Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

Add the rest of the games to customs, add Halo 5, scrape the bottom of the beta or cut armor barrel and a few more things like Flood FF (Sentinel FF kind of sucks incidentally) and they could squeeze to 10

Flood and Elite firefight modes for ODST were supposed to come out with Season 8 but they weren't ready for the release date. They were in the beta a few weeks ago.

Sentinel Firefight would be a pain with ODST mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Flood and Elite firefight modes for ODST were supposed to come out with Season 8 but they weren't ready for the release date. They were in the beta a few weeks ago.

Sentinel Firefight would be a pain with ODST mechanics.

It's there and is! You can try it in customs; ODSTs are cloaked with infinite plasma rifle and plasma pistols

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

It's there and is! You can try it in customs; ODSTs are cloaked with infinite plasma rifle and plasma pistols

An entire match against hitscan damage over time enemies. Sounds awful!

For future updates I would like the option to pick team colors so it's not always red vs blue, and I'd love to see some techsuit cosmetics for Halo 4 to do away with those ugly trash bag texture suits. Its pretty impressive how the Halo 4 armor pieces look so much better in the Halo 3 engine.

I've definitely come around on Halo 4's class based competitive mode. 6v6 Squad Slayer with no ordnance drops and only three loadouts is a lot of fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

back when I bought MCC I wanted them to add H5, but now I think I'm really okay if they don't.

I would appreciate if the final Big Update (tm) had some sort of seasonal point catchup mechanic for any new buyers staring down 8+ seasons of unlocks to grind, but engagement metrics, I guess.

Arc Hammer posted:

and I'd love to see some techsuit cosmetics for Halo 4 to do away with those ugly trash bag texture suits.

oh yeah that'd be nice. I don't like the H4 pieces that much overall but a better base layer would do wonders for them.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The grind for unlocks has been pretty brutal. I’m out of town part of the week most weeks and getting a cadence necessary to even just do the PvEs the way they’re setup would take more effort than a 10 year old game deserves, as much as I love it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Halo 4 was kind of OK for a game I played for free, but I'm def glad I didn't pay for it when I was buying the other ones.

The positives:
+It's got a mech, mechs are cool
+It's the first(right?) time you actually get to fly a Pelican, even if the actual mission is a pale imitation of that Reach one with a similar structure
+Promethean Knight's death animation is cool looking
+It was probably really impressive looking for a 360 game
+The story is about a woman being bad at her job

Everything else:
-It's creatively bankrupt. The end of Halo 3 teases limitless possibilities but then lol it's UNSC v. Covvies again
-Halo levels are at their best when they're big, chaotic, sci-fi warzones with enemies and allies hopping into vehicles and bashing into rocks. There is practically none of this. Otherwise, Halo is all about its combat arenas, and the combat arenas in H4 are cramped and uninteresting and separated by far too many plodding corridor fights
-Wow, you weren't kidding about the Promethean weapons just being human ones with spinny bits. Ammo also seemed a little more restrictive for some reason?
-The new enemies were mostly a chore to fight against and there were hardly any new ones anyways. Every encounter was the same: kill the drone first and then deal with the rest. There's one section later on that's just those stupid dogs plinking at you from every direction that's just the worst. Strangely enough I thought the Knights themselves were the least annoying
-Did they slow you down again? I loaded up a Reach level and I'm pretty sure your base movement speed is considerably faster in that
-You are teh chosen one
-The last level reminded me of Halo 1 in terms of doing the same thing a bunch of times in barely different areas
-I'm sure its explained in great detail in some dogshit comic book or novelization but lmao that it is never explained ingame why the Covenant are suddenly baddies again and working with the Didact

Oh well, maybe Infinity's campaign will finally be good, c'mon 343.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its a covenant rebel fleet that thinks humans are a pest/spreading to fast. There was also something about a war casualty that one of the leaders suffered.

It's basically just "we wanted a reason for you to fight covvies" tho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll be interested to see how Infinite balances the Banished forces. Even in Reach, I don't think there's ever a moment in the campaign or firefight where you actually fight against Brutes and Elites in tandem. And in Halo 2 they're trying to kill each other.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Arc Hammer posted:

I'll be interested to see how Infinite balances the Banished forces. Even in Reach, I don't think there's ever a moment in the campaign or firefight where you actually fight against Brutes and Elites in tandem. And in Halo 2 they're trying to kill each other.

Yeah this is a fair point - in 3 they basically turned Brutes into Elites, whereas in 2 they behaved a lot more differently. Having the Banished as a 'anything goes' alien faction is probably good news overall as it means we're getting the Elite and Brute vehicles out of it.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I was trying to do the ODST Legendary in under 3 hours.

