Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Welcome to my district! The question now is “Who wins in a crazy off between Bost and Miller?” You may get rid of him but the replacement is worse.

Bost mostly won because he promised to keep the Granite City steel mill running, and now that retrenchment is happening there he may be on thin ice no matter what. (He took over what was a fairly Dem district long represented by Jerry Costello, old-school St Clair County pol.)

I’m mostly impressed at how the map managed to keep only the most Dem parts of the northern Metro East in the same district. God help you if you, like a friend of mine, live in Godfrey yet work with unions in Alton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
new maps finalized, newman is gone once her term ends. she's in with Chuy now and has zero shot in a primary against him

edit: she announced she'll run a primary against Casten, 40% of her former district went into his. he has a bit less carryover but more money

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 29, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I got moved into Jan’s district

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Kinzinger isn't going to run for reelection either.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1454093968564699139?t=QR6u-itLEFJi3FFMr-J6YQ&s=19

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I expect Kinzinger to run for Governor since Davis has not answered whether he would or not.

His idea is that the crazies will split the vote and Kinzinger can pull a reverse Trump.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I expect Kinzinger to run for Governor since Davis has not answered whether he would or not.

His idea is that the crazies will split the vote and Kinzinger can pull a reverse Trump.

He'll just guarantee a Pritzker reelection unless something horrific on the scale of eating live babies comes out about him, so carry on, Kinzinger, you quiet part loving decorum-obsessed Republican, you.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The more Republicans that run the better. They can waste a bunch of money in the primary, and hopefully piss off some Republican voters in the process. I don’t really expect Prtizker to lose though. He’s been good enough and generally scandal free.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Duckworth seems easier to go after than Pritzker

anyways
https://twitter.com/napervillepol/status/1454166163068526596?s=21

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

What did Newman do to piss them off so much? Or are they trying to clean house of moderates or…?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oracle posted:

What did Newman do to piss them off so much? Or are they trying to clean house of moderates or…?

She beat Lipinski. It’s such utter bullshit.
Is Newman even a moderate?

Lipinski was so far out of step with his district that he relied on Republicans in his district propping him up in Dem primaries. I’m one district over, and driving through Lockport you’d see yards with Lipinski/Trump/anti-abortion signs. The district went +16 for Clinton though. I think his district was the one with so little Republican primary participation that a literal self-identified Nazi won the Republican primary in 2016 or 2018 - ‘cuz all of the actual Republican voters were saving Lipinski in the Dem primary yet again.

I don’t know why certain powerful Dems in the party have such a boner for the guy. He was a pain in the rear end during ACA, was anti-choice, anti-gay marriage, and just plain out of step. If he had to be that way to win a conservative district, then fine, but that’s just wasn’t the case at all.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oracle posted:

He'll just guarantee a Pritzker reelection unless something horrific on the scale of eating live babies comes out about him, so carry on, Kinzinger, you quiet part loving decorum-obsessed Republican, you.

Look.

If Large Dad needs to eat a baby or three to keep in shape, well . . . can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, etc. etc.

I mean, he *is* a Large Dad and nothing in this world is free, after all.

I really do appreciate the mask mandates around Cook County and truly think that aside from a Governor Bernie Sanders, that we likely could have very well done much, much worse.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ugh I'm in the designated chud territory of the 15th

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

FuturePastNow posted:

Ugh I'm in the designated chud territory of the 15th

I sympathize. I'm still stuck in the chud zone as well and was really hoping they'd move the boundary for the Bustos district over a street to catch me. It wouldn't have hurt any! I think there are like three houses with Bailey poo poo out and at least three or four with rainbow flags and stuff. It seems like a pretty split neighborhood.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

She beat Lipinski. It’s such utter bullshit.
Is Newman even a moderate?

Lipinski was so far out of step with his district that he relied on Republicans in his district propping him up in Dem primaries. I’m one district over, and driving through Lockport you’d see yards with Lipinski/Trump/anti-abortion signs. The district went +16 for Clinton though. I think his district was the one with so little Republican primary participation that a literal self-identified Nazi won the Republican primary in 2016 or 2018 - ‘cuz all of the actual Republican voters were saving Lipinski in the Dem primary yet again.

I don’t know why certain powerful Dems in the party have such a boner for the guy. He was a pain in the rear end during ACA, was anti-choice, anti-gay marriage, and just plain out of step. If he had to be that way to win a conservative district, then fine, but that’s just wasn’t the case at all.

He was a good ol boy given his job strictly through nepotism. He was beloved by the Illinois dem machine. I think lipinski represented the south side/Beverly area cop and firefighter base pretty well, but he was probably the most conservative Dem left in the House in 2020. Good riddance.

