Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Brandfarlig posted:

That's what I understood your post as...because it's how language works. But feel free to be a tedious bastard about a minor misunderstanding.

Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheHan posted:

It feels like making Shigaraki an unkillable hamburger man is less compelling than Deku just choosing not to kill him. Nobody’s expecting Shigaraki to win in the end so the real tension’s been coming from wondering how Deku can save a guy who acts like he doesn’t want to be saved and poses a real active threat to the world. Punching him to death is how Deku loses, so taking punching him to death off the table isn’t as fun.
Well, Deku and Shigaraki being ultimate punchers lets them have a big, climactic, destructive battle which is settled through Deku reaching out and saving Tenko.

Like one of the obvious scenes you can do is where Tenko is saved, and you get to watch AFO get ripped out of him in the weird psychic world the OFA ghosts/Shigaraki+AFO inhabit. The ultimate defeat for AFO is humiliating him by destroying his project through human connection and not raw power- ultimately proving his brother was right. He has already been defeated messily in a punchup before, when All Might literally punched his torso off- so I feel like AFO getting kamehameha'd to death or whatever doesn't work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
AFO should get destroyed by the vestiges of everyone whose Quirk he stole. Or something like that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

AFO should get destroyed by the vestiges of everyone whose Quirk he stole. Or something like that.

Can't believe Knuckleduster is going to join the main series just to deliver the final blow.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
All for One wins but then returns One for All because he's become so used to having a nemesis that it just isn't fun anymore if no one can stand up to him.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Can't believe Knuckleduster is going to join the main series just to deliver the final blow.

hell yeah!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

christmas boots posted:

All for One wins but then returns One for All because he's become so used to having a nemesis that it just isn't fun anymore if no one can stand up to him.

I also liked Aku in the last season of Samurai Jack

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
but for real if he manages to steal her quirk, isn't afo/shigaraki functionally like, capable of destroying entire nations himself? he was there or thereabouts literally incomplete, now his body is close to "perfected" or whatever AND he'll have a reality bending quirk seemingly only limited by the user's belief in their own capabilities? why wouldn't he jsut instantly walk all over the school and just obliterate deku, nobody could realistically stop him at that point

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheHan posted:

It feels like making Shigaraki an unkillable hamburger man is less compelling than Deku just choosing not to kill him. Nobody’s expecting Shigaraki to win in the end so the real tension’s been coming from wondering how Deku can save a guy who acts like he doesn’t want to be saved and poses a real active threat to the world. Punching him to death is how Deku loses, so taking punching him to death off the table isn’t as fun.

Yeah, this is what gets me. The thing that's supposed to make Deku so exceptional is that he tries to save everyone, no matter what. For Deku to look at the horrible gibbering nightmare monster that Shigaraki has become and still decide to try to save him despite all of the horrific things he's done is a much stronger beat if it's unforced and it's something Deku decides to do because he's Deku. It's a lot weaker if saving Shigaraki is something that Deku does because it's been established that fighting Shigaraki is a totally hopeless waste of time because Shigaraki is totally invincible to everything forever because super regeneration is apparently the most powerful quirk in the universe.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

tbp posted:

but for real if he manages to steal her quirk, isn't afo/shigaraki functionally like, capable of destroying entire nations himself? he was there or thereabouts literally incomplete, now his body is close to "perfected" or whatever AND he'll have a reality bending quirk seemingly only limited by the user's belief in their own capabilities? why wouldn't he jsut instantly walk all over the school and just obliterate deku, nobody could realistically stop him at that point

Thankfully almost every country is preserved by being named something different in another language, whew.

(I guess that didn't work for air/lasers/missiles etc. but I'm just having some fun.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think the biggest thing I've realized is that I just don't care. Not like "I hate it" or anything just... I've kinda lost interest. Bakugo's apology basically was the last plot beat I really felt was genuinely earned and satisfying.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I just had a thought about the latest chapter

Since Shigaraki barely knows who he himself is such that New Order didn’t work when Star used his name, he might be able to impose rules on himself

Yeah if he can’t impose rules on himself it won’t really be that strong. I mean he can impose rules on people he touches but he already wins if he touches you so

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:yeah:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think the biggest thing I've realized is that I just don't care. Not like "I hate it" or anything just... I've kinda lost interest. Bakugo's apology basically was the last plot beat I really felt was genuinely earned and satisfying.

