Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Exactly why you think, it validates several right-wing narratives merely by existing and being not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And a show being mediocre is the perfect cover for bigots to mask their rear end in a top hat nature by couching transphobia and hatred between legitimate criticisms of production quality, writing and performances.

Well that sucks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was also a stink about it a couple years ago when it was revealed with a video that had the creators talking about the diversity involved.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think the diversity marketing was a pretty questionable decision but the criticism for it comes from two very different places lol

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I think most modern western animated shows start getting good only after the first season so even if it's mediocre it could get better.

If they even try to make a second season.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i suspect crunchyroll being bought by aniplex means no more of that stuff since they now have lots of actual anime "in house"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also despite this being one of their two wholly original and completely exclusive productions, the other being Onyx Equinox, they just kinda dumped HGS out and haven't been doing any real promotion of it whatsoever. Especially compared to how much promotion they did for Shield Hero, which found itself on the other side of that discourse dichotomy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

well they don't promote the japan-made magical girl shows they pick up either

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it really magical girl, though? It looks more like DND + School drama anime.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arc Hammer posted:

Is it really magical girl, though? It looks more like DND + School drama anime.

little witch academia meets endro! minus everything that makes both interesting to watch.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

So has anyone actually watched High Guardian Spice on Crunchyroll? I made a Dune joke and that's about it. I tried looking up some youtube reviews but all I got was videos attacking the show creators, Crunchyroll for being a bad platform and heaps of transphobia. Just seems like the show is getting dogpiled by assholes and that's making it hard to find discussions that aren't tinged by terfs and bigots.

What is the show actually like, extracted from the angry reactionary crowd?

I was one of the viewers. It's ok. The writing isn't good enough to keep my interest, but that's true for a lot of shows. There was a discussion on both here and the seasonal thread and, as was mentioned above, it's relatively mediocre but not terribly bad.

The only wild thing about the show is Crunchyroll's severe content warning that doesn't appear on any other show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TBF there's legitimate criticism of the diversity angle too. Talking about how you're going to 'bring diversity to anime' and poo poo in an office with like one asian person and a bunch of white women is just lovely no matter how you look at it. It very much felt like something that existed to satisfy Crunchy's thin veneer of being progressive. And the trailer dropped at the same time people were criticizing how little money they actually brought into the anime industry and how poorly paid their translators were. Even if the show was good that poo poo would be bad.

Like, if they wanted to make 'more diverse anime,' why not use their funding to help get anime made of manga and LNs and such with LGBT themes? They're clearly capable of doing that, and they even have at points, they were on Citrus's production committee. Iunno if an anime of Our Dreams at Dusk would be good, but it'd feel like a way more sincere enterprise than whatever High Guardian Spice is.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 6, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sb hermit posted:

The only wild thing about the show is Crunchyroll's severe content warning that doesn't appear on any other show.

They're clearly worried about chuds being triggered by the existence of the trans teacher or something, because it took like five or six episodes just to hear the word "poo poo".

Never mind that there's light profanity in a bunch of anime targeting the teen market.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Diverse Anime: New Black Lagoon Season

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Plutonis posted:

This is what I've been saying. Wired Red Wild Card has been done for a few years, let's do another OVA.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Black Lagoon kind of was already unintentionally diverse, given its cast. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, American, Irish, German, Russian, etc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Black Lagoon kind of was already unintentionally diverse, given its cast. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, American, Irish, German, Russian, etc.

that is my intention yes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also i want to see Revy pegging Rock

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

They're clearly worried about chuds being triggered by the existence of the trans teacher or something, because it took like five or six episodes just to hear the word "poo poo".

Never mind that there's light profanity in a bunch of anime targeting the teen market.
i dont think the warning is there for 'chuds' or something lol

i think new sincerity 'woke' types are just trained to put trigger warnings on literally everything. remember that blowup with boyfriend dungeon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

i dont think the warning is there for 'chuds' or something lol

i think new sincerity 'woke' types are just trained to put trigger warnings on literally everything. remember that blowup with boyfriend dungeon.

