Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Man, this roundabout talk is so bizarre to me! Here in Aus it's a fundamental part of driving, since we have roundabouts throughout our suburbs. Everyone knows about them here - even if they decide to disregard the law in favour of blasting through the roundabout anyway, to save a few seconds! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FBS posted:

In my experience in Texas and Illinois we can handle one-lane roundabouts reasonably well, but as soon as you add a second lane it breaks our poor stupid brains.

There's a two-lane roundabout outside our local Costco that gets a lot of traffic and almost literally half the time I go through there (without turning in to the Costco) somebody violates my right of way.

Yeah I was just at one in the UP which was a 2 lane/1 lane (went back and forth) roundabout and just..assumed the guy was going to exit the roundabout and went right in and woops, he had to slam on the brakes. Felt like a giant idiot

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Got into an accident last night. A guy decided that a shoulder should be his personal turning lane, completely ignoring the fact that I was making the same right turn from an actual lane. Nobody's hurt, just some bent metal and scrapes.

Bizarre thing is, when I went to pull the footage from my blueskysea camera, that clip was nowhere to be found. I'm recording 60 second clips, and have reliable uninterrupted footage for hours before and several minutes after. Just not those 60 seconds. Could this be from the impact? I'm actually going to reach out to support and see what they say. But I've been promoting these cameras here for years now, maybe that's about to change.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I lost ~1.5 seconds of (Thinkware) footage in my crash but that was an insane impact that resulted in severe injuries and damage to 6 cars so doesn't sound like quite the same situation as yours. And it was only 1.5 seconds not an entire 60 second clip.

e: I contacted Thinkware and other than asking me if my memory card was on their approved list (it was, it came with the camera) they didn't offer much in the way of explanation but did send me a free replacement camera as a "lol sorry our product failed when you needed it most" apology.

The lost footage wouldn't have made a difference in the lawsuit or anything anyway but it would have been cool as hell to see.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 12, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm a thread gawker rather than a dashcam haver but it seems insane to me that they would fail at <10g. Like stop recording video I could kind of see, but it shouldn't be that hard to build robust storage for things that include serious shock as an intended usecase.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Microsd holders aren't that robust

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Charles posted:

This is the answer. I have to re-seat the cards in mine every season or I get errors. I usually pull the cards every 3 months to clear the saved folders anyhow, but if I forget (and it's 2020, so we barely drive), I usually get card errors after the ambient temperature changes significantly. This is across 3 cameras.

And that's just temp changes, not impacts.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PittTheElder posted:

I'm a thread gawker rather than a dashcam haver but it seems insane to me that they would fail at <10g. Like stop recording video I could kind of see, but it shouldn't be that hard to build robust storage for things that include serious shock as an intended usecase.

Charles posted:

Yea to expound on this, microsd cards have 9 contacts. Upsetting those contacts during read/write can cause the card to reset, not write a file completely, etc.

Boring shock and vibration lecture:
Well in a transient impact/shock event, multiple natural frequencies are likely to be excited throughout the device. When those natural frequencies get excited, the fingers contacting the card and card itself can experience, relative to design limits, large displacements (like the contacts bouncing or the card being pushed around in its holder), temporarily interrupting the connections. Designing to deal with this in all scenarios is nearly impossible given cost constraints and requirement to have a removable card in part because things like impacts from the camera bouncing on the window can induce VERY high G forces. (Easily 100+Gs) Also the car has certain frequencies it will amplify from the crash and some it will attenuate so the excitation at the base of the camera can be very high. If the frequency spectra of the shock event excites those natural frequencies, it can cause the card and contacts to bend in such a way that they're interrupted.

EDIT: Also things like power connectors and cracked but normally working solder joints/pads that maybe cracked during thermal expansion one day will displace due to the shock event as well. Not necessarily the SD card, though it's where I'd start when looking for a failure.

I worked on a kinda similar system once that mitigated this type of thing in various ways including having capacitors rated for shock and vibe that I assume were there for both power quality reasons and for very low duration transient events.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 13, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Man, this roundabout talk is so bizarre to me! Here in Aus it's a fundamental part of driving, since we have roundabouts throughout our suburbs. Everyone knows about them here - even if they decide to disregard the law in favour of blasting through the roundabout anyway, to save a few seconds! :v:

In the majority of the US you simply don't see them. Though they are starting to gain in popularity.

My town recently added one in a new area they are developing. It is probably the first one in a 50 mile radius.

