Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Complications posted:

Our entire economic model doesn't hinge on one holiday season, it hinges on one each quarter. Thanksgiving to Christmas, Valentine's, July 4th, back to school and labor day. Missing any of those sprees is a crippling blow because retail finance is as just in time as the supply chain.

The other holidays don't even really compare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

if we had a true free market instead of crony capitalism then someone else would build a better global logistics system and the problem would solve itself

Amazon already has. It's every bit as exploitative as the other system (if not more so), but they get their inventory in and out largely on-time with minimal delays or shortages.

(Please don't take this as a suggestion that we have a true free market though.)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Amazon afaik is still yet to buy or build any ports or even ships.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weka posted:

Amazon afaik is still yet to buy or build any ports or even ships.

They don't but they have built air terminals and bought a fleet of freight planes. They're spinning up operations to run their own gateway logistics and Customs clearinghouses and should have a viable nearly totally in-house international import/export logistics operation within a year or so. What's important in the air shipping industry is that they'll be able to sell excess space on their planes and turn that into a profit center in the same way they did for their server capacity.

They're certainly in a position to completely disrupt the current US shipping landscape in a way that's really never been done and let me assure you as someone on the inside that they will be wildly successful at this endeavor. All players in the industry are absolutely abysmal and have been completely insulated from competition solely by the fact that it would take an extremely well-capitalized entrant to be able to lease the airport space and an air fleet to start a logistics operation. Amazon will absolutely destroy the existing players.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

V. Illych L. posted:

right, it's certainly possible - stripping your way through college is practically a cliche - though i'd want to see some evidence that it's something that happens outside of relatively isolated cases and, in particular, is common among Thai women before i'd allow that statement

:yikes:

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
What do you guys think of Varoufakis's theory that Capitalism is dying out and being replaced by techno-feudalism? I don't really get the comparison to feudalism as that wasn't really based on the endless expansion of capital. Feudalism existed in a society where most stuff hadn't been commodified yet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ToxicAcne posted:

What do you guys think of Varoufakis's theory that Capitalism is dying out and being replaced by techno-feudalism? I don't really get the comparison to feudalism as that wasn't really based on the endless expansion of capital. Feudalism existed in a society where most stuff hadn't been commodified yet.

If climate change weren't a thing maybe, all forecasts at the moment are future fascism tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the mercenary companies - academi / blackwater / whatever fuckin name they have now, wagner group, have had a pretty straightforward pattern of splashing onto the scene being mildly effective, then proceeding to get their face crushed in serious deployments. often because of their lack of close air support and serious indirect fire (rocketry, artillery) and serious armor and other combined arms stuff.

there are no serious top-class mercenary navies or air forces currently operating. Eric prince is trying to make a mercenary air force and mostly failing

as long as centralized states maintain the monopoly on violence there will be no feudalism and no corporate rule. sure, they're better at advertising, but they need combined arms warfare to seriously challenge modern states

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah a state can take serious casualties in a pinch, which really voids the need for modern mercenaries. the main point of those groups is to make military engagements less politically costly at the price of making them more financially costly, which is a trade most contemporary states will take without blinking. in a serious, prolonged engagement you'd see conscript armies taking the field and winning again

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are no serious top-class mercenary navies or air forces currently operating. Eric prince is trying to make a mercenary air force and mostly failing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOgiLdykOQ

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
now, the other pattern of mercenary reliance is the byzantine one, where you stop relying on regular armies because of the threat of coups from them, but this hasnt happened yet and the us military ostentatiously displayed its subordination under whatever civilian control this whole time. same deal w prc, tho xi jinping is a man of the pla anyways

so it deffo seems like they will continue being disposable light infantry that trades off being more expensive with less opportunity for peeps to yell at you for getting them killed

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

the mercenary companies - academi / blackwater / whatever fuckin name they have now, wagner group, have had a pretty straightforward pattern of splashing onto the scene being mildly effective, then proceeding to get their face crushed in serious deployments. often because of their lack of close air support and serious indirect fire (rocketry, artillery) and serious armor and other combined arms stuff.

as long as centralized states maintain the monopoly on violence there will be no feudalism and no corporate rule. sure, they're better at advertising, but they need combined arms warfare to seriously challenge modern states

well there is a reason why private ownership of military aircrafts is regarded as a big no no by the international community (see Geneva convention).

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I figured a big reason mercenaries were used is to do crimes you wouldn't want your troops doing for political reasons.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
If the rich own the politicians isn't that just feudalism with extra steps

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

LastInLine posted:

They don't but they have built air terminals and bought a fleet of freight planes. They're spinning up operations to run their own gateway logistics and Customs clearinghouses and should have a viable nearly totally in-house international import/export logistics operation within a year or so. What's important in the air shipping industry is that they'll be able to sell excess space on their planes and turn that into a profit center in the same way they did for their server capacity.

They're certainly in a position to completely disrupt the current US shipping landscape in a way that's really never been done and let me assure you as someone on the inside that they will be wildly successful at this endeavor. All players in the industry are absolutely abysmal and have been completely insulated from competition solely by the fact that it would take an extremely well-capitalized entrant to be able to lease the airport space and an air fleet to start a logistics operation. Amazon will absolutely destroy the existing players.

