Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I found the Prawn with jump jets and the grapple was better for that area than the Cyclops but it's definitely an option.

I have the prawn with jump jets and the grabby/punchy arm in the hold of the cyclops. I could put the grapple arm on but I got tired of getting out to pick things up. Debating as to whether I want to move my base in the Lost River to the volcano or just make another one. Probably just going to make a scanner/food outpost with a power cell charger and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gonna put this in spoilers the Lava Zone is pretty close to the end of the game and you only really need to go down from the Lost River once or twice

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been playing Super Robot Wars V, amd while I've been enjoying it, the one thing that drags it down is the side objectives that involve killing a boss that flees below a certain HP value. I've done the mission several times now because either a weak attack meant to whittle him down to just above the threshold crits, and the boss fucks off, or my final attack falls just a hundred or so HP short of killing (out of 18,000+ HP). It's infuriating because, while it's not a long mission, i still spend more time skipping cutscenes than I do playing the scenario every time I retry it.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Frank Frank posted:

Stuck in subnautica again. Packed my poo poo and moved everything down to the Lost River. My nextdoor neighbor is a super pissed off ghost leviathan baby who is not happy i have taken up residence. No idea what to try and do next. I tried the volcano zone nearby which turned out to be a mistake (slappy sea dragon would not leave me the gently caress alone). I still don’t have the sonar or thermal reactor mods for the cyclops and that thing handles like a 1979 Buick so “running away” isn’t a thing anymore especially since I can’t run around in my seamoth down there.

There's a few spots in the Lost River that the ghost boys don't go near, making a base there is usually a good idea. I had one near some thermal vents with a moonpool and sensor room just for resource gathering. And as for getting past the dragons? Silent Running is your best friend. It's slow but you need to be pretty drat close for them to see you. Having some distraction beacons loaded can help too, since if they detect you you can just drop one and go full speed for a few seconds until you're clear of it and go silent again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm playing back 4 blood and I'd like to say its fun with my bros but a few nights end with someone just getting sick of it. You are constantly getting hit, all the time, because the game is throwing "special" zombies at you, constantly. Multiples at once. I don't mean a spitter and an exploder, but throwing 3 spitters and 2 bloaters, also a few tallboys. And if there manages to be a moment with no specials on screen it will just spawn a zombie on your back. The amount of times I've been hit from behind, turn around and kill the zombie, turn back around just to start getting hit from behind again is far too many.

This is a real pain in the rear end because of the trauma system, where all these little small hits you get start adding more and more trauma which you cannot heal until you happen to come across a medical cabinet. And seeing that some cards and some characters have bonuses that are removed when you take any amount of damage? Have fun with that.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I see Far Cry 6 continues the series tradition of weightless feeling cars that can't turn for poo poo and glide in to every single obstacle near you. Whenever these games put you on a timer you're hosed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

I'm playing back 4 blood and I'd like to say its fun with my bros but a few nights end with someone just getting sick of it. You are constantly getting hit, all the time, because the game is throwing "special" zombies at you, constantly. Multiples at once. I don't mean a spitter and an exploder, but throwing 3 spitters and 2 bloaters, also a few tallboys. And if there manages to be a moment with no specials on screen it will just spawn a zombie on your back. The amount of times I've been hit from behind, turn around and kill the zombie, turn back around just to start getting hit from behind again is far too many.

This is a real pain in the rear end because of the trauma system, where all these little small hits you get start adding more and more trauma which you cannot heal until you happen to come across a medical cabinet. And seeing that some cards and some characters have bonuses that are removed when you take any amount of damage? Have fun with that.

Also why in the gently caress does it have a lives system. Last game to bring that poo poo back that gave me whiplash.like this was Doom Eternal.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gonna put this in spoilers the Lava Zone is pretty close to the end of the game and you only really need to go down from the Lost River once or twice

Yeah I figured that out AFTER I painstakingly lugged enough materials down there to set up a suicidal base on the side of that massive structure with the thermal plant inside . Just did that tonight actually. Then following unusually precise directions I received from that location, I was able to find the Warp hub/sea emperor prison after only being chewed on by those big crocodile monsters once or twice.

What’s funny is that the game really doesn’t do cutscenes so when the sea emperor came crawling out to “greet” me, I nearly had a heart attack.

Took me a minute to figure out how to go about the end-game but then I figured out what the warp gates are for so now al I have to do is run back to my lava zone base, fabricate the hatching enzymes and then go back down. Rest should be pretty easy - return trip to enormous space gun island and then build my means of escape and leave.

Never did find the stillsuit (made pointless once you find boba trees) or the other half to the nuclear reactor blueprint but I don’t think I need them.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Nov 3, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Been playing Prey and something has been nagging at me about it. Like there hasn't been one single "aha, this is the thing dragging it down" moment, but there's this pervasive meh-ness about the game. I think, given my biases, that a lot of it comes down to the narrative being pretty weak. Sure, Bioshock was constructed out of a series of excuse plot chunks over and over, but you still got memorable moments out of them. Prey uses the same exact tricks to enforce a linear story progression but without any of the punch. Alex is not a compelling antagonist, January is just kind of whatever, and the closest thing to a Sander Cohen is the Chef guy and he just seems like a random nut at the moment.

The game's also all around unpolished. Lots of janky, unpleasant moments. Like the first time I took the elevator down from the arboretum back to the lobby only for there to be a swarm of enemies patrolling in front of it, already half-aggroed through the glass. But also for no particular reason I couldn't just press the button to go right back up and also the elevator locks you out of everything but basic movement controls I guess to prevent you from doing something funky, so the only option was to exit out into danger. But then after I dealt with that nonsense and finally did go back up there was a stupid scripted jump scare moment where it spawns a phantom in there with you and you have five seconds of normal gameplay before it locks your controls again and you finish riding back up. Like wha??

Similar thing happened with my first nightmare. Unavoidable encounter at the top of a grav shaft, leading to me hauling rear end across the map and cowering behind a random prop and by dumb luck getting its AI stuck...which ultimately meant sitting there with a thumb up my rear end for the full countdown timer. Then during the heavily scripted survivor hold-out section I get a nightmare alert and January finally says "yo this is your fault for getting hopped up on alien juice" except that whole area is completely locked down. I have no idea if it even properly spawned in and even if it did it straight-up couldn't reach me either way.

Also in a game all about squeezing into places you shouldn't be, I get caught on the lip of maintenance tunnel entrances waaaaay too often. There's some kind of automated prone state that will super duck you under objects, but it's very spotty and only kicks in when it feels like it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Nov 3, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arkane's writing has never really been a strongpoint for me. Across all their games I think they tend to overinvest in plot and worldbuilding at the cost of interesting characters. There's a universal sort of roteness to their dialogue that's like "why am I even having this conversation when I know exactly how it's going to go already." Allegedly Deathloop improves on that somewhat.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John Murdoch posted:

The game's also all around unpolished. Lots of janky, unpleasant moments. Like the first time I took the elevator down from the arboretum back to the lobby only for there to be a swarm of enemies patrolling in front of it, already half-aggroed through the glass. But also for no particular reason I couldn't just press the button to go right back up and also the elevator locks you out of everything but basic movement controls I guess to prevent you from doing something funky, so the only option was to exit out into danger. But then after I dealt with that nonsense and finally did go back up there was a stupid scripted jump scare moment where it spawns a phantom in there with you and you have five seconds of normal gameplay before it locks your controls again and you finish riding back up. Like wha??

On a NoClip documentary about Prey they (Arkane, the devs) mention the challenges of putting that elevator in the game. It feels off, because they indeed limit you as a player so you can't break that sequence. You get teleported to a second elevator for the combat segment.

Edit: Timestamped at 13:15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXLxaKrcFZ0&t=795s

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Nov 3, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Arkane's writing has never really been a strongpoint for me. Across all their games I think they tend to overinvest in plot and worldbuilding at the cost of interesting characters. There's a universal sort of roteness to their dialogue that's like "why am I even having this conversation when I know exactly how it's going to go already." Allegedly Deathloop improves on that somewhat.

Not somewhat, massively

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Further on Back 4 Blood, your starting "cards" are so embarrassingly underpowered compared to the cards you can unlock as you play and the 4 additional characters you can only unlock by beating like 1/3rd the game handicaps you in character select quite a lot.

