Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Gonna need a close up of that spare tire cover, trekking through the wilderness :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sold both the ToyoAce and the unlisted BJ73 today to the same family, former (maybe just the father?) Mennonites turned builders, obviously deeply loaded. Perhaps the most pleasant, down to earth and excellent people we've dealt with as well. A pure pleasure.
Originally they came to look at the ToyoAce, loved it, then asked about the Land Cruiser. Love that as well so they scooped that up as well. Means we are down to six total vehicles left. :feelsgood:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My first post in this thread was from over four years ago but guess what (cross-post from my LX 470 thread)

Many thanks to Kaker for the thread, the private messages answered and all.

Ferremit has replied in my thread to say it is worthwhile to replace the thermostat since those can fail in the closed position and overheat to crack the cylinder head. I will be ordering those in along with some filters and probably drive belts.

213k would send many of the JDM mileage queens running to the hills, but we have plenty of them running around with twice that here in Australia.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Spotted this the other day walking around Chinatown Vancouver. Took me a moment and a bit of walking around to figure out what the heck it was since it was unbadged. It did have an MMC sticker on the back though so I'm pretty sure this is simply a first gen Mitsubishi Pajero? I didn't recognize it as such at first since 90% of the time when I see a Pajero it has some sort of bull bar fog light setup in front, but this car of course is very stripped down in appearance.

Seemed like a very nice, compact SUV. Ideal for having in a city environment where being able to parallel park without stress is key.

I don't feel we talk much about Pajero's around here. I don't see too many of them around town, not like Delicas, which I'm constantly seeing. Given that a Pajero is just another SUV, maybe most people around here don't see much reason to buy one over say a Jeep.

Any reason to be interested in buying a Pajero over anything else (other than it's cheaper than a landcruiser?).

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Femtosecond posted:

Spotted this the other day walking around Chinatown Vancouver. Took me a moment and a bit of walking around to figure out what the heck it was since it was unbadged. It did have an MMC sticker on the back though so I'm pretty sure this is simply a first gen Mitsubishi Pajero? I didn't recognize it as such at first since 90% of the time when I see a Pajero it has some sort of bull bar fog light setup in front, but this car of course is very stripped down in appearance.

Seemed like a very nice, compact SUV. Ideal for having in a city environment where being able to parallel park without stress is key.

I don't feel we talk much about Pajero's around here. I don't see too many of them around town, not like Delicas, which I'm constantly seeing. Given that a Pajero is just another SUV, maybe most people around here don't see much reason to buy one over say a Jeep.

Any reason to be interested in buying a Pajero over anything else (other than it's cheaper than a landcruiser?).

Maybe has some parts from a Dodge Raider; it's the Pajero, but Dodge did import some under the Raider name and the raider that's in my town has that exact trim.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I think mainly because for the price good “big” Pajeros go for you could buy other vehicles that would be worth more to import.

I’ve had 5-6 Pajero Minis.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

213k would send many of the JDM mileage queens running to the hills, but we have plenty of them running around with twice that here in Australia.

There are quite a few with 400k+ mileage in Japan as well but yeah, why import those when you can stay around 200k instead.

Femtosecond posted:

I've had three Pajeros of that generation, two shorties like the one you posted and a four door one. You can get OK profit off of them, and they are cool enough in that anything blocky and squared off looks pretty exotic these days, but essentially yeah, it is marginally less expensive to bring one in to North America without the demand that a Toyota has. Compound the fact that there is a demand for Pajeros world wide, you both have to compete with the people that actually want a Pajero only to sell it to people that don't want them here in NA. This is the primary reason I never got the nerve to import a Nissan Safari (aka Patrol outside of Japan). Lots of demand worldwide including inside Japan itself, but not enough here in north America to justify the same cost to import it.

A two door Prado will be the same size but worlds better. Plus you can sell it for far more once you've had your fun!

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
I just got back from another trek from Long Beach back to Denver. I even convinced my Dad to come along for the journey! I packed tools and an oil filter and figured we would spend the entire first day doing maintenance on the truck before we started the drive. It's a 1994 Toyota Hiace and it started up no problem, had a sticker inside saying we had a few thousand km's before it needed its next oil change. After an inspection of the oil we decided it was good enough to drive. Tires were in excellent condition and bought a backup starter battery but didn't even end up needing to swap it out. We just tossed our suitcases in the back, filled it with diesel and hit the road.

