Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All that buildup and Gilgamesh punks out after taking one last hit. Then the final few seconds happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Really though what are some good non-12 FF tracks with great bass or low brass? I'm fiending for some VGM songs for a playlist of mine.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

NikkolasKing posted:

Add another official arrangement of Clash on the Big Bridge. I remember asking after just how many there were a few years ago, assuming there was maybe a handful, and the list I got back had... I dunno, two handfuls, at least 10.

SE put a CD out of 18 versions ha.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

Add another official arrangement of Clash on the Big Bridge. I remember asking after just how many there were a few years ago, assuming there was maybe a handful, and the list I got back had... I dunno, two handfuls, at least 10.

I'm trying to think of how many I can remember off the top of my head, I'll definitely miss a few that people who want to do research can fill in later but:

XII has one for the Gilgamesh hunts
XIII-2 has one for the arena battle against him
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition for the PSP has one when you fight him in the optional water dungeon
Record Keeper has a version with vocal parts
Type 0 has one I believe for the Gilgamesh fight

That's all I can remember but there's definitely a few I'm forgetting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFXIV obviously

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
And XV, from the Gladio DLC

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

jokes posted:

FFXIV obviously

It is worth noting that this particular version loving slaps.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Anyone tried the FF IX android port since Android 12? Does it work?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's a whole album just of official Big Bridge iterations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Final Fantasy VIII has to be my most undecided in the main series. There are so many things that I like about the game like the junction system, the music, Triple Triad, and the summons.

The characters and plot are just so weak, which is weird because the concept of specially trained military students that are sent around the world to be used as weapons is cool, but everything else? The love story is like a glass of room temperature water, mostly due to Squall having the personality of unreinforced concrete. The Laguna parts, while initially interesting due to being an actual good character, falls apart too quickly by the end. The sorcerer from the future that wants to destroy the present is when I throw my hands up and say "ok, that's enough, I just want to go back to playing cards in Balamb Garden".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Final Fantasy VIII has to be my most undecided in the main series. There are so many things that I like about the game like the junction system, the music, Triple Triad, and the summons.

The characters and plot are just so weak, which is weird because the concept of specially trained military students that are sent around the world to be used as weapons is cool, but everything else? The love story is like a glass of room temperature water, mostly due to Squall having the personality of unreinforced concrete. The Laguna parts, while initially interesting due to being an actual good character, falls apart too quickly by the end. The sorcerer from the future that wants to destroy the present is when I throw my hands up and say "ok, that's enough, I just want to go back to playing cards in Balamb Garden".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

At the very least, it makes you empathize with the main character, who ALSO doesn't want to bother with everyone's crushingly dumb bullshit going on around him but does anyway

Squall thinks the plot is EXACTLY as dumb as we do. Probably moreso, because he doesn't get to blame the writers for it, that's just his life

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I cannot wait to hear the PR versions of Fierce Battle and Dancing Mad. :dance:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Hitoshi Sakimoto chat: 12 has some absolute bangers on it - boss battle, esper battle, and especially Struggle for Freedom (although hot take: I don't much care for the updated version of it), but it's true, I can't remember anything else. I thought Tactics was much more memorable, although could be because I would grind the poo poo out of that game. Most of the battle music is really good though and the main theme is beautiful.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Endwalker got delayed 2 weeks; general reaction I've seen online is "ok no big deal hope everyone on the team is ok!"

I'm trying to imagine if the latest WoW expansion had a 2 week delay :ohdear:

VVV was there a great wailing and gnashing of teeth or was the playerbase mostly OK with it

I know the overall reaction to it has been less than stellar

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 6, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Shadowlands did get a delay, actually

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

zenguitarman posted:

Hitoshi Sakimoto chat: 12 has some absolute bangers on it - boss battle, esper battle, and especially Struggle for Freedom (although hot take: I don't much care for the updated version of it), but it's true, I can't remember anything else. I thought Tactics was much more memorable, although could be because I would grind the poo poo out of that game. Most of the battle music is really good though and the main theme is beautiful.

