Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

My take as someone who plays mostly standard at diamond and legendary:

On the positives:

Standard is varied, you can hit legend as almost any class at the moment which a great change from the days of there only being 3 meta archetypes in a rock paper scissors.

There are no ultra long games that take 30 mins.

On the negatives:

Some games against questline players (esp mage) feel dull as they're pretty much just playing their game plan regardless of what you do. There's limited counterplay and the games come down to who gets good draw.

The mini set doesn't have much interesting in it.

Mercenaries seems bad to me.

Overall I don't think the game is as fun as say 12 months ago (I loved all the dragon stuff, galakronds, highlander decks), maybe that's just me having played that much more of it. I'd be quite keen for them to drop the next expansion ASAP to mix it all up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
stopped playing mercenaries after the first week because it’s tedious and boring

most fun right now for me is in duels and casual meme decks

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Cry Havoc posted:

stopped playing mercenaries after the first week because it’s tedious and boring
I'm still clearing the dailies but once you've cleared the top of the PvE content I don't really see why you'd seriously grind at it at this point. Maybe if the excess coins for capped heroes became Mercenaries version of Arcane Dust or something but otherwise...

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I have mixed feelings about the meta. It seems pretty fun as long as you don't run into Quest Mage. Quest Warlock and Quest Shaman were also bad for awhile but it seems to have gotten reasonably nerfed.

I think being able to ban a class would go a long way. There would still be annoying decks, but a single commonly used deck that acts as a hard counter wouldn't completely shut down your day.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Feels like they listened to the players not wanting long 15+ turns matches, so now every class has a top deck that wins under 10 turns. With some finishing on turn 8. Issue as some have said is it's just drawing through your own deck quickly and effectively no counter play happening.

It's almost comical how every minion card seen in standard is either draw/discover/reduce cost. Few legendary cards are outliners.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm pushing 7000 rating in Mercenaries PvP and I don't get matched vs bots anymore :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

L0cke17 posted:

Any game mode you queue into you're gonna have an enjoyable time.
This comment reminded me that Classic is a mode that exists.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

In Battlegrounds, Tarecgosa doesn't get to keep the Diablo buffs for some reason. Boo.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm definitely missing something from the Pirate Questline Warrior, I've lost 8 games in a row, all to mages and other warriors. I've gotten to plat before, but something isn't clicking with this warrior. I mean, platy on curve until you can finish your quest right?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

obi_ant posted:

I'm definitely missing something from the Pirate Questline Warrior, I've lost 8 games in a row, all to mages and other warriors. I've gotten to plat before, but something isn't clicking with this warrior. I mean, platy on curve until you can finish your quest right?

I don't think you need to play on curve. Just throw out pirates when you see them and don't worry about not being mana efficient. It's a race to see who gets the quest done first.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

As far as standard goes, I think the only real problem right now is Quest Mage. If that deck wasn’t around, this might be one of my favorite metas

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Strawberry Panda posted:

I don't think you need to play on curve. Just throw out pirates when you see them and don't worry about not being mana efficient. It's a race to see who gets the quest done first.

Arguably a good description of what's poo poo about all of the current Questlines. None of them want to play the board, it's just 'Can I drop my 5 7/7 before you win, which may also be dropping your 5 7/7'.

Hell, Quest Mage is best beaten by just not giving it any Minions to cast on until T4-5, then pushing them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shockeh posted:

Arguably a good description of what's poo poo about all of the current Questlines. None of them want to play the board, it's just 'Can I drop my 5 7/7 before you win, which may also be dropping your 5 7/7'.
As Pirate warrior if you minions don't get some face time you're probably going to lose (ie what happens against Quest Mages). Quest Paladin is similar, and Rogue & Shaman are too to a lesser extent.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

obi_ant posted:

I do and don’t play on curve. It really is dependent on board state and what you have in your hand. Sometimes holding onto a freebooter for that 2 dmg for lethal is what you need to do instead of just playing it on turn 3.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

L0cke17 posted:

I disagree with pretty much all of that, I just don't get it.

Wild especially I dont understand how you can be bored of it. There's just so much space for 52% tier 2 decks in the format. I've been regularly hitting diamond 5 off eureka shaman and tonk Hunter just doing daily quests. There's such a huge card pool available that it seems basically impossible to be bored in to me.

What Tonk list are you running? I know both me and olpainless have been working on it forever and posting our lists. I'm always down for new insight and suggestions for it. Please and thank you!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

What Tonk list are you running? I know both me and olpainless have been working on it forever and posting our lists. I'm always down for new insight and suggestions for it. Please and thank you!

I shared mine a while back. We already had this discussion :P

I havent made any signficant changes recently.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

fanny packrat posted:

Wasn't this about poison rogue before it was edited? I wanted to know more about maining that on ladder.

What's the good list right now?