Yeah, I'm sort of at a point where I can't imagine the resolution between One for All and All for One being at all satisfying, but at least it'll probably be nice to look at.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, I'm sort of at a point where I can't imagine the resolution between One for All and All for One being at all satisfying, but at least it'll probably be nice to look at.

Definitely. Despite being down on the last couple of arcs, I can't deny that they've been visually amazing.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah mha probably bad now

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

RatHat posted:

Yeah if he can’t impose rules on himself it won’t really be that strong. I mean he can impose rules on people he touches but he already wins if he touches you so

I don't really get the point in giving Shigaraki this quirk then, from a narrative standpoint. He's already written as having a bunch of quirks stored that he hasn't used yet and can basically pull any ability he needs out of his rear end that the plot requires, I don't see what adding a Quirk that does that specifically accomplishes.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Maybe if AfO had more limits in quirk usage and the big oh poo poo from this would be letting him make a rule to break those limits or something but as is AfO is already such a munchkin power it seems pointless.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
tbf who says he's actually going to get new order

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Well yeah we know he won't get it but at the same time it probably doesn't even matter so this is just showing outside intervention is useless for dealing with him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Super Shigaraki is already physically invincible, can instantly and irrevocably kill anyone he can directly touch or who is physically in contact something he can touch, can instantly and permanently steal any quirk but AfO on touch if he doesn't want to kill you, and can manifest tentacles to attack people at range. That's before you get into the rolodex of stolen quirks AfO has.

Yeah not really sure we're meaningfully increasing his power here since he's already a walking god.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Shigaraki also stole ragdoll’s search quirk and should have known S&S’s weakness instantly

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Maybe new order has a sort of built in rule that states that the user cannot be stronger than all might or something because that's what S&S believes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

skipmyseashells posted:

Shigaraki also stole ragdoll’s search quirk and should have known S&S’s weakness instantly
It can see physical weaknesses and find people, it doesn't explain quirks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I still think this is a roundabout solution to the issue of Shigaraki being too powerful. We just had the heroes panicking because he's going to be ready sooner than they thought and they're not confident he can be stopped. Villains who already have victory secured, but then take an extra step that ultimately ends up backfiring and becoming their undoing is a fairly common story beat so I think that might be what ends up happening with this quirk.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally I think this is also Horikoshi overcompensating for the lovely nerds who say things like why doesn’t x hero just kill y villain by making the villain actually unkillable.

Why doesn’t Batman just kill the Joker etc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

New rule: One for All can be forcibly taken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I also genuinely feel like this, like a lot of the other story beats, would feel a lot less crappy if it had any buildup whatsoever. Even if S&S showed up for like a last minute save during the big war arc or something at least you'd have her established as a character.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
nighteye clutches all might in his deathbed to tell him Stars and Stripes is gonna get chumped in 5 months

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Aizen pulled less nonsense out of thin air.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

let's not get too crazy

shigaraki's just another anime badguy who tanks everything that everyone throws at him because he can't go down before a confrontation with the plot-mandated Chosen One, he's still nowhere near the level of contrivance aizen threw out

now if midoriya still can't beat him then we can start making comparisons to madara uchiha

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Oxxidation posted:

let's not get too crazy

shigaraki's just another anime badguy who tanks everything that everyone throws at him because he can't go down before a confrontation with the plot-mandated Chosen One, he's still nowhere near the level of contrivance aizen threw out

now if midoriya still can't beat him then we can start making comparisons to madara uchiha

ugh all uchihas are clowns

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's still a small chance captain america didn't get introduced solely to job but it's not looking good

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official translation

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-332/chapter/23518?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010474

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

Found Tobirama's account

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Power thieves/copiers are the worst and laziest villains.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SpazmasterX posted:

Aizen was the better troll imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

Aizen was the better troll imo

It's hard to top tricking everyone into stabbing their friend tbh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hiddenriverninja posted:

Second Hokagishly: The Uchiha brain pan makes them perfect cops but that also means they cannot fully feel love and thus are naturally untrustworthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Forbidden technique: Calipers no Jutsu