Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Baddog posted:

Rivian is repricing, moved up to 72-74, up from 57-62. I dunnnnno, seems very pricey.

That would value it at ~65B.

Larger than Hyundai ($40B) or Honda ($51B)

Christ

Don't they make like 2 trucks a day or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes but next year they're going to make 85% of Amazon's last mile delivery trucks which will make them the #2 EV manufacturer in the US, plus whatever consumer vehicles they manufacture

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If enough people are expecting every electric vehicle stock to do the same as Tesla isn’t it self fulfilling? Like the actual value of the company no longer matters it’s just investor belief etc? Nothing makes sense to me idk

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Like the actual value of the company no longer matters it’s just investor belief etc? Nothing makes sense to me idk

Too long to be the thread title, but it’s a contender

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I was ready for my PFE weekly oom call to expire and be another lesson in why I shouldn’t trade options (bought in at .16). Took the day off, went to the park with the kid, checked in at lunch time - holy poo poo! Take my gains and run at 0.51.

It was only a handful of contracts and only became a gain out of pure luck of the surprise announcement so literally no lesson learned but I’m happy that the number gods smiled on me just this once. I almost covered my TSLA calls that went bust!!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

If enough people are expecting every electric vehicle stock to do the same as Tesla isn’t it self fulfilling? Like the actual value of the company no longer matters it’s just investor belief etc? Nothing makes sense to me idk

Now you're getting it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Bape Culture posted:

It took years for people to cotton on to Enron being full of poo poo, eventually people will realise.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RIVN is virtually guaranteed to be a meme stock

I'm already setting my sell limit orders for $1337, buying tickets to the Monaco superyacht show in 2022

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Larger than Hyundai ($40B) or Honda ($51B)

Christ

Don't they make like 2 trucks a day or something?

They sold out manufacturing capacity for Amazon delivery vans for the next 10 years. Plus registered two more trademarks for smaller vehicles, so most likely will have 4 (up from two) consumer models available for preorder next year.

But yeah don't invest. They'll have difficulty scaling even if they're a big boy in 10 years. It might pump until the first earnings call they'll have to do as a public company and then people will bail. And I think it's risky to even wait that long. They offered everyone with a preorder to buy shares at IPO price and I passed up even on that. I'll be super glad if they get a crapload of money though, vehicles are really neat and I like their adventure charger network plan (around national and state parks).

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 6, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

e: this isn't what the thumbnail said it was >:|

where's the comic comparing the stock market to the Warhammer 40k orks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't imagine they're going to be able to provide the amount of Trucks Amazon wants or needs in a reasonable timeframe, I have a feeling the deal is going to collapse

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Since I'm a dumb dumb who held CCIV through its huge pump and after it became Lucid, I wanted to make sure: for long-term capital gains timing, I'd count from when I acquired it as CCIV right? I don't have to restart the timer after it converted to Lucid?

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 6, 2021

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

might buy some open

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Might buy 5 Rivian shares as lottery tickets. Worked for me with Tesla and I'm up 500% on that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't imagine they're going to be able to provide the amount of Trucks Amazon wants or needs in a reasonable timeframe, I have a feeling the deal is going to collapse

They're effectively a puppet company of Amazon; if they can't supply Amazon, Amazon would have pulled support for them long ago, this has been years in the making

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What're all you reconfirming at? I saw revised pricing t up to $74. gently caress it I'm in for 50 at <=$84. Maybe more at more $ iunno it's free money honestly

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 6, 2021

Baddog
May 12, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

What're all you reconfirming at? I saw revised pricing t up to $74. gently caress it I'm in for 50 at <=$84. Maybe more at more $ iunno it's free money honestly

I said 75. I don't really even feel great there.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Do we know what day they're listing at yet?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why is $GOON not $6 yet?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

RCarr posted:

Why is $GOON not $6 yet?

Cause I haven't sold to get some offset losses next month yet.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DoubleT2172 posted:

Do we know what day they're listing at yet?

I see pricing on 9 Nov. Maybe allocation and listing by the 11th? No ideal really, I guess.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

ReidRansom posted:

I see pricing on 9 Nov. Maybe allocation and listing by the 11th? No ideal really, I guess.

On Sofi it says the 10th.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

10th is ideal, if you're bullish, because they're gonna announce SoFi earnings at close of market which is going to increase exposure even further and drive up demand/price

Rivian goes public, SoFi announces earnings, stock price goes moon, atm goes brrrr, calls go brrr

Brrr

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

while it's possible that sofi moons, like any other stock with retail interest, their earnings are not a slam dunk.

