Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will never ever listen to this album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I dunno 6 minutes of Adele singing about drinking wine is intriguing

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Silk Sonic is fire

https://youtu.be/GG7fLOmlhYg

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Silk Sonic is a great project. It’s nice to finally find a Bruno Mars thing I like, he’s always had a good voice but I’ve never enjoyed his music really

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was worried that Bruno Mars was eventually going to run out of retro R&B to remake, and wondered what he'd do when he did run out.

Turns out, the answer was "Do it all again, but this time with Anderson .Paak".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This sounds like a Lonely Island song

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

She grabbed both Christine and Caroline Polachek for her new single? Wow its like Charlie XCX was looking at my recent spotify plays when she went looking for collabs. I thin I found both of those artists through SA at some point or another but still... awesome.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Superrodan posted:

She grabbed both Christine and Caroline Polachek for her new single? Wow its like Charlie XCX was looking at my recent spotify plays when she went looking for collabs. I thin I found both of those artists through SA at some point or another but still... awesome.

I'm excited to see Polachek when she opens for Dua Lipa

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

tie minus less than two hours to be wrecked by the ten minute version of all too well. I'm ready for it.

(I have a feeling the new red will be better than adele's album....)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LionArcher posted:

tie minus less than two hours to be wrecked by the ten minute version of all too well. I'm ready for it.

(I have a feeling the new red will be better than adele's album....)
I'm ready for the new Silk Sonic album, personally

e: As expected, it's good!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 12, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

10 min version

https://youtu.be/sRxrwjOtIag

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Just listened to the whole Silk Sonic album. It's amazing! I can't stop gushing over it!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This deserves a grammy.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Going through Taylor's version of Red and I'm about as lukewarm on the album as a whole as I was when it originally released. However this whole endeavor of hers has made me extremely excited for the 1989 release.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I don’t think the production on Red (Taylor’s Version) is a huge leap like it was for Fearless (Taylor’s Version). Her voice on the songs that aren’t production heavy is still much better. The bonus track with Phoebe is really good too, I’m still going through the other bonus tracks.

Bold take: Red kicks off with its two best songs and is up and down after that. The singles are fun, Starlight is an underrated jam, and All Too Well is suitably epic but the other ballads always felt interchangeable, especially the ones with Sheehan and Lightfoot.

Take about a certain 10 minute song: its fine. Obviously filling out the story is really interesting and there are some good lines in there (“sipping coffee like you were on a late night show” was my favorite) but I don’t think actual song benefitted from the length. I’m still very interested for the short tomorrow, I think it will make the song fit better

Edit: Better Man (Taylor’s Version) is incredibly cool and I would pay a million billion dollars to get a Taylor’s Version of This Is What You Came For

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 12, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

volts5000 posted:

Just listened to the whole Silk Sonic album. It's amazing! I can't stop gushing over it!

So good. Singles were absolutely the right choices but every song on here slaps. 777 and After Last Night are so good, Blast Off is a great finisher.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I don’t think the production on Red (Taylor’s Version) is a huge leap like it was for Fearless (Taylor’s Version). Her voice on the songs that aren’t production heavy is still much better. The bonus track with Phoebe is really good too, I’m still going through the other bonus tracks.

Bold take: Red kicks off with its two best songs and is up and down after that. The singles are fun, Starlight is an underrated jam, and All Too Well is suitably epic but the other ballads always felt interchangeable, especially the ones with Sheehan and Lightfoot.

Take about a certain 10 minute song: its fine. Obviously filling out the story is really interesting and there are some good lines in there (“sipping coffee like you were on a late night show” was my favorite) but I don’t think actual song benefitted from the length. I’m still very interested for the short tomorrow, I think it will make the song fit better

Edit: Better Man (Taylor’s Version) is incredibly cool and I would pay a million billion dollars to get a Taylor’s Version of This Is What You Came For

This lack of Holy Ground love will not stand.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LionArcher posted:

This lack of Holy Ground love will not stand.

