Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

I can't even handle this anymore. There are a few gaming bars that will show stuff like League of Legends tournaments. You know, games that legitimately have millions of players and large cash prizes. There are zero places that would do this.

poo poo really? I'm right around backer #2500 and I do indeed have some stupid citizen card in my desk somewhere. I've even got that digital Golden Ticket for the initial GDC Online thing, and all kinds of commemorative digital gear like statues and coins.
Where would I find someone to buy this?

I just looked it up

I was backer number 6,177 on the kickstarter, and I 'pledged' $30

I sold the account in its entirety on the black market , for I believe it was $250 , may have been slightly more.... it was the amount to cover the cost of the Elite Dangerous Alpha/Beta and all future DLC's. That much I remember :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/imoFSKF.gifv

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

This catte is punching above its weight

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Is it legally mandated somewhere that every time there is footage of Croberto at a computer he can only awkwardly press a single key on the keyboard while simultaneously looking like he's never seen a computer before?

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
No, it's pure natural talent.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1456459726703767571

SC = buy endgame ships with $, take some screenshots, do nothing to avoid bugs and tedium, wait for another spaceship jpg to buy with $, repeat

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 7, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I think ol Lethality needs to maybe go outside or something, like take a break from video games man.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

DreadUnknown posted:

I think ol Lethality needs to maybe go outside or something, like take a break from video games man.

i think he might be cursed or something. like a modern-day, digital age Sisyphus, the boulder replaced by a blob of lovely games

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DreadUnknown posted:

That does sound pretty sad. I often feel the same way with games in general, like I feel like I want to play something but no game interests me, but then I snap out of it and do something else for a while, until I feel like gaming again. There's more to life.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

whatever you do, do not try to help him

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s exactly how a sizeable portion of the American population perceived the bullshit spewed by Donald Trump, so…

I’ve long seen a major overlap between Trump chuds and SC whales, maybe not in terms of politics but definitely in terms of cult-like insistence that everything is great actually and Dear Leader/Greatest Game is infallible and can only be failed.

100% this. Trump, Musk, and Cribbles are the holy trinity for nerdCHUDs who are all too willing to lavish praise on their heroes for their accomplishments (of saying they're going to do something someday).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Dwesa posted:

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1456459726703767571

SC = buy endgame ships with $, take some screenshots, do nothing to avoid bugs and tedium, wait for another spaceship jpg to buy with $, repeat

Did he not tweet about how great New World is like 2 days ago? It's the exact same MMO formula.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

lobsterminator posted:

That does sound pretty sad. I often feel the same way with games in general, like I feel like I want to play something but no game interests me, but then I snap out of it and do something else for a while, until I feel like gaming again. There's more to life.

I have the same thing happen, but I think its some part of my brain wanting to work on art or something.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Medical gameplay allow the most toxic PK behavior posted:

Step 1: Accept a revive mission

Step 2: Loot the guys you where supposed to help

Step 3: revive him

Step 4: over heal him so he fall in coma for at least 20 minutes

Step 5: get the gently caress out with the reward and all his stuff with no crime stat.

quote:

This is why you should just take the death instead of calling for a medic.

quote:

That would mean this entire new gameplay is to trash out just because of this little issue.

quote:

I don't consider staring at my screen for 20 minutes hoping a player decides to be nice to be "gameplay".

quote:

Well if those 20 minutes decide of whether or not you gonna drop all your stuff down or revive naked, while offering a nice social mission to a player I'm not opposed... on the paper at least

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Star Citizen: I'm not opposed... on the paper at least

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
is the game out now?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

is the game out now?

Just wait 20 minutes and see.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Have you tried going outside and experiencing real reality?

Actually nevermind- with his track record him saying "I tried real reality and it is awesome" will probably bring about the end times.

Also: Trump 2024

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So Crobber is playing the new CoD.... back to the drawing board for the SQ42 team tomorrow then!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

I'd like to know what kind of emergent gameplay somebody thinks is going to happen in a video game elevator if suddenly the elevator stops between floors and doesn't open.

I guess you... stand there? Wait until the power comes back maybe I guess at best?

Do people think there's going to be some fireman crew with crow bars jimmying open the doors between levels and holding out their hands to dynamically get players out?

