Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

But when Davies’ tenure begins in 2023, he will instead work with Bad Wolf Studios to make the show

Whoa, so wait, are we in for a year+ minimum hiatus before new who again after flux?

sadly in my head for some reason i thought that basically once flux had aired they would be starting on the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, so wait, are we in for a year+ minimum hiatus before new who again after flux?

sadly in my head for some reason i thought that basically once flux had aired they would be starting on the next one.

There'll be three specials from Chibnall/Whittaker next year before the regeneration scene, which will presumably be filmed by RTD and his new production crew as has been the tradition up till now, then the new Doctor's first series will air in 2023.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

Flux will air this year, thern there's 3 specials next year, including Jodie's finale (including the regeneration, presumably).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I read that article earlier as well; from what I gather, the BBC will no longer be responsible for producing DW (or any of the spinoffs RTD wants to do). They retain merchandising rights to the series, and I think distribution as well, but the actual production, creative control, etc. all go to Bad Wolf now.

Also Sony is apparently considering buying Bad Wolf, so make of that what you will.

That's maybe the best of both worlds in some ways (in this specific case, at least). It means Doctor Who will continue after RTD decides to pass the torch, but that they're not going to stick their fingers into his creative vision and that any spinoffs he wants to produce, he'll have to pitch on their own merits and leverage his existing relationships to get them going. He's still going to spread himself too thin because that's who he is, but we know what that means for main line Doctor Who, and his abundant love for the series coupled with some outside voices on what's going to actually work for a spin-off in the current age of streaming services competing to become prestige TV will limit what new material they come up with.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

BooDooBoo posted:

That's what they said about Noel's House Party.

I'm not sure I want to know, but what'd be the Who equivalent to Crinkley Bottom in this analogy?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Lotus Aura posted:

I'm not sure I want to know, but what'd be the Who equivalent to Crinkley Bottom in this analogy?

Crinkley Bottom = Earth
Gunge tank = Tardis
Noel = Reverend Wainwright
Mr Blobby = Fenric

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Flux will air this year, thern there's 3 specials next year, including Jodie's finale (including the regeneration, presumably).

Does the new year's day episode count as one of the 3 specials?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Garvey posted:

Does the new year's day episode count as one of the 3 specials?

Looks like it, yes. I bet we get Christmas Day episodes again when RTD comes in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jesus christ, this is trash :(

*bishop meets the dog-thing*

……jesus christ, this is trash :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m so annoyed that my favourite part of this episode is the white dude lmao but Bishop is really good and funny. The rest is very poo poo, obviously, but with enough intrigue that I’ll check out at least one more

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Looks like it, yes. I bet we get Christmas Day episodes again when RTD comes in.

I never liked any of the DW Xmas Day episodes, but with that said it was absolutely nuts for Chibnall to shift them to New Year's Day. On Christmas Day you have the whole family together, either watching DW or at least putting it on for the kids while the grownups start cleaning up/passing out after dinner. On New Year's Day people are recovering from hangovers...but then, given how bland Chibnall's DW tends to be, maybe that's the TV equivalent of "white toast and a glass of milk" to a person with a particularly nasty hangover and/or upset stomach. :v:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm pretty meh on all the Christmas stories except for the Christmas Carol one. That I think is on my top five of all doctor who stories, it's so good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I don't really understand most of what happened in this episode. There was a storm (the "flux") that was going to destroy the Earth, but the dog ships blocked it? Which they always had the power to do, but they never thought to do it in a way that would protect the Earth? They were just going to take every person off the planet instead? And, while the Earth is (maybe?) saved now, the Doctor is not, right?

And the dog was being chased by the Doctor for...reasons? And the one guy's house was shrunk...why? Some defense mechanism left behind by the dog?

And then there's also the super evil alien who has been in a prison for thousands of years but is now free because of something? And he has a girlfriend who was trapped as another person? And they were warned of the evil alien being free, but the other person this girlfriend was trapped inside destroyed the warning system only to be turned back into the girlfriend? What happened here?

And then the Sontarans are...around? Maybe caused the flux as a first strike, maybe just taking advantage of it? Oh, and the one woman who recognized the Doctor but was then grabbed by the Weeping Angel out of nowhere and sent to god knows where?

I feel like there's more that confused me that I forgot. And it's just the first episode of a six part series. So fine, I'll keep waiting. But it's hard to even say I don't like it, because I have no idea what the hell I just watched.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I don't really understand most of what happened in this episode. There was a storm (the "flux") that was going to destroy the Earth, but the dog ships blocked it? Which they always had the power to do, but they never thought to do it in a way that would protect the Earth? They were just going to take every person off the planet instead? And, while the Earth is (maybe?) saved now, the Doctor is not, right?