Plus their whole thing is 2 day shipping, so air freight is the only game in town for that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

If the rich own the politicians isn't that just feudalism with extra steps

And without the duty of care towards the peasantry

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

the panacea posted:

well there is a reason why private ownership of military aircrafts is regarded as a big no no by the international community (see Geneva convention).

I figured that was because every flight hour for a mil jet is enormously expensive and is thus only used by people who have access to sovereign wealth and power.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I figured that was because every flight hour for a mil jet is enormously expensive and is thus only used by people who have access to sovereign wealth and power.

You're assuming mercenaries don't have access to that same wealth. The only difference is the middle man.

Also, I would not be surprised if some enterprising state decided to go all in on just being a state military for hire to circumvent the Geneva convention. It seems right up Saudi Arabia's alley if their oil income actually fails.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

Also, I would not be surprised if some enterprising state decided to go all in on just being a state military for hire to circumvent the Geneva convention. It seems right up Saudi Arabia's alley if their oil income actually fails.

Israel already has that market cornered I think.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

skooma512 posted:

lmao remember this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_v._Pepsico,_Inc.

wikipedia posted:

Leonard v. Pepsico, Inc., 88 F. Supp. 2d 116, (S.D.N.Y. 1999), aff'd 210 F.3d 88 (2d Cir. 2000), more widely known as the Pepsi Points Case, is a contracts case tried in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York in 1999, in which the plaintiff, John Leonard, sued PepsiCo, Inc. in an effort to enforce an "offer" to redeem 7,000,000 Pepsi Points for an AV-8 Harrier II jump jet (valued at $33.8 million at the time) which PepsiCo had shown in a portion of a televised commercial that PepsiCo argued was intended to be humorous.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

BonHair posted:

You're assuming mercenaries don't have access to that same wealth. The only difference is the middle man.

Colombia isn’t all that far off tbh. They seem to have more or less embraced the fact that their military is the training program for the world’s PMCs (and organized crime).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean private citizens can buy fighter jets, they just have to have all the killing bits stripped out and as has been mentioned they're ungodly-expensive to even just maintain sitting in a flyable state on the ground, let alone actually fly.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like you wanna buy a harrier, here's one for sale:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/191203255/1979-british-aerospace-sea-harrier-fa2-turbine-military-aircraft

You can even buy a 3-pack:

quote:

RARE 3 HARRIER AIRCRAFT PACKAGE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE!

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1456706592242429955/photo/1

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fully working Douglas TA4J Skyhawk, only 3.2 million dollars!

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/208434649/1993-mcdonnell-douglas-ta4j-skyhawk-turbine-military-aircraft

Buy it now with financing for only $16,468 a month!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Menial labor supposedly for the national good, not just for mid-century soviet puppet states anymore!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'd never read the full wiki article before and it's got some gems

quote:

In justifying its conclusion that the commercial was "evidently done in jest" and that "The notion of traveling to school in a Harrier Jet is an exaggerated adolescent fantasy," the court made several observations regarding the nature and content of the commercial, including:

• "The callow youth featured in the commercial is a highly improbable pilot, one who could barely be trusted with the keys to his parents' car, much less the prize aircraft of the United States Marine Corps."
  • "The teenager's comment that flying a Harrier Jet to school 'sure beats the bus' evinces an improbably insouciant attitude toward the relative difficulty and danger of piloting a fighter plane in a residential area."
  • "No school would provide landing space for a student's fighter jet, or condone the disruption the jet's use would cause."

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Shame Boy posted:

I'd never read the full wiki article before and it's got some gems

how could you leave out this one

quote:

Among other claims made, Leonard claimed that a federal judge was incapable of deciding on the matter, and that instead the decision had to be made by a jury consisting of members of the "Pepsi Generation" to whom the advertisement would allegedly constitute an offer

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Hrvza9FkM

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

PokeJoe posted:

how could you leave out this one

Lmao

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I'm trying to work less you know what I mean. 2 pm means its time to wrap things up and not even move the mouse around to keep the laptop from sleeping to pretend like I'm still working

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

the panacea posted:

Neat bit of military aircraft in private hands trivia: there was a time immediately after ww2 when Italy transferred some of their bombers to the knightly Military Order of Malta

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Neat bit of military aircraft in private hands trivia: there was a time immediately after ww2 when Italy transferred some of their bombers to the knightly Military Order of Malta

i imagine this was a bit less controversial since the knights of malta used to be a sovereign power. kind of like handing your planes over to san marino or the pope

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

I figured a big reason mercenaries were used is to do crimes you wouldn't want your troops doing for political reasons.

right? and then theres only room for light infantry doing that, if the tanks and missiles are brought out then you're just at actual war

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Forseti posted:

These motherfuckers stole my business idea :argh:

Did they invent.... email?

Weka
May 5, 2019

right? and then theres only room for light infantry doing that, if the tanks and missiles are brought out then you're just at actual war

As far as I can tell they'll use the heavy stuff in support of mercs for security. But if you missile people it can just be counter terrorism.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Drapetomania's back baby, it's good again (awoo)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Slavery, but neoliberalism. Truly Australia is America Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i like how it slowly gets more and more psychotic

*you may not be able to work in australia again (this may include your family and community members)

like what??? is australia over here blacklisting entire towns because one guy broke his visa conditions??