Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only RPG on the SNES that is better than Chrono Trigger is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars but that’s not even fair really because it was the absolute best team Square had ever had before the merger combined with the unlimited resources of Nintendo. Nothing Nintendo has ever produced in the genre of RPGs has ever even been half as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
SMRPG is overrated and ugly as sin.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

American McGay posted:

Did you even play the game lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Impressive that you can post while blind and also that stupid

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Imagine getting divorced over mario party

Oh we didn't get mad at each other. Actually we both got collectively mad at the game together so I guess you could say it was a positive thing for us overall lol. But I think I got more mad than she did because she's not great at video games in general so when she was having a good time and the rug got pulled out from under her, to me it felt like a bullying thing. And yeah I realize the game can't "know" she's not very good but it did feel particularly lame. Like if it happened to me I'd have just laughed it off but she's new at games and is still getting on her feet, doesn't really know how all this stuff works, etc, so it just put a sour taste in our mouths since neither one of us knew it was something that could happen.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 7, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The first two Paper Mario games are pretty incredible RPGs as well.

Also Origami King is fantastic even though it's more of a Zelda game with puzzle combat instead of an RPG but it wasn't TTYD2 so everyone called it poo poo anyways.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the DS mario & luigi RPGs if those count as Nintendo produced.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think my favorite virtual board game remains: Board Game Top Shop on the PS1. We found that in a bargain bin and just loved playing it.

It has bullshit factors that can instantly bankrupt you and aspects that serve no point like Chirp Chirp shoes (shoes that make a sound effect, cost a ton, and do nothing else), but it was great fun and shutting down your friends stores to put up your own never got old.

I think board games need a touch of chaos, because if it's just skill it's a done deal if you're not all the same level of good.

I was generally the best of my friends at Melee, so after we did our try-hard fights and people would start getting discouraged, we'd start doing free-for-alls with or w/out items and that would just be fun. People ganging up on one another or just doing bullshit. If it's just skill it's not going to be fun for everyone.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
SMRPG like most faux 3D games looks fine on a CRT but emulating it makes it look blocky and ugly

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

American McGay posted:

yuip. thankfully it paved the way for two good mario rpgs in paper mario 1 and 2

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

SMRPG looks fine on a CRT emulating it makes it look blocky and ugly

crts are garbage and basically don't exist anymore so why does that matter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think board games need a touch of chaos, because if it's just skill it's a done deal if you're not all the same level of good.

one reason i liked mahjong (the japanese variant) was that the combination of skill and luck give it the thrill of gambling while still letting good players win on average. Poker has the same sort of deal though I'm not familiar with that at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they do look slightly better on CRT or with a good filter but i can't go back to almost any of those pre-rendered sprite games. DKC still looks like liquid rear end. the only thing that looks worse is those photo-generated sprite games like OG Mortal Kombat

i actually have an easier time these days with N64/PS1-era 3D graphics, a lot of which was very well done when they played around the limitations of the time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Andrast posted:

Just saying it looked okay back then on the display tech is was designed for don’t blow a gasket

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
it didnt

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

why is everyone in this thread always so aggro and so wrong. what happened

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mia Wasikowska posted:

No war but console war

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mia Wasikowska posted:

It's been years since BoTW2 was announced with only one other trailer to show for it and we want it the gently caress already

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Mia Wasikowska posted:

be the change you want to see

what have you been enjoying recently

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

American McGay posted:

This is a bad take.

Why all these bad takes in this thread?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
If any SNES game is overrated by random Nintendo nerds it's Earthbound which is a really good game. But definitely has all sorts of weird gripes I can thriw at it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mia Wasikowska posted:

i was too aggro but not wrong

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What would be the top 5 SNES JRPG's that aren't Chrono Trigger?

Like I'm not talking about it when talking Final Fantasy, but CT is a class of its own.

Excluding CT, my top five SNES-RPGs would be:

1.) Lufia II
2.) Secret of Mana
3.) Terranigma
4.) Illusion of Time
5.) Breath of Fire II

Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy V and a couple others would be part of the list if this were a top ten, I'm just not listing them because it's the top 5!!!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
terranigma balls

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is Dokapon Kingdom erasure.

I've played Dokapon a couple of times and that game is absolute misery even when having a CPU player to gently caress over or collectively get mad at. A couple of bad RNG rolls can keep you in last for hours and it is complete hell.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Libluini posted:

1.) Lufia II
2.) Secret of Mana
3.) Terranigma
4.) Illusion of Time
5.) Breath of Fire II

Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy V and a couple others would be part of the list if this were a top ten, I'm just not listing them because it's the top 5!!!

I completed lufia 1 but lufia 2 bored me really fast with its ridiculously high encounter rate, so I'll politely ask you to argue for it.

Never played terranigma, I'll have to look that one up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Libluini posted:

1.) Lufia II
2.) Secret of Mana
3.) Terranigma
4.) Illusion of Time
5.) Breath of Fire II

I should definitely play some of the SNES rpgs i missed since i never played anything but the "big" ones

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

I completed lufia 1 but lufia 2 bored me really fast with its ridiculously high encounter rate, so I'll politely ask you to argue for it.

Never played terranigma, I'll have to look that one up

Lufia 2 has a zero encounter rate, as all enemies are there on the battlefield. If you walk into everyone instead of paralyzing them with your arrows, that's on you (though I liked the battle system enough I still tried to kill everything, it's just that I could just walk away if fatigue set in)

Lufia 1 never came out in Germany, and if you play Lufia 2 first it just looks like an uglier, worse version of Lufia 2 so you can't really get into it anymore

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 7, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Chrono Trigger never really grabbed me any time I tried to play it, but I understand why it's rated so highly and there's no arguing just how influential it was on RPGs moving into the PS1 era.

SNES RPGs I enjoyed when they were new:

Final Fantasy 2/IV
Final Fantasy 3/VI
Secret of Mana
Dragon Warrior 4? One of the early Dragon Quest
Secret of Evermore? I think I played this.

I didn't really become an RPG player until my 20's. During the SNES days it was a lot more fighters, brawlers, sports and racers. Probably my favorite SNES games were Turtles in Time and Battletoads and Double Dragon. Excite Bike is easily my favorite NES game of all time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mia Wasikowska posted:

stuck playing games on the worst console available

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sorry thought i was in the ps5 thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

then why did you mention games. ha ha ha

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You did say available though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tactics Ogre was a SNES game so... that's gotta be it, right?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
its front mission

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is Dokapon Kingdom erasure.

dokapon kingdom is the cruelest multiplayer game of all time

i really love it and desperately want to inflict it on people who have never played it before.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lastdancer posted:

ROBO. TREK.

This poster knows what's up. :hfive:

Zurtilik posted:

I don't like Secret of Mana as much as I feel like I should. I like Legend of Mana and Sword of Mana. But not huge on Secret.

What about Secret of Evermore?

Mister Facetious posted:

Seriously considered replacing Secret of Mana with Uncharted Horizons 2 though

If you haven't tried it yet I strongly recommend you check out Horzion's Gate on Steam. It's very much "what if Uncharted Waters 2 but with a dash of FFT jobs and tactical group combat instead of duels." It seems to have a decently active modding community via Steam workshop as well though I haven't taken the dive into those yet.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

front mission is Okay but it's nowhere near the top 5 or hell even 10 snes games

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Libluini posted:

Lufia 2 has a zero encounter rate, as all enemies are there on the battlefield.

My bad, I meant on the overworld (I haven't played it since ~2003 or so).

Also Maxim's flipper arms were really distracting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

I didn't really become an RPG player until my 20's. During the SNES days it was a lot more fighters, brawlers, sports and racers. Probably my favorite SNES games were Turtles in Time and Battletoads and Double Dragon. Excite Bike is easily my favorite NES game of all time.

I have such high hopes for Shredder's Revenge, I can't even begin to tell you.