Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Is the Fuji 35 f/2 a downgrade from the 1.4 other than the obvious higher max aperture? I have an old Xpro1 with a 35 1.4 that I haven't used in literally like, three or four years, thinking of unloading it. The Xpro1 is near worthless (in its condition I mean, still usable just dinged and with a dead internal capacitor or whatever) but the 35 1.4 is arguably still incredibly competent.

the 35/2 is perfectly cromulent (I used it for a bunch of walk-around stuff a couple weeks back and forgot how much I enjoy it), the size is nice, it's sharp and focuses quickly, and even going all the way to f/2 is enough for me.

but I haven't used the 35/1.4, and that's supposedly got all of the magic.

also I think they're still rolling new 35/1.4s off the factory line? I know you have it and having to re-buy something gets annoying, but it's not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Is the Fuji 35 f/2 a downgrade from the 1.4 other than the obvious higher max aperture? I have an old Xpro1 with a 35 1.4 that I haven't used in literally like, three or four years,

I think the V1 if the f/2 has an unusually loud focus motor, which makes it terrible for video, don't think you're using that for video

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

bagmonkey posted:

This has been stewing with me for a bit and I'm curious, are returns on the lenses free? Is it worth it to bargain hunt on these, especially if my photography budget is a bit slimmer?

"The return shipping cost is the responsibility of the customer and is non-refundable."

From their FAQs.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You just said zoom would be useful so this isn’t really a suggestion 100% matching your requirements but people were suggesting an x100 and I’d counter suggest the Ricoh GR III as it has a wider lens (about as wide as the wide angle on your rebel). It’s the only large sensor camera that’s really pocketable and also not more than $2000. A great street camera. But yeah, no zoom.

A Fuji xt20 with the 15-45 lens would be a good choice. Wider zoom than the canon and much smaller, with way better low light image quality and usability than the rebel, as others have mentioned.

Fuji XF10, though discontinued, is a pocketable APC-C camera too. Probably more of a direct competitor with the GR than the X100V is to some degree. I have the XF10 and X100V and love them both.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

I want to gently caress around with green screens so i can make dumb pictures, which means i need some continuous lights.

I dont need anything massive, or high end. I was looking around on amazon but who the gently caress knows what you get there. Im hoping for some recommendations.

Any reason you want continuous lights instead of strobes? Generally you can get more light out of strobes compared to continuous lights for a given budget. Of course depends on what you want to shoot, and your budget.

Something like a Godox SL60W gets you consistent color and a decently powerful output, but it's still way more expensive than the clamp lights suggested upthread.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
It was more cost than anything else. I dont have any remote trigger or anything fancy. So buying a strobe would also mean buying one of those.

I ended up going with a $60 set of leds from amazon and my apartment is being fixed, so im displaced otherwise id show how well they work.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0859FD2QF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_MPYQ6DJSS9ZG78M6BQB2

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

charliebravo77 posted:

Fuji XF10, though discontinued, is a pocketable APC-C camera too. Probably more of a direct competitor with the GR than the X100V is to some degree. I have the XF10 and X100V and love them both.

I think the X70 is the direct competitor to the Ricoh. I have and love both for different reasons.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a recommendation for a camera backpack that can double as an office bag? I work in a downtown area and am hoping to be able to bring my 6D Mk II with me since I've been able to get some cool shots on lunch. I poked around at the Peak Design bags and I just didn't like that organization style, and my research led me to Wandrd Prvke, but I haven't gotten to see it in person yet. t I think that's gonna be more my speed with the camera and general storage sections separated. However, the new Prvke 31L is backordered into mid 2022 right now and yeah, I'd like to get something around Christmas time. Any recommendations on other bags that are sub-$250 that might meet my needs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was gifted an Osprey apogee earlier this year and it might be worth a look. It's sold as a "commuter pack" so it's clearly meant to be brought to the office, but it has a big enough internal volume to fit a body and a second lens. The hard part will be choosing a padded insert that goes into the bag, the volume is about 11"x6" (maybe closer to 5 inches if you're putting a laptop in there) and there's not much out there for that. I made do with some towels until I found one on B&H (the ruggard camera insert, it was cheap. shimoda makes one a similar size that is worth considering).

It has osprey's mesh thingy against your back too which is surprisingly effective at making the thing less sweaty to wear.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Is there any decent solution to providing power zoom to a camera that doesn't have it? Or at least a good way of making the zoom on my lens smoother?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could add a geared ring, figure out rod mount, and then use a FIZ motor and follow focus thing. If it's really notchy it still might not be great. Some folks I know seem to really like the Tilta Nucleus system for cheap but decent wireless follow focus — I've not used them myself though.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone shooting audio separate from their camera, specifically Sony Alpha series? How are you finding syncing?

