Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

nachos posted:

I’m honestly not sure how there hasn’t been a parental revolt over DST yet. They are loud as poo poo about vaccines but apparently nobody cares about extra hours of sleep.

Our ogre toddler woke up at 5 and has been a holy terror for the last hour and a half. He has also been taking some of the most rancid poops this morning. I assume it's from all the snot and the phlegm he's been swallowing, leading him to having runny poops.

Pray for Mojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

nachos posted:

I’m honestly not sure how there hasn’t been a parental revolt over DST yet. They are loud as poo poo about vaccines but apparently nobody cares about extra hours of sleep.

Not to mention there are many studies that show an increase in heart attacks and strokes in the two days after DST. And it’s not great for all the people with dementia, autism, etc, where a change in routine can be disastrous.

As for the Koivunen family, I put the kids to bed at their regular time because F it. Baby was up every two hours. Toddler came in to snuggle around 2:30am. Then at 5am pre DST, the baby decided to wake up and be talkative, so the toddler woke up and started flailing and kicking me in the face, then she had a massive poop, so we are awake and it’s still dark AF outside.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kiddo slept perfectly to within 10 minutes of his "correct" wake up time. :smuggo:

Because he's getting over a cold that has him tired and snotting all over everything :gonk:

We're getting a bit concerned about his language development. He understands a whole hell of a lot and will follow instructions like "go pick up the red block and put it in your bucket" or "where's the raccoon? Can you point to the raccoon", but just doesn't really use words. We can manage to tease out "ba" for ball, "ma" for more, and "ga" for flowers (no idea where that one came from) but that's about it. Pediatrician said it wasn't all that concerning and we'd talk about it in a month at his 18mo visit but still everything we see is like "you must intervene as early as possible, or even earlier!"

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My baby has been pushing her bedtime later and later so that it’s almost 9pm when she finally goes to sleep. I’m hoping the time change means I can now put her down before 8. She did learn how to play fetch with her ball in the dark while she was stalling bedtime though.

This is my Animal Crossing weekend and I’ve noticed the baby likes to wave at the screen during screen changes like she’s saying bye bye to the characters. It’s very cute.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

nachos posted:

Needs congress to pass a law revoking it and lol. For whatever reason they won't. Probably because we are a broken country with a really broken legislative body.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Shifty Pony posted:

Kiddo slept perfectly to within 10 minutes of his "correct" wake up time. :smuggo:

Because he's getting over a cold that has him tired and snotting all over everything :gonk:

We're getting a bit concerned about his language development. He understands a whole hell of a lot and will follow instructions like "go pick up the red block and put it in your bucket" or "where's the raccoon? Can you point to the raccoon", but just doesn't really use words. We can manage to tease out "ba" for ball, "ma" for more, and "ga" for flowers (no idea where that one came from) but that's about it. Pediatrician said it wasn't all that concerning and we'd talk about it in a month at his 18mo visit but still everything we see is like "you must intervene as early as possible, or even earlier!"

We had a very similar experience and concerns about language at that age: very clear comprehension, but not a lot of talking. But her vocabulary gradually grew beyond a handful of words and exploded at 28 months, and now she's a constant talker.

I think a lot of traditional milestones are broken for this cohort of kids. Yours at 18 months has literally never known a pre-pandemic world, which means he's probably inside a lot with close family. That's an environment where he's not as pressured to develop language skills, because you're already so attuned to his other forms of communication.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Horror, sheer horror. Little dude has been constantly fussing overnight the past week or so (4mo sleep regression I think) and waking up early, so of course he woke up even earlier today. Thankfully we kept him pretty busy until almost his usual morning food time. And put him down for a nap after 8am,so fingers crossed we can right this ship!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Our kid has been pushing back his waketime by about 10 minutes a day for the last week. Yesterday he got up at 7:10 (usually 6am)

Today he got up at 6:20am. Guess he came pre-calibrated for daylight savings?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Know whats really fun? Your autistic seven year old finding the one clock you forgot to change and proceeding to melt down for an hour because "you're an evil wizard who changed the time so I WONT GET GAMEPLAY AT FOUR! I'll show you at noon when its really one and tablet time!"

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
So my kiddo (22 months) has never used a blanket. We kinda missed the boat on sleep sacks, too. So he's only ever slept in his pajamas, and as a baby swaddled, but we're finding we don't know how to introduce blankets now. He pushes them away immediately and without fail, even if we just try to drape a blanket over our laps during story time to get him used to the feeling. Any thoughts?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

boquiabierta posted:

So my kiddo (22 months) has never used a blanket. We kinda missed the boat on sleep sacks, too. So he's only ever slept in his pajamas, and as a baby swaddled, but we're finding we don't know how to introduce blankets now. He pushes them away immediately and without fail, even if we just try to drape a blanket over our laps during story time to get him used to the feeling. Any thoughts?