Well, we don't know if it actually worked yet, and it's more that the dog guys weren't taking risks - they think their ships should be proof against the Flux, but it's still safer to take everyone out of its path than try to form the barrier (plus even if the barrier works, unless the Flux is dealt with they can't really do much now, other than maintain the barrier).

Of course, based on what they know of it, there's no reason it wouldn't eventually reach wherever they went, but I guess a postponed death is better than an immediate one?

thrawn527 posted:

And the dog was being chased by the Doctor for...reasons?

She says something to him about him being the last lead she has for a living member of the Division, so it's something related to the whole Timeless Child thing (unfortunately) that she's trying to follow up on.

thrawn527 posted:

And the one guy's house was shrunk...why? Some defense mechanism left behind by the dog?

Yes.

thrawn527 posted:

And then there's also the super evil alien who has been in a prison for thousands of years but is now free because of something? And he has a girlfriend who was trapped as another person? And they were warned of the evil alien being free, but the other person this girlfriend was trapped inside destroyed the warning system only to be turned back into the girlfriend? What happened here?

And then the Sontarans are...around? Maybe caused the flux as a first strike, maybe just taking advantage of it? Oh, and the one woman who recognized the Doctor but was then grabbed by the Weeping Angel out of nowhere and sent to god knows where?

Yeah I'm torn between this is either setup that'll make much more sense with context, or they just didn't think too hard about parts of it. We'll see, I guess?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm kind of assuming the next few episodes will each explore one of the mystery questions set-up and then a finale that brings them altogether and ties or unties a knot wrt to the Timeless Child and/or Timeless Childses

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

I'm kind of assuming the next few episodes will each explore one of the mystery questions set-up and then a finale that brings them altogether and ties or unties a knot wrt to the Timeless Child and/or Timeless Childses

This makes the most sense, and I feel dumb for not having thought of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha i just rewound an old episode because I was confused where tf rory and amy came from, and the doctor just teleported rory, amy, rory dad, and the ladder onto the ship without warning in transit to today's adventure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Yeah this is what I believe the season's 6 episode idea is about, everything that happens each episode is going to tie together and recontextualize the first episode, and indeed the next 2-3 episdes are likely to continue to introduce things that won't fully make sense till the 6th episode (if then) when everything comes together.

If Chibnall can pull it off, good! There was certainly enough going on in the first episode to make me want to see how it gets (hopefully) resolved.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Keisse J posted:

She says something to him about him being the last lead she has for a living member of the Division, so it's something related to the whole Timeless Child thing (unfortunately) that she's trying to follow up on.

"The Division" is an interesting name, maybe it's actually talking about the Jo Doctor being split from the "real" Doctor?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BooDooBoo posted:

"The Division" is an interesting name, maybe it's actually talking about the Jo Doctor being split from the "real" Doctor?

Chibbers has been very explicit about the show not doing this, since it'd undermine the PoC casting to make her an alternative or a clone or whatever. It'd suggest the first black Doctor didn't, in some way, "count".

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Chibbers has been very explicit about the show not doing this, since it'd undermine the PoC casting to make her an alternative or a clone or whatever. It'd suggest the first black Doctor didn't, in some way, "count".

I meant more that she's been divided from her own menory, a bit like the War Doctor, except she was hidden with Timelord science, because the Sugarskulls needed to be locked away and forgotten for some reason.

She'd have to be an earlier Doctor, because a later one would have just done a Family of Blood to them.

She's THE DOCTOR, but she's not remembered by The Doctor, until that gets fixed and she regenerates into Pertwee, and then we can team Jo up with Jamie on Big Finish, because Jamie is the best.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

BooDooBoo posted:

I meant more that she's been divided from her own menory, a bit like the War Doctor, except she was hidden with Timelord science, because the Sugarskulls needed to be locked away and forgotten for some reason.

She'd have to be an earlier Doctor, because a later one would have just done a Family of Blood to them.

She's THE DOCTOR, but she's not remembered by The Doctor, until that gets fixed and she regenerates into Pertwee, and then we can team Jo up with Jamie on Big Finish, because Jamie is the best.

"The Division is some weird split thing with the Doctor's consciousness being divided and every character we were introduced to (Claire, Vinder, Karvanista) are versions of the Doctor" - Chibnall probably, extolling the brilliance of revealing the first non-human conforming Doctor

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

New thread? Perfect time for the....

:siren: THE 2021 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again! I'm launching it a bit earlier this year because postal systems are already announcing they're going to be incredibly overloaded, so here's some extra time to beat the rush!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into a hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No, really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: https://forms.gle/rG2pT2UAxy9MuJb77

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject line, please include the tag [DWSS].