Honestly the card system in general is just overly complicated loadout busy work. I really don't have anything positive to say about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space is my favorite game ever but boy leapers sure are aggressive in 2. You can't really see them leap from things because they jump right to the ground and dinosaur sprint at you as soon as they spawn. This is a bit of a problem because they usually spawn in duos and with other enemies, but they ignore their own purpose in combat which is to jump OVER them, not run through them. They are too chunky to be ground fodder but are so desperate and excited to become it!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Nov 3, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeeeah. Maybe that's also part of why I never quite gelled with Dishonored. It's strange because I wouldn't say that game lacks interesting characters, but looking back on it they're all very isolated from the actual plot.

Mierenneuker posted:

On a NoClip documentary about Prey they (Arkane, the devs) mention the challenges of putting that elevator in the game. It feels off, because they indeed limit you as a player so you can't break that sequence. You get teleported to a second elevator for the combat segment.

Edit: Timestamped at 13:15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXLxaKrcFZ0&t=795s

Huh. Given how the game is already chockablock with loading screen transition doors and other fakery, I question how valuable it was to go to all that effort.

Also another complaint I forgot to mention: The jumping and climbing can be so hosed. I think it's the booster pack that really janks them up but even without it sometimes you just don't mantle the gloo blob because gently caress you. This wouldn't be a big deal if they hadn't explicitly hidden all sorts of things behind fiddly platforming exercises.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I was only attacked once in the elevator. The black screen transition was so long it was obvious what was happening, and all they did was spawn a single first tier enemy half a foot away from my shotgun.

I also really disliked the enemy design. They were super boring mostly goopy humanoids that came in normal, spicy hot, and zappy blue variants.

I also definitely only left the station when there was a gun to my head. Having to slowly fly around the massive outside area was neither fun nor profitable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Huh, I thought flying around outside was a highlight, it just needed a better waypointing system to keep me on track a bit more.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh jeez, yeah. Some of the smaller zero-G environments are tolerable, and some of the broader exterior exploration isn't totally awful, but actually properly navigating around the station via the exterior is a complete nightmare and the waypoints are all hosed because side quest waypoints overlap and overwrite the ones saying which airlock or breach area it is and sometimes they just don't say what they are if you're too far away I guess?

The first time you're forced to space walk was actually where I originally put the game down (granted, I was also mainly making it sure it ran well on my then computer). On the one hand, my diligent exploration got me the Q-beam waaaay earlier on compared to my current playthrough where I didn't find one until the GUTS. On the other hand, I immediately blundered into a Technopath which completely destroyed me and was an awful experience because they zap your thrusters dead and gently caress with your mobility in a way no other enemy really does. I was also probably irradiated by cystoids too, because there's never not a million of those all over the place.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Barudak posted:

Further on Back 4 Blood, your starting "cards" are so embarrassingly underpowered compared to the cards you can unlock as you play and the 4 additional characters you can only unlock by beating like 1/3rd the game handicaps you in character select quite a lot.

Honestly the card system in general is just overly complicated loadout busy work. I really don't have anything positive to say about it.
Plus I wish you didn't have to scroll through 12+ pages to see them all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha yeah the game gave me a loading screen tip once that was like "Now that you've unlocked a lot of areas try using the exterior to navigate TALOS I faster!" and I was like my friend that will absolutely not be any faster

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nah, I never went out there except for plot reasons, using it for travel just seemed silly. I just liked the movement feel.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I remember getting utterly lost outside the station during the latter half of the game for some reason. It was super annoying because Talos is big, really big.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Been playing Prey and something has been nagging at me about it. Like there hasn't been one single "aha, this is the thing dragging it down" moment, but there's this pervasive meh-ness about the game. I think, given my biases, that a lot of it comes down to the narrative being pretty weak. Sure, Bioshock was constructed out of a series of excuse plot chunks over and over, but you still got memorable moments out of them. Prey uses the same exact tricks to enforce a linear story progression but without any of the punch. Alex is not a compelling antagonist, January is just kind of whatever, and the closest thing to a Sander Cohen is the Chef guy and he just seems like a random nut at the moment.

