Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lady Disdain posted:

Firstly, utterly badass.
Secondly, how on earth were these people catching marlin and great whites ?

Deep sea canoes, long lines, and an enormous amount of strength and endurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Deep sea canoes, long lines, and an enormous amount of strength and endurance.

And the least popular guy in the village serving as bait

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Also there used to be a lot more sharks and large fish :/

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

Firstly, utterly badass.

More impressive is that they found one in Illinois.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lady Disdain posted:

Firstly, utterly badass.

Some of the Polynesian ships were 30m long and manned by up to 200 people, they were significantly larger than the ships Magellan and Drake used to circumnavigate the world.

A 30m long multi-hulled outrigger ship would provide an excellent stable platform for spearing the gently caress out of great white sharks. :black101:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That's very interesting. Thanks.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

A precise application of brute force

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

-Zydeco- posted:

reminds me of picking crabs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mauser posted:

reminds me of picking scabs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

"Back over the line with you!"

Strikers facing off against militia, in Lawrence, MA.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:hmmyes:

my jam

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mmm. You hate unions, too, huh?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/_untuckedjersey/status/1455036486139760643

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Would be much better without the fake camera shake and screen splits

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

-Zydeco- posted:

Robots only behave like this under extreme stress :(

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

-Zydeco- posted:

Good Culture ROU ship name right here.

Biplane posted:

Robots only behave like this under extreme stress :(

This one is a good one too.

Ornamental Dingbat has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Nov 2, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/archeohistories/status/1456428904244072450?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That thing definitely traps your loving soul if you get stabbed with it.

Also re: the big robot arms, I dunno if I could live life if I knew how to control one of those, I would just face every situation thinking "man this would be so much easier if I had my giant robot arm"

Going shopping? Robot arm. Job interview? Robot arm. Traffic? Robot arm.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That is so loving cool

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

OwlFancier posted:

That thing definitely traps your loving soul if you get stabbed with it.

Also re: the big robot arms, I dunno if I could live life if I knew how to control one of those, I would just face every situation thinking "man this would be so much easier if I had my giant robot arm"

Going shopping? Robot arm. Job interview? Robot arm. Traffic? Robot arm.

Agreed. This is why the whole 'mechanical apartheid' conceit in the Deus Ex prequels is laughable, like augmented people would be subjugated somehow. Can't you just break your cages with your robot arms???

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Would robot limbs be subject to Asimov's laws ?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Robot arm, jerk me off until one of us dies.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

Robot arm, jerk me off until one of us dies.

Ugh…

I’ve asked you to stop calling me Robot arm

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

... I didn't say stop.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No means no all of you.

Just no.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Some caveman knew they were the most baller motherfucker on earth carrying this around. Such amazing craftsmanship, it always bugs me a little to hear stone tools described as primitive. I've tried basic flint knapping and it is bonkers hard to make even basic items, let alone possessing the skill to make something as incredible as this.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well I mean they are primitive. In a technological sense, that is. I don't think the term inherently excludes skill and craftmanship.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

“Hey anthropologists, stop calling cavemen primitive!”
“Sorry, sorry I’m trying to delete it”

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Some caveman knew they were the most baller motherfucker on earth carrying this around. Such amazing craftsmanship, it always bugs me a little to hear stone tools described as primitive. I've tried basic flint knapping and it is bonkers hard to make even basic items, let alone possessing the skill to make something as incredible as this.

in-fuckin-deed

https://twitter.com/AlisonFisk/status/1456974528681177096?s=20

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Lady Disdain posted:

Would robot limbs be subject to Asimov's laws ?

No! Your laws! That's literally the best part.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Christ. As I got closer to finishing that thing my heart-rate would be skyhigh. "Just one more chip, I'm sure it won't just shatter. Hmm, maybe just another small tap with this rock to get that edge looking better. Careful...."

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Gromit posted:

Christ. As I got closer to finishing that thing my heart-rate would be skyhigh. "Just one more chip, I'm sure it won't just shatter. Hmm, maybe just another small tap with this rock to get that edge looking better. Careful...."

A good knapper will know exactly how and where to apply pressure to avoid random shattering (barring the presence of an unknown imperfection in the material which can cause uncontrolled fractures). The final removals, like those little delicate flakes around the edges, would almost certainly done by pressure-flaking/retouch (basically careful pushing), probably with a soft-hammer of antler or a hard wood like boxwood. Pressure flaking is actually a lot easier than the initial removal of large flakes with a stone hard hammer. A friend I worked with who was an excellent knapper tried to teach me how to do it (we worked with slabs of glass rather than flint since that doesn't have the risk of imperfections in the material) and I could do retouch fine but never got my head around the angles and precise application of force needed for decent hard-hammer flake removal. :sigh:

Around the same time as that piece some even more staggering items were being made in Denmark. This was around the time that the first metal tools were coming into use in nearby groups and some absolute mad geniuses managed to knap flint copies of copper and bronze flat axes and blades even going as far as to replicate the completely non-functional casting seams around the edges. Mind blowing stuff. Learnt about this too long ago to remember a good search term to find images though sadly.

If you want to see a modern day genius knapper at work search youtube for "John Lord flint". The guy is incredible. Watched him make two gorgeous Lower Palaeolithic biface handaxes out of a large flint nodule once, took him about 45 minutes to go from a lump of raw material to the finished pieces chatting and joking with us the whole time. Great guy. Also a drat fine rhythm and blues singer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We get it, you knap

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d bookmark a knapping thread, just sayin

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Snowy posted:

I’d bookmark a knapping thread, just sayin

It's not something I'd bookmark but definitely a thread I'd chip away at when I got a bit of time.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I get all my flint tools from knappster.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
you wouldnt download a late neolithic flint dagger

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'd like to see someone develop a flintknapping robot. Strictly as an art project, I'm not expecting any serious demand.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

a neolithic tribesman from schleswig-holstein, putting the finishing touches on a ceremonial dagger: "mensch, das war knapp"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ELTON JOHN posted:

you wouldnt download a late neolithic flint dagger