Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I can see some detractions against it. But it is a top tier game still. Lots of fun, everything just works on it. The phone game has been worked on a bit and it rules I can just whip out Chrono Trigger on my Android anytime I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I played the new Mario Party game last night.

For some context, I'm trying to get :smug: ~*~my wife~*~ :smug: into video games so I thought this could be a good game for that. I've never played it but I know people who have and they recommended it as an obvious choice for a lighthearted party kind of thing. We set it up so it was her and me against two CPU players set on Easy just to mess around. Started playing on Yoshi's island or whatever the level is called.

We were having a great time right up until the very end of the game. In the board game, there's a mechanic that can randomly swap all stars and coins between any two random players. Not either stars or coins, but "Player A gives all of their stars and all of their coins to Player B in exchange for all of Player B's stars and coins. Two turns before the end of the game, where my wife and I had both earned a good amount of stars and coins as I was helping her out with mini games and figuring stuff out, and we were kind of clobering the CPU characters, this happened to my wife. A CPU character landed on a special event spot where that character has to roll to determine two random characters to swap a random collection of their resources. The dice was rolled and boom. The situation was Character C landed on that spot and rolled dice such that that my wife's character had to trade all of her stars and coins (like, 3 stars and 90 coins) with CPU character D, who had played the whole game poorly and had literally 0 stars and like 3 coins... two turns before the game ended, leaving my wife's character coinless and starless, and the "Easy" CPU character sitting with tons of resources.

Can anybody explain to me how this mechanic doesn't invalidate literally the entire game?

At that stage of the game, you're literally trading your entire game's progress with somebody else. It's not even internally consistent. What is the point of even having a board game format that tracks stars and coins and whatever else at all if there's a mechanic that just randomly swaps literally every resource owned by one character with another character with literally nothing either character can do to influence it? So you spend the entire game playing well and racking up points and there's only one or two turns left in the game? Guess what? gently caress you! This other character landed on a spot so now everything you have done for the entire game goes to that other character who sucked at everything and has nothing, and there's nothing you can do about it, and you have no time to make up any of it. Have a great day!

So I'm honestly asking, why does the board game part of Mario Party exist at all if it's just chaos and nothing matters and anybody's points can go to anybody else at any time because gently caress you? I realize I'm getting more annoyed than I should but I was excited to be able to play video games with my wife, and I think this poo poo has put her off them for a good while, and I don't blame her. Why would anybody play any game with a "progress" system if out of nowhere, without warning beforehand, it can just be completely invalidated at any time with no ability to influence it?

So, yeah. Sorry for blowing up, but based on this event alone I'm saying the game sucks, is bullshit, and shouldn't be played by anybody.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 7, 2021

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I bet my dad could beat Chrono Trigger in a fight

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
chrono trigger cant be the best snes rpg because front mission exists

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Blue Dragon was also good and they should remaster it for PC, Switch and Xbox.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 22, 2021

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Relevant Tangent posted:

Haven't bought the expansion pak yet, do people feel like they've gotten their money's worth?

If you join a family plan, it's only ten bucks for the full content, which is a good buy. There's a thread in SA Mart if you wanted to find a group.

There's really no reason anyone should buy the 50 dollar service when there's a much better option available.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I don't like Secret of Mana as much as I feel like I should. I like Legend of Mana and Sword of Mana. But not huge on Secret.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GreatGreen posted:

For some context, I'm trying to get :smug: ~*~my wife~*~ :smug: into video games so I thought this could be a good game for that. I've never played it but I know people who have and they recommended it as an obvious choice for a lighthearted party kind of thing. We set it up so it was her and me against two CPU players set on Easy just to mess around. Started playing on Yoshi's island or whatever the level is called.

We were having a great time right up until the very end of the game. In the board game, there's a mechanic that can randomly swap all stars and coins between any two random players. Not either stars or coins, but "Player A gives all of their stars and all of their coins to Player B in exchange for all of Player B's stars and coins. Two turns before the end of the game, where my wife and I had both earned a good amount of stars and coins as I was helping her out with mini games and figuring stuff out, and we were kind of clobering the CPU characters, this happened to my wife. A CPU character landed on a special event spot where that character has to roll to determine two random characters to swap a random collection of their resources. The dice was rolled and boom. The situation was Character C landed on that spot and rolled dice such that that my wife's character had to trade all of her stars and coins (like, 3 stars and 90 coins) with CPU character D, who had played the whole game poorly and had literally 0 stars and like 3 coins... two turns before the game ended, leaving my wife's character coinless and starless, and the "Easy" CPU character sitting with tons of resources.

Can anybody explain to me how this mechanic doesn't invalidate literally the entire game?

At that stage of the game, you're literally trading your entire game's progress with somebody else. It's not even internally consistent. What is the point of even having a board game format that tracks stars and coins and whatever else at all if there's a mechanic that just randomly swaps literally every resource owned by one character with another character with literally nothing either character can do to influence it? So you spend the entire game playing well and racking up points and there's only one or two turns left in the game? Guess what? gently caress you! This other character landed on a spot so now everything you have done for the entire game goes to that other character who sucked at everything and has nothing, and there's nothing you can do about it, and you have no time to make up any of it. Have a great day!

So I'm honestly asking, why does the board game part of Mario Party exist at all if it's just chaos and nothing matters and anybody's points can go to anybody else at any time because gently caress you? I realize I'm getting more annoyed than I should but I was excited to be able to play video games with my wife, and I think this poo poo has put her off them for a good while, and I don't blame her. Why would anybody play any game with a "progress" system if out of nowhere, without warning beforehand, it can just be completely invalidated at any time with no ability to influence it?

So, yeah. Sorry for blowing up, but based on this event alone I'm saying the game sucks, is bullshit, and shouldn't be played by anybody.
Lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This thread owns so much lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i agree with that guy which is why the true pro gaming option is 10/10 game Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Imagine complaining about the best part of Mario Party

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

That's mario party in a nutshell. You don't play to win, because the game will gently caress you. It hates you. Play for the moment to moment minigames

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in all honesty you shouldn't play with CPU characters because nobody likes it when CPU Chance Times your rear end while it's hysterical when someone in the room does it

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i agree with that guy which is why the true pro gaming option is 10/10 game Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics

This. Unironically. I wish people made more simple classic games.

I want a trivia game that isn't a lazy rear end Jeopardy mess too.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 22, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lastdancer posted:

ROBO. TREK.

Never heard of it, much less played it.

Seriously considered replacing Secret of Mana with Uncharted Horizons 2 though

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That's mario party in a nutshell. You don't play to win because the game will gently caress you. It hates you. Play for the moment to moment minigames

Well now I know. The mini games are fun but goddamn that was a curveball at the end. I wouldn't be so mad if it happened to me but to see it happen to somebody just getting into video games sucks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chrono trigger is pretty good but the combat is fairly boring so it's not even near the top of my favorites

also it doesn't have a job system

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

me in the last thread posted:

mario party in particular requires that you be okay with losing through no fault of your own

if this idea induces a tantrum then it is time to reflect

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

GreatGreen posted:

hahahahahahahaha

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Andrast posted:

sounds good

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 22, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Andrast posted:

Chrono trigger is pretty good but the combat is fairly boring so it's not even near the top of my favorites

To be honest any game that has tried to add flavor to combat usually just becomes tedious like Octopath. I'd rather something simple and streamlined. Sooner or later I'm going to get bored on the 500th fight regardless of what gimmicks you're throwing my way.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Is this post from 1998. What the gently caress

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

chrono trigger is just fun and games until you need catch that rat in 2300 A.D.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mai wife

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 22, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Why would anybody play any game with a "progress" system if out of nowhere, without warning beforehand, it can just be completely invalidated at any time with no ability to influence it?

