Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Fakename posted:

The subtle melancholy is really what elevates Ghosts from just being a regular sitcom. Does the US version maintain that?

Not at all. The main actor delivers her lines like she's super happy to be there no matter what the scene calls for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

Yea

We're re-watching them and yea, he's around the female contestants a LOT more. I mean it could be that they're more social - there's always some people who just don't seem to want to talk. Which makes sense! But still.

Pretty sure he's matured a bit since that article is 13 years old. He's in a committed relationship and has 2 kids now, after all.

Seems a bit OTT to insinuate that because he talks to the female contestants on Bake Off (and the last time I checked, aren't the majority of contestants female?) he's a creep.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 21, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah but otoh he was dating a 16 year old when he was in his 30s, so I don't think he should really be given the benefit of the doubt.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Pretty sure he's matured a bit since that article is 13 years old. He's in a committed relationship and has 2 kids now, after all.

Seems a bit OTT to insinuate that because he talks to the female contestants on Bake Off (and the last time I checked, aren't the majority of contestants female?) he's a creep.

I'm assuming he's a creep because he dated a 16 year old in his 30s.
He's never said "oh sorry that was wrong"

Watch the show knowing what you know now. He's even super close to the female contestants when he speaks to them. And only certain ones too.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Dell_Zincht posted:

He keeps 'maturing', teenage girls stay the same age.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Strawman posted:

He keeps 'maturing', teenage girls stay the same age.

Like I said, he's been in a relationship with a woman only 8 years younger than him since 2010 and has two kids, so i'll absolutely give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to him talking to female contestants on a reality show where the majority of contestants are female.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dell_Zincht posted:

Like I said, he's been in a relationship with a woman only 8 years younger than him since 2010 and has two kids, so i'll absolutely give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to him talking to female contestants on a reality show where the majority of contestants are female.
Why?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah I watched some tonight and he gets close and flirty with every single contestant including the old men.

I'm sure he's been a creep in the past which is obviously not on but I'm not seeing it with Bake Off.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
https://twitter.com/govindajeggy/status/1450854194173337608?s=21

:lol:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

As a person who discovered multiple seasons of Taskmaster on American Youtube during 2020 I'm looking forward to People Just Do Nothing so I hope it's not *checks notes* shite

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Mob posted:

As a person who discovered multiple seasons of Taskmaster on American Youtube during 2020 I'm looking forward to People Just Do Nothing so I hope it's not *checks notes* shite

PJDN is great. From your post I assume you’re American, in which case there’s probably a whole bunch of cultural references you may not get. I grew up in a suburb of London during the garage music era so it massively rings true, the writers/actors are clearly very familiar with the subject.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, as great as PJDN is, I'm not sure how well it'll translate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I only grew up around 30 miles from where it's set and a lot of it went over my head. It's still funny though even without the cultural touchstones.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Has anyone seen the movie? Just quickly googled it, and the reviews seem more or less what you'd expect for a British sitcom movie.

The pinnacle of which, of course, is still Alpha Papa.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not Guest House Paradiso?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Perfect Element posted:

Has anyone seen the movie? Just quickly googled it, and the reviews seem more or less what you'd expect for a British sitcom movie.

The pinnacle of which, of course, is still Alpha Papa.

It's perfectly fine, maybe not as great as you'd hope but laughed a bunch and was a good send off. I mean, it definitely follows tradition of sending the cast abroad so everyone can have a nice holiday and get paid for it.

The US remake attempt just looked messy, it's a reaaaaally hard concept to localize because it combines such specific things. I spent a while mentally trying to work out if I was to do it over here, how would I do it etc. I'm in South Florida so the dudes who do this https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article177077711.html would make for a good basis, but then you're missing out on the whole 'garage is over' aspect, but at least targets a niche thing outside of the mainstream. The official remake using a DJ crew in Nevada? Nah mate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

navid would poo poo them :hehe:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
After Sean Lock's death, 15 Storey's High finally made it to streaming. I haven't seen it since the first run.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p007x816/15-storeys-high-series-1-3-blue-rat

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's been on Youtube for a few years now, but that's good because more people should see it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pablo Bluth posted:

After Sean Lock's death, 15 Storey's High finally made it to streaming. I haven't seen it since the first run.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p007x816/15-storeys-high-series-1-3-blue-rat

It's wild to see Benedict Wong then end up in the Marvel world. Even in this though he's such a likeable actor.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Anyone watching The Outlaws?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We just got around to watching series 1 of Guilt a few weeks ago and enjoyed it; I feel like describing it as a dark comedy was a reach after the first few minutes, but it was overall very good and I made pretend Max was the same character as the Mr. Sani-Can Man from Phoneshop.

Series 2 is on iPlayer and if I had to choose one adjective to describe it, I'd choose convoluted. It's interesting in a "butterfly flaps its wings in 1980s Leith and blows poo poo all over the timeline; also someone psychologically abuses the butterfly" way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Anyone watching The Outlaws?

First two episodes were real good. Walken is hilarious and I really like the nerdy girl

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New series of Stath Lets Flats is so good, and has set a new bar for absolute painful cringe comedy.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://twitter.com/Brocklesnitch/status/1455351345993502720

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
finally got around to watching Vigil

it's extremely stupid and full of plot holes and the CGI is utterly terrible, but the performances are mainly good and it's entertaining enough to have on in the background at least

somehow on this high-tech nuclear submarine no-one notices they're about to get rammed by a tanker until the captain literally sees it coming through the periscope

e: I'm also skipping through all the sad car crash backstory because I just don't care

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 5, 2021

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Having a very young son, this means I end up waking up early and I will put on Cbeebies for him to watch while I wait for the coffee to work.

