Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I currently have a Dell S2716DGR and was thinking of getting something at the same resolution/refresh rate but has HDR and hopefully better colors. I scratched the monitor slightly while moving between houses and was justifying replacing it.

Gotcha. I don't have monitor recommendations for you specifically, but I don't think there's anything inherently bad about HDR support in PC games compared to console games. It's just that monitors that can do proper HDR are all really on the pricey high-end side, while you're starting to see more and more TVs in the mid-range with passable support. I've been playing Forza Horizon 5 via PC the past couple days output to my TV with HDR on and it looks fantastic, but on my monitor (which is technically classified as "HDR capable" but really isn't) it looks like washed-out poo poo.

Its my understanding RTings.com is pretty good about what monitors they classify as good enough for HDR and what they don't, so I'd stick with that (or similar reputable sites) and ignore whether the monitor manufacturer says it's good for HDR or not. If it's in budget, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hey I know that a few people mentioned it before, but I want to really dive into how loving bad Faerie Solitaire Harvest is.

This is stage 2-2. It's incredibly early. You're going to notice I gave myself insane amounts of gold so I have all the upgrades, which is why this screen isn't full of cards which are upside down. I had to buy twenty levels of a skill to be able to get an actual clear picture of the board.

In FSH, the goal is to pair off identical cards, you get a bonus if they're the same color and keep doing that. If you can't make a pair, you have to draw cards in the three bottom slots (and you can pay currency to hold a fourth card in that extra slot). Go through the deck twice and stage ends. As far as I know, there's no undo key in this game either.

This map, one of the very first in the game, is just goddamn unsolvable a mass of the time, because you first have to go through 2 matches on that center stack to even open up the cross, and both of the left/right branches also have hidden cards underneath that keep THOSE from opening up quickly. The smaller stacks either sit there doing nothing OR vanish instantly depending on spread. If you have no upgrades (very likely at this point), you've got 2x runs of ~15 cards to try and make matches with to move the stage along, aiming to get the bar at the top to one of those stars.

You're not going to. If it's not the fact that you'll get hosed by likely only getting a few cards per entire deck rotation (because nothing guarantees you'll get them in an order that you can use them for the probably only 4-remaining cards on the board you have access to), you'll likely get reamed by the fact that, until you buy a bunch of skills, absolutely too many things cost money, including rerolling the board with a restart, using that save-a-card slot, etc. Here are other things on this screen which are only available because I had infinite money: the card previews on the draw. The counter of how many cards are left in the deck. The "5x" button in the corner that lets me paint a card to keep a combo going. Etc.

I thought I'd pick this back up and cheat to make it into a little gently caress-around title for after work and instead I'm just incredibly angry at how bad this is and how this company somehow couldn't figure out that when they made one game with generic fantasy art and some little bonus functions, we just wanted more of those, not seven different failed attempts to create an entire universe of plot based on one of the dev's fantasy stories they pulled from sale. Which isn't a joke, btw. That's a huge part of what took these games off the rails is one of them wrote a bigass lore bible for the Fae Universe and every single game since has tried to bring that vision to life through worse and worse casual games.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

They patched it so you can't just do chain melee kills anymore. Really sad

That’s really, really dumb. Were we having fun wrong? I loved the mobility and option to get close and murder the gently caress out of everything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I noticed that first person puzzler Superliminal got a multiplayer update of all things and wondered how the players would look like. After all it's a game that's pretty much devoid of arms, legs and pretty much any sign of life forms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6eY5VldDeM

I should have known it's chess pieces. Wearing glasses. I don't expect much of this update tho, there is NO WAY it's not going to crash every 15 minutes because of multiple players (ab)using physics. I imagine the devs didn't even bother with multiplayer puzzles that involve copying items, because that would be a recipe for server meltdowns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I decided to finally finish up Dusk as I never went through Episode 3 and goddamn it's fantastic. Every level is an experience and the dev went to town playing around with the game's mechanics.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

I use the Moonlight app on an Nvidia Shield TV to play my PC games on the TV and it's otherwise very good but HDR is quite a pain.

It's not possible to put the Windows desktop in HDR mode in a Moonlight session because my actual connected monitor is not HDR. What this means is that I can play games in HDR on my HDR TV only if the game does not check for Windows desktop HDR.

For example: Assassin's Creed Odyssey does not care if Windows is in HDR or not, so I am able to turn on HDR in that game (looks very nice). But Cyberpunk 2077 checks for Windows HDR so I can't turn on HDR in that game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I watched my girlfriend play through the whole Unpacking game in one go and it seems extremely good. The visual storytelling was completely unexpected but so well done.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Impressions of Scum: weirdly meditative, I love how in-depth the crafting and survival systems are? Given how much labor goes into building even a simple shelter this might be a dealbreaker for some but I found it incredibly satisfying.

I also love how the zombies are tied into the lore - they're "puppets", which is to say they're partly mechanical, they're the corpses of the previous players reanimated through science.

Also I died by eating an entire pumpkin, then drinking an entire bottle of water. My body just exploded from too much food, and that was that.

When we started playing SCUM one of our first experiences was my friend eating a whole watermelon and dropping dead soon afterwards. It used to fill your stomach immediately and you basically exploded.

The survival system is getting developed to be more complex all the time, they only recently added a working metabolism system and we still lacking stuff like proper diseases, clean/dirty water, windchill etc.

