Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sanctum posted:

How do you figure that? Everything in the game has a $0 value.

I spend $20 on Welkins over 4 months and get 12000 primos from that. Using those primos I roll 81 times for Hu Tao c1 and get Qiqi c1 instead. What did I get for $20. Tell me what I got.
qiqi c1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The BP is there for

1) Making sure you have at least one good weapon for the character you like. Even when they're not the ideal weapon, they're usually at least better than all the 3 stars and many of the 4 stars out there.

OR

2)You want to level/power up a bunch of characters. You really only need 1 team to do almost everything, with maybe a character or two on the side to help out. If that's all you care about then you'll get there without any BP. The lure of the gatcha is that you get a new character, you need to spend time to power them up.

Honestly, it's a matter of how much you view your money as being worth. I cancelled my MMO subscriptions to games I never played, and instead I chip in $15 a month for game that I really do enjoy playing every day.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I spend $20 on Welkins over 4 months and get 12000 primos from that. Using those primos I roll 81 times for Hu Tao c1 and get Qiqi c1 instead. What did I get for $20. Tell me what I got.

Behind that $20 are so many 1's and 0's making up Hu Tao and Qiqi, bro you don't even know

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPsJU4XJ7vs

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Part of me is greatly amused that if I get Keqing again, I will have C6 Keqing, which is a goal many whales have aimed for yet failed to achieve.

The much larger part of me is super pissed off that I have no Jean or Mona constellations, despite using those characters all the time, and no Diluc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Part of me is greatly amused that if I get Keqing again, I will have C6 Keqing, which is a goal many whales have aimed for yet failed to achieve.

Keqing is the one standard character that could've been c6 easily, because she was on rate up to have Hu tao avoid chinese taboo

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Keqing is the one standard character that could've been c6 easily, because she was on rate up to have Hu tao avoid chinese taboo

oh

yeah

that's right

:smith:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sanctum posted:

Sunsettias in the battle pass are zero dollar value
Qiqi spooking your gacha pulls is a negative-dollar value

But really I realize that the battlepass is a fairly decent option to buy.
I just really hate the marketing trick of claiming some bundle is an "$X value" when half of that $X is from things you can't actually buy separately for real money and wouldn't even if you could. Usually you just see that in as--seen-on-tv ads or cash shops in slightly-scummy f2p games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

cash shops in slightly-scummy f2p games.

you best start believing in cash shops in slightly scummy f2p games...

youre in one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but also its not like the game tells you its an x-dollar value, im the one saying that. im saying that to say its a better thing to buy then dropping 10 bucks on like 5 rolls. its not even any kind of trick, if you fill it out you get like 8 rolls. it is objectively better than anything else you could get for that ten bucks except maybe two months of welkin.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Usually you just see that in as--seen-on-tv ads or cash shops in slightly-scummy f2p games.

I mean Genshin is a game with FGO levels of bad pull feel, so

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I just appreciate that the game has a pity system that is intuitive so I can ask myself "am I prepared to spend X primogems to guarantee I get this character" before I decide whether to pull or not. When the pulls are bad it's nice to know that at least there is a hard end-point where you're guaranteed to get what you want.

Unless we're talking about 4* rate up characters and the disaster that was my Sayu rolling when she first came out.

Then again, even that was better than the 250 rolls it took me to get Kal'tsit...

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 6, 2021

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Counterpoint: at least Genshin has a hard pity for 5*'s. :shepicide:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Asimo posted:

Counterpoint: at least Genshin has a hard pity for 5*'s. :shepicide:

I'll concede that

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

kirbysuperstar posted:

???

FGO is probably the worst pulling experience you could have in a game

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Worst thing about the BP is they gated the furnishing blueprint behind the ripoff version.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

???

