selection and put the whole thing in one big box.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Alternative recipes and hard drives should get reworked at some point. I doubt it's intended that you either hoard hard drives or wait til significantly later in the game to run around swooping them all up.

It should really be an unlock tree like the MAM research. I know they probably want to differentiate the two mechanics, but the combined factors of recipe RNG coupled with invisible gating criteria (the tier unlocks) really make it less fun, on the whole. Or maybe they could turn the unlocks into little side quests or something.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Isnt there 1 extra HDD out there then all the current alt recopies ? if the wiki is accurate?

So its a matter of very bad luck if you are not getting 'good' alt ones. But there are a lot of ones not to bother with that would be pointless to unlock pre steel and again at oil to lower your chances, forcing you to get harder and harder drives

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

deconstruction grenades when

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Unponderable posted:

I doubt it's intended that you either hoard hard drives or wait til significantly later in the game to run around swooping them all up.

Neither of those are intended, and also they're not optimal play. HDs are spaced out all over the map, and the ones that are in / near the start zones have early game components for their unlocks (and their scatter items). As you get further from the start zones they get harder to open. So there's a natural tempo for collecting them throughout the game.

Hoarding HDs until later is counterproductive. Since the alts can be for anything you have the unlocks to use, if you save them you'll just have a larger pool of alts to look through for the ones you want. The best way to use HDs is to do them throughout the progression so that you always both have a pool of decent options to choose from, and get useful alts that are good throughout the game (like cast/steel screws). Leaving HDs unresearched is only a thing you want to do when you collect enough that you've exhausted all your good current unlocks.

I have that happen because I enjoy zooming around in the explorer and bombing enemies, even before I have a jetpack or rifle. So I collect more HDs than the average person.

Doing a bunch of HDs before the late game is only a thing we're telling people to do when they haven't done them at all during progression, because they don't enjoy exploration.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The one thing I dislike about Hard drives is if I go out and collect a bunch of them I have to wait consecutive ten minute periods to unlock all of them. So if I go and grab 6 hard drives I am waiting an IRL hour until they are all unlocked. Oh, and I have to physically be at the location so if my game is spread out enough I don't want to go to far away because I'll just have to come back 10 minutes later. This can be shortened by setting up a quick MAM near where you're working, but I'm still being interrupted so I can go start the next hard drive. I can't build more MAMs or anything to speed it up. I'd find the system much more pleasant if it was just instant.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I usually just put a MAM down as soon as I get a drive, then deconstruct it once it’s going. Even if I’m looking at the next wreck while I’m doing that it still might take me 10 minutes to get there (less now that ramp zooping is a thing I guess)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

LonsomeSon posted:

I usually just put a MAM down as soon as I get a drive, then deconstruct it once it’s going. Even if I’m looking at the next wreck while I’m doing that it still might take me 10 minutes to get there (less now that ramp zooping is a thing I guess)

Yeah I acknowledge there are work arounds to the physical location thing since we can poof buildings our of thing air for some metals plates or whatever. Still annoying tho, and there's no way around the 10 minute timer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what i'd love for burning up bases is a +1 mode, like "destruct this object and all objects attached to it" (nonrecursively because jesus christ)

Especially in combination with mass dismantle, being able to tear down a screw factory completely by hovering over 20 constructors and tapping ctrl would be aces

(edit) actually is that a mod, and if it isn't, i need to flex the programming muscle and mod that in

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

whoever said you should be able to just buy alternate recipes you want (with hard drives, or in the MAM, or with garbage disposal tickets, I don't remember which) had a better idea than the devs for that

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Clark Nova posted:

whoever said you should be able to just buy alternate recipes you want (with hard drives, or in the MAM, or with garbage disposal tickets, I don't remember which) had a better idea than the devs for that

If they did this they wouldn't be able to troll the player anymore by offering them two alternative recipes for coal and the one for automated portable miners.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If they did this they wouldn't be able to troll the player anymore by offering them two alternative recipes for coal and the one for automated portable miners.

charcoal and biocoal are completely :psyduck: recipes. Who has ever used these?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Has there been any mention of development on the fauna in the game? I'd love to see it more like ARK, but I get that ARK is a creature based game with construction tacked on and Satisfactory is a construction based game with creatures tacked on.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
The most exciting addition with experimental has been the very, very slight misalignments on foundations which breaks conveyor lifts. I'm staring at what was supposed to be just the beginnings of my plastic factory and the possibility of having to dismantle the whole thing.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Whomever suggested the switch to vulkan had me working for hours with no crash, but I did have to lower my resolution to 1080 from 1440. No choice at higher

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coffee Sludge posted:

The most exciting addition with experimental has been the very, very slight misalignments on foundations which breaks conveyor lifts. I'm staring at what was supposed to be just the beginnings of my plastic factory and the possibility of having to dismantle the whole thing.

Are you using the lift floor holes? Because if so you might be having problems with that, not foundations. The floor holes are particular about the order of what to connect first. Also conveyor lifts seem to have gotten a nerf in how much play they have to make connections. Before they could do stuff like this:

now that doesn't connect.

But I'm not sure how you're getting foundation misalignments unless you're either using the new rotation angle system or placing things off the grid using new parts. (The flat frame part can throw off your vertical alignment, slightly less than 1/3rd meter thick.)

Roundboy posted:

Whomever suggested the switch to vulkan had me working for hours with no crash, but I did have to lower my resolution to 1080 from 1440. No choice at higher

Weird. GPU drivers up to date?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i am extremely and irrationally irritated that nobelisks don't get rid of those poo-gas rocks :mad:

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I am debating booting this game up after not really playing it since the first or second installment came out, do I need to know anything or just get out there and build the fudge outta a factory and hope for the best?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If you want the latest update, make sure you're on experimental branch (you can get this from the game properties in steam, or there's a separate game in the epic library for experimental)

there's some cool shortcuts that might not be obvious, like F -> Middle mouse button to copy whatever building you're looking at and allow you to build more without having to find it in the menu. And alt + scroll to switch hotbars. Once you're settled into a game, it could be worthwhile to take some time to learn some of these controls to make playing the game go smoother.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Klyith posted:

The floor holes are particular about the order of what to connect first.

In my experience, this is no longer the case after the most recent patch. I can now hook up floor holes in whichever order I want and it just works. I've even done lifts going from floor hole to floor hole.

GotDonuts posted:

I am debating booting this game up after not really playing it since the first or second installment came out, do I need to know anything or just get out there and build the fudge outta a factory and hope for the best?

Some recipes have been changed and while you can load old saves, any setups made for the old recipes will need to be changed to work. If last time you played was before pipes, anything to do with coal power or oil needs to be remade.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GotDonuts posted:

There are 4 start locations. If you hate manually feeding fuel into the bioburner power generators, pick the dune desert location as it is the easiest to get coal power up and running. If you don't mind the bioburners, I highly recommend the rock desert as a good start location for being able to take your time with the early game and have good expansion directions when you're ready.

Aside from that, build some factory and don't worry too much about making your first stuff perfect. It's natural for everything you build at the start to be a mess, and early game factories become obsolete over time anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any tips on the modular engines and adaptive control units? I am finally doing the tier unlocks on the space elevator and cranked out a ton of versatile frameworks pretty quickly and just need those two.

Also on my energy graph the blue line is what is required if everything powers up right? Better add some capacity!!