You’re right Holy Ground is good

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1459029620393664516?s=20

https://twitter.com/400liv/status/1458668779852865547?s=20

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 12, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think it's possible to have a good ten minute pop song at any rate. That length is for prog rock only

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

She should get Olivia on one of the bonus tracks for 1989 or Reputation

:boom::boom::boom:

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 12, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DC Murderverse posted:

She should get Olivia on one of the bonus tracks for 1989 or Reputation

This would be adorable :3:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I think right now my favorite thing is watching people react to the 'weee' in the chorus of the new WANEGBT
https://twitter.com/NoraPrinciotti/status/1459034283956441089

My general impression is that I'm positive on most of the vault tracks (the Chris Stapleton one not so much), I love the ATW extended cut -- it's messy, it's unfocused, but god some of her turns of phrase -- but for most of the tracks I would rather listen to the original recording (I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between the Begin Again recordings though).

I nitpicked some stuff from the Fearless re-recording that I thought sounded like editing errors, and while I only really have one for Red, it's in (the 5-minute) All Too Well at ~1:17 -- where she goes 'And I might be okay but I'm not...'

She's got a similar sort of vocal flip in the original recording at that line, but in this recording it just sounds unnatural to me. idk

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 12, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the ‘weeee’ is funny as hell. helium chipmunk poo poo. generally another great re-recording but that was a very strange choice

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
New Red is good but most of the bonus tracks are pretty blah, Better Man is the only one that stands out on first listen. Expanded All Too Well is good in that it's more of a good thing but the shorter version definitely feels tighter

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Leave the Door Open lyrics everywhere say the line is “if you’re hungry, girl, I got filets”, but I SWEAR he’s saying “I got the Lays”. What do y’all hear?

My admission: I don’t get the love for All Too Well at all :( I think I Almost Do is by far the better ballad from Red

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

My admission: I don’t get the love for All Too Well at all :(

It's pretty much all from the oomph of 'so casually cruel in the name of being honest' for me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Silk Sonic album ruled. Now I’m listening to the 10 minute All Too Well and while I still don’t love the melody/music the lyrics really are so good. There’s some fantastic/brutal stuff in here, poo poo

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

I had to listen to the 10 minute ATW first and the new lyrics slap hard as hell good god

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That third verse is SO good

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I love Taylor Swift.

Red is the one I've been most excited for, as far as I'm concerned it's still the best music she's made. nthing that ATW (10 minutes) and Better Man are incredible.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Did a second listen and realised Nothing New is amazing

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Escobarbarian posted:

The Leave the Door Open lyrics everywhere say the line is “if you’re hungry, girl, I got filets”, but I SWEAR he’s saying “I got the Lays”. What do y’all hear?

I've definitely assumed it was "The Lays" since it came out

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Rarity posted:

Did a second listen and realised Nothing New is amazing

:same:

The new version of Girl At Home is much more of a bop and I still can't listen to Ronan without crying

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Having listened to ATW10 I still believe it was a meme that got out of hand rather than originally being 10 minutes long, but it is interesting as a look as to how the album could have been if she was re-producing the tracks rather than reproducing them.

But here's a question I've been thinking about: should the original producers get a producing credit for the Taylor's versions given that they are trying to mimic the original production?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I agree, cannot wait for 1989's rerelease-new versions of Blank Space? Wildest Dreams? Style?!

I'd be so happy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Junpei posted:

I agree, cannot wait for 1989's rerelease-new versions of Blank Space? Wildest Dreams? Style?!

I'd be so happy
It's the only older Swift album I care about, so yeah, I'll be interested to hear that one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did she not already release wildest dreams as a single

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

I've definitely assumed it was "The Lays" since it came out

This is how I’ve always heard it. I assumed Bruno saw how much money he got from Skippy when they used his name drop in Uptown Funk and went “well alright who else can I get some ad money from”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Charli XCX video

https://youtu.be/2tvW25Qu5WE