Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

maybe i should "brainstorm" up some better posts

:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pioneer was a good format before they banned Leyline of Abundance instead of Nissa Who Shakes The World and didn't ban Inverter for like 9 months

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Pioneer was great specifically when Spirits was really popular and I was maindecking Hushbringer.

Kind of related: I heard on a podcast earlier, Faithless Brewing I think, that VOW cards aren't contracted legal on the 19th, the Vegas modern event. I had toyed with getting there in time to play that, without practicing, possibly with new cards in a T3 at best Vampire deck in a format I've barely played since they banned Faithless Looting, but I think I'll roll in later and try to practice the update deck in lower stake events. (Haha, stake. Vampire humor)

Something I do mean to do is get cards signed, Johannes Voss is one of the guests so I need to look up if I have stuff besides Thalias and Blood Artists for him, sure I have some stuff for rk post too. It's my first time doing this, and I think it's just for tips rather than a formal pricing system or anything, any guidelines on what I should tip?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Don't know about the tips. Maybe ask around when there? Last time I had cards signed was around Ice Age, at an LGS.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 7, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Don't know about the tips. Maybe ask around when there? Last time I had cards signed was around Ice Age, at an LGS.

I love this Plains and I’m really happy I have one.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Same. The Jumpstart lands were a slam dunk on collectibles.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

BizarroAzrael posted:

Something I do mean to do is get cards signed, Johannes Voss is one of the guests so I need to look up if I have stuff besides Thalias and Blood Artists for him, sure I have some stuff for rk post too. It's my first time doing this, and I think it's just for tips rather than a formal pricing system or anything, any guidelines on what I should tip?

Most artists have set up/moved to actual pricing rather than just relying on tips from my experience. Generally the artist will have a sign or something set up at their table that has their prices(X per card/cards, Y for this fancy double signature, etc.). Some still don't, but the majority of ones I can recall do. Of course, even if they didnt have an actual pricing set up, you still tipped (or bought a print, or a mat, etc.) because don't be an rear end in a top hat. I generally did a dollar a card iirc? It's been a while, even pre-Covid so I don't remember the exacts.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Arivia posted:

Okay, there are literally no W/B 1 or 2 CMC spells that create a creature token immediately for Kaya to curve off of (at least that I see looking at the spoiler maybe I missed something). Honestly what the hell Wizards? There's got to be some kind of a Development fuckup there for sure.

Wizards not doing this and printing easier ways to kill planeswalkers was the correct decision

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

Okay, there are literally no W/B 1 or 2 CMC spells that create a creature token immediately for Kaya to curve off of (at least that I see looking at the spoiler maybe I missed something). Honestly what the hell Wizards? There's got to be some kind of a Development fuckup there for sure.
Also I guess usher the fallen turn 1, boast turn 2, kaya turn 3? I don’t think she is amazing tho.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

BizarroAzrael posted:

)

Something I do mean to do is get cards signed, Johannes Voss is one of the guests

I lol'ed when I saw his twitter profile picture was that weird looking satyr in the background of Gallia of the Endless Dance.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Fritzler posted:

Also I guess usher the fallen turn 1, boast turn 2, kaya turn 3? I don’t think she is amazing tho.

Play Abzan, ranger class on turn 2, chariot on turn 4 using Kaya's -2 ability. Between the pathways and the full set of the new dual lands it's not impossible.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Jadar makes a lot of tokens!

They don't last!!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Does anyone know of a Modern legal card like Melt Down? I'm looking for a cheap way to kill multiple artifacts at once.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

HootTheOwl posted:

Does anyone know of a Modern legal card like Melt Down? I'm looking for a cheap way to kill multiple artifacts at once.

Closest I can think of is By Force, which isn’t nearly as good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

Shattering spree?

E: looks like you're looking at 4+ mana for mass artifact wipes, nothing that kills cheap artifacts cheaply.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 8, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HootTheOwl posted:

How cheap? Shatterstorm costs 4 and prevents Regeneration.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Vandalblast at least doubles as single-target for cheap.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just wanna brag for a minute because I bought a random lot of Magic cards off Mercari for $13 and it ended up containing a Pitiless Plunderer, a Mishra's Bauble and the oversized Edgar Markov card

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Granulate destroys all nonland artifacts with mana value 4 or less for 2RR. Shatterstorm destroys all artifacts for 2RR. Shattering Spree is R with a replicate cost of R. By Force (xR) destroys x artifacts.

And if you go outside of red, there's Creeping Corrosion for 2GG (all artifacts).

I don't believe there's any other mass artifact wipe for cheaper than 4, unless they all have the same name and then you can go with Echoing Ruin (1R).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't played Modern in a while, but this weekend after some guy blew up all my poo poo in a commander game with a replicated Shattering Spree he told me that it was the best Artifact removal spell in Modern right now and it's why he's put it in all his red decks.

Meltdown would be a nice one to have in Modern, I love that card. Probably less strong in formats where you're not incidentally blowing up a bunch of treasures and rocks tho lol

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 8, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TotalHell posted:

Closest I can think of is By Force, which isn’t nearly as good.
Yeah, I would just play Vandal Blast or One of the Shatterstorms at 4 then

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Shattering spree?
Spree would work but I'm only splashing red. Mostly black deck.

