Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

PHUO: Politics should stay in D&D and Cspam

Very much this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Grouchio posted:

o Which realistically is what it has always been.

Realism is just another word for laying down and waiting to die.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Do you just mean a normal multilane roundabout like this, or something else?

Tiggum, that's not normal, that's foreign

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Popular opinion: I think I've posted way too much. Think I may leave it a month or two to come back because I want to get my post count below 4 per day.

Lots of love everyone, keep safe!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That ain't popular homie.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Popular opinion: I think I've posted way too much. Think I may leave it a month or two to come back because I want to get my post count below 4 per day.

Lots of love everyone, keep safe!

personally, i think your posting is totally fine at the level it is right now; however, if you feel like you need to take a break for any reason that's entirely fine too!

phuo: self-deprecating humour - particularly about one's creative output (be it photography, music, art, film, writing, posting, whatever) - is generally fine and shouldn't necessarily be treated as a "call for help" or an invitation to lecture about the virtues of self-positivity and the power of words and yadda yadda.

i'd even go as far as to say that maintaining a certain level of irreverence is entirely healthy and should be strived for

nurmie has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Nov 6, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

In what way? I don't understand what the issue is? I go through that roundabout I posted all the time and it's always seemed pretty obvious to me what you're supposed to do. You use whichever lane is appropriate for the direction you're trying to go, just like you do on any multilane road.

In theory, yes, but in practice you have people wanting to go right but are in the left/inner lane and just cut you off to get out, or just cruises in the outer lane the whole way through etc. Maybe in Australia everyone just knows how to use them, but there's one right before I get to work and whenever there are other cars in it I feel like it's 50/50 that everyone does what they're supposed to.

I know there's a reason to have those things but honestly I'd rather just have a nice old fashioned traffic light intersection, even knowing it would probably make traffic a lot worse.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gaius Marius posted:

PHUO: Politics should stay in D&D and Cspam

only unpopular because then there are still 2 politics forums, 2 more than there should be imho

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yes you should. In fact it's very common.

You shouldn't be able to turn left on a road with a speed limit higher than 30 mph unless it has a dedicated turn lane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Muscle Tracer posted:

only unpopular because then there are still 2 politics forums, 2 more than there should be imho

TMR/TGRS still exists, but there is precisely one thread in there that has gotten a post so far this month.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Platystemon posted:

TMR/TGRS still exists, but there is precisely one thread in there that has gotten a post so far this month.

My PHUO is that it's really weird that we have a special forum for black people.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

nurmie posted:

phuo: self-deprecating humour - particularly about one's creative output (be it photography, music, art, film, writing, posting, whatever) - is generally fine and shouldn't necessarily be treated as a "call for help" or an invitation to lecture about the virtues of self-positivity and the power of words and yadda yadda.

i'd even go as far as to say that maintaining a certain level of irreverence is entirely healthy and should be strived for

I don't think posters here are opposed to self-deprecating humor, after all Rodney Dangerfield is often considered to be one of the GOATs of comedy, and his act is almost exclusively self-deprecating humor.

I think they are commenting on the Popular Goon Tendency to constantly put their insecurities about themselves on public display. It's not really done for the benefit of other readers and is probably mostly done for therapeutic reasons. It really often isn't very funny IMO and it just makes other readers in the thread uncomfortable.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

silence_kit posted:

I don't think posters here are opposed to self-deprecating humor, after all Rodney Dangerfield is often considered to be one of the GOATs of comedy, and his act is almost exclusively self-deprecating humor.

I think they are commenting on the Popular Goon Tendency to constantly put their insecurities about themselves on public display. It's not really done for the benefit of other readers and is probably mostly done for therapeutic reasons. It really often isn't very funny IMO and it just makes other readers in the thread uncomfortable.

That's like half of the posts on SA. :confuoot: :catte: :catte:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

silence_kit posted:

yeah this anti-self-deprecation thing is not really all that common among goons, but it does occur in other internet spaces - this is anecdotal of course, but i've seen it crop up on various smaller subreddits, certain twitter circles and discord servers, and around tumblr too, usually as a part of some self-positivity, be-kind-to-yourself kind of sentiment. which is fine and all, but it can get a bit preachy imo

that said, everything is good in moderation, and if someone goes "haha i suck lmao" in every post that can get a bit too much (also lets not forget about the "humour" part in "self-deprecating humour")

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm not the biggest fan of people insulting themselves for any reason except maybe if they are getting paid to do so like a professional comedian might

You are your only cheerleader and only true ally you will ever have. The world will insult you enough; no need to join in to make other people laugh

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

You are your only cheerleader and only true ally you will ever have.

oh god

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Just because it sounds like a commemorative plate doesn't mean it's not true, friend

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of people insulting themselves for any reason except maybe if they are getting paid to do so like a professional comedian might

You are your only cheerleader and only true ally you will ever have. The world will insult you enough; no need to join in to make other people laugh

This is a really depressing worldview. My mom is my ally, my girlfriend is my ally, my cats are my ally even as they poop in my home. They root for me even when I'm not and vice versa.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

idk, imo if done right it feels more like friendly banter with oneself rather than insulting one's oNlY tRuE aLlY (:v:)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is a really depressing worldview. My mom is my ally, my girlfriend is my ally, my cats are my ally even as they poop in my home. They root for me even when I'm not and vice versa.