Fish tacos and Grapefruit Sculpin IPA to kick off this journey

65 miles per hour on the highway and that canvas tarp on the back was like a drat sail so I quickly untied it and balled it up in the back seat.

Biggest gas station in California

Stopped for a tank of diesel and a ice cream cone in Yermo, CA

Got a room in Las Vegas that evening for a song and on the way out in the morning my Dad won $125 at a slot machine as we were rolling our suitcases out the door!! We did another long day of driving and ended the day in Farmington, New Mexico. Had some awesome New Mexican food for dinner that night and crashed hard at a hotel. The final day we rolled through southwestern Colorado and made our way up to Denver. Had a fun trip and lots of great experiences with my Dad A+ would do again

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The HiAce fire truck looks killer. Rad man

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

johnnyonetime posted:

HiAce raodtrip

Hell yeah, looks great.

'Active Base' Hilux is ready to be listed but won't be for another 6~ weeks or so at the earliest. A week from now we head to Germany on a 5~ week trip so it's gotta wait till we get back. The truck itself is extremely excellent, not sure if we've ever had a vehicle with more character than this. Absolutely clean, no rot anywhere, ESPECIALLY paying attention to the front floorboards. The last sequence of pictures shows the operation of the crane, in order. Manual pivot, left and right sweep, and hand extension of the boom arm itself with electric line in and out. If I were to keep it I'd do some sort of rhino-line in the bed, paint matched, and fix up the metal box that covers the winch itself but otherwise fly it as it is. Maybe repaint the hood but I wouldn't want to lose the decals on the nose. When it sells it will most likely be the most expensive vehicle we've ever sold, but that all depends on how much attention it gets.
The 'LN107-PRMGS' tag that is both on the back window and in the 'Active Base' manual allude to the uniqueness of the truck. The crane is something built into the truck, not added at a dealership. There is a unique chassis modification for the support that uses the bottle jack, set of unique mounting points in the bed along with special modifications for wiring to power the winch in the bed that goes up to the front, along with a unique set of relays and assorted bits. The winch itself, while it looks all the world to me like the same ones put in the fronts of any 70 series, does run a significantly less-thick line.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 27, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

johnnyonetime posted:

I just got back from another trek from Long Beach back to Denver. I even convinced my Dad to come along for the journey! I packed tools and an oil filter and figured we would spend the entire first day doing maintenance on the truck before we started the drive. It's a 1994 Toyota Hiace and it started up no problem, had a sticker inside saying we had a few thousand km's before it needed its next oil change. After an inspection of the oil we decided it was good enough to drive. Tires were in excellent condition and bought a backup starter battery but didn't even end up needing to swap it out. We just tossed our suitcases in the back, filled it with diesel and hit the road.

Fish tacos and Grapefruit Sculpin IPA to kick off this journey

65 miles per hour on the highway and that canvas tarp on the back was like a drat sail so I quickly untied it and balled it up in the back seat.

Biggest gas station in California

Stopped for a tank of diesel and a ice cream cone in Yermo, CA

Got a room in Las Vegas that evening for a song and on the way out in the morning my Dad won $125 at a slot machine as we were rolling our suitcases out the door!! We did another long day of driving and ended the day in Farmington, New Mexico. Had some awesome New Mexican food for dinner that night and crashed hard at a hotel. The final day we rolled through southwestern Colorado and made our way up to Denver. Had a fun trip and lots of great experiences with my Dad A+ would do again

Nice, how much did you end up getting it for? My nephew lives in Denver as well and is looking to get the same type of fire truck as yours, I showed him this thread not long ago and he's been watching the auctions.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nice, how much did you end up getting it for? My nephew lives in Denver as well and is looking to get the same type of fire truck as yours, I showed him this thread not long ago and he's been watching the auctions.

I'm in over five figures for it so far, this is my most expensive import to date. It had 6,000 miles on the odometer and is essentially brand new. I know a person that runs a farm and is very interested in it for those purposes. Had a contractor stop me while pumping diesel and he was interested as well, it would be a perfect truck for that sort of business! Since it is an unusual size with the canopy I had to have it remeasured in Japan and trucking companies were wary of shipping it in the United States so it was a bit of a pain to get it to Denver. We road-tripped it for a fraction of the cost of the ridiculous quotes I received to ship it via a carrier company.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Keep hearing about this kind of stuff, but a pretty clear video went up today. Sammit can be annoying to watch, but this is timestamped (3m 30s) to a grade 4 car with a bunch of rust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osqiLeUUM-o&t=210s

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

That's a lot of rust

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BlackMK4 posted:

Keep hearing about this kind of stuff, but a pretty clear video went up today. Sammit can be annoying to watch, but this is timestamped (3m 30s) to a grade 4 car with a bunch of rust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osqiLeUUM-o&t=210s

Definitely need to have an inspection done. It is like $30. Why wouldn't you?

So apparently the thing about imports is they are like STDs. You can't have just one!

and the Mona Lisa:

Those are japanese seat doilies with the SURF logo embroidered. How could I resist?

1994 Hilux Surf. Automatic, 108,000kms. Graded a 4/C. The decals and fog lights had me weak. The low miles were my siren song. I had to get it inspected.

quote:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 83,200km, oil dirty but no sludge, coolant ok, transmission slightly oily but not dripping, tires at 70% ok, spare old, cargo area ok, undercarriage ok, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat door side torn 5cm along seam, other seats ok, dashboard glue remains, ceiling liner dirty, no burns, ac ok, at no shock or lag, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, mirrors ok, windows ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

Put in what I considered a strong bid. I got it well under that so I was quite pleased! So I wait...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Those doilies are loving rude. Nicely done.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is a great looking no Surf nice find

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Guess I can officially post in this thread now. Went in a bit different direction....

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 84,000km

Sweet Japanese radar detector:
https://i.imgur.com/FTXsAHh.mp4

Bonus fantastic Japanese punk CD:
https://i.imgur.com/7TQR3rc.mp4

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What market it is originally from? Or did they sell them LHD there?

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Charles posted:

What market it is originally from? Or did they sell them LHD there?

This one was originally sold in California and then shortly after shipped to Japan. But having spent time looking, I'd say about ~70% of Porsche and Mercedes in Japan are LHD.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
A few months ago I sold my Delica L300 to a really cool guy that flew to Denver with a sleeping bag and cash, I picked him up from the airport and over the course of about 5 days he just road tripped it 1,800 miles to New Jersey like it was nothing. It was awesome selling to him because I could tell he was just as excited about the Delica as I was, however it left hole in my heart when he drove away. So last night I threw a bid down on this Delica L400 long wheel base with crystal lite roof and won the auction for a very reasonable price!

The A/C doesn't work which I imagine it just needs a recharge or possibly just a new compressor and the front sunroof is stuck closed but that seems to be a pretty common problem that just involves cleaning the dried grease off the electric motor and worm gears, new grease and reassembly. They listed "paint waves" on the hood but I am crossing my fingers some polishing compound and wax will spiff it right up.

I guess while I am waiting for it to arrive stateside I can order a "One Less Sprinter" stickers to put on the back and hopefully I don't get mistaken for a dude driving a Ford Windstar van with an aggresive front bumper.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sellers itt, what's the favorite Japanese import for off roading, if any?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

johnnyonetime posted:

A few months ago I sold my Delica L300 to a really cool guy that flew to Denver with a sleeping bag and cash, I picked him up from the airport and over the course of about 5 days he just road tripped it 1,800 miles to New Jersey like it was nothing. It was awesome selling to him because I could tell he was just as excited about the Delica as I was, however it left hole in my heart when he drove away. So last night I threw a bid down on this Delica L400 long wheel base with crystal lite roof and won the auction for a very reasonable price!

I guess while I am waiting for it to arrive stateside I can order a "One Less Sprinter" stickers to put on the back and hopefully I don't get mistaken for a dude driving a Ford Windstar van with an aggresive front bumper.

So cool! After seeing McStephenson's Hiace in person I have put those in my regular rotation of things to look at. A 4WD van is definitely something I want to bring in. They are calling to me.

I finally got a sailing date for my Prado! I am hoping the RoRo ships are faster at Long Beach than the container ships. If the schedule is to be believed it will touch America the middle of next month which seems unlikely. Can a ship make it across the ocean in two weeks? I will probably give your transport guy a call once I get my paperwork in hand. I am going to call the guy that my boss used too so I have two things to compare.

Russian Bear posted:

I guess that depends a lot on what kind of off roading you are trying to do, and if there is a specific reason for a japanese import to do that. My head and heart say 80 series diesel Land Cruiser with the factory triple lockers because those rule and are ultimately what I would like for myself one day. The Surfs seem to be a good value compared to other things right now (78 series Land Cruiser Prados and 60/70/80 series Land Cruisers) but those are also going to be limited in comparison. Are you full rock crawling? or trundling down forest roads?

Missed out on a second Surf. I couldn't resist it looked so clean.

62000 kms. 1995 Timing belt done 2500 kms ago. One owner. I was outbid by about $450, but it missed reserve by about $4500. I might watch for it and bid again.

It still has the plastic on the door cards from the dealer.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

johnnyonetime posted:

The A/C doesn't work which I imagine it just needs a recharge or possibly just a new compressor and the front sunroof is stuck closed but that seems to be a pretty common problem that just involves cleaning the dried grease off the electric motor and worm gears, new grease and reassembly. They listed "paint waves" on the hood but I am crossing my fingers some polishing compound and wax will spiff it right up.

Holy guacamole is that thing awesome. Please post tons of pics when it arrives, I'm a huge van nerd. Is there a van thread?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

There are a ton of great off roaders but most end up in a Toyota or Mitsubishi. All the usually suspects are through the roof. If you find a gas Delica they can be somewhat cheap. What off-roading do you do? I’m on my sixth Pajero Mini they are capable and cheap.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

GOD IS BED posted:

Holy guacamole is that thing awesome. Please post tons of pics when it arrives, I'm a huge van nerd. Is there a van thread?

Thanks I absolutely will post a ton of pics! I'm not sure if there is a dedicated van thread but I could be persuaded to do a build thread. This will be my second van build, well let's say modification. I plan on keeping it as stock as possible but injecting some modernization. A second battery and battery isolator, dual din head unit, knobby little tires, refreshed suspension, maybe a swing out tire carrier? Definitely keeping the seats, carpet, all that. The seat configuration on Delicas is so flexible you can fold down captains chairs and/or spin them 180 degrees and lower back bench flat and put a nice thick air mattress like an Exped Megamat. That eliminates the need for 150 lbs of plywood and piano hinges in the back of the van, like so:

(Not my picture but exactly how I slept in the Delica Star Wagon, then you still have seating for seven when you roll up the air mattress in the morning.)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

johnnyonetime posted:

Nice! We have plenty of grey market L400s here in Australia, the Aussie Delica Owner's group on FB is a good source of info (been lurking long term, although my aspirations to one day own a home mean Delica ownership is probably a ways off for me).

One thing to be aware of with the turbo diesel in particular is it's not really designed for operating in hot climates for extended time - in Australia they are known for overheating/cracking the head. Upgrading the radiator and installing a watchdog for engine temp are some of the standard Aussie mods.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Nice score on the delica! Those l400s are a lot better to live with than the 300s, and a lwb means more room for activities.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Hell yes, Delicas and Surfs, oh my!

I'm back from Germany and had a fantastic time. Did not disappoint, even with our high expectations. We've also decided to hold off on moving, as Sprocket (our dog) is 14 in December. He did come with us, but it's a lot to travel with a dog, even if the lil guy is 10 pounds. We're going to let him live out his days here in Florida, comfortable and familiar. We're going to wait till after he's gone, then we'll make our move. Plus, without Sprocket, we have far more options across the board on how, and where, we would like to go. Have a lot more saved up in that time as well.

We had a new Audi A6 wagon (diesel hybrid) as our car for the 3 weeks we were there, bombing up and down the autobahn, country roads, and mountain passes. Filled it up twice, covered about 2500 total km.

Two major things.
First: Germany, its approach to driving, the Autobahn and the drivers on it have completely and utterly destroyed my ability to say anything good about driving in the United States. We are so very wrong, have everything backwards and can not even begin to compete with the glory that is the German Driving Experience™. Smooth pavement whenever you are, hard to even find a seam, let alone a pothole. Everyone sticks to the right, left lane only to pass. Signal usage almost 100% of the time (including roundabouts), fantastic lane discipline, and not a single person on their phone. We looked.
Second: That Audi wagon broke us. Comfortable, smooth, stretches of hundreds of miles in a single leap and not even a bit stiff in the legs. Because of this we are going to slightly betray our ~only JDM~ ethos we've held up until now.

We've bought a 2020 Volvo V60 T5 'Inscription', via Carvana. We'll have it next week and gently caress dealerships. 8500 miles, essentially brand new. 2020 is also the last year for the not-Cross Country wagon, though you can still get the Polestar. The JDMs we've had generally aren't for sustained highway driving (though the MR2 and Cresta are well-suited) and I might as well flex the last time we are able to here in the USA to buy a nice, clean, beautiful and pure wagon. I've said a few times that I'd never buy a new car ever again, guess I didn't know what I was talking about.

This also means that we're going to keep importing for the foreseeable future, and will keep Limerence open. I'd like to take us even further upmarket, so no more Jimnys, no keis, no sub-$15k cars. It isn't worth my time.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 30, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wagon looks great. And you were right about ko2s I have a new set for my white Delica on the way to replace virtually brand new geolanders (they will get stuck in something else). It is begging white letters out. $100 off $400 tires on eBay until Monday if anyone else looking

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That Volvo is poo poo hot and I'm jealous. I'd really like to make a trip to Germany some time. Any general tips or tricks?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Bro. I have a red 2019 VW Golf Alltrack wagon and your new car is absolutely what mine wants to be. That rules. And it's purely selfish to say but I'm glad you aren't closing the business, Ive really enjoyed watching the cars you've brought in and sold and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

First: Germany, its approach to driving, the Autobahn and the drivers on it have completely and utterly destroyed my ability to say anything good about driving in the United States. We are so very wrong, have everything backwards and can not even begin to compete with the glory that is the German Driving Experience™. Smooth pavement whenever you are, hard to even find a seam, let alone a pothole. Everyone sticks to the right, left lane only to pass. Signal usage almost 100% of the time (including roundabouts), fantastic lane discipline, and not a single person on their phone. We looked.

I think that was one of my biggest takeaways from Germany, we suck at driving in America. That and their bread is so much better.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Ethics_Gradient posted:

One thing to be aware of with the turbo diesel in particular is it's not really designed for operating in hot climates for extended time - in Australia they are known for overheating/cracking the head. Upgrading the radiator and installing a watchdog for engine temp are some of the standard Aussie mods.

Thanks for the tip! That prompted me to order a Glowshift 3-in-1 gauge that will monitor the turbo EGT, boost PSI and radiator temperature all in one 52mm round gauge.

Pictures of the Delica LONGBOY at port in Japan have hit my inbox. I'm exceptionally excited to receive this guy.

The rear bumper looks pretty rough but otherwise I think this one is exceptionally clean and only has minor issues to repair. There will be a tiny bit of rust mitigation but only cosmetic it appears. I'm considering chucking the old bumper in the trash and replacing it with one of these coastal offroad swing out bumper kits.

Every product they sell comes flat packed in a few boxes on a pallet so you tack it up, weld it and paint it. It keeps the cost way down plus it gives me an excuse to learn to weld. I might look for a class at a makerspace or community college in the meantime.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I absolutely LOVE those roofs and that is an exceptionally clean undercarriage :eyepoop:

I feel like Slow is Fast bought one of those rear bumpers for his 100 series Land Cruiser and welded it up and it turned out nice.

I think I am set on finding a KZH106 Super Custom Limited HiAce as my next victimpoor life choice. I want one with the power curtains and the ice box/tea pot thing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sold our BJ73 on Tuesday, sold the No. 15 blue Hilux today. Both with ridiculously heavy profits, but the blue Hilux takes the crown for the most expensive vehicle we've ever sold at $30,000 dollars (!!!). I'm also confident that I'll never see another Hilux like it ever again, especially not a Katsuzuka Construction Company No. 15 'Active Base' crane Hilux. Dunno when this bubble is going to pop, if ever as they don't make trucks like this anymore but goddamn glad we got in on it when we did.

In alternate-import news as it was built in Belgium and not Japan though the transmission WAS:

It's fantastic, far and away better than any other vehicle we've had, imported or otherwise. It isn't fair comparing a brand new car like this to any of our imports but CMON. We're getting older now so it's ok. Things that are important to me: I must have an opening roof of some kind, I use them all the time and miss them when they are gone, a good stereo system for blasting music, the wagon form factor and the fact that I can completely turn off anything I want, including lane assist, the projecting HUD, collision avoidance, and the center screen itself. I leave it all on of course but the fact that I can is important. Besides the center screen, turn that poo poo off all the time. The one thing it is missing is ventilated seats, especially in Florida but turns out that the red color is pretty important as well. We're just really smitten with this thing.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That Volvo is poo poo hot and I'm jealous. I'd really like to make a trip to Germany some time. Any general tips or tricks?