I dont do much video currently but considering it. I need to solve for audio quality and the onboard pre-amp is supposed to be middling. Any suggestions? Just sync in post? Get something to timecode to? Something else?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

d0grent posted:

Is there any decent solution to providing power zoom to a camera that doesn't have it? Or at least a good way of making the zoom on my lens smoother?

If you're shooting with a Canon APS-C by some chance, there's the PZ-E1 attachment you can use with the EFS 18-135mm IS USM lens but that's a pretty niche solution.

XBenedict posted:

I think the X70 is the direct competitor to the Ricoh. I have and love both for different reasons.

You're right, I sometimes forget the X70 existed.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 8, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

Anyone shooting audio separate from their camera, specifically Sony Alpha series? How are you finding syncing?

I dont do much video currently but considering it. I need to solve for audio quality and the onboard pre-amp is supposed to be middling. Any suggestions? Just sync in post? Get something to timecode to? Something else?

You can also feed the camera a hotter signal from a good pre-amp — I've found that works well enough with other cameras that don't have the best internal. What solution you want to try depends a bit on what you're filming and budget. I've done sync in post with sound, slating, feeding audio timecode to the camera + having a recorder that does timecode with Tentacle Sync and similar. All of them were fine. If you're doing a ton of sync with sound PluralEyes is worth a buy.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

powderific posted:

You could add a geared ring, figure out rod mount, and then use a FIZ motor and follow focus thing. If it's really notchy it still might not be great. Some folks I know seem to really like the Tilta Nucleus system for cheap but decent wireless follow focus — I've not used them myself though.

I've thought about using a follow focus but I can't find any videos or anyone talking about actually using it for zooming instead of focusing. This does sound like my only option though so I'll give it a shot.

Walked posted:

I use a A7sIII and sII and I've never had trouble syncing camera audio with the audio from my zoom H4N. Hell, premiere can do it automatically 99% of the time. But even doing it manually, you just gotta look at the waveforms of each audio track and you can usually instantly spot where the shapes will match up. Clapping at the start of the shot helps of course, as does starting the recording on video and audio roughly at the same time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What lens are you trying to do this to? It's definitely something I'd expect to work better with a zoom lens made to have an FIZ motor attached but I don't see why it wouldn't work with something else (albeit maybe not as smoothly as one would like.) Here's an arduously long video of someone adding a tilta FIZ motor to a cheap sony zoom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic0tyP0xHJo&t=960s

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

powderific posted:

What lens are you trying to do this to?

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 E mount

It's has fairly smooth zoom action already so hopefully this works.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Book recommendations or YouTube series for a younger camera user. Like 'the exposure triangle for dummies? '

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I was gifted an Osprey apogee earlier this year and it might be worth a look. It's sold as a "commuter pack" so it's clearly meant to be brought to the office, but it has a big enough internal volume to fit a body and a second lens. The hard part will be choosing a padded insert that goes into the bag, the volume is about 11"x6" (maybe closer to 5 inches if you're putting a laptop in there) and there's not much out there for that. I made do with some towels until I found one on B&H (the ruggard camera insert, it was cheap. shimoda makes one a similar size that is worth considering).

It has osprey's mesh thingy against your back too which is surprisingly effective at making the thing less sweaty to wear.

Gonna check them out! It's becoming more apparent that buying a separate camera cube/pack and using that in a normal daypack like that Apogee might be the right way to go, both for money and functionality reasons

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Book recommendations or YouTube series for a younger camera user. Like 'the exposure triangle for dummies? '

How young? Like I'm not a YouTube generation kid but I think Understanding Exposure is just the right amount of "wordy" to "show-y". It has a lot of visual examples and isn't super super super verbose.

When I was still going through YouTube camera stuff I did like this channel for their explanations: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkJEEIifDzR_2K2p9tnwYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWfdxE1om6A

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 10, 2021

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

This has been stewing with me for a bit and I'm curious, are returns on the lenses free? Is it worth it to bargain hunt on these, especially if my photography budget is a bit slimmer?

tribbledirigible posted:

"The return shipping cost is the responsibility of the customer and is non-refundable."

From their FAQs.

“Ugly” grade lenses aren’t technically covered by Keh’s warranty…but I reached out to Keh a s they did provide me with a RMA and prepaid return label without any fuss. YMMV but I’d say it’s worth it to roll the dice, especially if you are saving quite a bit compared to a better graded lens.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

How young? Like I'm not a YouTube generation kid but I think Understanding Exposure is just the right amount of "wordy" to "show-y". It has a lot of visual examples and isn't super super super verbose.