Poison rogue & weapon poison rogue & Mr. Smite. Tl;dr - poison rogue seems to be a worse iteration of garrotte - less early minions, taunts can stop the combo.

Paladin is a lot easier to ladder with.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

I shared mine a while back. We already had this discussion :P

I havent made any signficant changes recently.

I am very bad at remembering things sorry, will check your post history, thanks!

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

GTO posted:

My take as someone who plays mostly standard at diamond and legendary:

On the positives:

Standard is varied, you can hit legend as almost any class at the moment which a great change from the days of there only being 3 meta archetypes in a rock paper scissors.

There are no ultra long games that take 30 mins.

On the negatives:

Some games against questline players (esp mage) feel dull as they're pretty much just playing their game plan regardless of what you do. There's limited counterplay and the games come down to who gets good draw.

The mini set doesn't have much interesting in it.

Mercenaries seems bad to me.

Overall I don't think the game is as fun as say 12 months ago (I loved all the dragon stuff, galakronds, highlander decks), maybe that's just me having played that much more of it. I'd be quite keen for them to drop the next expansion ASAP to mix it all up a bit.

I agree with basically everything here, except that I do think the new cards do have some impact, and the top 500 meta is very interesting.

No ultra long games is basically why this is my favorite meta

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm at Plat 10 in standard, no more star bonus, but I have a deck I'm really comfortable with in Quest Pirate Warrior. I've got a lot of days off work this month so maybe I'm gonna take this chance to make a run for legend. Anyone have advice for handling the grind?

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm at Plat 10 in standard, no more star bonus, but I have a deck I'm really comfortable with in Quest Pirate Warrior. I've got a lot of days off work this month so maybe I'm gonna take this chance to make a run for legend. Anyone have advice for handling the grind?

Pick a deck you like and get familiar with it. Playing a deck well makes more of a difference than playing the "best" deck

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Balance changes out of absoutely nowhere

Hello all,

We will be making some card changes in a patch going out early next week that we wanted to let you know about, to give players time to prepare for Masters Tour: Undercity, taking place from November 19-21. These are the cards that will be changing:

Razormane Battleguard

Old: 2 Attack, 3 Health → New: 2 Attack, 2 Health

Arcanist Dawngrasp (Mage Questline final reward)

Old: Battlecry: For the rest of the game, you have Spell Damage +3. → New: For the rest of the game, you have Spell Damage +2.

Garrote

Old: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Shuffle 3 Bleeds into your deck that deal 2 more when drawn. → New: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Shuffle 2 Bleeds into your deck that deal 2 more when drawn.

Renew

Old: [Costs 2] → New: [Costs 1]

The first three cards will be eligible for the normal full-dust refund for two weeks following the patch. Renew, which will go up in power level, will not get a dust refund. Keep an eye out for Patch Notes early next week for dev comments on these balance changes and more.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

Are you familiar with alcohol? It'll help a lot.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Great, renew back to 1. I don't know why that bothers me so much, but it does.

Wait, is this a stealth nerf to Quest Priest in anticipation of the new set?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

We hope you like Pirate Warrior.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

That will probably kill off mage right?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

GTO posted:

Hopefully, then they won't touch anything in this deck:

### Ignite v1.3
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Hot Streak
# 2x (1) Babbling Book
# 2x (1) Kindling Elemental
# 2x (1) Wand Thief
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Conjure Mana Biscuit
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 1x (2) Ignite
# 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
# 1x (2) Pandaren Importer
# 2x (2) Starscryer
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (3) Frostweave Dungeoneer
# 2x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 2x (4) Deepwater Evoker
# 2x (5) Sanctum Chandler
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
#
AAECAZirBASy9wPJ+QOoigSXoAQN97gDpNED/tEDheQDlugD9+gD0uwDre4Ds/cD9PwDk4EEoaAExKAEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Even before getting the deepwater evoker, Turn 8 combo turns were the normal thing. You might have to do a bit of math, but you get used to the regular damage limits.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

GTO posted:

Not unless they change Ignite to not be able to go infinite. Don't think people play it cause it's great, they just like igniting people to death.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Desert Bus posted:

Are you familiar with alcohol? It'll help a lot.

Am I ever!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

just like igniting people to death.

No need for the quest for that.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

No need for the quest for that.

The extra spell damage to use that card that draws more with spell damage is pretty good for digging out your ignites at the end of the game.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The end of the game is about Turn 8. Have the 6 draw a spell minions. Only have 1 x Ignite, 2 x Hot Streak, 2 x Mana biscuit for spells. Use Chandler (drawn from Taelan Fordring, discounted with Kindling elemental), to cast 6+ Ignites in one turn for 27+ damage. See above.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

The end of the game is about Turn 8. Have the 6 draw a spell minions. Only have 1 x Ignite, 2 x Hot Streak, 2 x Mana biscuit for spells. Use Chandler (drawn from Taelan Fordring, discounted with Kindling elemental), to cast 6+ Ignites in one turn for 27+ damage. See above.

