Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've just received a Labour data breach email.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of the Labour Party or affiliated union member. The only reason they have my details is because I volunteered during the election campaign (or possibly from making a donation to Momentum, when I probably used the same email address). I don't know if that helps the thread narrow down what database was compromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's probably a massive database of potential lefties that they've collated from every possible data source. I was a Labour member to vote in Corbyn, and I was only a paid up member for that one year.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was talking to someone at work earlier and couldn't remember whether Owen Patterson still gets his golden farewell from Parliament now he's resigned instead of getting booted.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/War_Takes/status/1456679465099091969

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol https://twitter.com/Pumpkinz16/status/1456603433595777029

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The funny tinge has been eliminated

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

fuctifino posted:

"Pay us more, then we won't need to be corrupt."
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1456583560224202757

So, it's an out and out protection racket. "Be a shame if this pretty legislation got ruined..." *rrrip*

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I wouldn't be opposed to them getting more money as a salary if it meant they couldn't have other employment while sitting as an MP.

I mean, a bunch of them bitch and moan about how busy they are, then you check the register of interests, and they've got 17 side jobs (I was going to say 'side hustles', but in these cases, it's the MP job that's the hustle) making them 10x what they make as an MP.

[edit]
The argument you always hear is "we have to pay MPs more otherwise we won't be able to keep attracting talent to the role"; and then you look at the last few Tory cabinets

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 5, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The entire system is corrupt, and has always been like this. Laws in this country are decided by lobbyists behind closed doors, and the lobbying always involves briefcases of cash. Public opinion is then altered and moulded to suit any proposed changes to the laws through propaganda via the tabloids, soap operas and media, and that's how our 'democracy' works.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

peanut- posted:

Fire pits are a nice idea but in reality every time I've sat round one the experience has been smoke blowing directly into my face and stinking clothes.

If I was going to buy one it would be one with a chimney.

From a lot of trial and error I've learned that this is because the fire isn't hot enough and your kindling is lightly burning.

I dunno if it's the right thing to do but I basically just keep chucking on more kindling until the logs are engulfed in roaring flames.

For me the issues with firepits are that they last way longer than you ever need for entrainment. Almost every time we've used it my guests either have to leave or want to go back inside before the fire is dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was also under the impression that smoke often indicates incomplete combustion and can in some cases be alleviated by improved ventilation or a secondary combustion to set fire to the smoke itself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Make an actual fire pit for fire and you can solve both problems (incomplete combustion and it being in the way when people get bored (but not the problem of having big holes in the garden)).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

I was also under the impression that smoke often indicates incomplete combustion and can in some cases be alleviated by improved ventilation or a secondary combustion to set fire to the smoke itself.

Kinda hard to do properly with an open fire pit. To control factors like that you need to enclose the fire and also have a proper draft.

One way to do it is to use a fan and blow from the bottom up, that's how I built my coke forge, I have noticed with the fan going even at low speed it'll burn wood almost smokelessly. It'd be great for an incinerator, not so much for a comfy crackling fire. Then you're back to having to enclose the fire and building the enclosure so it leads in secondary air at the right spots.

I also have an actual firepit, it's 1.5m in diameter, made from an old water tank bottom.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For sure you can't really do it if you just want to put a fire on the ground, but it seems like something you could probably do fairly easily with some bricks and a grate.

The metal ones also go really manky IME and take up a lot of space when you don't want to use them, bricks you can take apart and stack up when not in use, and they don't rust.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Persimmon are working on it.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

Make an actual fire pit for fire and you can solve both problems (incomplete combustion and it being in the way when people get bored (but not the problem of having big holes in the garden)).

Is that bit of earth suspended in mid air similar to those statics problems with a ruler, a hammer and a rubber band?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I bought a Rocket Stove back in 2019 (a camping model off Amazon), i have yet to use it but from what i've read and seen on internet it creates very little smoke due to combustion of the gasses given off.

Might have to do a trial run in case the UK collapses into rolling blackouts this winter.

edited for more info.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

domhal posted:

Is that bit of earth suspended in mid air similar to those statics problems with a ruler, a hammer and a rubber band?

Are you a Flatlander?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They can be very touchy about the fuel-air mix and wood moisture content. If you run them on dry chopped sticks they're fine once they're hot, but I've seen them mostly decide to make thick wet smoke before.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are you a Flatlander?

Carl Sagan warned me about this!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Get on the loving throne, Harry

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

They can be very touchy about the fuel-air mix and wood moisture content. If you run them on dry chopped sticks they're fine once they're hot, but I've seen them mostly decide to make thick wet smoke before.

Good to know, i've got a lot of wind but unfortunately also a lot of wet sticks, i'll store some to dry out for future use. :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

Carl Sagan warned me about this!

drat Flatlanders, coming over here, taking an infinitesimally small slice of our jobs! :argh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Good to know, i've got a lot of wind

Probably best you spend a lot of time out in the garden tending the fire then

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My garden is tiny, and a 1.5m firepit would be way too close to the house or fences. It'll have to be a dinky little firepit with a dinky little fire, for my dinky litle social circle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely might recommend loose bricks then, you can make it any size you want, or set it up as a barbeque if you want too.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was thinking of stumping up for one of those gas powered outdoor heaters instead of a fire pit as I have a gas bbq for cooking and a weber smoker for coal and wood burning.

Seems they're about 120 quid for a decent one. I just am not sure I'd use it much. Spent dinner in the garden with the neighbours, made apfelpunsch and gluhwein and grilled some bratwurst. Just wore a coat and was fine.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Best thing for fire pits are Swedish candles, cos they’re lazy, ventilation is done for you, and you can add logs if you need to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We didn't brexit to have all these weberschiffchen and swedish apples and bathursts in our fire pits, where are the bricks that go rusty?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Dakota Fire Hole got 6 nominations at the 2006 AVN awards.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I know that patriotism gets a bad rap round these parts but I felt a genuine surge of :britain: at the two blokes hand-holding Roman Candles so they could get a better shot at the expensive-looking drone that was buzzing the bit of foreshore where everyone was letting off their fireworks tonight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Improvised anti aircraft weaponry is the purview of the international proletariat.

I still like the guy who nailed a drone with a javelin at a ren fair, so they put his slaying of the beast on a shield

E: even better, a runestone.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 5, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They'll come a time when you'll all realise your horrible treatment of our young new co-shepherds of the planet, our robotic, digital brethren reflects very poorly upon you. You'll be ashamed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They'll come a time when you'll all realise your horrible treatment of our young new co-shepherds of the planet, our robotic, digital brethren reflects very poorly upon you. You'll be ashamed.

This guy in particular is hosed

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If it ever comes to war with the machines my almost supernatural ability to render the most robust machinery completely inert simply by looking at it will make me Humanity's saviour.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Just checked my junk folder and I have the data breach email. I am not now and nor have I ever been etc, only time I've given them my data was to sign up to vote in the 2015 leadership election. So add that to goon-labour-data-breach.xls

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Holy poo poo, maybe the Tories are in trouble:

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1456750179470675980

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Nah, that's just the Express telling Boris he should start looking for other jobs.
Gove's got this one stitched up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
All the media hoohah with "the Tories are in trouble" always ignores that Johnson can just sit on his shambling hunchback rear end until May 2024 when he has no choice but to call an election. He's unlikely to see a leadership challenge since he delivered an 80 seat majority and Got Brexit Dun. Even the Paterson fiasco is already seeing the sycophants unifying behind "Boris was distracted by important affairs of state and COP26! It was all Rees-Mogg's fault!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lol the government is now officially worse than the regime from V for Vendetta:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1456770862766559240