Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

A new case came out yesterday. It's nothing new, just clowns but it's a lot of setup for what seems like a showdown between Ben and Giselle. It was also pretty fun to just destroy the clowns with Ray and Giselle since I've refined their builds recently. Totally unnecessary for the other characters to show up.

I know it's dumb to expect it but I do kind of wonder if Giselle specifically hunting the clowns and taking out the 3 leaders without them being specified as getting away will actually lead to them being out of commission for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, a lot of character and plot development in this last one, even if we got nothing new in terms of gameplay. My duo also crashed through the encounter, Trapper Giselle is very very powerful. I think the Clowns didn't get a single attack in between the two and Gold Tongue. I do appreciate that Kylie didn't show up. I wonder if the animosity between her and Giselle comes from Black Pearl, since the control team people namedropped her. And yeah, I am skeptical of the leaders being arrested for real, but would be pleasantly surprised. I do hope we get the Giselle vs Ben confrontation by the end of the DLC instead of this being added to the plot pile.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How is the translation these days? I put it up late last year because the dialogue felt like machine translated nonsense and it really took me out of caring about what was happening. I'd like to go back to it but if it's still at that place I may not.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Levantine posted:

How is the translation these days? I put it up late last year because the dialogue felt like machine translated nonsense and it really took me out of caring about what was happening. I'd like to go back to it but if it's still at that place I may not.

It is much better thanks to community efforts, though the more recent cases still have a bit of Engrish for the first few days.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZearothK posted:

It is much better thanks to community efforts, though the more recent cases still have a bit of Engrish for the first few days.

Maybe it's time to fire it back up. I've been trying to scratch the SRPG itch and coming up short. Can only replay tactics ogre so many times I guess.

e: are there any decent build guides? The last time I played i felt kind of lost building people up and I'd like to understand how things work a little better.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 25, 2021

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I'm halfway through act 3 and haven't figured out where I spend the coins I've gotten from getting all the info on enemies. Is it something I'm missing or just don't have yet?

Also it pointed out that items I missed on stages can be bought later but I have no idea where/how to do that too.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Valkyrie coins are only spent on extra mastery boards or crafting recipes from various Shooter st npc's. It's why it's suggested when you complete a Shooter st sidequest to grab the mats and buy the recipe off them later. There's not much else to spend Valk coins on.

As for the second question, I think what you're referring to is the lost item system. If you back out of a stage you'll lose a bunch of your loot gained in the stage so far. You can go into the main vendor in Silverlining and there will be a tab to buy the stuff back.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Anyone got a good Alisa barbarian build they wouldnt mind posting? She seems to do okayish for me though she seems to just die more than she should

Also those drat destrons in violent 50 really make me wish I could disable reaction fire for a turn or two, ive managed to more or less figure out how to deal with them but since I basically gave everyone the reaction fire synergy friendship buff whenever they attack (twice) they get reaction fired like 6 times all of which miss because auto dodge is bullshit and then he attacks all six of those people twice :(

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Here's mine posted earlier in the thread:

Nephthys posted:

I don't like the Rampage build so this version instead uses Encourage to get the Rage buff you need to maintain for the build to work. Just make sure you reapply Encourage before it runs out or you're screwed. Barbarian doesn't really work if you don't have all the masteries and sets you can synergising which you need a Rage buff to maintain. The Golden set is recommended for the stun immunity as well as the speed and other bonuses. You don't want any dodge at all, you want to be getting hit. This build takes less damage when under rage, less damage the lower health she has and auto-blocks every attack when under 33%. I've boosted her HP as much as I can to help with that. You revive on death as well and are immune to physical debuffs. Taking damage lowers her AT and she runs at them to attack them due to Wildcat Engine, which is super fun and can be really strong so I worked that in. You also get buffs and bonus speed on kills so it can take a while to ramp up but when it does you can crack 200 speed with hero, trance etc active on her.

I'm not sure if they buffed the Destrons or I just got unlucky because they were able to beat my Alisa when I played last week. Previously I felt she could handle them really well, but against pretty much anything else she becomes invincible as long as they don't 1-shot her.

