Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, for now there's literally nothing that will really -need- a 32-core GPU, hopefully there's someone out there writing the next flight sim or game that will showcase the need for one; about the only thing I've seen that could showcase that potential other than the GPU making Final Cut faster is that demo where they show off nearly infinite zooming levels in some vector graphic.

Games. The new UE5 engine and presumably the others too, are doing some serious heavy lifting with the ultra high poly count stuff. The highest end GPUs keep the macbooks in the game. And even if people arent forking out $5K+ for these for games, macs are still very popular for creative types and that means heavy GPU use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

duck monster posted:

I'll probably just go buy a new battery for the 2014, repurpose it as a linux server and just code out of that.

Please don’t do this unless you’re getting the batteries from a top flight supplier (ie. iFixit).

Please do not put mystery batteries in the computer that your dad already made burst into flames once.

Honestly I would just take your shiny new laptop and be happy with it. Cut your losses on the 2014. Maybe drop $150 on an eBay special refurbished Dell Optiplex, slap Linux + an SSD into it, and then just leave it in a closet and Remote Desktop into it/etc.

And it goes without saying, but no way in hell that any Apple Certified tech (to say nothing of anybody actually working for Apple) is gonna touch a computer that’s been through a puncture-induced battery fire.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Binary Badger posted:

So did the 10C model actually 'feel' faster than your M1 Air in general practice, or about the same?

Yes, but not in the same dramatic fashion that moving from my 2019 i7 16" to the M1 Air felt. I think most of the perceived speed difference in normal usage is coming from the Promotion display, and some from the faster SSDs.

Binary Badger posted:

Can you elaborate? Screen updates, page scrolling, launching speed --?

When doing any video encoding, editing, or handbrake, the M1 Pro (10C/16C) is dramatically faster than both the i7 16" and the M1 Air, but in day to day normal usage I think it only feels faster due to the 120hz display.

The base model M1 Pro 8C/14C was ocassionally stuttering/dropping frames for me when just doing normal stuff, which made it feel slow. Even though I know it's dramatically faster in high performance work loads than the M1, it didn't feel like it. The 10C/16C at least feels faster than the M1, but again, it's not by a huge margin. Hope this clears it up for you.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

What are folks' opinions on apple care? Worth it? Not worth it?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

El Mero Mero posted:

I skip Applecare+ on my Macs, and I pay for it monthly on my iPhones.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

El Mero Mero posted:

insurance is sold at a profit, so unless you are much more accident prone than average you probably don't need it.

some credit cards will do automatic warranty extension by a year or two for anything you purchase. mine does, though i've never had to use it. it's not quite the same as applecare because it won't cover accidents or battery wear, but it's good enough for me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bad Purchase posted:

insurance is sold at a profit, so unless you are much more accident prone than average you probably don't need it.

some credit cards will do automatic warranty extension by a year or two for anything you purchase. mine does, though i've never had to use it. it's not quite the same as applecare because it won't cover accidents or battery wear, but it's good enough for me.

I think Costco also does included extended warranties with electronics you buy there too as long as you use the Costco credit card. Plus the just generous return policy they have as well.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Obligatory blast from the past - installing an SD card adapter to bring a 2004 G4 PowerBook to 256GB storage. Just look how much internal space the optical drive takes up.

Idle observations:

- Sweet lord, the adhesive in the keyboard went bad and smells like bad cumin.

- Remarkably clean inside after all these years - hardly a speck of dust to blow out.

- So. Many. Screws.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

oof that optical drive is a bag of hurt

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I remember when people lost their absolute poo poo when Apple removed the optical drive from their MacBooks and later the iMac. The absolute wailing and gnashing of teeth lasted for so very long.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lol at the tiny fan that has to cool that massive heat sink

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I remember when people lost their absolute poo poo when Apple removed the optical drive from their MacBooks and later the iMac. The absolute wailing and gnashing of teeth lasted for so very long.

I was accidentally pushing SD cards into those loving iMac optical drives for years.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Binary Badger posted:

Lol at the tiny fan that has to cool that massive heat sink

The most efficient heat sink at that time were the thighs of a college student who’s so hosed up on adderall they’re not aware of the third degree burns they’re developing trying to run a browser window and work in Word.

The fan was for show.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

jokes posted:

The most efficient heat sink at that time were the thighs of a college student who’s so hosed up on adderall they’re not aware of the third degree burns they’re developing trying to run a browser window and work in Word.

The fan was for show.

This hit home - in late 2012 I used this G4 for putting together a geophysics paper, and it was suitable for purpose but I kept it on a table in the lab, not on my lap.

As an update, wow. The G4 is WAY faster with a fast SDXC card in an adapter running Tiger than the stock hard drive was running Leopard. For my next trick I'll cudgel Void Linux onto a second partition and see what I can make it do by comparison.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was accidentally pushing SD cards into those loving iMac optical drives for years.

I was removing them at the Genius Bar for years.

Thanks for giving me an easy 10min “repair” tho. :unsmith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I ended up lecturing Pro Tools in an iMac lab about 8 years ago and whenever the class would bring back Zoom recordings on an SD card I’d warn them about the disk drive and every single time someone would mess it up :negative:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there anything about the impact of the 96W charger over the 67W charger? I can't see anything. I'm assuming it's worth the money, because it's so little. But then given the ridiculous battery life on this thing and the possible negative impact of fast charge, then maybe it's not important to have.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Is there anything about the impact of the 96W charger over the 67W charger? I can't see anything. I'm assuming it's worth the money, because it's so little. But then given the ridiculous battery life on this thing and the possible negative impact of fast charge, then maybe it's not important to have.