Oh nice, going to try and run this and see if I can make it happen.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's good enough at whatever MMR i'm at to win more often than not. Most people are probably happy for it to not be quest mage, then they get blown up on turn 8. You have to keep an eye on the numbers, knowing how much damage you can do on any given turn, before your turn starts so you don't have to race the rope so much. You can often get in a bit of chip damage to get them to 27 or below so that a 6 ignite turn starting from 2 is enough. But sometimes you can get them down to 20, which is enough for 5. But if you cast any ignite you get on earlier turns, then it's just easier. If you're doing 6 casts on your combo turn, but you've cast it once so you start from 3 damage, then your total damage would be 33.
And since there is good card generation, you can sometimes get extra hot streaks or mana biscuits and maybe can go off early.

The main thing about watching the numbers is that you might not have cast your conjure mana biscuits yet. If you're pressured, you might not be able to spare the 4 mana total. Sometimes you'll have one biscuit cast instead of two and that will cost you a bit of damage there. And sometimes you can start the combo without all the hot streaks or ignite in your hand - just it's best to already have both the mana biscuits out so you don't get stuffed. But, you can sometimes game it better. Casting hot streak then Ignite to start off will let you draw out the final spell in your deck.

And sometime it's best to use your combo turn to clear the board if you don't have enough damage to go face. Like you can only do 27 and they have 28+ - you will have a second chandler to do a little combo turn. And you ignites will start from 8+ damage. The extra draw a spell minions would help here if you get into that predicament.

I would say 75% of the time I have all the pieces I need by T8. A few of those times though they are out of range health-wise.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This dumb game is making me learn Portuguese, i just wanted to learn the cards and decks. How dare it make me become a better person wtf

Emandesunu
May 28, 2013
Do they ever nerf cards for arena? Or just reduce the chance they come up?

I have two Sneed's which I hear is op in arena.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
They banned Frost Lich Jaina and the other death knights from arena for power level reasons. And yeah they've changed offering rates of specific cards from time to time. Good luck with your Sneedses!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Emandesunu posted:

Do they ever nerf cards for arena? Or just reduce the chance they come up?

I have two Sneed's which I hear is op in arena.

They’ve reduced the appearance rate of some cards in arena or removed them entirely but they’ve never changed stats of a card just for arena

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

skaboomizzy posted:

As others have said, making legend without the Star bonus is much more about playing a certain deck really well than playing the best deck at an average level.. For me most recently it has been deathrattle DH, which has never been considered anything more than a tier 3 deck in play rate or win rate recently, but it fits my preferred playstyle really well and I've learned a lot of the game within the game of how to try and counter play against other decks which may arguably be stronger in the meta right now.

the thing with ladder is that assuming you are playing a reasonable deck at around a 50% win rate, you will naturally gravitate to Diamond 5 over a long enough period of time. This is because there are rank floors every 5 ranks that you can lose any number of games and not fall below, and there are x2 star win streak modifiers which means when you get that 5 or 6 win streak from luck or good matchups (or just playing consistently stronger than your opponents) the system will boost you up even if you lose the next 5 or 6 games and your win rate stays at 50% overall.

Once you get to Diamond 5 however, the win streak modifiers no longer exist and you have to simply go +15 in the W/L record to make it to legend.. so that could mean winning 15 games in a row, going 40-25, or going 250-235.. Any one of these will work, it's just a matter of winning 15 games more than you lose over any time period starting from the point you win your first game to get your first star at Diamond 5 over the floor.. obviously if you lose enough to get back to Diamond 5 with 0 stars it wipes all your previous efforts out.

so really.. getting legend is just a matter of playing enough games for a lot of people - the more games you play, the easier it is and the more likely you will get that +15 record at some point.. simple as that.

Of course, playing hundreds of games in a month is not realistic for many people, which brings us right back around to the original point - just playing Quest Warrior like the average Diamond player for an overall 52% win rate or whatever HS replay says Quest Warrior is performing at is not nearly enough to make legend unless you get incredibly lucky with your matchup sequencing. More realistically you are going to need to have more insight into the deck and play at a much higher level than the people you will be playing against to go +15 in say 70 or 80 games. What you need to do is figure out ways to turn a bad matchup against aggro Druid or handbuff Paladin so you're winning 40% of your games against those decks instead of 35%. Whatever resources you can find on the deck you are playing that might give you some of those tools are going to save you potentially dozens of games worth of time and frustration in the future, so that is where I would start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

For me I find I get legend when a deck really clicks and is both fun for me to play but also I feel I understand how every card synergises with every other card and what all the interactions are, plus knowing how the deck counters or does its best not to lose against every other deck.

That plus probably a bit of survivor bias in getting enough of a streak to get to D2 at least without really trying. It's so easy to drop right back to D5 if you change decks or the meta shifts that I don't get excited or think about pushing for legend until I'm at the top of D2.