Or will you just bunny hop against a corner until your character phases through the physics grid and you pop out on top of the map like a cool speed runner?

Also in terms of programming in general there's the brute force method vs doing it smart. What people are advocating here is brute force. It's like you want your Google search to take 12 hours and only return 2 results for "piano tutorial".

But you get what you want. SC tries to brute force things, mostly because I'm not sure if they know the algorithms and logic for why we don't do some things, and it all fails spectacularly. There's no benefit to any of it... it's just more broken.

You have a game that runs worse that claims to try to be space dwarf fortress but does none of it, and none of the underlying AI is anywhere outside of pretend YouTube videos where they are "considering deeply" how to achieve some goal in a game that even now runs at like 15-20 fps on gaming rigs with a maximum player count less than a fortnight match.

But I guess your elevator goes up and down because the guys programming it are dumb? And this is... good?

Buy some javelins! $1000! Punches above its weight! No it's not in game yet but consider it an NFT!

Having just played some Thief, I'd just assume the roof pops open and you can climb out into a jumping section!

but that's a scripted event in a playable video game.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Lol at any unironic use of AAAA Game. Is that like a buffer overflow and the quality laps back around?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden_...r%3D142lastpost

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Also: Trump 2024
Good point. If we could get Lethality to support Trump's 2024 campaign, we could finally see that fat orange son of a bitch 6 feet underground once and for all.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

This is so bad. In GTA 4, released (in full) in 2008, that body would have played a better, more dynamic animation while also using the ragdoll physics engine to fall down the stairs while doing so.

Over 400 million dollars and this? WOW - Ok, that's most likely never been done before!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

consistently the best posts in the thread

no offense to anyone else it's just everything about this game is cursed and horrible

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bootcha posted:

So... cheating in SC...

It's mostly relegated to Star Marine, mostly auto-aim and wall-hacks. I mean, it's a CryEngine game, and CryEngine games a rife with cheat software made for multiplayer. Clear cut competitive reasons.

Once in awhile, someone makes a cheat that works in the main SC multiplayer universe. Assigning crime stats, exploding sucker chariots, ruining immersion, basically running amuck. This is the overwhelming reason people cheat in the PU: To gently caress around with other people, because that's more interesting than playing the game as intended.

Up to this point, the only way CIG has been able to deal with cheating is anecdotal evidence submitted by people who witness the event. CIG has been exceedingly slow in developing data collection and parsing tools when it comes to abnormal player behavior.

To be fair, a vast majority of the bug reporting and data collection has been anecdotal evidence submitted by people who witness the event.

Well my challenge to you Bootcha is to tell me what is "abnormal player behavior" in Star Citizen! Is it cutting up bodies to fit more in a locker OR not cutting up bodies? Is it complaining about a second wine glass next to your bed OR putting lots of wines glasses that you have collected from caves and forest that other players have left for a scavenger hunt next to your bed? Is it taking a elevator from level 6 to the ground floor OR taking an elevator and falling through the ground?

I mean, you can't expect a small, independent studio, on such a tight budget to be able to deal with such complex issues - Chris Roberts is only one sexy bear/thumb/Steve Jobs/Hollywood director/Swedish Mob money launderer/equal to Rockstar Games (maybe) guy.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Fain80 posted:

Can you imagine trying to explain this thing to a federal agent? You buy what now? WhAts Reddit. Wait you buy a fake spaceship, then turn it into fake money, then someone gives you real money for your fake money because they want to buy fake spaceships?

Nonono it's a pledge for a concept of a fake spaceship

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Regarde Aduck posted:

consistently the best posts in the thread

no offense to anyone else it's just everything about this game is cursed and horrible

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ActualShorttermAtlanticblackgoby-mobile.mp4

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

lol oh man, no mans sky, that ironically aged pretty well

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Is MoMA/toast still around? Like... does he still post anywhere on SA?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Time_pants posted:

Is MoMA/toast still around? Like... does he still post anywhere on SA?

He comes every year or so to say hi but that's about it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

trucutru posted:

He comes every year or so to say hi but that's about it.

Makes sense. It's not like we have a belt Kickstarter megathread.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Lol what the gently caress is actually happening here

The engine probably thought this spaceman was hit by the train.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The Titanic posted:

I'd like to know what kind of emergent gameplay somebody thinks is going to happen in a video game elevator if suddenly the elevator stops between floors and doesn't open.