Ours is a similar age and is in sleep sacks. We’ve unsuccessfully tried blankets a couple times, she tends to flip out and start crying because she doesn’t know what to do with it but likes the softness of the blanket. We’re just going to try again when she’s older.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why are you bothering with blankets now? Just one more thing to wash

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Koivunen posted:

Thanks to this thread I have been documenting every interaction since day one of this mess.

I read through your post history in this thread and holy poo poo, I can't believe you have stuck it out for so long. Hopefully the hard part will have passed/will pass soon.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

boquiabierta posted:

We used sleep sacks until close to 3 years old. Also kept her in a cot until 3. It was summer that we gave sheets a go.

At that point we were using the summer weight sack and just introduced a light cotton sheet, so no biggie if it got kicked off. She kicked it off for a few weeks, then we took the sleep sack out of the equation, and it only took a few nights for her to keep the sheet on.

I don’t think you’ve missed the boat, you’ll be fine.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Honestly, keep offering it, but it's not a huge deal if he doesn't want a blanket. Some people just don't like them. I generally only use one if it's Hella Cold, otherwise I sleep without one.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Baby is sick with 101.7 fever and has a runny nose. She only wanted to nurse, and my wife has stopped producing pretty much so it’s all comfort. She’s sleeping like poo poo and we are exhausted from the night wakeups, and she’s cranky during the day. Tomorrow I’m taking her to the doctor and of course she can’t go to daycare. Home Covid test was negative, at least. She didn’t want to eat today, she usually loves oatmeal but was all gently caress that poo poo today. I don’t blame her. Meanwhile she’s started crawling and she’s really fast—we got a play yard for her and it sits in the middle of the living room surrounded by the toys her big brother won’t pick up.

Meanwhile lactulose has yet to improve toddler’s shits and he has poo poo his pants like five times today. He doesn’t tell us when it happens and I’m not sure if he knows or not, but I’m gonna start getting some disease from washing my hands so much because of all the wiping. Wipes are gone through at a record pace in this house because we are almost using them more for the allegedly potty-trained toddler than for the baby.

Words cannot describe how over it I am. All I do with this kid is wipe his rear end lately. He doesn’t even use the potty anymore. I think he has used it like four times in the past two months and I have no idea what to do. I’m sure my mental health is just peachy right now.

In good news I passed a huge certification exam earlier this week after four months of constant studying and testing, so it’s time to start looking for jobs since I ostensibly can get hired.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

life is killing me posted:

Baby is sick with 101.7 fever and has a runny nose.
I assume she's at least six months--have you tried Motrin to reduce the fever and general fussiness?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

life is killing me posted:

Meanwhile lactulose has yet to improve toddler’s shits and he has poo poo his pants like five times today. He doesn’t tell us when it happens and I’m not sure if he knows or not, but I’m gonna start getting some disease from washing my hands so much because of all the wiping. Wipes are gone through at a record pace in this house because we are almost using them more for the allegedly potty-trained toddler than for the baby.

Words cannot describe how over it I am. All I do with this kid is wipe his rear end lately. He doesn’t even use the potty anymore. I think he has used it like four times in the past two months and I have no idea what to do. I’m sure my mental health is just peachy right now.

In good news I passed a huge certification exam earlier this week after four months of constant studying and testing, so it’s time to start looking for jobs since I ostensibly can get hired.
I know I keep beating this horse but… why not go back to diapers? It doesn’t seem in anyone’s best interest to keep him in underwear. I can’t imagine how he must be feeling to be the cause of so much stress and unhappiness. Is it just that your wife is refusing? Can you go to a pediatrician or even a family therapist to discuss the effect it’s having on you? This doesn’t seem healthy.

in_cahoots fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 8, 2021

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah this is definitely getting to second opinion territory at least. The lactulose is not solving the issue, and you've got a new psychological problem brewing. I don't think a child can actually intentionally hold poop and strategically deploy it with THAT level of frequency and the longer it goes on the more hang ups around pooping hes gonna get and the more frazzled you guys are gonna get. Find a new poop doctor.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One nice thing about the time change (probably the only nice thing) is that it was so much easier to get the kids ready to leave for school this morning.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Our poor ogre toddler has a horrid case of diaper rash. Doesn't help that he keeps doing huge poops. Going to try a round of baking soda baths but if anyone else has some tips I'd appreciate it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

citybeatnik posted:

Our poor ogre toddler has a horrid case of diaper rash. Doesn't help that he keeps doing huge poops. Going to try a round of baking soda baths but if anyone else has some tips I'd appreciate it.

Get a tub of desitin and slather it all over their butt with every diaper change. Thick, like icing a cake.

Are they at a point where they could run around with a bare bottom? Airing out a rash can do wonders.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

The worst diaper rash we had was treated with Bodreaux butt paste (or anything 40% zinc oxide) and airing out the butt. She also had diarrhea and did poop on the floor twice during that time but we kept her away from carpets :shrug:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

I understand this feeling completely. It is incredibly frustrating dealing with a once-trained kid. #2 is 7 and in pull-ups because of his issues. He has a significant (hard) softball-sized poop maybe once or twice a month, in between it's softer squeezed-out stuff. Occasionally the in-between is roughly equivalent to a golf ball over the course of the day, most days it's a little less than a ping-pong ball.