I was maybe 13 minutes into Coastal Highway, where you get the Gauss and I got a CURSED checkpoint where Fillion isn't in the turret. I spent 35 minutes loving with that before giving up and starting over.

Seriously, it's easily a 2/3 shot that he just...refuses to get into the turret if he has the fuel rod, which I get...but, Gauss hog...I don't think its really even possible to do those 2 runs down the highway without him in it. And when he doesn't want to get in, he just stands there even when you put the hog against a wall

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 22, 2021

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Crunchy Black posted:

I was trying to do the ODST Legendary in under 3 hours.

I was maybe 13 minutes into Coastal Highway, where you get the Gauss and I got a CURSED checkpoint where Fillion isn't in the turret. I spent 35 minutes loving with that before giving up and starting over.

Seriously, it's easily a 2/3 shot that he just...refuses to get into the turret if he has the fuel rod, which I get...but, Gauss hog...I don't think its really even possible to do those 2 runs down the highway without him in it. And when he doesn't want to get in, he just stands there even when you put the hog against a wall

Add me and I'll help you if you're on Xbox. I have all the achievements in this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Add me and I'll help you if you're on Xbox. I have all the achievements in this game.

Why would you ever do all of Spartan Ops legendary solo on purpose

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

RBA Starblade posted:

When Spartan Ops released back when MCC was a mess, there was a bug where you could load a mission and immediately end the game which counted as completion credit. I did that for every mission.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When Spartan Ops released back when MCC was a mess, there was a bug where you could load a mission and immediately end the game which counted as completion credit. I did that for every mission.

Lmao nice

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Thanks! I have an Xbone X but I pretty much play exclusively PC these days. I did eventually get it, just had to start over. Got hosed by RNG I suppose. 31 minutes 4 seconds, which ain't blistering, but it should work. My times now come out to 2.998166667 hours and of course it didn't pop. Guess I'm doing that goddamn banshee mission again.

RBA Starblade posted:

...don't look at my achievement list lol

I did not have this luxury. I may have also done it all in Halo 4 as well. :shobon:

e: for anyone who may run into this, don't pick up the other fuel rod so you can force him to switch weapons with you and also if you actually get into the passenger seat he seems to be more compliant to jumping into the turret as opposed to only forcing him out.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 27, 2021

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
The glitch only worked in Spartan Ops

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is co-op netcode never gonna get fixed? I've had instances where it worked and then it would constantly boot me out either during a chapter or after completing one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zeether posted:

Is co-op netcode never gonna get fixed? I've had instances where it worked and then it would constantly boot me out either during a chapter or after completing one.

They said it'd take about a year to fix so probably not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Really want to get the armor set they're putting on the exchange on Nov 24th. It's the SPI armor the Spartan 3s wore in Ghosts of Onyx.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Really want to get the armor set they're putting on the exchange on Nov 24th. It's the SPI armor the Spartan 3s wore in Ghosts of Onyx.

I'm digging the Orion Spartan 1.0 armor too

I only have 3 halobux lmao, spent too much on dumb visor colors

e: Next week you can strap the OG Xbox and the Dukes onto you lmao

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm digging the Orion Spartan 1.0 armor too

I only have 3 halobux lmao, spent too much on dumb visor colors

e: Next week you can strap the OG Xbox and the Dukes onto you lmao

I love it so much

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The complete timeline of 20th anniversary MCC goodies, which you can grab in the Exchange section of the main menu:

The ORION armor is a nod to the Chief's design in the original Macworld '99 Halo reveal trailer, which people have been asking for for quite a while. The MIRAGE armor comes from one of the novels, where they were strapped onto orphans for cheap, expendable, totally-not-a-war-crime-of-some-kind SPARTAN-IIIs with reverse-engineered stealth camo instead of shields. Apparently folks have been asking for that for a while too, since one of those novel covers illustrations apparently looked cool.

Patch Notes

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, also:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Mordja posted:

Halo 4 was kind of OK for a game I played for free, but I'm def glad I didn't pay for it when I was buying the other ones.
Oh well, maybe Infinity's campaign will finally be good, c'mon 343.
I remember it ending with quicktime events. yeah who wants an exciting escape sequence in a warthog or something, let's press buttons.
And when I played it in early buggy MCC the quicktime button prompts didn't update if you switched control schemes, which was fun.