Alisa's Barb isn't great against the crabs, Ashuram has a pretty good White Knight build on youtube that's a solid alternative. It's not nearly as tanky as Barb though, but it's a strong 1 shot 1 kill build.

Also a big tip against the Destrons: If you haven't already I'd recommend crafting weapons that ignore a portion of Machine type armor. If can be a huge help in actually damaging the bloody things. Also EMP's are great.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 26, 2021

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Alisa's Barb isn't great against the crabs

Speaking of the crabs other than kylie and giselle's flare/scanner can anything else be done about burrowed crabs

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SpRahl posted:

Speaking of the crabs other than kylie and giselle's flare/scanner can anything else be done about burrowed crabs

Anne or Bianca's Witch classes can use The Third Eye of Witch to do it. Gold Tongue, Wing and Molar have a unique genetic mastery that gives them a position exposed aura.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The last big patch came with a new story mission and Alisa's backstory.
I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the style of the last few missions they released. They try to increase difficulty by splitting the team but it just feels cheap. I lost every character except for Heixing, Irene and my lvl 50 Frost Draki Prince, who apparently is an immortal death god. Why would you be able to heal 60% of your HP per kill?

I'm only playing on normal and it seems every enemy can either one shot you or get up to 99% dmg reduction, or both. I'm looking at you, sledgehammer clowns.

Nevertheless, game still good!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It does feel like they are tuning difficulty for the min maxed builds people have come up with.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I feel that's the situation for the Violent cases (Schwartz Destron is 100% a counter to the very popular responsive fire builds on Heixing and Giselle), the story missions are comparatively easier. Usually when I am getting my rear end kicked in scenario missions it is a call to give a long hard look at underperforming characters' mastery boards.

I did enjoy Giselle & Ray's day out, but I am pretty meh on the most recent one, mostly because I am tired of clowning on Clowns. Thankfully it seems like the next scenario mission will involve mercs trying to assassinate Alisa while Bianca and her are investigating the paintings, so we should have some neat enemy variety. Hopefully we will have a showdown with Ben after that, since it should be the final story mission for the DLC and I can't handle anymore hanging plot threads.

Also Alisa and Bianca are the cutest videogame couple.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Yeah, I've been somewhat disappointed in the DLC scenario mission design. All clowns all the time is not too exciting an enemy composition. There are technically three different clown enemy types, but functionally they all seem to be "nasty melee bruiser -- stay away!" Compare the White Tigers, who had a bunch of different threats and the general synergy pattern of "get bleeding, pile on."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Clowns are definitely the least interesting enemy faction to fight. Even early game Spoonists had a split between melee dudes, casters and gun users. Hell, friggin' Dorori are a more varied subfaction than those guys.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I started playing this recently not expecting much besides a XCOM clone with maybe a couple interesting mechanics to change it up, but this game has definitely exceeded my expectations. Even with the rough translation, I'm gotten really invested in the characters and world, and it's neat that even the enemies have their own fleshed out stories and motivations. It's clear that this game was made with a lot of ambition and heart, and I love that a lot.

Edit: Oh gently caress, Albus just walked down an alley and got lit up by a chain of Support Fire. I guess the game stopped loving around.

Edit 2: On the DLC missions now and everyone is so drat tanky. How the heck am I supposed to get past Final Resistance?

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 24, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, it is inverse to XCOM in that the late game is way harder and actually requires you to use all the broken powers you collected through the game for something other than a victory lap.

The only real way to get through Final Resistance is to make sure the enemies with it are taken out by someone with enough damage to make sure they won't enter the last third of their HP. Bianca and Sion are the easiest ones to build around it.

Also, some news on the future of the game.

The tl;dr is that they intend to finish the White Lion and Black Witch by October with two scenario missions and one violent case. Next update is scheduled for the 17th of this month.