Also the devs have showcased modular base building system which will probably allow people to build all kinds of weird things instead of just rectangular fences.

e: as I wrote I've put a lot of hours in but I still love the excitement being in a town and suddenly hearing someone looting or shooting somewhere nearby. As someone who doesn't really play PVP or FPS games I'm definitely still not used to it and it always makes my heart beat a little faster.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 6, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TeaJay posted:

When we started playing SCUM one of our first experiences was my friend eating a whole watermelon and dropping dead soon afterwards.

Good if in-game, bad if irl

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How shameful would it be to play Dusk with a controller?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

play Dusk imho

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How shameful would it be to play Dusk with a controller?

I wouldn't but it's probably fine. They brought a few things over from the Switch version, one of which is auto-bunnyhop which is actually kinda nice even on kbm

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Palpek posted:

I decided to finally finish up Dusk as I never went through Episode 3 and goddamn it's fantastic. Every level is an experience and the dev went to town playing around with the game's mechanics.

Dusk is spectacular.

Have you played AMID EVIL?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone in the closed beta for Lost Ark? The videos make it look like a solid Diablo-like.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ragequit posted:

Anyone in the closed beta for Lost Ark? The videos make it look like a solid Diablo-like.

It's more of an MMORPG, but yeah the game is extremely good, and there are a lot of goons that are hyped for it. There is a thread for the game here too https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935840

Estel
May 4, 2010
Don't know if it's still active but watching 30 minutes of a Lost Ark stream on Twitch gives you a closed beta key.

Ragequit posted:

The videos make it look like a solid Diablo-like.

The game seems cool but the most important thing to know about Lost Ark is that it isnt' a Diablo-like. It's an MMO with arpg combat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are certainly elements of the game that work like an Action RPG, but its core design is an MMO. The big thing is that the loot is a traditional MMORPG design.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
That sounds fine to me, but it’s good to know it has MMO trappings. I’ll definitely give the thread a look.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Dusk is surprisingly fun. Except for Doom 2016, the whole retro-evolution subgenre of 90s bloody FPSes either seemed to rub me the wrong way (e.g. Wolfenstein) or went ways that I guess I could respect but didn't much like (e.g. Doom Eternal). I'm enjoying the Quake/Blood vibe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Play AMID EVIL too if you haven't.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Pierson posted:

I've found myself bouncing off Doom Eternal due it being an entirely new evolution from Doom 2016 when I guess all I really wanted was just More Doom 2016. I can appreciate what they want to do with the combat loop and managing tools and resources to keep killing but I just can't figure out if I enjoy it or not. I've made it to the second level and I dunno it just isn't grabbing me the way the first did, even if it is an objectively beautiful game.

I felt the exact same way!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

doom eternal is doom: Quake and thats why its objectively better than 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Anti-Hero posted:

Dusk is spectacular.

Have you played AMID EVIL?
Yeah, but I haven't finished it either, I'll get back to it the moment I'm done with Dusk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dusk is good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I finally started playing DUSK as I picked that up in the Steam Halloween sale (as part of the bundle w/ Golden Light and Dusk) and it is indeed amazing. I just played it for like the first seven levels straight and I'm gonna have to go back and find all these secrets.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Palpek posted:

Yeah, but I haven't finished it either, I'll get back to it the moment I'm done with Dusk.

The last episode is a bit of a trip. I loved it personally.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Might just be the prettiest metroidvania of all time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm one of the biggest HK fans here but i'd still argue the city of tears looks way better in motion than screenshots

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hear the music and the rain looking at this image.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to beat the Mantis Lords this time. I'm older and better at these games, and I have a controller!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Oxxidation posted:

i'm one of the biggest HK fans here but i'd still argue the city of tears looks way better in motion than screenshots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_s-zg1gLLk

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

*kronkishly* that'll work

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hollow Knight is really goddamn pretty, but I think piercing the Veil in Aquaria is hard to beat

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hollow Knight is just metroid for Nightmare Before Christmas type of bitches.

Now Ori on the other hand...that;s a game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The City of Tears is up there for me in terms of beautiful gaming moments with that bit in Journey where you're sliding fast through the buildings and the golden sunlight lances in.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Pierson posted:

I've found myself bouncing off Doom Eternal due it being an entirely new evolution from Doom 2016 when I guess all I really wanted was just More Doom 2016.

I had the same feeling at first. Put it on easy and keep going. Once you get the hang of it then increase the difficulty again. The game is worth seeing on easy at least.

Once it clicks you'll realize that they were absolutely right to do what they did. Doom eternal enhances the whole combat loop.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
God drat I am really loving Dusk. I'm on Episode 2 now and this is giving me mad Half Life 1 vibes and I'm here for it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I hosed up with turret placement :(

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Just finished playing Forgotten City and Sable back to back. I absolutely adore Outer Wilds and both games managed to scratch that itch in different ways.
Forgotten City for it's time loop mechanic, knowing a bit more about the story with each loop is rewarding. Sable for it's free form exploration, I had a few great moments where I stumbled on something big that left me in awe.

Neither game is perfect though, Forgotten City has some combat sections which left me thinking... 'why?' and the first half is much more intriguing than the second. Towards then end you're just going through the motions to get the proper ending.
Sable has some serious and frustrating bugs unfortunately. It also feels like it could do with a bit 'more' in terms of content. Some areas just feel like they were planning to add something cool but never did.

Overall would definitely recommend, had a blast with both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I love cruelty squad. It might my be my favorite game ever. Having beat that game into the ground I am sad and looking for something similar. Now I want to play hitman but I'm confused, I know there was like an episodic system and on steam there's hitman and hitman 2 and tons of other poo poo - what's the best thing to buy to just start into it?