"loan origination and sales" is like half their net income. mortgage refis and other loans like student loans. that could easily slope downward beyond expectations in Q4
https://s27.q4cdn.com/749715820/files/doc_financials/2021/q2/SoFi-Technologies-Q2-2021-AS-FILED-8.16.2021.pdf

robinhood still managed to lose money in Q3 and their stock is suffering. sofi's brokerage ops will have a correlation with that.

they'll probably get hype next Q though as they're hosting the super bowl in sofi stadium in 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

sofi moons, get hype next Q as they're hosting the super bowl in sofi stadium in 2022

:hmmyes:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/06/how-intel-plans-to-catch-up-to-samsung-and-tsmc-with-44-billion-of-new-global-chip-fabs.html

quote:

“I think I have more concrete trucks working for me today than any other human on the planet,” Gelsinger said. “We have construction in Oregon, New Mexico, Arizona, Ireland and Israel. And we expect to plant our next major fabs in the U.S. and Europe before the end of this year.”

The next steps in Intel’s playbook include a chip so efficient that the company didn’t measure it in nanometers but with an even smaller unit of measurement called the angstrom. Intel said the 18a, which is in development for 2025, will accelerate the company past its competitors.

“We will be the world’s largest integrated design and manufacturer of silicon for the long term,” Gelsinger said.

INTC's rivals won't stand still, either. But I like the effort to get back into fabrication.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

elon is such a grifter and manipulator

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1457064697782489088?s=20

in reality he has a lot of options expiring that he has to dispose of anyway:

https://twitter.com/Valuations_/status/1457134635943559171?s=20

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Bape Culture posted:

Eventually they run out of cash flow to pay the back office but once you hear about the line missing checks, then the merry go round stops. TSLA has been there a couple times but not many and usually it's to put the fear of God/Elon in them

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bought some open. Anyone else?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

e: this isn't what the thumbnail said it was >:|

where's the comic comparing the stock market to the Warhammer 40k orks

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Bought some open. Anyone else?

I did. With Redfin saying that iBuying was still profitable, and open having that acquisition and canada expansion news I was hoping there would be some gains running up to their earnings. But apparently covid is over so I dunno whats gonna happen

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah thanks. anyway thats my bull case for rivian

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Re: Rivian and Amazon trucks, Ford's electric version of their Transit van is already apparently "sold out."

There's absolutely nothing sexy about the story "Hey you know Ford's Transit vehicle? They're making it in Electric now" but it's pretty significant if Ford is able to boringly pivot their massive operation to making electric versions of their existing successful vehicles.

Not a good thing for hip, low production startups like Rivian if Ford and other established companies can do this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good thing for the planet if last mile industrial delivery stops belching out what's effectively untreated diesel exhaust

Our kids, and especially our kids kids are going to be :aaaaa: over the idea that our economy used to run on dinosaur squeezings the same way we think of steam power as being quaint

I'm curious how much of rivian's IP was licensed by Ford. Ford very interestingly removed their board member from Rivian at the same time they filled their S-1. Worst case you lose your entire investment in RIVN, most likely case, you lose half your investment! Best case scenario you double it

In other news the $200 I threw at global foundries last week after their IPO hasn't had terrible returns

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Femtosecond posted:

Re: Rivian and Amazon trucks, Ford's electric version of their Transit van is already apparently "sold out."

There's absolutely nothing sexy about the story "Hey you know Ford's Transit vehicle? They're making it in Electric now" but it's pretty significant if Ford is able to boringly pivot their massive operation to making electric versions of their existing successful vehicles.

Not a good thing for hip, low production startups like Rivian if Ford and other established companies can do this.

That's been the issue with the hyped EV startups for a couple of years now. Companies like Ford, VW, Nissan etc have eased into EVs without much fuss and last I heard are out selling Tesla by a fair margin.

The startups might have a little bit of IP that gives them an edge over a specific aspect of EVs, but in the long run that is nothing on the advantage of having existing supply chains, mass production capability and distribution channels.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

. Companies like Ford, VW, Nissan etc are out selling Tesla by a fair margin.

Do you have any sources dated in the last year that prove this claim even half way? Legit curious. Last I heard Tesla was selling ~3:1 everyone else in the BEV (not hybrid) market

Tesla is grossly, grossly overvalued but pretty sure they're still the BEV market leader by a wide margin

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Depends what market you're talking about, since most sales are non-US (and most of those are by Chinese companies you've never heard of). Looks like in the first half of 2021 Tesla sold 386,000 cars, about 15% of the global EV market (and 22% of the BEV market). Electric vehicles are sustaining (easier, and eventually cheaper, to manufacture) so it's just a matter of when, not if, existing manufacturers switch over.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
At the end of the day, people are just going to buy the electric Camry and the electric F-150.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

LLCoolJD posted:

At the end of the day, people are just going to buy the electric Camry and the electric F-150.

Pretty much this. I'll buy an electric car when there's an affordable smaller SUV (like a Cherokee or FJ) that's not made by the randomly exploding car company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

At the end of the day, people are just going to buy the electric Camry and the electric Maverick.

Fixed for you. A 20k electric pickup with EV range is gonna be huge