They are also working on the "Joint Training" mode, which will let people smash their characters against the police and other troubleshooters, so MP, but there will be an offline mode for it against NPCs as they know there aren't enough active players to maintain an active MP community. It will also eventually feature Beast and Drone matches. They are aware it is not something people are really asking for, but it is part of their vision for the game, so

Before starting the second season they are planning on additional paid DLC in a similar scale to the last one.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Hey folks, is there a way to take my online save offline?

I completed the base game and I kinda want to do some crafting, but my god is it expensive and tedious. It'd be so much better if I could just give myself a whole bunch of materials with a save editor.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Hipster Occultist posted:

Hey folks, is there a way to take my online save offline?

I completed the base game and I kinda want to do some crafting, but my god is it expensive and tedious. It'd be so much better if I could just give myself a whole bunch of materials with a save editor.

Steam forums say you should be able to download a copy by going through the main menus load screen. Select the save you want and there should be an option to download it.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Nice, a dedicated thread for this, hello SA- spoonies :discourse: The game is pretty great and I'm quite invested in min-maxing my gear and masteries and all that, it's all good. Except that I seem to have over-leveled this somehow :negative: So I'm not exactly sure how I should carry on with the game. My characters are 23-24 lvl (except Anne is 20). I'm not using the EXP related masteries except to close some obvious level gaps like currently with Anne. I play on "hard" (switched from normal after some 10 hours). I'm actually pretty casual with games so I don't even want some huge challenge to overcome, just want to have the intended experience. I already decided that I'm only doing red story missions and until I'm more or less at proper level for the content. I'm aware that I can use "cruel" or "challenge" mode for everything and all that but I don't want to have a million enemies to grind or underpowered "elites" with random masteries, I just want my characters at around the level of the story missions. I recall my next story mission is level 18 but it seems there's about one per level and at least Albus gains a level in pretty much every mission so I'm starting to wonder if it's even enough to only do story missions. I'm not even sure how it even came to this since I've done a "past mission" like once to test the challenge mode, and the level 15 violent case two times and that's about it.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 27, 2021

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
My memory is that you'll only feel like you're coasting for maybe a couple of story levels before the enemies will start rolling out with impulse fields and all sorts of overpowered combos so that despite the level numbers it'll get difficult again quickly. Maybe you're min-maxing harder than I was though.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

My memory is that you'll only feel like you're coasting for maybe a couple of story levels before the enemies will start rolling out with impulse fields and all sorts of overpowered combos so that despite the level numbers it'll get difficult again quickly. Maybe you're min-maxing harder than I was though.

I think I've read from various sources that things get trickier towards end of "chapter 3" so I should see it by then. Upgrading gear is always fun, but I will probably spend very little time with masteries until there's more to optimize for.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just mainline the story and you will get your rear end kicked again in no time.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just booted this up and simultaneously feel held back by the game drip feeding me mechanics and overwhelmed by the mechanics I'm given, at least in part cause it feels like some of them are waiting for me to uncover another Thing. Just finished this rad big brawl in the park where Sion was trying to enjoy a dumpling. Roughly how long till I should start feeling like I have a couple more choices and character building tools/a solid team? A lot of my missions rn feel like my two guys just hanging out while cooler and more powerful dudes do cool poo poo. All the fun character building stuff I see seems to be locked. Should I just be gunning for red and yellow missions?

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 6, 2021

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I just booted this up and simultaneously feel held back by the game drip feeding me mechanics and overwhelmed by the mechanics I'm given, at least in part cause it feels like some of them are waiting for me to uncover another Thing. Just finished this rad big brawl in the park where Sion was trying to enjoy a dumpling. Roughly how long till I should start feeling like I have a couple more choices and character building tools/a solid team? A lot of my missions rn feel like my two guys just hanging out while cooler and more powerful dudes do cool poo poo. All the fun character building stuff I see seems to be locked. Should I just be gunning for red and yellow missions?