Wife and I had a very easy time about things. They'd German at us, we'd go "Sorry, do you speak English?" and they'd go "A little" and then proceed to fluently English at us. The only advice I could possible say is "Don't be a shithead" but that isn't specific to Germany :v: It's a lovely place and they were gracious hosts. And the ROADS :discourse:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Sold our BJ73 on Tuesday, sold the No. 15 blue Hilux today. Both with ridiculously heavy profits, but the blue Hilux takes the crown for the most expensive vehicle we've ever sold at $30,000 dollars (!!!). I'm also confident that I'll never see another Hilux like it ever again, especially not a Katsuzuka Construction Company No. 15 'Active Base' crane Hilux. Dunno when this bubble is going to pop, if ever as they don't make trucks like this anymore but goddamn glad we got in on it when we did.

In alternate-import news as it was built in Belgium and not Japan though the transmission WAS:

It's fantastic, far and away better than any other vehicle we've had, imported or otherwise. It isn't fair comparing a brand new car like this to any of our imports but CMON. We're getting older now so it's ok. Things that are important to me: I must have an opening roof of some kind, I use them all the time and miss them when they are gone, a good stereo system for blasting music, the wagon form factor and the fact that I can completely turn off anything I want, including lane assist, the projecting HUD, collision avoidance, and the center screen itself. I leave it all on of course but the fact that I can is important. Besides the center screen, turn that poo poo off all the time. The one thing it is missing is ventilated seats, especially in Florida but turns out that the red color is pretty important as well. We're just really smitten with this thing.

Wife and I had a very easy time about things. They'd German at us, we'd go "Sorry, do you speak English?" and they'd go "A little" and then proceed to fluently English at us. The only advice I could possible say is "Don't be a shithead" but that isn't specific to Germany :v: It's a lovely place and they were gracious hosts. And the ROADS :discourse:

Right on. That tracks with pretty much everything I've read and heard. I think I have just enough German to ask for bread and beer so I think I should be fine. The V90 might be peak longroof but the 60 is definitely a close second.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Picked up ta couple of white Toyotas last night.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, right front inner panel/core support slightly bent, small chips in windshield, studless tires, interior dirty, seats dirty/worn, cargo area dents/scratches, other dents/scratches/surface rust

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, valve cover area slightly oily, front end repairs ok, headlight bracket area/core support slightly bent, studless tires at 80% ok, spare ok, cargo area scratches/dents/surface rust, undercarriage surface rust light, body as is in diagram windshield chips small, drivers seat worn and stains, passenger seat stains, rear seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, steering wheel worn, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, hub lock ok, lights ok, mirrors ok, wipers ok

1996 Toyota Hilux YN107, 4x4, AC, 5 speed manual, 90,100~ miles (145k km). Slightly out of character as it has the fuel-injected 3YE gasoline engine rather than diesel, but a Hilux all the same. I expect to sell this for a bit less than the equally-equipped diesel but I also have no idea. Some people find diesel too scary or weird and welcome gasoline. Every Hilux rules.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, factory 16" wheels, steering wheel/shift knob worn, interior burns/dirty/tears, audio missing, wheels scratched, small chips in windshield, other dents/scratches/paint waves

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 186,000km, slight sludge in oil, coolant ok, engine slightly oily but not dripping, tires at 80% ok, spare ok, cargo area ok, undercarriage light surface rust only, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner faded, 2x burns in carpet, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, left mirror not working, windows ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

1996 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205, a very special car indeed. The important part with this guy is it is unmodified and includes its original wheels. Does have wear on the interior but I'll take that over some goofy ill-looking Momo steering wheel and single ratty red Recaro driver's seat and hosed-with suspension. Headunit is missing but who cares! 3rd gen 3S-GTE making 251 hp driving all four wheels through a 5 speed manual transmission :discourse: I think the exhaust might even be original, though I won't know for sure till its in our hands. 117,500 miles (189,000~ km) which is a bit on the higher side for things we'd normally go for, but nothing at all in context of an unmodified GT-Four.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Those are one of the unappreciated forgotten JDM heroes. Absolutely amazing car, nice find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That ST205 is tits! It is definitely unappreciated and is the car that Brian O’Connor should have been driving all along.