I'll give you your mom, but you know you're wrong about the rest. You're telling me your girlfriend and your cats are out there hyping you up, marketing your accomplishments, and projecting a positive image of you? They're showing up to work and your social gatherings and in your social feed making sure you are seen as a competent and positive person? All of them will make decisions that benefit you first in all cases, even if it is not the best for them?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

nurmie posted:

yeah this anti-self-deprecation thing is not really all that common among goons, but it does occur in other internet spaces - this is anecdotal of course, but i've seen it crop up on various smaller subreddits, certain twitter circles and discord servers, and around tumblr too, usually as a part of some self-positivity, be-kind-to-yourself kind of sentiment. which is fine and all, but it can get a bit preachy imo

that said, everything is good in moderation, and if someone goes "haha i suck lmao" in every post that can get a bit too much (also lets not forget about the "humour" part in "self-deprecating humour")

Oh, I thought your post was referencing the last time this subject came up in this thread. Yeah, I agree. I can see how that kind of talk could be obnoxious.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it's a true as hell worldview and perfectly explains why self-deprecating humor that isn't used for face-management is just sad and tedious

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not depressing, but it is obnoxious, self-aggrandizing bullshit

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

it's a true as hell worldview and perfectly explains why self-deprecating humor that isn't used for face-management is just sad and tedious

username / post combo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

silence_kit posted:

It's not depressing, but it is obnoxious, self-aggrandizing bullshit

Just because a truth makes sadbrains uncomfortable doesn't mean it's bullshit friend

Oh oops I better not be self-aggrandizing, here is some great banter; Lmao I'm fat and got depression and I'm bad at everything and I also have adhd probably

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
^^ yeah exactly it just comes across as pathetic and sad

telling people to stick up for themselves rather than the alternative is self-aggrandizing bullshit? That is some potent idealogy

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Nov 6, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

Just because a truth makes sadbrains uncomfortable doesn't mean it's bullshit friend

You can have a healthy, positive self-esteem without having to talk like that.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Oh oops I better not be self-aggrandizing, here is some great banter; Lmao I'm fat and got depression and I'm bad at everything and I also have adhd probably

You can also use self-deprecating humor without having to talk like that. A lot of goons DO have trouble with this though.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

silence_kit posted:

You can have a healthy, positive self-esteem without having to talk like that.

You can also use self-deprecating humor without having to talk like that. A lot of goons DO have trouble with this though.

the original post was referring to people insulting themselves not "self-deprecating humor". I brought up the concept as an example of how insulting yourself is ineffective

vvv and yet you were the one who said they were your cheerleaders (which you had intentionally reframed into "allies")?

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Nov 6, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'll give you your mom, but you know you're wrong about the rest. You're telling me your girlfriend and your cats are out there hyping you up, marketing your accomplishments, and projecting a positive image of you? They're showing up to work and your social gatherings and in your social feed making sure you are seen as a competent and positive person? All of them will make decisions that benefit you first in all cases, even if it is not the best for them?

No? And I don't want that? My cats screech at me for breakfast and knead me for pets. My girlfriend watches shows with me and sometimes brings burritos home. That's what I'm looking for and it's all I need. I'm looking for comfy not a hype squad.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No? And I don't want that? My cats screech at me for breakfast and knead me for pets. My girlfriend watches shows with me and sometimes brings burritos home. That's what I'm looking for and it's all I need. I'm looking for comfy not a hype squad.

Yeah, that is what I described though. It's not a depressing world view, it is the world exactly as it exists, which I never said was a bad thing. Just that realistically you are the only option for a hype squad (unless you are rich and can afford a pr person I guess)

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Why do I need a hype squad? I got a girlfriend who I’ve loved for years, friends and family that love me, and a decent job that pays me more than I need to live.

If I wanna call myself fat or tell people I couldn’t draw to save my life, then I feel comfortable doing that.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Robobot posted:

Why do I need a hype squad? I got a girlfriend who I’ve loved for years, friends and family that love me, and a decent job that pays me more than I need to live.

If I wanna call myself fat or tell people I couldn’t draw to save my life, then I feel comfortable doing that.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Both of you have completely lost track of what the conversation was, if you even understood it to begin with.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Probably very likely. I am quite high. Also I just accidentally put a bag of peppermint tea into my hot chocolate, and let me tell you it could not have been a happier mistake.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Robobot posted:

Probably very likely. I am quite high. Also I just accidentally put a bag of peppermint tea into my hot chocolate, and let me tell you it could not have been a happier mistake.

That sounds pretty amazing tbh

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Crespolini posted:

Both of you have completely lost track of what the conversation was, if you even understood it to begin with.

I think I understood the original PHUO:

Be less like episode 1-8 shinji ikari and be more like Skinner at the end of Empty Cans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Q8UhrHI_g&t=34s

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really don't enjoy depressing fuckers tbh and no, I'm way too stupid to reread the thread.

People who get smug about being miserable like it's the only correct way to view the world are loving insufferable.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really don't enjoy depressing fuckers tbh and no, I'm way too stupid to reread the thread.
little surprise here weren't you the one who said you should dump friends when their depression doesn't get better

edit: here it is

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not anyone who's not a licensed therapist's job to take care of the terminally miserable. Do they deserve help? Sure.

Should a rando be required to deal with their friends' depression? Hell no. That helps no one.

are things are not going so hot in the skinnerbox subforum

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Nov 6, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
jesus loving christ sorry i started this whole conversation and i can't believe i'm actually gonna type these words but:

PULL UP THREAD, PULL UP

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And this is just allies. I've got plenty of cheerleaders among family, close friends, even a bunch of colleagues and friendly acquaintances. But then again, I believe in that possibility, which is probably a big part of why I've been able to develop such a network of friends and supporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
now for a topic that is a little less "real"

PHUO: Movies as a storytelling medium are well on their way out, and the best films are basically episodes of a miniseries already anyways