Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

DC-based safe streets doofus Gordon Chaffin, who generally means well but isn't always very bright, got into an altercation with a drivist that reminds me why I generally don't bother with direct confrontation

https://twitter.com/GordonAChaffin/status/1456347125437112324

i guess he got the lane clear, but it turns out the guy has 10k in unpaid traffic tickets too and is still somehow allowed to drive. clearly the system works

the amount of people in this dude's mentions going with the "touching another person's sacred personal vehicle is assault, tresspassing and manslaughter" line is pretty indicative of terminal car disease. this ruined my day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

good news is that whatever the gently caress else is coming today won’t ruin it for you!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We have one particularly dangerous mid-street crosswalk here, so the city installed a bank of red flags that pedestrians could grab and wave as they cross the street. Absurd measures just to make walking possible.

Never sure if satire or America.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

genericnick posted:

Never sure if satire or America.

People made fun of it a bunch and then all the flags were stolen. The city decided it wasn't cost effective to keep replacing them, so now it's just a regular dangerous crosswalk again.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People made fun of it a bunch and then all the flags were stolen. The city decided it wasn't cost effective to keep replacing them, so now it's just a regular dangerous crosswalk again.

100% the first thing I thought reading your initial post about the flags is “wonder how long those stayed”

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

that's what he wanted you to think. he had nothing
Really loving stupid thing to do.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pointsofdata posted:

if you try and talk to some people about this irl they look at you like you're mad.
I have tried this with many people. I have not been successful in getting anyone to understand. It usually goes something like this:

"What if we designed cities so we didn't need cars and could just walk everywhere instead"
"But I live in (x) and I work in (y) so that wouldn't work"
"Okay but what if (x) was closer to (y) so you didn't need the car"
"I would still drive"
"Why would you drive"
"Because I don't like walking places"
"What if it was more pleasant to walk places"
"I just don't like walking"
"Or you could take a bike"
"Why would I do that when I have a car"

It goes on and on and on like that. It is impossible to explain not having cars to someone who has needed to use a car every day of their life. Like I want to just grab them and drag them to Granada and be like "look, there's a bar down the street we can walk to, over there there's a shopping district where cars aren't allowed, let me show you how pleasant it is, look the streets are beautiful and pleasant and if there weren't these drat scooters imagine how much nicer it would be even more than it is right now" but nope. Americans literally cannot imagine life outside of car hell, it doesn't compute. They think "no cars" means they have to walk 15 miles to work along the side of a freeway while semi tractors blast by at 70mph.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Enough people are so deconditioned by the car-based lifestyle that a 20 min roundtrip walk to get groceries (god forbid there's any kind of hill) really is a big demand. You can find plenty of people on Twitter bitching that it was the ordeal of a lifetime having to walk a mile to do something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sat on my keys! posted:

Enough people are so deconditioned by the car-based lifestyle that a 20 min roundtrip walk to get groceries (god forbid there's any kind of hill) really is a big demand. You can find plenty of people on Twitter bitching that it was the ordeal of a lifetime having to walk a mile to do something.

in all fairness, our infrastructure is so hostile to walking that you are almost guaranteed to have to be right up next to cars that don't think you have a right to be there

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

Needs more bollards

Jersey barriers

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

sat on my keys! posted:

I walk a little under a mile each way for groceries and it works but I would really like it if a good store were closer. Not having a grocery store within a mile of you in a dense urban area is a food desert, a serious walkable city wouldn't be like that

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i also think supermarkets only happened because of cars. you wouldn't be able to or want to fit one of those monstrosities in a sensibly designed urban space.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

DC-based safe streets doofus Gordon Chaffin, who generally means well but isn't always very bright, got into an altercation with a drivist that reminds me why I generally don't bother with direct confrontation

i guess he got the lane clear, but it turns out the guy has 10k in unpaid traffic tickets too and is still somehow allowed to drive. clearly the system works

Lol did the dude fake pulling a gun or knife out of the car

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^yes

pretty sure i gave myself cancer replying to that twitter thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it took me nearly two hours to get a flu shot and pickup some takeout because i had to loving drive everywhere :negative:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Wow that's pretty brave, I would have biked away. Good on him for standing up against cars

I would have crashed into them if anything

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Dolphin posted:

i also think supermarkets only happened because of cars. you wouldn't be able to or want to fit one of those monstrosities in a sensibly designed urban space.

Yep you only have full-size shopping carts where you have cars, because otherwise you're shopping for what you can carry. And funnily enough they metastasize some of the space issues of cars within the dimensions of the store interior

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help
The grocery dream is small well-stocked stores within walkable neighborhoods. Then you walk over and shop regularly throughout the week as you cook or need things, rather than making a big car-load trip less frequently. Then you have less food waste and less traffic, and more people served by grocery stores. It's better for everyone, especially people who cannot afford cars or to buy in bulk. Which is exactly why it will never be embraced in the USA.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lil poopendorfer posted:

Wow that's pretty brave, I would have biked away. Good on him for standing up against cars

I would have crashed into them if anything

Deck myself out in football gear and punish cars in the bike lane with my body and physics.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The city proper is fine but good god the suburbs of ATL are a goddamned wasteland without rival

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitevision posted:

The grocery dream is small well-stocked stores within walkable neighborhoods. Then you walk over and shop regularly throughout the week as you cook or need things, rather than making a big car-load trip less frequently. Then you have less food waste and less traffic, and more people served by grocery stores. It's better for everyone, especially people who cannot afford cars or to buy in bulk. Which is exactly why it will never be embraced in the USA.
any time I'm in Europe, or hell, just anywhere outside the US and Canada, it's always amazing to wake up in the morning and be like "i need some bread and eggs" and go for a nice 5 minute walk on quiet streets to a little grocer and bakery come home with a small bag of breakfast. in the US grocery shopping has turned from a pleasant activity to hell on earth dodging shopping carts, waiting in 20 minute lines, walking across a football field for a container of 12 eggs, bread that was baked 2 days ago

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I used to take the bus to work and the bus stop was right next to a big grocery store, it was great to be able to stop in and get 3 things on my way home when I needed so I could avoid the thing where you only go once a week or less and amass a huge list of poo poo to buy, I think that's one of the major issues with american supermarkets. every other person I see in there is some mother with a fully loaded cart and I imagine they're just trying to get all their shopping done for the week so they don't have to drive out and do this bullshit again any time soon

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

so much space just thrown away then think about how much of it is built on what was farm land

Suplex Liberace posted:

Just throw your bike on people yakuza style if they go in the back and grab something and hide it in their shirt. Its why bikes are aluminum now.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol did the dude fake pulling a gun or knife out of the car

I’ve been “threatened” w a gun because I gave someone the finger for honking while I was turning into a supermarket parking lot. I put quotes on because it was a teen who said it, and I never saw it, but like… such loving entitlement.

I’m a big fan of people saying it’s a race thing.. like no, rear end in a top hat! These people loving sucked!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
fwiw they will probably be less willing to park in the bike lane in the future but you are at an extreme tactical disadvantage in a situation like that and in terms of "forcing" someone to move it will be very hard and risky unless they are very polite. Best just to give em a bit of a shock and gtfo of there before they can react to you

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Nov 6, 2021

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Suplex Liberace posted:

Deck myself out in football gear and punish cars in the bike lane with my body and physics.

if you ever get bored during your commute, a good way to kill time is to practice removing your u-lock from its frame holster while riding

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
THere was an iconic vid from 2 years ago where a ny cyclist smashed a car with his lock and jumped on top of it, leaned his head back and roared. He had long dreads so it looked like some Predator poo poo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
you basically wanna be this guy (replace ghettos and animals with "stroads" and "cagers" )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3YXv8Le01s

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

THere was an iconic vid from 2 years ago where a ny cyclist smashed a car with his lock and jumped on top of it, leaned his head back and roared. He had long dreads so it looked like some Predator poo poo

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7500151/A-different-kind-road-rage-man-slams-bike-lock-car-middle-busy-NYC-street.html

lovely source but this is what I was able to find.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

I appreciate the effort but no. It was a lovely vertical vid showing the part after he smashed the car, where he was literally standing on top of the roof, u lock in hand, and he leans back and roars triumphantly. I think the video was released w a "help us find this criminal" article

ive searched and searched but to no avail

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
OMG I found it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAMveJvAC90

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Around here the forest service has had its budget cut to near zero after decades of successful neoliberalism, so there are never any rangers or patrols or enforcement of any rules.

The shitheads have finally figured this out and started taking their dirt bikes and jeeps on hiking trails and wilderness areas more and more. It's really great to be off in the middle of a national wilderness area and then have to jump off the trail to make way for a pack of dirt bikers who all play dumb about the rules. Love to road rage in the middle of nowhere.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

wow, president zerk biker

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pryor on Fire posted:

Around here the forest service has had its budget cut to near zero after decades of successful neoliberalism, so there are never any rangers or patrols or enforcement of any rules.

The shitheads have finally figured this out and started taking their dirt bikes and jeeps on hiking trails and wilderness areas more and more. It's really great to be off in the middle of a national wilderness area and then have to jump off the trail to make way for a pack of dirt bikers who all play dumb about the rules. Love to road rage in the middle of nowhere.
dirtbike in a national park is a legitimate reason for extreme violence

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

o captain my captain o7

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I worked with a woman whose husband was decapitated when he rode his ATV on someone's land who had cables set up to stop ATVers. Again, America is full of psychos.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the amount of people in this dude's mentions going with the "touching another person's sacred personal vehicle is assault, tresspassing and manslaughter" line is pretty indicative of terminal car disease. this ruined my day

I realized on my second watch that the woman hits it waaaay harder than the OP.

King!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I worked with a woman whose husband was decapitated when he rode his ATV on someone's land who had cables set up to stop ATVers. Again, America is full of psychos.
jeez, just put down spike strips, it's not a reason to murder someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m a big fan of people saying it’s a race thing.. like no, rear end in a top hat! These people loving sucked!

yeah, I don't think the white privilege angle makes that much sense in this case. the driver is completely blocking a bike lane and reacts with with over the top fury when he gets called on it; that's lovely, toxic car culture on display. the driver asks the cyclist if he's a cop for trying to use his bike in a bike lane, but i have no doubt he would lean on the horn or pull off a punishment pass if he felt inconvenienced by a cyclist in front of him on the road.

all the people saying it was wrong to touch the car are perhaps right in that it's a move so likely to incite violence that you could consider it the wrong move, but that's all symptomatic of how skewed the terms of engagement are for drivers. a driver can hit and kill someone and it'll be considered an oopsie, but if you pat the trunk of their car it's a justification for lethal violence.