Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I'm a dum-dum IT guy, but I feel like room-temperature superconducting loops and perfect insulators could make a stilsuit possible.

Alternatively, power them off whatever powers the personal shields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Smeef posted:

I found the spider much more unsettling after it was pointed out to me that Villaneuve apparently had a scene in a previous movie where spiders were used in sex. (I can't say I'm eager to verify.) So it's not just a spider monster pet. It's a sex spider monster pet.

Spiders are traditionally symbolic of the feminine, and Denis uses that symbolism visually in the movie Enemy to talk about male chauvinism and fear of women in the midst of a dissolving relationship. It's a cool movie.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Admiralty Flag posted:

IIRC in Children of Dune, when Leto II's heel pumps leak, the effect is that it depletes his water supply, so I assume the pumps recirculate your sweat, urine, and feces through filters.

Oh yeah, good point. TBH the effects of heat never seem to be much of a concern, it's all about water and dehydration. Heat is just one of those things Frank says "yeah, whatever, they deal with it".

Vampire Panties posted:

I'm a dum-dum IT guy, but I feel like room-temperature superconducting loops and perfect insulators could make a stilsuit possible.

Alternatively, power them off whatever powers the personal shields

One way to reconcile it would be to have some kind of super high-efficiency heat sinks built into the suits, which they have to discharge during the cold night in order to have enough cooling to move around during the day.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Pooping in a stillsuit has gotta be pretty awkward.

Honestly I think I would have a hard time taking a poo poo in a desert that has giant sandworms popping from from the depths at any moment.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The fremen have a desert poo poo that shits without rhythm to avoid attracting the sandworms, watch carefully and poo poo exactly as i do

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
https://beforesandafters.com/2021/11/06/the-dune-visual-effects-team-used-sandscreens-instead-of-bluescreens/

Paul Lambert: So, just to put the movie into perspective. The movie was going to finish at a slightly different point at the very beginning of production, but there was a certain budget to hit, and to Denis’ credit, rather than keeping the point where the movie was going to finish, he made it finish earlier, which meant that by doing that, he got the money to where it was supposed to be, but he didn’t compromise any of the departments. We still had the money for the physical ornithopters and the physical sets and appropriate vfx budget, we still had that. So having that clear thing, being able to build the ornithopter for example, it just made it a great basis for all of our visual effects.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"The Harkonnen pet is Wanna" strikes me as that kind of "what if..." internet theory that's actually a hypothesis with nothing in particular to support it, but also nothing it particular to contradict it. So you can see it as "yes, that makes so much sense it must be intentional" or as "no, why would it be anything but incidental" depending on your media reception habits/environment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Buller posted:

https://beforesandafters.com/2021/11/06/the-dune-visual-effects-team-used-sandscreens-instead-of-bluescreens/

Paul Lambert: So, just to put the movie into perspective. The movie was going to finish at a slightly different point at the very beginning of production, but there was a certain budget to hit, and to Denis’ credit, rather than keeping the point where the movie was going to finish, he made it finish earlier, which meant that by doing that, he got the money to where it was supposed to be, but he didn’t compromise any of the departments. We still had the money for the physical ornithopters and the physical sets and appropriate vfx budget, we still had that. So having that clear thing, being able to build the ornithopter for example, it just made it a great basis for all of our visual effects.

This makes sense, presumably the sietch would be balls-rear end expensive in every way, rendering the stench alone would have been millions

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's a fascinating article, I like it when it's pros talking so they're all "we kept the luminance threshold live within the plate values" and I can nod wisely and go nice work boys

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

At one stage during filming of Dune at Origo Film Studios in Budapest, visual effects supervisor Paul Lambert, having implemented a raft of sand-colored screens–rather than blue or greenscreens–on the backlot there, was asked by the line producer on set whether this meant everything would now need to be rotoscoped.

As they walked Lambert took a picture of the backlot covered in ‘sandscreen’ with his iPhone, brought this into a standard app and made a negative (inverted) image of the scene. “That’s when he realized that the entire thing was a bluescreen,” says Lambert.

:aaaaa:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Alucard posted:

Hosting some folks for a viewing party of ⊃⋃⋂⊂ and trying to get some ideas for theme relevant snacks.

Any suggestions on top of these are welcome:

Muad'Dip - Hummus + Carrots
Water of Life - Margarita with Blue Curacao
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Chai-Hulud

Put out a bowl of edible sand, hide gummi worms in it, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on a spot to make a spice patch.
https://www.miascucina.com/easy-edible-sand/

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The spider thing is an example of what they could have done to Wanna but there's no way it's her because the Baron kills Yueh as payment for the deal. She's dead or he's a liar and he's been demonstrated to be a very letter of the law sorta dealmaker.

I mean I guess we might have Yueh's head attached to the spider body in the next one, that'd be something.