One of shows on at this time of the day is the Go Jetters, a show about a bunch of people that go around the world solving problems often caused by one of their own, Grandmaster Glitch.

Recently they went to Cheddar and Grandmaster Glitch completely filled Cheddar Gorge with molten cheese fondue. I never realised that children's shows could get do dark because that will have killed many thousands of people. The Go Jetters only managed to save 3 people so that's going to be thousands of residents, workers and tourists that are now deceased because of the actions of one person.

Defund the Go Jetters.

And while we are on the subject of children's TV, what is the deal with Bing? What an absolutely whiny little poo poo. Bing also seems to get away with anything and Flop will just say "it's no big thing" no matter how serious. Never any punishment

Criminal damage, no big thing
Assault, no big thing
Theft, no big thing

That Bing is going to grow up without any concern for his actions.
15 years from now, Bing is probably going to be on drugs, possibly forcing Xula to take them as well. Pando will probably be his dealer thinking about it. Night Xula is going to spurn his advances one night so Bing is going to go and get himself a lady of negotiable affection then probably not pay once all is done. There's going to be an argument and something smashed over her head. You are going to end up with Flop digging a shallow grave in the garden to get Bing off the hook.

Murdering Prostitute's - It's a Bing thing!

Oh, and Bluey is the best show on British TV right now.

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 6, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kids TV chat

Bing is the worst. Daniel Tiger (onNetflix) has all the good messages and useful rhymes/sayings to prompt your kid to do the good thing like on TV, and none of the whiny shitbaggery.

Go Jetters are fun but yes, clean-up of catastrophes is often limited. Standard "hero" fare I suppose. Octonauts fill a similar niche but with aquatic animals instead of geographic landmarks, and usually less dramatic fuckups.

My top picks were always Sarah and Duck, the Clangers, and Hey Duggee.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Tsietisin posted:

Having a very young son, this means I end up waking up early and I will put on Cbeebies for him to watch while I wait for the coffee to work.

One of shows on at this time of the day is the Go Jetters, a show about a bunch of people that go around the world solving problems often caused by one of their own, Grandmaster Glitch.

Recently they went to Cheddar and Grandmaster Glitch completely filled Cheddar Gorge with molten cheese fondue. I never realised that children's shows could get do dark because that will have killed many thousands of people. The Go Jetters only managed to save 3 people so that's going to be thousands of residents, workers and tourists that are now deceased because of the actions of one person.

Defund the Go Jetters.

And while we are on the subject of children's TV, what is the deal with Bing? What an absolutely whiny little poo poo. Bing also seems to get away with anything and Flop will just say "it's no big thing" no matter how serious. Never any punishment

Criminal damage, no big thing
Assault, no big thing
Theft, no big thing

That Bing is going to grow up without any concern for his actions.
15 years from now, Bing is probably going to be on drugs, possibly forcing Xula to take them as well. Pando will probably be his dealer thinking about it. Night Xula is going to spurn his advances one night so Bing is going to go and get himself a lady of negotiable affection then probably not pay once all is done. There's going to be an argument and something smashed over her head. You are going to end up with Flop digging a shallow grave in the garden to get Bing off the hook.

Murdering Prostitute's - It's a Bing thing!

Oh, and Bluey is the best show on British TV right now.

Finally, some kids tv chat. I find it weird the creepiest shows are the ones my son finds the most hypnotising, moon and me and in the night garden in particular. He’s also obsessed with the twirly woos.

Seriously though moon and me is horrifying, the clown with the weird pimple eyes in particular moves like a horror movie villain

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Finally, some kids tv chat. I find it weird the creepiest shows are the ones my son finds the most hypnotising, moon and me and in the night garden in particular. He’s also obsessed with the twirly woos.

Seriously though moon and me is horrifying, the clown with the weird pimple eyes in particular moves like a horror movie villain

Walk, walk, whoops, upside down, Wavey legs, whoops, jump

Mine seems particularly obsessed with Tinpo and Tik Tak.

Though he also really like Grace's Amazing Machines and that is another excellent show.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Bluey is absolutely fantastic. My five year old and two year old have probably watched both series about 30 times, but it still doesn't do my head in as much as paw patrol does.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Having my own kids who are neurotypical and then nephews and nieces who are not I've always assumed that Bing is neurodivergent, and maybe Pando, too. Sula seems like she's the same or similar age and has far, far less trouble picking things up, especially social cues, than Bing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve recommended Bluey to several of my friends with kids and they’ve always said it’s gone down really well. Great show

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've got a kid due in December so have all of this new kids TV to look forward to.

How different is it from 40 years ago. Back then I think I watched poo poo like sesame Street, postman Pat and a few other things like pigeon Street or something before moving onto stuff like looney tunes, flintstones, Tom and Jerry, etc and Disney.

I'm guessing it's a lot more developmental and educational stuff now?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Postman Pat is still going with all new episodes, though it's also called Special Delivery Service.

The Sesame Street Muppets are on a show about a Muppet run hotel called The Furchester.

Most stuff for the really young children does seem to have things designed to educate while being fun. There no straight up cartoons unless there is some learning aspect to it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pigeon Street was hella educational.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Amazon Fulfillment Associate Pat

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sesame Street but the houses are full of software engineers who praise Oscar for enriching the neighborhood with authenticity but soon discover he's grouchy towards them in particular until eventually they price him out of his garbage can and convert it into sixteen AirBnBs

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

How did the Furchester Hotel fair during the pandemic, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How is Octonauts? I feel like if I was 5 that would be my jam.

https://twitter.com/mrmoth/status/881819495765090305