He was successfully potty-trained - peeing always and pooping occasionally during the day, most of his poops were at night after he settled in bed in a pull-up - for a while until he developed a sensory issue with pooping, started withholding, and now who knows what the gently caress. We're getting in with a GI doc to figure it out.

Point being, I get it. At this point, it's worth it just to duck back to pull-ups to avoid the issues and get a referral to a GI doc. Even if it's entirely psychosomatic, a medical professional should be the one to tell you that.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Tom Smykowski posted:

My kid has been waking up extra early for the past week like he's anticipating making daylight savings even worse :ughh:

:same:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Koivunen posted:

Get a tub of desitin and slather it all over their butt with every diaper change. Thick, like icing a cake.

Are they at a point where they could run around with a bare bottom? Airing out a rash can do wonders.

nachos posted:

The worst diaper rash we had was treated with Bodreaux butt paste (or anything 40% zinc oxide) and airing out the butt. She also had diarrhea and did poop on the floor twice during that time but we kept her away from carpets :shrug:

He's not at the "can safely run about pantsless without peeing/pooping" stage unfortunately but we have been doing both the butt paste and desitin. I'll see about slathering it on thicker though.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
My oldest had issues with butt rashes and I found Triple Paste to be the most effective at relieving it. It's expensive but it's always worked wonders for us on both of our kids.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

citybeatnik posted:

I've tried both maximum strength Desitin and Boudreaux and found Boudreaux to be much much better. Like insanely so. But others swear the opposite. So maybe try stitching up which paste you use because a different one might be more effective for your situation.

Also I stuck a small fan next to the changing table to let me really dry off the butt before putting the paste and diaper on and that made a huge difference. A hair dryer on cool would work as well. You want that skin to be completely and totally dry before you put anything on.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our daughter had a very bad diaper rash when she was 2. Agreed with all previous posters comments on complete drying, pantsless time, etc. We were prescribed "Magic Butt Cream" by our pediatrician, which is basically 3 different OTC products mixed together. There are plenty of recipes online that tell you how to DIY something equivalent.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Not sure of its availability outside the UK but we always go to metanium cream for nappy rash that won't clear up. Our first always had the loving worst, rawest redass, it was awful.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So yeah my wife is highly against going back to pull-ups. She thinks it'll undo his potty training, I think it's basically undone already. Problem is, even when he is in a pull-up (usually after 3-4 consecutive pants-shits), he poops and we still have to wipe him. The only thing it solves is preventing underwear from being ruined.

The lactulose instructions are to offer daily in water for 3-6mo. I mean, the doc said it might take awhile, but this? Add to this, he is extremely resistant to taking it, he says it tastes bad and honestly it probably does. Even if we put it in something already flavored to cover up the taste of the medicine, he basically only finishes most drinks like milk or water 30% of the time and is less apt to drink anything if he knows we want him to. That's to be expected of course, he's a toddler, but drat. It's just a toss-up at any given meal whether he will finish his drink or not. Sometimes he drinks two sips of milk, sometimes he asks for seconds and thirds on milk in a single meal.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Maybe I missed the context but why is your doctor prescribing a laxative for a kid that is having frequent BMs?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Ah a new phase has officially started - kid won’t give up her lovey no matter what, even at bathtime. There’s now a 15 minute negotiation before we just have to take it away and give a 90 second bath to a baby in full body tantrum mode. The one time we let her keep the stuffed animal, she had a tantrum because it got all wet. Now I know why they call it the terrible twos.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Positive vibes sent this way tomorrow afternoon would be much appreciated. Having our first early neutral evaluation thing with our attorneys to figure out custody and how much money I will have to fork over to mister cheater. I will honestly be surprised if he shows up, I’m fully expecting him to not be there.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe I missed the context but why is your doctor prescribing a laxative for a kid that is having frequent BMs?

The context is, the BMs are very small. He hasn't had a full BM for a while, the rest of the time it's like golf ball size or smaller. Small plus frequent seems to indicate constipation

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Koivunen posted:

Positive vibes sent this way tomorrow afternoon would be much appreciated. Having our first early neutral evaluation thing with our attorneys to figure out custody and how much money I will have to fork over to mister cheater. I will honestly be surprised if he shows up, I’m fully expecting him to not be there.

I am sending you as much positive vibes and him as much get hit by a bus vibes as I possibly can

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I know it was just a fluke at this age but hearing our 4mo say "Mama" to my wife gave us both the happys :kimchi:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are the best options for a "college fund" we got some checks at a recent birthday party, so uh, I guess we need to get started on that now

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

What are the best options for a "college fund" we got some checks at a recent birthday party, so uh, I guess we need to get started on that now

We use a 529 account for ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

L0cke17 posted:

We use a 529 account for ours.

Yeah my state (Maryland) has a 529. It was easy to set up so that the grandparents can just gift him money directly on birthdays.