Yeah, I would only do red (plot) missions until you get your third or fourth party member. You can always turn on the difficulty scaling and go back for blue missions later.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Mainline story missions and only do sidestuff when you feel like it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, the sidestuff gets more interesting to do when you tell all the cops to gently caress off and then play them with a full team and more mechanics.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The last violent case of the FLC came out yesterday and it throughly kicked my rear end, loving it. They've also added another optional difficulty modifier that increases boss drops and makes the game even harder if you've minmaxed all your squad and want an extra challenge.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I launched the game for the first time in a while and the new armor sets I’ve seen look cool. Especially the machine one since I’m stubborn and keep using engineer. Time to build an army of emergency drive robots

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The new mission is suitably hard, which is good. It may just be the awkward map and all those bloody robots though. Ben goes down pretty easily as long as you can wait out his immortality but the bots are hard now that they ignore EMP's. I almost managed to beat the map but the new Destron got a lucky crit on Leton who was otherwise soloing it.

The Barbarian set has some great benefits, being able to hit everyone with anger strike is huge. Losing all the speed the Golden Set gives really hurts though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Managed to clear the new map on the third attempt. I brought Graffiti on Ray to clear Ben's immortality and eventually got it down to just an invincible Irene vs an invincible Improved Destron.

We kicked the poo poo out of each other for 15 minutes before I realised I could just run away and he'd run out of fuel chasing me. :doh:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Beat the new map first attempt, and with the only casualties Alisa and my pet Draki. Channeled by inner Beaglerush and had everyone hide in a tower while Invincible Irene tanked three (!!!!) Destrons (probably been posted, but if you put a Draki's Fancy Scale on standard Battlemage Irene, any attack strong enough to trigger Impulse Fields will immediately give Irene a turn to attack, blow her stacked charges and heal to full). Also shoutout to Sion, the only one who could consistently damage them, and that White Mage/Rock Castle/reaction healing Anne from upthread, who kept everyone's HP up from all the incidental retaliations and swarming drones. Was an absolutely slog, worsened because I had reaction fire builds on Heixing and Giselle, which was worse than useless against all these Destrons and auto-dodging drones. But got there in the end, Blut Destron ran out of fuel with reaction shots, Schwartz eventually ate a shutdown , and the Improved Schwartz got worn down by good old Sion in the end. Ben was the last one standing, but never got within walking range of my firing line.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is there a good recap of the story anywhere? i got everything, but it would be nice to have a refresher.
it would be nice if case records let you just watch the cutscenes and not do the missions.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I only made it like 2 missions trying to keep making the engineer dream work before coming to terms with reality and going back to hacker with the 2 piece set.

My favorite parts of the patch are probably berserker seal and the resistance shot mastery/set. Was kinda unsure about it at first since it was responsive fire with an AT cost but with blood red bullet he’s basically ranged Albus when it comes to stealing his turn back. Wiping out clowns even on cruel challenge with high risk/reward and paranoia on.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Could someone post a decent build for Leton? I tried to make him a Superstar, but he was pretty mediocre there (probably because I didn't learn the mechanics), and I've since tried to make him a Martial Artist tank type, but the last three runs he has been 1) Eaten by a Negoori 2) One-shot by a regular crabmit and 3) one-shot by a sniper. So that's clearly not working!

Barbarian set Alisa question -- do people think it's better to get all five items for the full set bonus, or stick with three? The offensive power you get from all five is great, but I find myself really missing the red Draki scale accessory that prevents flanked/exposed and reduces crit damage.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

demonic

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

Barbarian set Alisa question -- do people think it's better to get all five items for the full set bonus, or stick with three? The offensive power you get from all five is great, but I find myself really missing the red Draki scale accessory that prevents flanked/exposed and reduces crit damage.

imo get all five pieces of the set, then slot in Keen Senses into Alisa.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just gave her so much Armor that she doesn't care about being crit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Smiling Knight posted:

Could someone post a decent build for Leton? I tried to make him a Superstar, but he was pretty mediocre there (probably because I didn't learn the mechanics), and I've since tried to make him a Martial Artist tank type, but the last three runs he has been 1) Eaten by a Negoori 2) One-shot by a regular crabmit and 3) one-shot by a sniper. So that's clearly not working!

I am going to second this, Leton is probably my weakest character right now.