I guess you... stand there? Wait until the power comes back maybe I guess at best?

Do people think there's going to be some fireman crew with crow bars jimmying open the doors between levels and holding out their hands to dynamically get players out?

Or will you just bunny hop against a corner until your character phases through the physics grid and you pop out on top of the map like a cool speed runner?
They simply don't understand that someone would still need to design and code the game in a way that would allow such 'emergent gameplay', e.g. you can create calculator in Minecraft with various elements available in-game, but someone had to code those elements first so you can toy with them. Complex or novel 'emergent gameplay' comes from simple mechanics and tools available in game. Quake devs did not expect players to use rocket jumping and thought it would be suicidal, but it is commonly used.
CIG devs are not making game that would allow such gameplay. Sure, the elevator is not just a simple teleport, but it's not done to enable new gameplay options, it's for the sake of meaningless 'fidelity' and if you step outside, you will probably just glitch and fall to death in the void or something. New 'medic' mechanics in SC allow overdosing other players, which is a good example of emergent gameplay... but whales are actually frustrated with it and I think it will be 'fixed' soon.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Dwesa posted:

They simply don't understand that someone would still need to design and code the game in a way that would allow such 'emergent gameplay', e.g. you can create calculator in Minecraft with various elements available in-game, but someone had to code those elements first so you can toy with them. Complex or novel 'emergent gameplay' comes from simple mechanics and tools available in game. Quake devs did not expect players to use rocket jumping and thought it would be suicidal, but it is commonly used.
CIG devs are not making game that would allow such gameplay. Sure, the elevator is not just a simple teleport, but it's not done to enable new gameplay options, it's for the sake of meaningless 'fidelity' and if you step outside, you will probably just glitch and fall to death in the void or something. New 'medic' mechanics in SC allow overdosing other players, which is a good example of emergent gameplay... but whales are actually frustrated with it and I think it will be 'fixed' soon.

They've gotten all tangled up with what 'emergent gameplay' even means. They seem to want CIG to plan the emergent gameplay, which is missing the whole point isn't it.
A problem that CIG is going to endlessly encounter is that they want to provide an open-ended 'simulation' game but they, and much of the hardcore citizenry, don't want people to play it 'wrong'.

No running allowed in places where it wouldn't be normal to run.
No shooting guns or taking out weapons in places where it's not legal.
No overdosing people with healing.
No anti-social behaviour.

If people can do a thing in a game, they will do it. You either let it happen or lock everything down so much that emergent gameplay isn't possible.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

They've gotten all tangled up with what 'emergent gameplay' even means. They seem to want CIG to plan the emergent gameplay, which is missing the whole point isn't it.

Ah, so this is like "dynamic events" which consists of static, planned ahead, organized by CIG event

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

peter gabriel posted:

is the game out now?

Server meshing
Early days
Buy an Idris
Burma Shave

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Fan fiction

:reddit: posted:

Favorite SC game design/mechanic that you wish other games adopted

So, let's assume SC finishes by 2028 and it's as game changing for the industry as we expect it to be. What gameplay mechanic or game design idea that SC/SQ42 does that you'd like to see adopted by more games going forward?

quote:

It is not a gameplay mechanic but that they leave us whole games, debugged and which live up to the promises. It will not be bad already.
The releases of no man sky and Cyberpunk have been so horrible.

quote:

Actually 'intending' to finish the game before releasing it/transparent development/community interaction.

So sick of games getting teased months before they release with some prerendered cgi trailer, we might get an open beta, anything at fault is far too far along to do anything about, its released, its dead on arrival, we'll get a patch in X amount of months but then the damage is done, rinse repeat.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 8, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dwesa posted:

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1456803746487234564

*looks at keyboard to find the key* "Yes, I'm a gamer, I'm playing Star Squadron or something... no, you can't see the screen, why do you ask."

This man's posture is the purest imitation of Hans Moleman I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I hope this doesn’t sound too strange to point out

But did anyone else notice that’s the same room they posted the “proof of life” video from , when Chris was still living in LA ?

I thought he moved to the UK to finish SQ42

Or maybe he’s just commuting every weekend on private jets

The backers will never know :grin: