Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
image recognition for autonomous cars is just too hard so everybody else has to embed an rfid chip in their brain or be murdered by a self-driving tesla and then have their estate sued for damage to the tesla's hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
y'all ever think about drive thrus

we literally have restaurants for cars

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a car can't eat a happy meal WTF is going on

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dolphin posted:

The lines regularly stretch into the street here because a handful of people can't be bothered to get out of their cars to eat

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

please insert coins into your beacon if you want to live

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/christos_ioa/status/1456996351460487170

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

reminds me of Hudson WI (first city after you cross the border from Minnesota to WI), specifically the second exit

just garbage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

so completely and thoroughly carbrained that they see it as "an useful rest stop!" instead of questioning the framework that lead them to see it this way

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I saw someone posting a picture of the beautiful nature around that picture and saying it's actually not as bad as it looks???

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This sucks so much rear end.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

pointsofdata posted:

I saw someone posting a picture of the beautiful nature around that picture and saying it's actually not as bad as it looks???

*a picture of the surroundings of Midgar* look at all these beautiful plains and the sun setting on the ocean horizon! shinra isn't really destroying the planet, terrorist.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

1. pull the safety beacon off your kid's new bike
2. walk over to nearest freeway
3. throw safety beacon directly in front of fast moving tesla
4. worldstar

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay, nah. buy a million of these beacons and throw them all over the streets and highways.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pryor on Fire posted:

1. pull the safety beacon off your kid's new bike
2. walk over to nearest freeway
3. throw safety beacon directly in front of fast moving tesla
4. worldstar
:hmmyes:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

pointsofdata posted:

ah yes, the area so beautiful that a substantial portion of the apocalypse movie The Road was filmed there

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Drivers already aren't at fault for killing pedestrians and cyclists, what's a loving beacon gonna change lol. This is just a formal declaration that if you're killed by an "AI", it's your fault no matter what

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

The things this mfin country will do instead of building a bike lane or a train, it's just unreal lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

That's Düsseldorf in 1991

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
pretty sure that's the sa frontpage if you turn adblocker off

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The highway signs are visible in the picture, you could find out where it is quite trivially

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/mindtides/status/1457391180329664513

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Last night I stopped by the worst part of town (the newest shopping development) and realized how popular it is on Saturday nights--parking lot was packed and stores/restaurants/theater full of people--and I don't understand how this has replaced malls. It's the same stores as a mall would have, but there's no interior for walking around and socializing. Just parking and walking directly into the store. Is it mostly that newer developments beat aging malls?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Last night I stopped by the worst part of town (the newest shopping development) and realized how popular it is on Saturday nights--parking lot was packed and stores/restaurants/theater full of people--and I don't understand how this has replaced malls. It's the same stores as a mall would have, but there's no interior for walking around and socializing. Just parking and walking directly into the store. Is it mostly that newer developments beat aging malls?

Those shopping centers are the carbrained way of emulating walkable downtowns, a downtown you have to drive to

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

a universal hellcar system

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
that person: hell yeah i support m4a: manycars 4 all

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

what a loving boomer

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

this is the famous stretch of freeway with stoplights on it in PA. there was some stupid fight over who should pay for ramps and nobody blinked

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Those shopping centers are the carbrained way of emulating walkable downtowns, a downtown you have to drive to

But that's what malls were already. We've traded out the one that actually has common areas for one that doesn't, and even car people should see the downgrade there.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Make it permanent
https://twitter.com/MikeLydon/status/1457324152499679234

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

But that's what malls were already. We've traded out the one that actually has common areas for one that doesn't, and even car people should see the downgrade there.

These outdoor things provide even more atomization and (very important) less space for Those drat Teens to loiter all day and get into trouble. You really want to go to the mall and have to walk around between different stores? Nah, you want to go into store A, buy some poo poo, get back in your car, drive to the other end of the massive parking lot, get more poo poo at store B, etc.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Dolphin posted:

my favourite thing about drive thrus here is that they often close at 10pm to everyone except cars

you want fast food at midnight? gently caress you you should own a car

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Pollo Blanco posted:

my favourite thing about drive thrus here is that they often close at 10pm to everyone except cars

lol yeah and now they banned walking up to the window because you could get murdered by a car

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i was in the peace corps when the pandemic hit, got evacuated from my country and stuck in some lovely hotel in a DC suburb with all the other volunteers i was in country with. only things around were fast food joints, but sit in dining was closed at all of them. we had just gotten off a plane so none of us had cars, so while we were in a holding pattern waiting for our chartered flights back home, the only way we could eat outside of continental breakfast was to call ubers to take us through the taco bell drive thru

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

God Hole posted:

i was in the peace corps when the pandemic hit, got evacuated from my country and stuck in some lovely hotel in a DC suburb with all the other volunteers i was in country with. only things around were fast food joints, but sit in dining was closed at all of them. we had just gotten off a plane so none of us had cars, so while we were in a holding pattern waiting for our chartered flights back home, the only way we could eat outside of continental breakfast was to call ubers to take us through the taco bell drive thru

welcome back 2 america, land of car

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

El Pollo Blanco posted:

They literally wont serve you if you're on a bike lol.

I told one I do have a car and ill bring it back and show it to them if they want but they didnt go for it

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
gently caress, the comments on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6fdCkpCRgU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sat on my keys! posted:

These outdoor things provide even more atomization and (very important) less space for Those drat Teens to loiter all day and get into trouble. You really want to go to the mall and have to walk around between different stores? Nah, you want to go into store A, buy some poo poo, get back in your car, drive to the other end of the massive parking lot, get more poo poo at store B, etc.
what you're describing is are stripmalls, which have existed for many decades. and they're dying but backfilled with cheap nail salons, vape shops, bail bonds, and probably some other random stuff. they're usually clustered so you drive to one part of a stripmall and then drive across the large street to another stripmall

modern "outdoor malls" are usually some form of mixed-development with apartments over retail with usually park/walking adjacent large sidewalks with parking usually directed slightly offsite to a few lots instead of surrounded by frontal lots.

the primary problem with "indoor malls" is b/c cars bad; but secondary problems is they're loving huge requiring lots of AC and poo poo, have no apartments or mixed-use, typically isolated out in the exurbs surrounded by freeways and parking, and the concept of large "anchor store" with a giant macys or nodrstroms is a massive footprint that nobody really needed or uses having a ton of dead space.

this would be a fairly typical "modern outdoor mall"

still absolute hell but a different form of hell. at least you get some vitamin d from it

Mayor Dave posted:

this is absolutely correct

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They still make fancy strip malls like the one I was talking about. It's the place to be on Saturday night for families and teens apparently.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fitzy Fitz posted:

you know what you always find in aging malls? poor people and immigrants, that's what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

you have to walk around the mall. people don't want to walk. they want to drive right up to their store.