Newman is fairly progressive for a Democrat. Maybe she can bounce the more moderate Casten in the primary.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

brugroffil posted:

He was a good ol boy given his job strictly through nepotism. He was beloved by the Illinois dem machine. I think lipinski represented the south side/Beverly area cop and firefighter base pretty well, but he was probably the most conservative Dem left in the House in 2020. Good riddance.

Newman is fairly progressive for a Democrat. Maybe she can bounce the more moderate Casten in the primary.

Looks like she lives in the district shared with Garcia now, though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Is there a requirement for residency specifically within the district or just the state?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Is there a requirement for residency specifically within the district or just the state?

District. She should move house.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fast Eddie's slow roll toward prison is coming to an end. From the Trib:

quote:

Former Chicago Ald. Edward “Fast Eddie” Vrdolyak’s 84th birthday is in December, and it appears he will spend it in federal prison.

After several pandemic-related delays, a federal judge Monday ordered Vrdolyak to report to the medical facility in Rochester, Minnesota, by Nov. 30 to begin serving his 18-month sentence on tax-related counts.

Vrdolyak was sentenced almost a year ago for his conviction related to millions of dollars that he and an associate reaped from the state’s massive settlement with the tobacco companies in the 1990s.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oracle posted:

District. She should move house.

In this housing market?
Good luck!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That’s why you pull the old Allen West and rent the cheapest place you can and throw a mattress in there. Now you live in the district!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
what ever happened to illinois ditching daylight savings?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Soonmot posted:

what ever happened to illinois ditching daylight savings?

Last I heard it required authorization from the us congress, and good loving luck with them getting anything done.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Switching to permanent daylight savings time would require changing the Time Act. Switching to permanent Standard Time does not and Arizona and Hawaii both did it like 60 years ago.

For whatever reason there seems to be a large push behind going to permanent-DST, even though most experts agree we should just do permanent-standard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Permanent daylight savings makes sense to me because under that system we get maximum daylight in the evenings. I don't need more light in the mornings.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah I don't need more daylight at six am but now it'll be dark by the time everyone gets home from work/school

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

brugroffil posted:

Yeah I don't need more daylight at six am but now it'll be dark by the time everyone gets home from work/school

You honestly want it dark at 8 AM?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lammasu posted:

Nothing useful happens at 8am, so sure why not

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zarin posted:

Nothing useful happens at 8am, so sure why not

Well it's loving stupid.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
If it's worth anything, the country tried doing permanent-DST in 1974 and it was initially very popular (more daylight in the evening sounds reasonable at first blush) but within one year it became incredibly unpopular and was reverted shortly after.

Waking up when it's still dark out also has a number of health impacts that look Not Good in general.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Shere posted:

If it's worth anything, the country tried doing permanent-DST in 1974 and it was initially very popular (more daylight in the evening sounds reasonable at first blush) but within one year it became incredibly unpopular and was reverted shortly after.

Waking up when it's still dark out also has a number of health impacts that look Not Good in general.

Wow, I never knew that!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I grew up in Alaska and lived with waking up in the dark and coming home in the dark just fine so obviously everyone has to do things my way because I'm all that matters.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

As someone who works very long hours in January and February, I would much prefer if it were light out for my drive home than in the morning.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lammasu posted:

100% better than dark at 5pm

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Shere posted:

I worked night shift for over a decade, loving deal with it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
See?! Look what happened to you!!!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

FuturePastNow posted:

As someone who works very long hours in January and February, I would much prefer if it were light out for my drive home than in the morning.

It still won't be light going home. Days are shorter so it's still going to be dark.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Lammasu posted:

It still won't be light going home. Days are shorter so it's still going to be dark.
Everyone should just work shorter days, it’s simple!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
In march we push the clock forward by half an hour and be done. Split the difference. Enough. No more of this poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the winter solstice in the Chicago region sunrise is at 7:16 am and sunset is at 4:24 (under standard time). So if we used DST in the winter sunset would be at 5:24 and we'd all be stuck in rush hour with a bit of sun. :science:

That's kind of unique to locations with the same longitude as Chicago though as we're so close to the east edge of our time zone. By the time you get to the western edge somewhere in western Nebraska, under standard time sunrise is at 8:06 and sunset is at 5:18. So under the premise of "light in the evening is more important" they benefit more from DST in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

xzzy posted:

Well I grew up in Alaska and lived with waking up in the dark and coming home in the dark just fine so obviously everyone has to do things my way because I'm all that matters.

As a fellow Alaska-bred goon I second this motion. SAD is for the weak.