When I was still going through YouTube camera stuff I did like this channel for their explanations: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkJEEIifDzR_2K2p9tnwYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWfdxE1om6A

he's going to be 10 so not a 5 year old but isn't going to want to sit through chapers of photography theory. Basically something that's like "here's the rule of thirds" "here's the Exposure triangle", "Here's what some of the basics mean"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah yeah so that’s probably not it. Good call though, I guess it would be super cool to have content to bring up a new generation of photographers.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Any idea which model this Leica is?

Leica III?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tortilla Maker fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 11, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I rented a lens and the dude threw in a Canon EOS R for the weekend. It's much newer than my 7D

It's good. there are some good things for sure. Technology has come somewhere since 2009 when the 7D came out huh???

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dinosaurs may have still roamed the earth when your camera was built

Yeah things have improved considerably, even just going back 3-4 years

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Love my Rollei 35. Very easy to carry and shoot and the 40/3.5 lens is great. Would like to add another mechanical, collapsible-lens 35mm film camera to the collection. Not springing any crazy $$ on a pre-M3 Leica… but what about the collapsible Industar-22 Leica Elmer copy? Anyone ever use this lens? Decently sharp at 3.5, or hazy/mushy?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
don’t russian leicas have something weird going on with registration distance and RF calibration?

I’d stick to the japanese and german lenses, or if you’re gonna do russian go with a serviced russian LTM body.

Nikon actually made a lot of their early S-mount lenses in LTM as well and somewhat surprisingly they’re not quite as overpriced as you’d expect - they are particularly rare variants of the early nikkor and I was always surprised they weren’t significantly more than the S-mount versions considering how bad the availability is for S-mount bodies. I specifically remember they had a collapsible normal lens (50mm f/3.5?) and that was available in LTM.

They also have a Sonnar type normal (I think 50/2 - looks like these are running about $200-300 nowadays) and also a very nice little 35/2.5 - neither are collapsible but especially the 35/2.5 is extremely compact to begin with. I was very pleased with the 35/2.5 when I shot it on my dad’s Nikonos (different mount of the same optics) and KEH had one a couple years ago that I picked up for $313. It looks like they’re up a bit since then, more like $600 now, but that’s just japanese sellers listing BINs that may not ever move, maybe you can still find one in the $400-500 range.

That was basically right before COVID hit and I really need to get out and shoot it, maybe some slide or some tri-x or acros. Kind of a shame slide processing is on the way out though. CVS still seems to do send-out though so I assume that goes to Fuji or Dwaynes or whatever for specialty (non-C41) processing.

I would not expect any of the collapsible tessar/triplet types to be super great wide open. Even for a tessar, that’s normally not how they were shot, and 40/2.8 is very short for a tessar to cover 35mm, meaning you get even less sweet-spotting effect than normal, you are going right to the edges of the image circle and results at f/2.8 will not be great. Corners are going to be very rough wide open and center will only be acceptable / maybe edging into “good” territory. Maybe that’s fine for your uses though.

For good wide-open performance, contemporary shooters would go to a Sonnar/Planar/double-gauss type (and preferably a coated one, otherwise the contrast isn’t fantastic wide open). Unfortunately there aren’t a ton of collapsible lenses better than tessar - summicron has soft glass and is usually very scratched, nikkor has a rare collapsible version of the 50/2 but it’s rare enough I don’t see one on eBay, the most plausible option I’m coming up with is the Canon Serenar 50/1.9 has a collapsible version and those run maybe $200-300.

In terms of other interesting cameras, do you have an XA? A Contax G? A minox? Olympus PEN?

Certainly the Rollei 35 is the most interesting combination of “tiny body” and “great lens”, nobody ever really bested that combination in terms of pure optical output, but there are other good offerings that fit slightly different criteria. Nothing else in that size class is gonna be quite as good a lens on a full frame negative with manual controls though. I love the XA dearly but it just isn’t the optical quality or the build/controls of the Rollei 35.

It’s just a shame the Rollei is zone focus, would really have been nice to have even an uncoupled rangefinder, even one with a very short base. As it is, the Rollei can be really hit or miss depending on whether you, well, hit or miss, and the problem is especially bad up close and wide open. Which is disappointing considering the quality of the lens, it performs really well wide open.

You could also check out the Zeiss Contessa folder, still a tessar but very cute and compact.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 13, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you take collapsible out of the equation then an Olympus 35 RD or RC is certainly pocketable. Or you could go weird and Italian and find a Officine Galileo Condor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Dinosaurs may have still roamed the earth when your camera was built

lol I love my 7D

recently canon released some kind of driver that lets me plug my 7d into boring old usb and use it as a webcam in like OBS. slap in a nice lens and its good to go. it's surprising to me how well it does work really.

even if I get a newer camera I doubt I'll get rid of the 7d. photo wise it's sweet as heck.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
So I have a D750, but my needs have changed quite a bit in the last few years and I shoot more video for youtube and stream.