The city of Carmel, Indiana I spoke of in a previous post has been replacing just about any intersection they can with a roundabout. This is just one example.

If your not used to them, it can be quite daunting the first time you drive through the area!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea to expound on this, microsd cards have 9 contacts. Upsetting those contacts during read/write can cause the card to reset, not write a file completely, etc.

Boring shock and vibration lecture:
Well in a transient impact/shock event, multiple natural frequencies are likely to be excited throughout the device. When those natural frequencies get excited, the fingers contacting the card and card itself can experience, relative to design limits, large displacements (like the contacts bouncing or the card being pushed around in its holder), temporarily interrupting the connections. Designing to deal with this in all scenarios is nearly impossible given cost constraints and requirement to have a removable card in part because things like impacts from the camera bouncing on the window can induce VERY high G forces. (Easily 100+Gs) Also the car has certain frequencies it will amplify from the crash and some it will attenuate so the excitation at the base of the camera can be very high. If the frequency spectra of the shock event excites those natural frequencies, it can cause the card and contacts to bend in such a way that they're interrupted.

EDIT: Also things like power connectors and cracked but normally working solder joints/pads that maybe cracked during thermal expansion one day will displace due to the shock event as well. Not necessarily the SD card, though it's where I'd start when looking for a failure.

I worked on a kinda similar system once that mitigated this type of thing in various ways including having capacitors rated for shock and vibe that I assume were there for both power quality reasons and for very low duration transient events.

Yeah that's fair I guess, but it's hardly impossible. I've worked with products that recorded to (full size) SD and it was absolutely doable to have them stand up to I think 6 (but possibly 10) G. Even had one keep recording until the PCB it was mounted to was crushed by the pallet it was on following a parachute failure :v:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The crash that caused mine to glitch was probably 20 to 30 Gs.

6-10 G isn’t much for a car crash.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's my lucky week!

https://i.imgur.com/NTfA6LO.mp4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No license plate?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's got one of those tinted covers over it. But even if I got a plate number, what's the point?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You have him on camera breaking the law in a way that was risking your life. Why the gently caress not?

License plate covers are illegal in most places as well. Generally it’s in the “it’s illegal to alter, block, or obscure your plate” laws.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Cops have to actually give a gently caress in order for something to actually happen.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Yeah, I had a guy on camera rear end a dude, and then drive into incoming traffic to get away. I offered it to the cops and they just said unless they guy showed up on the video (he did) they couldn't do anything. When I told them both the guy and the plate were clearly visible it was radio silence.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Yeah, I had a guy on camera rear end a dude, and then drive into incoming traffic to get away. I offered it to the cops and they just said unless they guy showed up on the video (he did) they couldn't do anything. When I told them both the guy and the plate were clearly visible it was radio silence.

Going to assume in the US. It's amazing how little the police here want to do any actual police work.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Interested in having a neat dashcam installed before I take a big road trip for my big move.

Camera Mirror in question: https://accele.com/product/rvmdvr360ir/

It would replace my rearview mirror which is the factory stock mirror, which includes auto-dimming and a compass. This mirror has more features than I want. I'm just looking for a quality dashcam that'll record continuously when I start my truck, and flag on incidents.

I can't really find any reviews for that particular mirror cam anywhere. A local electronics shop has it for $400, which is retail, and they'll install it, along with the accompanying backup cam (which I don't need as my truck already has a backup cam) for $180. This mirror has these features:

The features of this camera can be found here, and this list is more inclusive than the list provided by the MFG that I posted above.

Would appreciate all input.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Locator posted:

Going to assume in the US. It's amazing how little the police here want to do any actual police work.

It gets in the way of easy tickets and shooting people. And traffic details, can't forget their double secret overtime.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Back on my long-distance timelapse poo poo just because VIRB Edit lets you do neat poo poo with on-screen graphics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVPVDnrKZ7c

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

Depending on the jankiness of the camera it may not have that function, you might just need to pull the files manually before they get overwritten. Mine can save clips but I've never used it, I get at least 1.5 days of commuting around town in 1440 on a 32GB card, unless you're a long-haul trucker it probably won't be an issue.

In other news, who else likes to start their day with a little attempted vehicular manslaughter :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9ZnoAVP4o

Seems like it can do it automatically bases on the accelerometer or maybe even voice control (!?) but I haven't installer it get as I was on vacation. Obviously if there's a real incident, it's not a problem to just pull the card. But I was hoping to just record idiots on the road for fun and it would be a huge pain in the rear end to either rewatch everything or try to record the timestamps manually or something.

FBS posted:

In my experience in Texas and Illinois we can handle one-lane roundabouts reasonably well, but as soon as you add a second lane it breaks our poor stupid brains.

There's a two-lane roundabout outside our local Costco that gets a lot of traffic and almost literally half the time I go through there (without turning in to the Costco) somebody violates my right of way.

I'm completely used to roundabouts but if it's poorly marked and/or in an unfamiliar area (or country) they can be tricky since you might not know if the outer lane is exit-only, if you can exit from the inner lane or have to change first, etc.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm completely used to roundabouts but if it's poorly marked and/or in an unfamiliar area (or country) they can be tricky since you might not know if the outer lane is exit-only, if you can exit from the inner lane or have to change first, etc.

I am currently in Tijuana. The roundabout rules are simple. There are no lane markings or signs, you simply jam your way into the circle and do whatever the hell you want. Liberal usage of the horn is optional but recommended if traffic is completely stopped, as that will certainly make the guy in front of you push the giant bus in front of him out of the way.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Monthly Dashcam Owners Australia video. Usual warnings about swearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drOQXl9b_Cs

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Recommendations for a front and rear camera combo, that can still record with the car off, and a decent low temperature rating (like -20C)?

Sorry if this isn't the place to be asking this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Viofo a129 duo, with the wiring kit and a good SD card.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Viofo a129 duo, with the wiring kit and a good SD card.

How would one mount a rear facing dashcam on a truck with a rear window that can be rolled down?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Depending on the camera some can be mounted flat to glass and then the lens tilted so that it points straight out e: and mount it to the part of the glass beside the rolling-down part. Failing that you could just mount it to the windshield facing the other way, wouldn't be a great view but better than nothing.

Unrelated, saw the slowest car crash ever on the way home from work tonight. It didn't look like either of them were trying to pull over afterwards so maybe Dallas traffic had just brainwormed them enough that they were both just gently caress It :shrug:

https://i.imgur.com/6m4KJ22.mp4

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Unrelated, saw the slowest car crash ever on the way home from work tonight. It didn't look like either of them were trying to pull over afterwards so maybe Dallas traffic had just brainwormed them enough that they were both just gently caress It :shrug:

Wow! Maybe they were both pulling two full-time shifts a day and were constantly falling asleep at the wheel, like Homer Simpson? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgw8MEwTVwM

Regardless, drat. It must be real bad over there, if you guys are getting to the point where you can't even be bothered pulling over when someone hits your car! :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

lite_sleepr posted:

How would one mount a rear facing dashcam on a truck with a rear window that can be rolled down?
Mount it to surrounding trim or something else that doesn't roll down but still allows a reasonable view.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
http://imgur.com/gallery/p8p7Tyj

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/woman-jumps-out-of-her-moving-hyundai-in-california-leaving-the-car-to-cause-a-crash-video-99612.html

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Got bumped by an Audi at low speed and of course the last recording on my rear facing camera was the day before. Fortunately there's no doubt whose at fault, but come the gently caress on. Also the front video looks like it was recorded at 5fps, but the audio of me yelling obscenities is fine. I'll need to try a different SD card and if that's not the issue, get a new dashcam.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BbFv63dOOQ

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Reminds me of my neighbor, who had a jeep with one of those forward rollover hoops mounted on the front bumper, and his wife's car, which wore two dents in the rear deck lid spaced the same width as the bars of the hoop were. Yes, their driveway had a slope to it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/fHrWfTR.mp4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lol I’ve seen that move twice today.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why is that person driving so close to the curb

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To make sure they don't get clipped by the van?

Or they're an idiot who can't drie.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Why is that person driving so close to the curb

Because they can only drive in two modes: over the white line into the left lane or very close to the curb. I'd rather have them be as far away from any other car in the universe as possible. Speaking as a person who routinely has to deal with 2-lane roundabouts where the right-lane car consistently fails to stay in its lane and moves too close for comfort into the inner lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Minor close calls but the first one caught my eye because on that whole wide empty road the hatchback closely swerves into people twice trying to do a lane change.

The 2nd part in the video was that black SUV forcing their way into the queue (after being queued up behind the truck with an open spot to merge into) even when the pick up truck blocked them. The pickup driver later on swerved into them a couple of times probably yelling at them but it was pretty far off and not easily seen on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHxqa9jgFE