I also just blew through Halo 5 on Normal to get it out of the way and man, I hope the Bungie guys that went to 343 did some good for Infinite's single player because 5's campaign did not instill me with confidence.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I love it so much

Master Chief turned the corner. Spartan-104, Fred, commented, "Good thinking, the OGXBX-1092 anti-tank mines will be very effective against those Wraiths," as he strapped on his own OGDUK-1194 armored shoulder pads. The 1194s freeze Elites in their tracks with their intimidat

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
am I seeing things or did they texture in the dust between the xbox's ridges

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The anniversary ones will all be time limited? I shouldn't have dumped all of the points I had been accumulating since I got my original Reach Spartan's armor back.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shiroc posted:

The anniversary ones will all be time limited? I shouldn't have dumped all of the points I had been accumulating since I got my original Reach Spartan's armor back.

The main menu splash page says they’ll rotate back through over the next year

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

skasion posted:

The main menu splash page says they’ll rotate back through over the next year

Ah, nice. Hopefully I can get the ones I'd want then.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
This game is 7 years old today. Out of some miracle, I still play this game so much.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Still needs patching tho lmao

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Animal Friend posted:

Still needs patching tho lmao

Indeed, there's much work to be done.

Off the top of my head, CE and Halo 2 run on archaic netcode and hit detection.

H2's brute plasma rifle still has bugged textures.

Halo 4 still does have the new armor mod and upgrade from the Champions DLC.

ODST FF's Flood and Elite dlc is still a work in progress.

Custom map importing isn't native and involves replacing existing maps with modded maps.

No mod support for Xbox.

The list goes on...

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Indeed, there's much work to be done.

Off the top of my head, CE and Halo 2 run on archaic netcode and hit detection.

H2's brute plasma rifle still has bugged textures.

Halo 4 still does have the new armor mod and upgrade from the Champions DLC.

ODST FF's Flood and Elite dlc is still a work in progress.

Custom map importing isn't native and involves replacing existing maps with modded maps.

No mod support for Xbox.

The list goes on...

Voice audio is still tied to sound effects slider.

Voice audio is very quiet for no discernable reason.

The list does indeed go on.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Playing H2 classic multiplayer is a night and day experience w/r/t timing and hit detection. It’s basically impossible to be good at the whole suite at once. You kinda have to pick either you want to play 2/CE or the rest of them in a given session and stick with it else you’re a wobbly mess.

I don’t mind it, I’d rather the experience be more true to form of the original games, but it does go to show how far we’ve come in 20 years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was chatting with a friend earlier about how it's been 20 years of Halo and when we said out loud "but we've played since Halo 1 so that means" we realized we were Olds now lmao

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I was chatting with a friend earlier about how it's been 20 years of Halo and when we said out loud "but we've played since Halo 1 so that means" we realized we were Olds now lmao

My bus to work goes through a college campus and a few weeks ago I realized the Halo novel I was reading at the time (First Strike) is probably older than some of the students who were riding the bus with me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Trying to play MCC with a buddy (we both have Gamepass, which is probably part of the issue here) and despite his game being "downloaded" and able to launch, he's unable to play any games and gets this popup:

As you'd expect, nothing happens when he presses Yes. Anything we can do besides uninstalling and reinstalling everything? He has slow internet, so another ~120GB download is out of the picture.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Trying to play MCC with a buddy (we both have Gamepass, which is probably part of the issue here) and despite his game being "downloaded" and able to launch, he's unable to play any games and gets this popup:

As you'd expect, nothing happens when he presses Yes. Anything we can do besides uninstalling and reinstalling everything? He has slow internet, so another ~120GB download is out of the picture.

Whenever that happened to me we hit yes, turned the game off, restarted it, and that inexplicably fixed the issue

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Looks like it resolved the issue. Dunno what fixed it but thanks!

EXCEPT,

Now, whenever one of us dies, we fall out of "sync" with eachother. It would be frustrating if it wasn't so hilarious; I've never seen anything like it. For example: he died, and then when he respawned, I saw him run into random objects, fire weapons at walls and melee the air. Naturally on his end he was fighting and killing things, but all im seeing is a green dude flailing nonsensically on my end. I had him kill me, which he apparently did, but all I seen was him melee a crate. I cannot get over how strange this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm playing through Halo 5 on cloud gaming because I want to see the campaign before infinite comes out, and it doesn't seem that bad so far? I'm only up to mission 7, but so far I like it more than 4. Prometheans are less annoying to fight and their weapons are better to use, the missions are pretty good, and I like the squad based nature of it. It might completely turn to poo poo in the back half but for now I'm enjoying it. Using a controller for FPS games sucks rear end though. Hope they add it to the MCC one day, though it doesn't look likely at this point. Being on PC and a little modding would really improve it.