I'm thinking of selling the D750 and instead getting a mirrorless to use instead of a webcam, and also shoot nicer video. I was thinking about trying to find a used Sony Alpha a7RS II or A6400 and a lens
Are there others that I should be considering?

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 13, 2021

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

don’t russian leicas have something weird going on with registration distance and RF calibration?

Very early FEDs were built around a specific lens and there was no guarantee that the rangefinder would still be accurate if you switched the lens to a different one - even if it was the same type as the original. That stopped after about 1940 though as wartime logistics required a lot more commonality. Also some Russian M39 lenses had a slightly different thread pitch to the original LTM. Again, that stopped being a thing by mid-war.

The i-22 is an ok lens, there are billions of them in circulation and they are cheap so you can take a punt and try without too much outlay. Even if you get a duff one, they are so simple that even I can break one down, dehaze the elements and relube the helicoid without any trouble.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I want to pick up some ND filters to start taking shots outside my typical comfort zone.

I shoot primarily on Sony; a pair of Tamron (17-28 and 28-75) and the Sony 70-200. This suggests I'd be best to grab a 67mm filter or two.

Now: any suggestions for something? How much should I be spending here? I'm seeing $20 all the way to $300 and I know nothing about these. What's the sweet spot for a babby who has never used an ND filter?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Hello thread, I just wanted to come in here and vent that I saw a beautiful Hasselblad 500 C/M with the 80mm on consignment for a very reasonable price in my local camera shop on Saturday, so I went back today with the intention of making an offer only to find it sold an hour earlier for list price. Lessons learned, if a deal is too good to pass up then don't loving pass on it!

PS: I follow a lot of popular film YouTubers who hate shooting 6x6, in my opinion they're all cowards.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 15, 2021

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Coming here to chat about my sister's Christmas gift has resparked my interest in photography.

I almost spent $750+ on a Leica IIIf with a Canon lens.

Thanks guys...

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

don’t russian leicas have something weird going on with registration distance and RF calibration?…
[bunch of great info]
…You could also check out the Zeiss Contessa folder, still a tessar but very cute and compact.

Thanks. The collapsible Canon lens is one I hadn’t considered. I wonder if it would have accurate focus on a Zorki 1. I thought it was just the Kiev contax clones that had lens registration distance incompatibilities with Nikon s, not the ltm Leica copies (at least after the very first revisions of the FED Leica ii copies), but maybe I am wrong about that or maybe the tolerances on the cams or the thread pitch of the mounts are variable enough to not make it reliable.

I’d like to rock a zorki 1 with a serenar, but will definitely need to look into it more before investing.

E: also the contessa rec. reminded me that there’s also Kodak retinas out there as another basically collapsible option.

Or maybe a canon iv. But I wanted a specifically FSU camera for the history. It’s just too bad that the really good and sharp lens from KMZ (industar 61 L/D) is rather large and rigid.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 16, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
so I know the standard recommendation for a scanner these days is to use a digital camera with a slide copier rig.

Is there a nice off-the-shelf solution to hold 35mm film strips while you're copying? It'd be nice to put them into a holder, and then just manipulate the holder rather than touching the negatives themselves a ton.

Also, as far as medium format, are there any notably cheaper solutions there as far as slide copier rigs to "repurpose"? 6x9 would be ideal but I'd get good mileage out of just 6x7. Like if there's a bunch of, I don't know, Kowa stuff that is super cheap because nobody uses Kowa anymore, or Hasselblad mount stuff because it sold a ton of units, that make it cheaper than other mounts?

I guess the right answer might still be to just buy a compendium shade and a lightbox and throw negatives on the lightbox? But I'd still rather keep them as clean as possible in the process. Some kind of "caddy" system for handling them in the process would be nice. I know Pentax made one for 6x7 or 645 that was like thousands of dollars but something a little more reasonable?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Plustek 35mm holders would do a good job at holding your stuff flat. I've also seen reviews for this system and it is apparently very good: https://www.valoi.co/

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the standard recommendation isn't a camera and copy stand, the standard recommendation is the epson v700/750/800/850, and for good reason too.

the camera with copy stand method is just introducing extra work for worse and more unpredictable results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you have all the stuff already to do camera scanning there's no issue, I can understand not wanting to invest more in a scanner. If I'm talking to someone and they don't have a digital camera, and they only scan 35mm my suggestion is any of the Plustek 8xxx series, if medium format at above it's an Epson 7xx or 8xx series.