Lone Goat posted:

How cheap? Shatterstorm costs 4 and prevents Regeneration.
Ideally I'd be able to answer all 3 Urza artifacts for 3 or less mana. Shatterstorm just seems like one mana too much

disaster pastor posted:

Vandalblast at least doubles as single-target for cheap.
This might be it. Chalice is on the decline, and I haven't really been accounting for it in my SB anymore anyways. I played Shenannigans for a while when I needed an answer to both.

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

I don't believe there's any other mass artifact wipe for cheaper than 4, unless they all have the same name and then you can go with Echoing Ruin (1R).
Echoing Ruin might be too cute

fadam posted:

Meltdown would be a nice one to have in Modern, I love that card. Probably less strong in formats where you're not incidentally blowing up a bunch of treasures and rocks tho lol
I keep coming back to this too. Melt down is exactly what I want. To just cast on X=2 and ruin Hammer Time / Saga deck's day.

Thanks for all the help goons.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Shattering spree is the best because it gets around chalice of the void on 1

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I’m not sure if it’s been discussed - but does it seem odd to anyone else that the Flesh and Blood tournaments Channel Fireball ran recently have video coverage on twitch for relatively small events yet they aren’t doing any video coverage for the upcoming Vegas MTG extravaganza? Could it be that Channel Fireball has a financial stake in FAB? I know they were one of the first places selling their product

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

I’m not sure if it’s been discussed - but does it seem odd to anyone else that the Flesh and Blood tournaments Channel Fireball ran recently have video coverage on twitch for relatively small events yet they aren’t doing any video coverage for the upcoming Vegas MTG extravaganza? Could it be that Channel Fireball has a financial stake in FAB? I know they were one of the first places selling their product

Its a new product that probably has a very good return. Their tournaments also have zero expectations for coverage where mtg... maybe its higher.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Its a new product that probably has a very good return. Their tournaments also have zero expectations for coverage where mtg... maybe its higher.

If that is the reason, it stinks.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was looking forward to possibly seeing a friend make horrible play mistakes on camera round 1.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DangerDongs posted:

I was looking forward to possibly seeing a friend make horrible play mistakes on camera round 1.

You'll just have to text them and use your imagination

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Are the FAB events local? Traveling with equipment is a pain and costs money, if your stuff is already in the venue and you know how to set it up it's a lot easier to start broadcasting things.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Officially going to my first modern tourney on Wednesday 😬

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just want to say good luck.
We're all counting on you.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell yea king. Size? What deck you playing?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Hell yea king. Size? What deck you playing?

Boros burn since it was relatively cheap to put together and is dummy simple lol. Here’s what I’m running:

3 Arid Mesa
3 Inspiring Vantage
3 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Scalding Tarn
4 Sunbaked Canyon
1 Wooded Foothills
4 Boros Charm
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skewer the Critics
2 Skullcrack
Sideboard:

2 Deflecting Palm
2 Exquisite Firecraft
2 Kor Firewalker
3 Path to Exile
2 Roiling Vortex
1 Skullcrack
3 Smash to Smithereens

The guy at my LGS said they get good turnout for modern, up to 20 people sometimes.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Dias posted:

Are the FAB events local? Traveling with equipment is a pain and costs money, if your stuff is already in the venue and you know how to set it up it's a lot easier to start broadcasting things.

They did one in Vegas a monthish ago and the one last weekend was in Florida - maybe they’re just letting whoever is actually doing the coverage stream on their twitch channel I suppose?

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
good luck playing modern burn goon sir we are counting on you

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ah, burn. A man of culture I see.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Boros burn since it was relatively cheap to put together and is dummy simple lol. Here’s what I’m running:

3 Arid Mesa
3 Inspiring Vantage
3 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Scalding Tarn
4 Sunbaked Canyon
1 Wooded Foothills
4 Boros Charm
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skewer the Critics
2 Skullcrack
Sideboard:

2 Deflecting Palm
2 Exquisite Firecraft
2 Kor Firewalker
3 Path to Exile
2 Roiling Vortex
1 Skullcrack
3 Smash to Smithereens

The guy at my LGS said they get good turnout for modern, up to 20 people sometimes.

Hell yeah dude, playing the deck that cool, hot people play. Good luck

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks everyone. I’m open to suggestions for anything I should consider adding or sideboarding or whatever. The fetch lands were the last thing I splurged for once I realized how much of a disadvantage I’d be without them

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

With 4 horizon lands I think its correct to play 20 lands. I also dont think exquisit firecraft is all that good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

With 4 horizon lands I think its correct to play 20 lands. I also dont think exquisit firecraft is all that good.

What would you suggest instead of firecraft? And what to sub out for a 20th land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What would you suggest instead of firecraft? And what to sub out for a 20th land

maindeck skullcrack has always seemed like a bit of a dud to me, not a lot of lifegain in game 1s and it's not going to be apparent which turn you need to be holding mana up for it

local weekly stuff is always a crapshoot when it comes to sideboarding because the meta can differ wildly from what's getting played competitively. definitely look around between rounds and get an idea of what's popular there