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINES: The deadline for sign-ups is Monday November 8th! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

Try to have your gift mailed out by Friday December 10th

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£20-25) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) WORK ADDRESSES: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you can agree to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: https://www.royalmail.com/christmas/last-posting-dates

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/holiday-shipping-dates.htm/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by Friday December 10th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat Santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1456625584570867714?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BooDooBoo posted:

:hmmyes:

Aww man, :rip:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm guessing that means the K9 vs. Omega movie is on ice then.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Edward Mass posted:

I'm guessing that means the K9 vs. Omega movie is on ice then.

From what I read, they intend to continue Bob’s various projects in memoriam of him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Caught a late night with signing repeat just now after completely missing it was back. Found it incoherent rubbish even by recent Who standards and couldn’t get past the dog dude looking like the hilarious yappy dog ‘werewolf’ from the end of The Howling. In a just world, Chibbers would be locked up for wasting Jodie and tanking the show so badly but nevermind. Bollocks to Chibnall and his nonsense, more Doomlord chat imo - I loved how the good one rented a room and watched Corrie with his landlady inbetween zipping off to save the world. Give me a Doomlord show, dammit.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1456933319975833605?s=20

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What time do new episodes go up for purchase via Apple? I'm re-entering airport hell tomorrow but I'll try to catch flux episode 2 if I can

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Thanks to Pluto tv, last night I watched my first McCoy serial (Paradise Towers) and lemme just say, red kangs are best.

No further notes to give.

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
I think I’m really going to like this season! I have so many unanswered questions after watching the first episode.

I’m hoping they answer them in later episodes. The flux looks really cool, the evil villain with crystals in his skull, looks amazing.

Most importantly Dan! He’s a legend, his opening scene talking about Liverpool and the pride the people of Liverpool feel for their city, great intro! Even if he is from Runcorn and not Liverpool. Think he’s the only wool who’s been given honorary scouse status.

The dog! Bad boy to good boy, was a nice twist! I like that his honour morals means he will save his human but he’s really unhappy about it, kind of made me laugh in a way. I kind of relate to it, reminds me of going to work and doing it to the best of my ability but still not being happy I had to go to work.

I see a lot of you are not very excited about the writer chibnall but I’m really excited to see we’re this goes but at the same time hoping your not all right and I get let down.

I also thought personally this will be Jodie’s best season!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I thought the first episode was ok, and hope the rest of the season actually answers the questions asked. Also: the bloody flux is old timey slang for dysentery, so that was going through my mind every time they said flux.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

BIgDevine posted:

I think I’m really going to like this season! I have so many unanswered questions after watching the first episode.

I’m hoping they answer them in later episodes. The flux looks really cool, the evil villain with crystals in his skull, looks amazing.

Most importantly Dan! He’s a legend, his opening scene talking about Liverpool and the pride the people of Liverpool feel for their city, great intro! Even if he is from Runcorn and not Liverpool. Think he’s the only wool who’s been given honorary scouse status.

The dog! Bad boy to good boy, was a nice twist! I like that his honour morals means he will save his human but he’s really unhappy about it, kind of made me laugh in a way. I kind of relate to it, reminds me of going to work and doing it to the best of my ability but still not being happy I had to go to work.

I see a lot of you are not very excited about the writer chibnall but I’m really excited to see we’re this goes but at the same time hoping your not all right and I get let down.

I also thought personally this will be Jodie’s best season!

I was impressed by the Williamson Tunnels stuff as well! It seems like quite an obscure bit of history for Doctor Who, shows they have really put effort into getting the know the location.

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

Annabel Pee posted:

I was impressed by the Williamson Tunnels stuff as well! It seems like quite an obscure bit of history for Doctor Who, shows they have really put effort into getting the know the location.

This is a great point! I was surprised also by this, to see such a key liverpool figure in the show was great. Can’t wait to see how the tunnels work in the doctor who context.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Previously on Doctor Who: A bunch of loud noises and flashing lights with no coherence whatsoever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That house is loving awesome.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

:siren: THE 2021 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Aww man I don't think I can take part this year but I heartily recommend everyone else to do so!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, I'm just going to say it; They need to give up on the sontarans being taken seriously as a threat. I dont care how many revamps they give them, that ship has absolutely sailed.

Also, I'm assuming the water in the background is the Crimea River.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Okay, I'm just going to say it; They need to give up on the sontarans being taken seriously as a threat. I dont care how many revamps they give them, that ship has absolutely sailed.

Now come on that's unfa-

watches Sontarans fail to hit Dan from 3 feet away with laser guns, then get beat up by pensioners

Oh.