Fast charging

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sad Panda posted:

If you need fast charging vs if you don’t.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

16" M1 Max (10c/32gpu) w 64gb of Ram is wild. I can have Xcode, Android Studio along with iOS Simulator and Android Emulators running, throw in Metro + React Native compilers, with room to spare for a local CI server in the background. :aaaaa:

e: The only thing I can say the 2021 Macbook Pro is missing is a touch screen. Would make development using Simulator so much easier.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 6, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hasturtium posted:

- Sweet lord, the adhesive in the keyboard went bad and smells like bad cumin.

I had that happen with a 2001 iBook. I literally couldn't give that laptop away. As in I gave it a friend and he returned it a week later because the B.O. smell was so bad.

I found it buried in a box a couple of years ago and turned it on and sure enough it still smelt like something died in there.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Neoprene case? It's been a while since I've needed one, but I used to buy Incase.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had that happen with a 2001 iBook. I literally couldn't give that laptop away. As in I gave it a friend and he returned it a week later because the B.O. smell was so bad.

I found it buried in a box a couple of years ago and turned it on and sure enough it still smelt like something died in there.

It genuinely smells like the dirtiest apartment I ever hung out in as an undergrad, but at least I can walk away and wash my hands. In the long run I'm looking at (probably a dumb and doomed idea) building a custom pizza box-style case for the PowerBook motherboard, then running all video through the lone mini-DVI connector and hoping it'll properly poll USB for keyboard/mouse input at boot time. Oh, the thrills that await me.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Huh, I’ve been noticing a spicy/sweaty smell coming from my work issued Dell Latitude that started over the summer when the fans would blow. I had no idea that was normal (from adhesive breakdown?), but kinda glad it’s that and not something foul growing in there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lmao at all these goons, unwittingly self-reporting on getting cum in their laptops....

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

No I’m an expert at identifying old cum smell and this is different.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

No I’m an expert at identifying old cum smell and this is different.

yeah, but has it been baked at high temp a gorillion times?

you know those Intel chips run hot, as do the old PPC

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao at all these goons, unwittingly self-reporting on getting cum in their laptops....

Naw, it's a known design flaw in PPC-era Macs: the keyboard adhesive eventually breaks down with repeated heating and cooling, and puts out a smell that's like a mix of cumin and body odor. Guessing that Dell is subject to a related malady.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, but has it been baked at high temp a gorillion times?

I stand by my statement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Naw, it's a known design flaw in PPC-era Macs: the keyboard adhesive eventually breaks down with repeated heating and cooling, and puts out a smell that's like a mix of cumin and body odor. Guessing that Dell is subject to a related malady.

it’s ok dude, everybody makes mistakes

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s ok dude, everybody makes mistakes

If I made this smell, I'd see a doctor

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

I stand by my statement.

I wouldn’t have pegged the creator of the infamous MLP cum jar for a Mac user, tbh

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

A lot of prolific creators use macs.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Any of y'all trade your M1 Air in for a MBP?

the quote apple is giving me on the site is around 800, but I'm seeing people remarking online that they are getting more

mine's got 16gb of ram, 1tb, 8 core

I just got a 4k monitor and while I love this air, I think I need a little more horsepower

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I feel like the 16GB/1TB SKU in particular you could get a much better deal on flogging it to someone else but as always it's a bother.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I think I remember my black polycarbonate MacBook smelling like a gyro stand after a while. Memories…

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

El Mero Mero posted:

Do you have young kids?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

^^^not yet thank god

Brain Issues posted:

I skip Applecare+ on my Macs, and I pay for it monthly on my iPhones.

makes sense. Yeah I'll skip it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Please don’t do this unless you’re getting the batteries from a top flight supplier (ie. iFixit).

Please do not put mystery batteries in the computer that your dad already made burst into flames once.

Honestly I would just take your shiny new laptop and be happy with it. Cut your losses on the 2014. Maybe drop $150 on an eBay special refurbished Dell Optiplex, slap Linux + an SSD into it, and then just leave it in a closet and Remote Desktop into it/etc.

And it goes without saying, but no way in hell that any Apple Certified tech (to say nothing of anybody actually working for Apple) is gonna touch a computer that’s been through a puncture-induced battery fire.

Honestly its an abberation. The old mans an electrical engineer who spent half his career building custom mixing desks for recording studios and the other at Telstra building satelites, now in retirement advising the govt on video conferencing tech. He knows his poo poo. He just.... had an old man moment. But yeah, I'm getting the battery from somewhere reputable.

I kind of have an attachment to the old macbook. She's served me well and deserves better than to be left in a wrecked state. I know, its a machine, but I've got a sentimental attachment to it. Its actually fine minus the battery (It was disconnected from the motherboard and it was more sparks and smokes that quickly got patted out.) And it boots and runs fine, although minus a battery macbooks speedstep down severely (I gather its a safety mechanism that if the logic board cant detect the battery controller it tries to minimize draw by running low power just in case there is a battery there in a bad state)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Neoprene case? It's been a while since I've needed one, but I used to buy Incase.

I’ve been using a Tom Bihn cache (or equivalent) since 2010. Zero complaints.