Alucard posted:

Hosting some folks for a viewing party of ⊃⋃⋂⊂ and trying to get some ideas for theme relevant snacks.

Any suggestions on top of these are welcome:

Muad'Dip - Hummus + Carrots
Water of Life - Margarita with Blue Curacao
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Chai-Hulud

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 6, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I like how the Harkkonens had a literal 'cone of silence'.

Kinda want a mutant spider thing to just creep about on the ceiling and glare at my political rivals with its eyeless face.

That’s in the book

Mohaim takes the place of fenring

High_Life
Sep 19, 2004

MIND GAMES...
I signed up for HBO max to watch Dune. The scenes and the content were good. The editing and the flow were horrible. Still cheaper than theater I guess

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the only real editing nitpick I have is when Paul fights Jamis and they use the same shot of Jamis yelling at Paul twice in a row like some kind of ytp. it's extremely odd and off-putting

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

the maud'dib was real!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mozi posted:

the maud'dib was real!

quote:

Everybody loved that little mouse.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mozi posted:

the maud'dib was real!

PRACTICAL MUAD'DIB! PRACTICAL MUAD'DIB!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vampire Panties posted:

The last thing you want in a hot environment is to be wrapped in a perfect insulator.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mozi posted:

the maud'dib was real!

oh. my. GAWD.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Buller posted:

thank you for this!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
That whole article is SO amazing, the way they did the hologram is so interesting and cool! Thanks so much for posting that!

My sister linked me this on Facebook:

quote:

Picture this.
You're 17 years old, working at some grease counter in your hometown that everyone loves because there's literally no other options and mozzarella sticks are pretty hard to gently caress up.
One day your boss comes in, hes got a laundry list of poo poo he needs done around the place because next week the place is going to be on some TV show for food network.
You're pissed. Because you know it's Restaurant Rescues and you know 90% of the places that go on that show buckle within 6 months. Now you've not only got to do a bunch of annoying poo poo but also find another job.
Now it's Saturday, the camera crews are setting up. The whole place smells like Pine-Sol and is packed because a bunch of bumpkins are just fuckin chuffed at the opportunity to be on the television.
You're standing at the counter awkwardly taking orders in a way that's more annoying and professional than you've ever done before and your boss is hovering. As you stare into the void over the head of the foot faced man who owns the Ace Hardware combination Hollywood Video that constitutes the economic center of this municipality you can see a yellow Ford F250 with flames on it pull into the parking lot.
Out jumps a man who looks like a giant alien worm trying unsuccessfully to disguise himself as a vape shop owner. But you laugh because you get to keep your job and take some sick pics for facebook clout. You never thought you'd be so relieved for the opportunity to come back to this shithole.
And within minutes of filming you find him extremely charming. Every meme you'd ever shared about a man whose character is frosted tips and flame shirts now suddenly disservices the extremely pleasant being before you. As he goes through the motions of helping you make your "famous" chicken parm sub. Which retails for an indulgent $7.99 you're laughing. This isn't the missing link between Violent J and the singer for Smash Mouth. This guy is great. You feel intoxicated as you work.
"So tell me about the spices you put on this whopper of a sandwich"
"Oh nothing too exciting, just garlic/onions/parsley/oregano"
"I love spices. Let me see you do it"
Hes standing behind you now, with steady practiced hands helping you apply the flavors to the sandwich. Exageratedly fawning over you and the percieved flavors of the sandwich. You breathe him in and are overcome with how otherworldly he smells.
"Show me the spice closet. I wanna see what you've got for spices. Let's see if we can kick this baby into overdrive. Let's spice it up"
You look into his piercing blue eyes and grin.
Your fingers caress the tired stainless knob that was but five feet from where you stood just moments ago practically embracing.
Upon opening the door your eyes are met with an unfamiliar vision. Instead of weathered racks of grease clouded plastic bottles and a water heater. You look out into a derelict desert city. Small cracked brown buildings feature uncharacteristically futuristic doors, and guards disguised as traders shift uneasily trying to disguise state of the art guns.
"So this is where you keep the spices then. Is this on Arrakis?"
But your breath is too short to respond.
As you turn around. The restaurant begins to melt away. His eyes grow deeper blue and you hear a thunderous noise from behind you. The illusion dissolves like a drug trip, as the disguise begins to strip away. Your heart is pounding. You feel absolute terror.
This man. Who is clearly no man then forcefully pushes you through the door and the portal immediately closes as you lay on your back in the sand. The sound of the wind is cut by an apocalyptic roar.
The last sight your eyes behold. Is the miles long flame print trunk of the great blonde sand worm bursting forth from the desert in pursuit of the spices stored here. Flavortowns greatest weapon unfurls. Distant voices shout "It's Guy Halud" before the entire town is swallowed by the beast. The dust quickly consumes the rubble and by days end any evidence of the slaughter is all but forgotten by the sand.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

Jewmanji posted:

Reread the Appendix and was shocked and delighted to read about how the Fremen created improvised stillsuits for their pack animals. Do it, Denis.

What pack animals do Fremen have?
Are we talking about stillsuits for Muad'Dibs?
Stillsuits for Shai'Huluds?
Chairdogs?

NmareBfly posted:

The spider thing is an example of what they could have done to Wanna but there's no way it's her because the Baron kills Yueh as payment for the deal. She's dead or he's a liar and he's been demonstrated to be a very letter of the law sorta dealmaker.

I mean I guess we might have Yueh's head attached to the spider body in the next one, that'd be something.

Couldn't the head be someone else, and just one set of arm-legs belong to Wanna? Perhaps the Baron wants to add another set of arm-legs onto it so people stop calling his "original character do not steal" a spider.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it looked more genetic engineered than frankenstein to me

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mods, please change thread title to A Spider Thing Called Wanna.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do you think spider-wanna would be into clammy pasty nerds? you think she would want to hold hands??? jk hahahaha... unless?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mozi posted:

the maud'dib was real!

NGL I want to pet that little mousey

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Does anyone know what "faufreluches" is based on, or if it even is based on a real life thing? It sounds kinda French but I can't really find anything about it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

Mods, please change thread title to A Spider Thing Called Wanna.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was thinking some more about the opening "dreams are messages from the deep" quote and the choice to have it read in the Sardaukar language. Someone on Reddit had an interesting theory: that this is a nod to Irulan's epigraphs in the book. It's been a while since I've read Children of Dune but apparently it mentions that after Paul's jihad, the Sardaukar took up the Fremen religion including its dream interpretations. So maybe, like Irulan, Muad'dib's empire turbocucked them into documenting his conquest and life. Of course this doesn't explain why the cantor also appears to say the exact same words as part of the Sardaukar ritual - maybe they're already super into dream interpretation; maybe everyone in Denis' Dune universe is into it.

Anyway this led me down a rabbit hole thinking about constructed languages and the work of David J. Peterson, the conlang consultant for the film (who has quite the body of work from other franchises, I mean the guy practically invented the modern concept of conlanging). It's really fascinating stuff - if it weren't too late for me to get back into academia I feel like linguistics and conlanging would be something I'd pursue. I think I'll pick up his book. He's shared some really cool little tidbits including this PDF of some translated dialogue from the film, as well as this page of audio clips, and this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Dedalvs/status/1452724546369253376

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Panfilo posted:

Pooping in a stillsuit has gotta be pretty awkward.

Honestly I think I would have a hard time taking a poo poo in a desert that has giant sandworms popping from from the depths at any moment.

NGL I think I'd have a really easy time making GBS threads my stillsuit with giant sandworms popping from the depths at any moment.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I was thinking some more about the opening "dreams are messages from the deep" quote and the choice to have it read in the Sardaukar language. Someone on Reddit had an interesting theory: that this is a nod to Irulan's epigraphs in the book. It's been a while since I've read Children of Dune but apparently it mentions that after Paul's jihad, the Sardaukar took up the Fremen religion including its dream interpretations. So maybe, like Irulan, Muad'dib's empire turbocucked them into documenting his conquest and life. Of course this doesn't explain why the cantor also appears to say the exact same words as part of the Sardaukar ritual - maybe they're already super into dream interpretation; maybe everyone in Denis' Dune universe is into it.

Anyway this led me down a rabbit hole thinking about constructed languages and the work of David J. Peterson, the conlang consultant for the film (who has quite the body of work from other franchises, I mean the guy practically invented the modern concept of conlanging). It's really fascinating stuff - if it weren't too late for me to get back into academia I feel like linguistics and conlanging would be something I'd pursue. I think I'll pick up his book. He's shared some really cool little tidbits including this PDF of some translated dialogue from the film, as well as this page of audio clips, and this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Dedalvs/status/1452724546369253376

:five:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flakey posted:

Does anyone know what "faufreluches" is based on, or if it even is based on a real life thing? It sounds kinda French but I can't really find anything about it.

My guess: faux+freluche to mean something like “false frippery”

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Looks like maybe Georgian or something.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Me and my 10 years living in France are ashamed of never having thought of "faux". If you need me I'll be out in the desert.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

YoursTruly posted:

What pack animals do Fremen have?
Donkeys, according to the book. And iirc it's not the Fremen, but the smugglers that use them. I think it's Duncan who's reporting to Leto and says something like "they used pack beasts and indicated they faced an 18 day journey" or somesuch. The specifics about the donkeys is in one of the appendices.

Considering the value of spice that is a rich motherfuckin' donkey.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'd like to see a donkey doing the sand walk

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Admiralty Flag posted:

NGL I think I'd have a really easy time making GBS threads my stillsuit with giant sandworms popping from the depths at any moment.

Usul called a big one! :eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ProtonInspector/status/1456709784854581254?s=20