Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Final Fantasy XII is the best FF. I've made peace with dying on this hill years ago.

EDIT: Tactics is the best if we're including spin-offs and it's not even close.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've played Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3 and none of them were very good. Tactics is superb, though

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Looper posted:

i only ever see olds talk about 6 these days. if i had to guess the top three FFs, I'd go with 7, 10, and 14

time to rank them, everybody

Tactics > 7 > 5 > 10 > 12 > 4 > 10-2 > 9 > 6 > Mystic Quest > 8 > 1 > 2 and I haven't played played or don't care about ranking the rest.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd say my only complaint is the amount of cutscenes. It's nice, but there are times you feel like you can't move 2 minutes without someone piping up.

Full FF list of the games I've played so far.

6, 7, 10, 4, 9, 1, 8, 5, 2, 3.

You will notice I am not a fan of job systems. They are undeniably fun, but they often give me choice paralysis.
6 has the best villain, an excellent story, shockingly good characterization too boot.
7 is rather epic, has better characterization than 6 but a crappier villain, and a more refined version of 6's gameplay.
10 I've enjoyed so far for the good characters, story, and graphics, I've also just enjoyed it more at first glance than 8 or 9 (though I may've been burned out by then).
4 introduced me to Dragoons my favorite class and it's a bit wild where it goes. I like it a lot.
9 was better than I expected and I really enjoyed the story for the most part and the characters' growth, gameplay was slow and I hated skills via items.
1 is clunky but I think it nails it with giving you the chance to choose your classes and go from there. I've played the updated versions which smooth out some of its rougher edges.
8 is ridiculously ambitions and stupid as poo poo, but it grew on me nonetheless. I love the soundtrack.
5 has an amazing jobs system, but I'm not a fan of that style.
2 is weird as poo poo, but neat in its weirdness.
I played the DS version of 3. It was fine.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Anyone excited for GTA trilogy on the switch! I'm ready for it (but due to those leaked screen shots, I'm waiting to see a review before I buy).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's weird that they're releasing the GTA trilogy so quickly after announcing it but without showing very much.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
the best Final Fantasy games are X-2 and Theatrhythm Curtain Call, any rankings after that are irrelevant

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ff7 is the only final fantasy game that i beat. i loved tactics but had an all-mage party that basically got bodied at some point and i didnt wanna train up a more diverse party. ff8 was boring. i loved ff9 but stopped playing it for whatever reason.

i got a ps2 when i went to college for ff10 and GTA (and DVDs), but just sort of lost interest in 10 after a bit

i bought ff9 for switch to replay it. i got farther but lost interest again somewhere around the mage village

i think that i want to like final fantasy games more than i actually like them. that probably goes for jrpgs in general. probably won't stop me from buying SMTV on sale and then stopping half way through, though. as a true gamer i never learn from my mistakes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's weird that they're releasing the GTA trilogy so quickly after announcing it but without showing very much.

LionArcher posted:

Anyone excited for GTA trilogy on the switch! I'm ready for it (but due to those leaked screen shots, I'm waiting to see a review before I buy).

Very excited but yeah it's a bit suspicious. That said I'm going to wait for a sale. I've got plenty to deal with at the time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
10, 6, 7, 12, 5, 4, 9, 13, 15, 8, 1, 3, 2

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Loved
VII:R
XIV: Shadowbringers
VI
VII

Enjoyed
XIV: Stormblood
XIV: Heavensward
V
XIV: A Realm Reborn

Didn't finish
XII
XIII

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Who's the dumbass that posts in this thread every once in a while about how they wish they could buy mario kart 8 but it's not on sale so they refuse? Here you go

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1456771380926566406?s=20

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
smh imagine not having had mario kart since day 1 of owning a switch

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Seriously!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

smh imagine not having had mario kart since day 1 of owning a switch

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I've never actually beat a Final Fantasy ( I don't beat most games, I wander off a lot).

I'd say from the ones I played a fair bit

9 > 7 > 5 > 12 > 10 > 1

Feels weird to rank 14 because it's an MMO which makes it simultaneously the best and worst game at different parts.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
From my briefer times play FF2 3 and 4 I'd rather play the old Dragon Quest games instead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cum jabbar posted:

I've played Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3 and none of them were very good. Tactics is superb, though

Its not until Super Nintendo that Final Fantasy really starts to find its footing and turns into the mega super popular franchise that it is today. The first three games were limited by the NES and it shows even in their remakes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played a ton of 11 and would rank it last. I remember bringing my PS2 on vacation because if I missed a day watering my plants they would die, and I had invested all my money into them saving up for a hat, which was a best in slot item for all classes.