You're not going to like the answer but that's Mario Party. Hell that's a lot of "Mario" brand multiplayer games. Things like Mario Kart have items specifically to gently caress the day of the people in first and it has nothing to do with skill. And if you play Smash Bros with items, it doesn't matter all that much how good or bad you are at the game.
The idea is to greatly equalize the playing field and give everyone a chance. Your wife seems to manage to play the game just fine, but imagine if she was awful at the game. She's the one with zero stars. Well, now she gets a chance to win. It's more fun when it's person to person, and if you can take it in stride, but it's definitely purposeful.

The chaos of Mario multiplayer games is just that. Hopefully you can learn to enjoy it but if you can't that's understandable.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

To be honest any game that has tried to add flavor to combat usually just becomes tedious like Octopath. I'd rather something simple and streamlined. Sooner or later I'm going to get bored on the 500th fight regardless of what gimmicks you're throwing my way.

I really liked Octopath, but it's true some of the random late game battles were just taking up time. They were very beatable, but the game's mechanics made the whole thing take longer than I would like at times.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You're not going to like the answer but that's Mario Party. Hell that's a lot of "Mario" brand multiplayer games. Things like Mario Kart have items specifically to gently caress the day of the people in first and it has nothing to do with skill. And if you play Smash Bros with items, it doesn't matter all that much how good or bad you are at the game.
The idea is to greatly equalize the playing field and give everyone a chance. Your wife seems to manage to play the game just fine, but imagine if she was awful at the game. She's the one with zero stars. Well, now she gets a chance to win. It's more fun when it's person to person, and if you can take it in stride, but it's definitely purposeful.

The chaos of Mario multiplayer games is just that. Hopefully you can learn to enjoy it but if you can't that's understandable.

Yeah I get that. We play Mario Kart all the time and getting knocked from 1st or 2nd place to like 8th is common and expected. I guess neither of us were expecting it from a board game. We did have fun otherwise though with the minigames, they're good. I'm thinking we'll just stick to picking minigames from the big lists a la carte from now on.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

Well now I know. The mini games are fun but goddamn that was a curveball at the end. I wouldn't be so mad if it happened to me but to see it happen to somebody just getting into video games sucks.

Yeah mario party games have always been like that. Like others have said, it's more fun when it's another person in the room (rather than a computer player) because then you get all the hootin and hollerin and "you mother fucker" moments.

I think Super Mario Party had a mode where you can just play the minigames instead of going through the whole board game thing, if you'd rather do that. I don't know if this newest one has that feature though

Sounds like you guys were having fun up to the point when she got hosed over...it'll be worth going back to it with the correct mindset!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah mario party games have always been like that. Like others have said, it's more fun when it's another person in the room (rather than a computer player) because then you get all the hootin and hollerin and "you mother fucker" moments.

I think Super Mario Party had a mode where you can just play the minigames instead of going through the whole board game thing, if you'd rather do that. I don't know if this newest one has that feature though

Sounds like you guys were having fun up to the point when she got hosed over...it'll be worth going back to it with the correct mindset!

Also if you remember what CPU it was (Wario, Peach whatever) you now have an ingame rival to CRUSH to her delight in future rounds.

Anthropomorphize that AI.

My sister and I had a vendetta against that loving Blue Bomber in Super Bomberman. That fucker would always get us.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

lol yeah I'd have much rather the situation have happened with 4 people so at least the coins and stars wouldn't feel like they were just sorta sucked back into the game or whatever. I guess the whole thing is on me, really. I should have known to read up on the game more to spot these kind of gotcha moments.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The three biggest friendship-ruiners have to be Mario Party, Monopoly, and Mario Kart. Uno's up there, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waffle! posted:

The three biggest friendship-ruiners have to be Mario Party, Monopoly, and Mario Kart. Uno's up there, too.

New Super Mario Bros Wii and it's not even close

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Imagine getting divorced over mario party

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Waffle! posted:

This is Dokapon Kingdom erasure.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is Dokapon Kingdom erasure.

There is something special about being in last, becoming a demon, and then setting the game back 3 hours out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Lastdancer posted:

Added to the『OP Post』.

lol