I mean it with full sincerity when I say that Sakimoto creates very good background music. There's only a few pieces from the FFXII soundtrack that've stuck with me, but it's the perfect soundtrack for listening to while I work without it distracting me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Endwalker got delayed 2 weeks; general reaction I've seen online is "ok no big deal hope everyone on the team is ok!"

Shadowbringers earned them a lot of good will from the community, and having someone as earnest and sincere as Yoshida as your face buys you a lot of space for a move that would be unthinkable for most other developers. Delayed releases aren't unusual for games, but a delay two weeks before the game's launch is highly unorthodox.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

VVV was there a great wailing and gnashing of teeth or was the playerbase mostly OK with it

I know the overall reaction to it has been less than stellar

The reaction to the Shadowlands delay, IIRC, was similar to this one only with the added spice of a lot of players hoping for a delay. The thing with WoW is that it has public beta tests of patches and expansions, so players knew how unfinished Shadowlands was. The delay was expected and honestly hoped for, but you also still had a bunch of people who'd booked PTO and were really mad or disappointed that the delay was announced too late for them to reschedule.

Of course Shadowlands also turned out to be bad anyway, which I think players also kinda knew ahead of time because it was only like a month or so delayed and it really seemed like it needed more than that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just to be clear, which shadow thingy is the wow one and which shadow thingy is the Final Fantasy one?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Commander Keene posted:

Just to be clear, which shadow thingy is the wow one and which shadow thingy is the Final Fantasy one?

Shadowlands = WoW
Shadowbringers = FF
Shadowlord = Nier

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Schwartzcough posted:

Shadowlands = WoW
Shadowbringers = FF
Shadowlord = Nier

Shadow Moses - Metal Gear Solid

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Shadow Queen = Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Shadow = Sonic Adventure 2

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

Shadow = FFVI character with the dog

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Shadow = Shadow the Hedgehog

I mean, this game DOES have a class with a gun and a motorcycle!

E: I thought this was the FF14 thread

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 6, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Shadow Hearts = Shadow Hearts

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Shadow Hearts = Shadow Hearts

Shadow Hearts = Koudelka

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leal posted:

I mean, this game DOES have a class with a gun and a motorcycle!

E: I thought this was the FF14 thread

It is a FF14 thread. :colbert:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shadowman = Mega Man

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The important question is:

Will we have more opportunities to embarrass Alphinaud in dialogue options than ever before?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Shadow Madness = A crappy PS1 RPG

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Vermain posted:

I mean it with full sincerity when I say that Sakimoto creates very good background music. There's only a few pieces from the FFXII soundtrack that've stuck with me, but it's the perfect soundtrack for listening to while I work without it distracting me.

Yeah, I think the music is done very well and when you're playing everything sounds good, but it isn't memorable. And coming on the heels of Uematsu's stuff which was almost always extremely memorable and catchy

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

holy poo poo

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I just want to talk about Edge (FFIV) for a moment,

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Victory Position posted:

he sucks, thread closed

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Regalingualius posted:

The important question is:

Will we have more opportunities to embarrass Alphinaud in dialogue options than ever before?

I fully expect him to loving die. Not because I hate him, I love this precious boi, but because I figure someone ain't making it out alive from this one and it might as well be the character with the most development.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Victory Position posted:

I heard his full name was Edward Geraldine, he sounds like a nerd.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well the 'launcher trailer' has him doing a death flag monologue while the portraits of all the Scions except him appear on screen so uh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Well the 'launcher trailer' has him doing a death flag monologue while the portraits of all the Scions except him appear on screen so uh

That's why I bet he's the character most likely to survive at this point. Let's not forget all the times we saw characters apparently get straight-up killed in trailers but they never actually died.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I heard his full name was Edward Geraldine, he sounds like a nerd.

Does anyone ever think it's weird that there are two Edwards in 4's cast? It's alleviated that one of them goes by a chuuni nickname to distinguish them, but it's still a weird writing choice. It's not like real life where people coincidentally have the same name, Edge could have been named whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean to be fair Edward was iirc originally Gilbert and EdGe’s proper name is mainly from supplemental material so it’s more of weird quirk of localization.