Never seen boyfriend dungeon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mister Facetious posted:

Benny was Jewish, too! That's why his middle name is "gently caress Nazis".

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
balalaika owns

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SmokaDustbowl posted:

balalaika owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR7y-c9mfxA

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Hey, Fry Face!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait a minute Prozd did a voice for HGS? That's cool, at least.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Wait a minute Prozd did a voice for HGS? That's cool, at least.

He's a big boy VA now. He was one of the leads in Borderlands 3 too.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Facetious posted:

Never seen boyfriend dungeon.

Its a game where people harassed a voice actor who voiced a villain for being emotionally abusive in story ( the villain in the game, not the voice actor) basically.

That sounds like, a biased interpretation but it really isn't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Specifically Boyfriend Dungeon opened with a huge trigger warning for emotional distress and manipulative behavior and stuff and then the villain was emotionally manipulative and put you in a distressing situation once. People then raged out about how they 'weren't properly warned' and wanted an option to turn him off. You know. An option to turn off the main villain of the game. And then, yeah, harassed the character's VA. Ridiculous poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Are children not taught the difference between portraying a thing and actually being a thing anymore?

Did the entire concept of "playing pretend" die at some point?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Are children not taught the difference between portraying a thing and actually being a thing anymore?

Depiction is endorsement is, I'm afraid, a very commonly held opinion these days. And not just by stupid zoomer kids who don't know any better.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

There's a definitive rise in "purantism" in online fandom circles against shipping and pairing with a lot of kids that sort of grew up in Tumbler fandom. Though probably it's more people using it to stop any queer pairs or couple in fandoms than people not getting it's not real (Though there are some that do fall in that category)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

bear in mind we're also just in an environment where a very small slice of people can be hysterically loud. i doubt it was more than 5% of people who played that game boiling their piss (not counting anyone who didn't play it but just loves to boil their piss all the time)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There's a definitive rise in "purantism" in online fandom circles against shipping and pairing with a lot of kids that sort of grew up in Tumbler fandom. Though probably it's more people using it to stop any queer pairs or couple in fandoms than people not getting it's not real (Though there are some that do fall in that category)
There were a lot of kids in the tumblr days who learned those opinions from people who self-admittedly were trying to be puritanical about gay people. It's really sad honestly you can literally find the source of a lot of the talking points people bang on about with bl or whatever to this day and its a tumblr blog from 2015 where some lady rants about how disgusting gay people are and then she makes a post about bl being 'problematic' that blows up and breaks everyone's brains.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The line between abuse for the sake of it and abuse to make an emotional story can be razor-thin. (people who attacked the VA are obviously idiots though)

Someone (who should have known better) recommended Elfen Lied to me.

I felt just terrible after finishing it. But it was probably one of the most emotionally heavy anime's I've ever seen, and Lucy was very relatable. But she was also incredibly cruel. Which seemed to be more for shock value than character building. It uses nudity to evoke vulnerability in a very efficient way. But I don't trust the show to not also do it for titillation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing is, that line is different for everyone. What's exploitative, sensationalist, or done for titillation's sake for one person can be incredibly powerful and raw for another person. If you accept the argument that art can have an impact on reality, then doesn't it also follow that trying to devalue or shield people from art they might find catharsis in is also a problem?

Not accusing you of doing the latter, mind, those are totally valid reads of Elfen Lied, more just using your post as a jumping off point.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
after only 9 years I've finally beaten Tales of Graces F

really good game, imo. I'll have to do NG+ at some point to see all the stuff I missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Xvk8Q0Nk8

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

here's my read of elfen lied: the first scene of the first episode with the clumsy ol is the only good part of the show

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I really liked Elfen Lied at 14, I dont expect I'd like it today.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't have the exact demographics on who was doing it but I do know that a bunch of people were harassing the poo poo out of Anna Gunn (Skyler White from Breaking Bad) and Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon; Game of Thrones) for playing characters so people are still melting their brains and assuming fake characters portrayed by actors are real people and need to be told to stop dissecting cats and torturing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also the Last of Us 2 thing, despite the voice actors being friends in real life.