Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That's incredibly sexist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemsBad
Jan 11, 2021

by Hand Knit

Casey Finnigan posted:

there actually are some btw. there's like 15 of them. crazy stuff out there

someone still chooses when the film starts and stops :evilbuddy:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

That's incredibly sexist

Are you having a stroke, snyder weirdo?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mansplaining that a womans opinion doesn't count sounds pretty sexist to me

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

Mansplaining that a womans opinion doesn't count sounds pretty sexist to me

An artist's assessment of their own work is irrelevant. Your brain is broken.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Judakel posted:

An artist's assessment of their own work is irrelevant. Your brain is broken.

lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

You embarrassed yourself concern trolling.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

just learned about the phenomenon of the "Bionicle dream"

something is wrong with this culture

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

I googled it and wish I did not.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I’ve been thinking about the phenomena known as “The Dream TM”, wherein it seems many Bionicle fans have reported having dreams involving finding Bionicle sets in stores long after they were retired. I think it would be interesting if the Bionicle community could collectively hire a psychologist to study this shared experience and examine possible causes/meaning.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/GetGianni/status/1454576554298720267?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67w49qxoVO0

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

And then I realized what it is. There's a Bionicle set in the back. I can see it though the wall. I can see its face.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I have dreams about new episodes of space ghost coast to coast being on the air

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

that's totally normal and cool though

rip c martin croker

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Atrocious Joe posted:

No this is normal

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
In talking about movies, "editing" is usually the last refuse of a poser who wants to sound smart. Maybe I'm wrong though; feel free to explain how ANH and ESB have different or better editing than, say, TPM.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

In talking about movies, "editing" is usually the last refuse of a poser who wants to sound smart. Maybe I'm wrong though; feel free to explain how ANH and ESB have different or better editing than, say, TPM.

If that's the case, then we should expect a lot of talk about editing from you.

Anyway, there's a ton of unnecessary dialogue between say the queen and palpy before the senate that you could trim down, for example.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Judakel posted:

If that's the case, then we should expect a lot of talk about editing from you.

Anyway, there's a ton of unnecessary dialogue between say the queen and palpy before the senate that you could trim down, for example.

I'd probably call that more a script problem, since all the dialogue and senate crap is in there from the start. It probably could have been improved in editing, though, but you'd have to change the script alongside everything else because the fundamental problem is just a big block of time spent on talking about the senate, talking in the senate, talking about what they did in the senate, etc. Give it a pass from whoever wrote the new Dune script.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

I'd probably call that more a script problem, since all the dialogue and senate crap is in there from the start. It probably could have been improved in editing, though, but you'd have to change the script alongside everything else because the fundamental problem is just a big block of time spent on talking about the senate, talking in the senate, talking about what they did in the senate, etc. Give it a pass from whoever wrote the new Dune script.

Sounds like an editor could've...

Saved The Phantom Menace in Editing

People have edited that scene, by the way. You don't have to change the script.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Judakel posted:

Sounds like an editor could've...

Saved The Phantom Menace in Editing

People have edited that scene, by the way. You don't have to change the script.

You might be able to make it flow more quickly, but then the problem isn't the unnecessary dialogue at all. It might be interesting to see the edited versions, but they might also butcher some of the worthwhile aspects of that part of the movie, ie the shots of Coruscant and so forth, while for some reason not touching redundant or verbose dialogue.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

You might be able to make it flow more quickly, but then the problem isn't the unnecessary dialogue at all. It might be interesting to see the edited versions, but they might also butcher some of the worthwhile aspects of that part of the movie, ie the shots of Coruscant and so forth, while for some reason not touching redundant or verbose dialogue.

This edit of the scene leaves establishing shots alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHVl-Y2Aibg&t=682s

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Judakel posted:

This edit of the scene leaves establishing shots alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHVl-Y2Aibg&t=682s

It definitely makes the scene punchier. It did actually cut an establishing shot, but a really boring one that could probably go (dude walking into the room).

Re-editing movies is one of the coolest fan things in general. Imagine if we had all the unused footage to work with. I don't doubt people could improve on even movies without obvious flaws.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The Binoclard Dream

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
All
Day
I
Dream
About
Sales

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hodgepodge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqVGz6mOVE

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Stairmaster posted:

man space ghost was a cool show

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im not really following the editing discussion are people seriously arguing that because all films have editing theres no meaningful distinction between good editing and bad editing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

space ghost popping up in an unrelated subject is especially funny given that shows entire gimmick was that it was deliberately edited in a weird unethical way and wouldnt be recognizable as the same show if it used regular boring editing

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Some Guy TT posted:

im not really following the editing discussion are people seriously arguing that because all films have editing theres no meaningful distinction between good editing and bad editing

no, you should probably try reading the posts :shrug:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I like the old AS shows before they all turned into poo poo for libertarians. Can't wait to see that cool short not get produced because its 'too weird'

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

no, you should probably try reading the posts :shrug:

posting this on response to the claim that the first star wars had good editing and then proceeding to say that the first star wars movie had about the same quality editing as every other star wars movie seems to me at least to be tantamount to claiming that editing isnt actually a big deal

i am confused in part because this sounds like a really stupid position that your other posts are walking back so i honestly just dont know why you were referring to editing in the abstract at all rather than just in the context of these movies like are there other examples of bad criticism that leans heavily on overemphasizing editing that you were thinking of when you made those posts

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Guy TT posted:

no, the point is that it's weird to attribute the success of a film to the editing as if that discredits the director, like only badly directed films need good editing. in this particular case it's naked wish fulfilment by people mad about the prequels who want to detach the work they like from the creator they don't.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

for the record i dont think the editing saved star wars in that it had a large number of moving parts beyond just the editing but i think the importance of good editing in movies is way deemphasized in most modern film discussion so i find the assertion that we talk about editing too much to be really weird because outside of this one specific argument people barely ever talk about editing at all

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

heck, fwiw marcia lucas even denies that her editing was what "saved" star wars.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
setting aside whether or not it's true, I don't think anyone but the most self-centered of personalities is going to in so many words claim that they personally saved star wars.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Guy TT posted:

for the record i dont think the editing saved star wars in that it had a large number of moving parts beyond just the editing but i think the importance of good editing in movies is way deemphasized in most modern film discussion so i find the assertion that we talk about editing too much to be really weird because outside of this one specific argument people barely ever talk about editing at all

yeah, that's fair

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Editing is like air, it's invisible and you only really notice it when it's bad

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

chernobyl leans really hard on the bad commie administrators not listening to science despite it being an outright plot point that it shouldnt even be physically possible for a nuclear reactor to explode and the main reason the good scientists have trouble making headway with the bad commie administrators is because they cant actually come up with a scientific explanation for how the nuclear reactor exploded

I always come back to this scene for an example of the pure contempt liberals hold for the working class

https://youtu.be/idb_qsAAe1c

Just pure Liz Warren energy off of this

Serf
May 5, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I always come back to this scene for an example of the pure contempt liberals hold for the working class

https://youtu.be/idb_qsAAe1c

Just pure Liz Warren energy off of this

according to the writer the takeaway here is supposed to be that this same scenario applies to politicians under capitalism with regards to climate change. but i think the show fails to convey this message. also the key difference is that even if the soviet bureaucracy was slow to respond chernobyl, they still mobilized thousands of workers and successfully contained the worst of the disaster. if the soviets moved slow (debatable imo) then the capitalist world is actively moving in the wrong direction by comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

all of this editing talk is really distracting the thread from what should be it’s core mission of evangelizing Kingo