Similar thing happened with my first nightmare. Unavoidable encounter at the top of a grav shaft, leading to me hauling rear end across the map and cowering behind a random prop and by dumb luck getting its AI stuck...which ultimately meant sitting there with a thumb up my rear end for the full countdown timer. Then during the heavily scripted survivor hold-out section I get a nightmare alert and January finally says "yo this is your fault for getting hopped up on alien juice" except that whole area is completely locked down. I have no idea if it even properly spawned in and even if it did it straight-up couldn't reach me either way.

Also in a game all about squeezing into places you shouldn't be, I get caught on the lip of maintenance tunnel entrances waaaaay too often. There's some kind of automated prone state that will super duck you under objects, but it's very spotty and only kicks in when it feels like it.

The thing dragging Prey down is the main character being named Tommy, way too Rugrats.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't know 100% that this isn't a me thing, but I've played on both PS4 & 5 and using the pause button to access Yakuza 0's inventory/etc screen consistently feels laggy, like you have to hold the button a bit longer than in any other game. It took me like 8 chapters to realize you could heal in combat because I tried it a few times and the screen just never showed up, so I just gave up on it :suicide:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was really sad that the millers are just kingdom comes thieves guild and I couldn't grind wheat into flour and bake it. The whole game is screaming out for a cooking skill and system. That and an auto walk key

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Phasmophobia is just really boring.

I'm playing with my friends who are level ~40 and each of my 10 games have followed this same pattern

1. We wander around for 15 minutes (even on the smaller maps) unable to find the ghost
2. Someone gets lucky and finds where the ghost is, the next 7 minutes are spent ferrying in the 15 different items you need to determine the ghost type.
3. About 15 more minutes of loving around with things and crouching behind a door hoping the ghost doesn't decide to kill you.
3a. If you get killed by the ghost enjoy being able to do nothing. The spectator still has to run everywhere and they move at the speed of a player.
4. Two or more of us get picked off by the ghost, the remaining survivors were only able to collect two clues so they have to guess between three ghost types.
5. We get the guess wrong and get like 15 bucks for the whole mission.

I'm a massive baby when it comes to horror games, but the sheer boredom I feel while playing this game far outweighs any fear I feel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories is the remake of the GBA game that's packaged in with basically every bundle version of the series after the PS2 era, essentially porting over the game's story, map and gameplay mechanics into KH1's engine (or possibly KH2's engine with KH1 gameplay, it's hard to tell). And it's shockingly good! It might age better than the actual PS2 Kingdom Hearts games, because it stumbled rear end-backwards into being exactly the sort of roguelike experience that you see in a lot of modern successful indie games. It's not a big step between it and Hades, which is both very weird, and very welcoming.

...until you fight a boss. The bosses all fit into one of three categories, all of which you can immediately sense because they all feel completely different from each other, and two of those three categories really suck.
1. The bosses recycled from KH1. These are basically fine, since you've got most of the same toolkit as KH1 just with different limitations on them. Some actually end up way easier, like Dragon Maleficent.
2. The bosses recycled from KH2, either the basegame like Axel or the bonus fights from Final Mix. These start bringing some problems, because while the game engine is KH2's, it lacks the movement, reaction and defensive options of KH2. Which inevitably means you get knocked around really hard, since you're fighting boss fights designed as if you're supposed to be much faster than you are.
3. The entirely original bosses. These are basically only right at the end, but actually feel even worse, because they're trying to replicate attack patterns made for an entirely different game. This leads to camera problems; the gameplay of GBA CoM was essentially a sidescrolling beat-em-up with card mechanics, so they could reasonably fit it all on the one screen. But because the remake is in the PS2 KH engine, it's got a behind-the-back camera (which is way closer to Sora than I remember), so a lot of the bigger attacks actually end up attacking you from behind the camera.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Nov 4, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing the Chains of Memories remake just made me want to play the original, something I don't think over ever felt in any other remake.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

moosecow333 posted:

Phasmophobia is just really boring.