I adored my 100 hours in 14, but had done a few years in WoW by that point and saw myself going down the path and pulled up. If they put it on Switch somehow I would probably play it forever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thankfully the Switch isnt powerful enough for FF14. It would be a poor choice to play it on. I could see myself wanting that too. Final Fantasy 11 on the other hand. That would be dangerous for me, I love that game way more than FF14.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

online mario party is so much fun
entire narrative arcs playing out in the form of stickers

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey has there been any confirmation on what will be on the GTA Trilogy cart?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Inzombiac posted:

I assume the GTA Trilogy :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

I said come in! posted:

Thankfully the Switch isnt powerful enough for FF14. It would be a poor choice to play it on. I could see myself wanting that too. Final Fantasy 11 on the other hand. That would be dangerous for me, I love that game way more than FF14.

yeah no way it could handle a ps3 game

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Augus posted:

online mario party is so much fun
entire narrative arcs playing out in the form of stickers

I made a Birdo rage quit the other day because I stole their star, they spammed the “why” sticker like ten times then disconnected. Pretty funny

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I am guessing three GTA games? :v:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Stux posted:

yeah no way it could handle a ps3 game

The PS3 version is no longer supported, please remember to do thorough research before making a post.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I said come in! posted:

I am guessing three GTA games? :v:

I'll be the cynical goon in the thread and claim at least one of the games will require downloading, and may even be on a one use code to do so.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I'll be the cynical goon in the thread and claim at least one of the games will require downloading, and may even be on a one use code to do so.

Actually I think youre probably dead on right about this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Zinkraptor posted:

The PS3 version is no longer supported, please remember to do thorough research before making a post.

and

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I said come in! posted:

Actually I think youre probably dead on right about this.

Also see: The Resident Evil 4-6 collection.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Retailers have uploaded the box art already, and it has the "download required" banner on it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i used to own two switch cartridges. then i sold mario kart and bought it digital. now i own one cartridge

that's my story, like and subscribe for more!

oh! i started playing shovel knight the other day after having it for a good year+. it's super fun. i'm on the tinker knight's stage and it's obnoxious, but the prior stages have been mostly not too eff-you. i like how easy it is go just go back to an old level for a few thousand gold. i still get annoyed when i die before retrieving my gold (and i do not much care for the mechanic at all, tbh), but at least it's "easy come, easy go" and not "gently caress you". the armor that halves what you drop helps a lot

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
So I bought Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water off the E-shop thinking it was a re-master of the old PS2 games. Turns out it's a Wii-U game that I didn't even know existed. I know that's my fault and I should have read more carefully.

I really don't like motion controls and I'm playing on a switch lite. There's an option in the settings to turn them off, but then there's items you can't pick up without tilting the switch at an angle.

Is there a way around this? I know there's probably not without buying another controller.

I'm going to finish this game either way since I bought it...but I wouldn't recommend it.

E: is Rune Factory 5 still getting localized? I really liked the first 4 and was waiting for it. I don't get many chances to check game info anymore.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 7, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best final fantasy game is chrono trigger. The best dragon quest game is also chrono trigger

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CT is the best game in all genres that exist.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Treecko posted:

So I bought Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water off the E-shop thinking it was a re-master of the old PS2 games. Turns out it's a Wii-U game that I didn't even know existed. I know that's my fault and I should have read more carefully.

I really don't like motion controls and I'm playing on a switch lite. There's an option in the settings to turn them off, but then there's items you can't pick up without tilting the switch at an angle.

Is there a way around this? I know there's probably not without buying another controller.

I'm going to finish this game either way since I bought it...but I wouldn't recommend it.

E: is Rune Factory 5 still getting localized? I really liked the first 4 and was waiting for it. I don't get many chances to check game info anymore.

The shoulder buttons should rotate your frame around instead of the motion controls. Been playing it on PS5 this way.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

chrono trigger is almost as good as Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Treecko posted:

Comes out in the west March 2022

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/rune-factory-5-switch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Best Buy has a Sandisk 256gd microSD for $27.99 right now

My switch has become even more powerful