FGO is probably the worst pulling experience you could have in a game

fgo feels like it actively resents you for playing it

tho I will say this for fgo, it has way better writing than genshin top to bottom

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

AR58 popup really took me by surprise today, totally forgot about those

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
What's the name of that fancy-rear end pull log thing I've seen some people posting?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

tho I will say this for fgo, it has way better writing than genshin top to bottom

That franchise has it's moments and there's certainly a gently caress ton more melodrama in it to chew on (kind of like Honkai Impact at it's current story juncture compared to Genshin), but based on what I've seen from it at least I've always found the idea that it consistently has super awesome writing, characterization and storytelling as something up for debate. There's a ton I could say there that I'd sooner spare anyone any Labyrinth Warriors level of TL;DR in the interim.

Anyway any game that has a cap on it's gacha systems isn't so bad about it to me even if I still prefer to get my characters via achievement type things. I like that this game does this with some of it's 4 stars at least, but yeah wouldn't even be playing it if it were purely up to chance whether I ever saw single 5 star character or weapon. It's also plainly evident that it's not exactly hard capping it's revenue gross in the process, but I think that has more to do with the fact that it's mainstream popular in general globally for a gacha game and that that wouldn't necessarily be the case for other gacha model games, but still it seems only fair and like something any game should have to not be accused of being a full blown gambling simulator with it's character acquisition method.

Where I still think the game isn't even close to maximizing it's profit takes is the costumes though. If it wanted to get really predatory I'm just imagining something like a Ganyu swimsuit outfit tied to a rerun or Tuxedo for Zhongli in a similar circumstance and the frenzy that would likely ensue. It's still oddly just standard banner character Jean and freebie by completing Mondstadt story arc Barbara in their summer casual beachwear though. The amount of in game permanent purchasable items is staggeringly low compared to say FFXIV for example. The merchandise is starting to come for the game now (figurines, cencorolls and other such popular trinkets) but for how much money the game has made (possibly all time for any video game ever in it's first year) it comes across as not particularly money grubbing, desperate, or greedy in it's approach to monetization in comparison to just about any other gacha game I've ever seen. It's strange......

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dramatika posted:

What's the name of that fancy-rear end pull log thing I've seen some people posting?

if you're talking about this

that's https://paimon.moe. Go to Wish Counter, Auto Import and follow the instructions. Note that mihoyo doesn't keep a history older than 6 months.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Agartha lol

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Kale posted:

The merchandise is starting to come for the game now (figurines, cencorolls

The 2009 Atsuya Uki movie?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

Agartha lol

agartha isnt great but at least it has a couple funny jokes with astolfo. even if its basically just a ripoff of the death by snusnu gag from futurama.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Speaking of Genshin Impact in the thread for the game Genshin Impact by Shanghai Mihoyo I can't wait to play the game Genshin Impact which is in the topic list for this thread on my fancy new gaming PC. Hopefully I can carry my user data for the video game Genshin Impact which this thread is about discussing over to a PC account without too much hassle and enjoy a more optimal experience than on PS4.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Xun posted:

Agartha lol

oh god dammit that's when I stopped playing, if I have to play through a lovely story to get caught up on the lostbelts I'm gonna die instead

also saying FGO has a good story top to bottom makes me wonder if they've blacked Septem from their memories.

edit: also its kind of not fair to compare FGO's massive hand job to the fate franchise's story vs a mostly original IP's story

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 6, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

oh god dammit that's when I stopped playing, if I have to play through a lovely story to get caught up on the lostbelts I'm gonna die instead
You don't have to play Agartha to do the lostbelts, nothing in it really comes up later on and you aren't forced to play through it before doing the lostbelts. The only 1.5 story I'd say has any real relevance to the lostbelts is Shimosa.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think people just don't count chapters before America anymore unless they want to throw Okeanos a bone for whatever reason. even with Agartha's issues it's miles ahead of all that stuff, and also not required for anything important. maybe even a relevant comparison point since the handling of Columbus there gives more to hold onto than the sort of stuff Genshin is weakly playing with when it comes to Childe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ultimately FGO's kinda interesting in that it's willing to let playable characters be actual complete villains, like columbus yeah, versus genshin having to kinda handwave raiden being hosed up. it doesnt completely dismiss it but in fgo a character like her would get to go in way harder on being an evil shogun. i guess what im saying is i hope the child experimentation guy from the manga is playable.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manatee Cannon posted:

Counterpoint: I hate Nasuverse writing so much I never even finished the novels, they are bland and cannot balance stuff for life.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Counterpoint: I hate Nasuverse writing so much I never even finished the novels, they are bland and cannot balance stuff for life.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Anyway still feeling kind of desperately off topic and I didn't really come to this thread to talk about Fate/Stay Whatever stuff anyway so I'll mention instead that the new event is pressing me to get my rear end out to Tsurumi Island and the timing is right for it with a weekend off so time to do a little exploring again.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 6, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 1st year for FGO was pretty bad and dire, you kids don't know

like it was a legit prime example of a lovely general game held together by its IP

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kale posted:

Agreed wholeheartedly. Anyway still feeling kind of desperately off topic and I didn't really come to this thread to talk about Fate/Stay Whatever stuff anyway so I'll mention instead that the new event is pressing me to get my rear end out to Tsurumi Island and the timing is right for it with a weekend off so time to do a little exploring again.

Luckily I got Tsurumi stuff complete, which I find pretty convenient as I am moving this weekend and the current event is very fast to finish. Time to pack my PC up!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

The 1st year for FGO was pretty bad and dire, you kids don't know

like it was a legit prime example of a lovely general game held together by its IP
Yeah, Nasu's even admitted as much. There were a few bright spots, though. Mostly the comedy events. 'Darius, Age 3' is an incredible joke.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Luckily I got Tsurumi stuff complete, which I find pretty convenient as I am moving this weekend and the current event is very fast to finish. Time to pack my PC up!

I'm almost wrapped up installing it on my new PC so opposite situation. Fingers crossed that this data sync works for the game Genshin Impact that I am discussing in this thread. :ohdear:

Garrand posted:

if you're talking about this

that's https://paimon.moe. Go to Wish Counter, Auto Import and follow the instructions. Note that mihoyo doesn't keep a history older than 6 months.

I find the built in one sufficient now that I've figured out you can toggle between the different banners to better keep track of the pity accumulation. I'd love something that allows me to upload your current status to one of those online interactive maps and have it synchronize with it if such an option exist. Would make getting 100% exploration and keeping track of collectables and where to get them much much easier. Also is their any character from Inazuma currently that has the "reveals local specialties" perk like Yanfei has for Liyue?

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 6, 2021

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I liked Tsurumi but it reminded me of how much harder puzzles are with the first-person perspective. The block-pushing ones would be trivial as 2D Sokoban but here I had to keep looking around to remember where was that one? Where's it supposed to go? What's blocking that again?

The worst offenders in that respect were the light mirror puzzles on Yashiori. Unless I totally missed something, you can't see where the beam bounces after the first couple of mirrors so it becomes guess-and-check for where it's going wrong.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I like this event because it takes you back to Mondstadt and Liyue. I hope they do more stuff like this where you get to explore previous areas in a new way.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
New event is 200x better than the previous treasure seeking crap. Triangulating ftw.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I wasn't entirely prepared for the Genshin Impact on PC experience. I always knew the game wasn't particularly optimized for PS4, but I have first hand experience for just how big the difference is now. Better visuals, better frame rate, better performance, better loads times. Something about the games assets are clearly scaled down for the PS4, though I can't quite put my finger on it exactly. I don't think I can run this game from PS4 anymore once I get my DS4 profile setup with the new machine now that I've seen the sheer difference first hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Sanctum posted:

As someone who plays other gacha games, you have anti-spook protection/you cannot lose the 50/50 next time

And that is priceless

(yes I'm aware I'm mind-poisoned)