I'm playing with my friends who are level ~40 and each of my 10 games have followed this same pattern

1. We wander around for 15 minutes (even on the smaller maps) unable to find the ghost
2. Someone gets lucky and finds where the ghost is, the next 7 minutes are spent ferrying in the 15 different items you need to determine the ghost type.
3. About 15 more minutes of loving around with things and crouching behind a door hoping the ghost doesn't decide to kill you.
3a. If you get killed by the ghost enjoy being able to do nothing. The spectator still has to run everywhere and they move at the speed of a player.
4. Two or more of us get picked off by the ghost, the remaining survivors were only able to collect two clues so they have to guess between three ghost types.
5. We get the guess wrong and get like 15 bucks for the whole mission.

I'm a massive baby when it comes to horror games, but the sheer boredom I feel while playing this game far outweighs any fear I feel.

I love Phasmo, but I feel like the game is being balanced for people keep up with all latest exploits and discoveries from streamers and reddit. It seems like it would be frustrating to play as a new player or someone who doesn't do extensive research after each patch. Right now, it seems the biggest trick to finding the ghost is to listen for it to interact by opening doors, knocking down cups, or something like that. I've been finding ghosts super fast lately by just running to where I think I head a noise and pointing an EMF at it.

There are some pretty consistent ways to avoid getting killed. Sometimes you don't even have to hide if you're good at running in circles. But sometimes you just get unlucky and the ghost either spawns in a weird place or beelines towards your hiding spot for no reason.

Being dead is super boring, though. If I'm playing with strangers, I just bail on the game. If they set up motion sensors far away from the ghost, you can trigger them and make the remaining players think the ghost moved over there.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Morpheus posted:

Playing the Chains of Memories remake just made me want to play the original, something I don't think over ever felt in any other remake.

Majora's Mask on the 3DS did this to me. I hit the Great Bay and bounced hard. They made some weird changes to the game, but making anything other than a doggy paddle as a Zora eat through your magic bar was an all-time bad idea.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I beat Yakuza 0 and loved it, but something that started to bug me was that the lock-on system in combat is more like the vaguest idea of thinking about locking on to someone. It doesn't matter too much for a lot of the game, but by the endgame you're getting a lot of gun-carrying enemies mixed in, who you absolutely want to take out first. The problem is, now they're often mixed in mobs of a dozen other melee dudes, and it feels there's not a good way to consistently target them so you're constantly struggling against the "recover from gunshot" QTE while you're fruitlessly trying to take them out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Boy, those last 1-2 hours of Prey are just a mess pacing-wise. I mean, I guess it is the climax but still. Dahl is the only character in the game with a personality and then you deal with his poo poo in about five seconds. :geno: The endless military operators is a potentially interesting idea but fails to meaningfully shake things up, especially when the player is at the peak of their power, and instead just ends up being repetitive. Overall I wish there had been more going on there. Feels like bare minimum he could've been more explicitly a third "faction" to align with in some fashion.

As for the ending, I already knew about it. Even if I didn't, literally minutes after I decide to spoil myself early I got one of those quick flashes and I 100% would've been able to accurately call it on my own. Hell, I had a pretty good idea of it before even playing the game just by hearing there was a contentious twist in the story.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I beat Yakuza 0 and loved it, but something that started to bug me was that the lock-on system in combat is more like the vaguest idea of thinking about locking on to someone. It doesn't matter too much for a lot of the game, but by the endgame you're getting a lot of gun-carrying enemies mixed in, who you absolutely want to take out first. The problem is, now they're often mixed in mobs of a dozen other melee dudes, and it feels there's not a good way to consistently target them so you're constantly struggling against the "recover from gunshot" QTE while you're fruitlessly trying to take them out.

Yakuza 4 similarly had an end-boss with like 10 gun-mooks spawning in and it was hell.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, I’m playing that new Taro game Voice of Cards and the game is kinda quaint, it’s not setting the world on fire but it’s a solid enough little budget JRPG that’s basically “what if Yoko Taro’s crew did a more normal game” and that’s fine. Two things are a drag though:

- there’s no combat speedup option, I definitely feel like it’s as ubiquitous to conventional turn-based combat as dual audio in Japanese games at this point cause even the remaster of Dragon Quest XI has it iirc. But it is a Yoko Taro budget game so idk what I expected.

- the encounter rate is about twice as high as it needs to be for pretty simple “mash X to win, maybe pick crowd control options to win faster” combat which is kind of a drag along with the first issue.

Overall it’s okay if you know you’re just getting a mostly standard game with some dry humor and weirdass possible terrifying lore dumps out of nowhere.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Disco Elysium: The talk with the union leader almost caused me to end the game. He wants you to sit down. Okay. But wait! The chair is so uncomfortable that it makes you lose health. Okay, I will opt to keep standing. But the union leader refuses to talk to you before you sit down. Okay, I use one experience point into pain endurance. The chair doesn't hurt me. Then there's an impossible speech check and he starts to talk about your lost gun. This causes you to lose control and eventually a game over. .Because I'm locked in with him I can't go to the Frittte and buy magnesium. Okay. I try again. I take some Pyrholidon, use a point on pain endurance once again and refuse his check. I get a game over again. Finally I try again and uses Pyrholidon and put points into volition. Finally I'm able to get through the conversation without having a mental breakdown. I then talk to Measurehead and agrees to guard the gate while he takes down the body. This causes a scab to yell at me. Yet again I have a mental breakdown and it's game over! Luckily I'm not locked in and can buy some magnesium. Finally I talk to Cuno again and manages to talk myself into having yet another mental breakdown. Fun times!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I picked up Inscryption after hearing about how Act 1 is, and it's pretty fun. Requires a decent amount of luck to get through, but the right combination (Infinite squirrels is hilarious) means you can basically cruise to the end, even if you don't get any of the pre-final boss bonuses.

That being said, in the part that comes after with the video clips... the way he opens packs causes me so much pain, especially when he talks about chasing rares. I know some card games make their packs to open that way, but it still bugs me to no end from a lifetime of just pulling the top open.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Alhazred posted:

Disco Elysium: The talk with the union leader almost caused me to end the game. He wants you to sit down. Okay. But wait! The chair is so uncomfortable that it makes you lose health. Okay, I will opt to keep standing. But the union leader refuses to talk to you before you sit down. Okay, I use one experience point into pain endurance. The chair doesn't hurt me. Then there's an impossible speech check and he starts to talk about your lost gun. This causes you to lose control and eventually a game over. .Because I'm locked in with him I can't go to the Frittte and buy magnesium. Okay. I try again. I take some Pyrholidon, use a point on pain endurance once again and refuse his check. I get a game over again. Finally I try again and uses Pyrholidon and put points into volition. Finally I'm able to get through the conversation without having a mental breakdown. I then talk to Measurehead and agrees to guard the gate while he takes down the body. This causes a scab to yell at me. Yet again I have a mental breakdown and it's game over! Luckily I'm not locked in and can buy some magnesium. Finally I talk to Cuno again and manages to talk myself into having yet another mental breakdown. Fun times!

Yeah better stock up before each dungeon when you go with the glass cannon build. And make sure to stack all your buffs.

Vic has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Nov 6, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh poor ol' Harry DuBois, thought of ants and died.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Yakuza 4 similarly had an end-boss with like 10 gun-mooks spawning in and it was hell.

I just finished this. The final boss has a gun and runs away from you, and he has a huge posse of knife dudes with huge health bars. When you go after the gun boss, they all dogpile you and stunlock you with knives. If you keep your distance, he plonks away at your health with his gun.

I may have missed an upgrade that lets you parry knife attacks (not sure if this is a thing or not), so maybe it was my own fault.

Incredibly painful end to my favorite yakuza game so far. But still miles better than combat in 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm onto Yakuza Kiwami now (the remake of the first game), and I've grown to enjoy running around the map on foot most of the time. But there's one location that's an exception (mild spoiler) - you eventually get to an underground red light district that's associated with an information broker you end up working with. The problem is, you have to walk through two map areas outside the main map and enter a third one just to talk to that person. Fine the first time it's introduced, but they just called me back for a 90 second cutscene that amounted to "go do this for me" that I had to hike all the way in and then back out for. It'd be really nice to have a fast travel point for somewhere that far out of the way.