Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
Right now I have an AOC AG271QG as my primary monitor and I’ve been wanting a second 27” 1440p IPS to replace an old 23” 1080p TN monitor I’ve been using. I have someone locally selling a Gigabyte M27Q for $230 which seems like a decent deal for another high refresh rate 27” 1440p IPS monitor. I’m waffling on picking it up or not. Reviews seem good but not outstanding or anything as it seems to be a “budget” class monitor. Not entirely sure it would beat out my older AOC for my primary gaming monitor but I’m curious if anyone has any experience with the MG27Q they could share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I hate the 27" 1440p Acer TN monitor I picked up for cheap back when I first built my PC and want to replace it with an IPS one. I've been eyeing this $220 Z-edge model, but does anyone have any experience with this brand? It seems fine from the scant reviews but I've literally never heard of them.
https://www.amazon.com/UG27Q-27-inch-Gaming-Monitor-100Hz/dp/B0919X6HCS

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So you all would recommend a 24” monitor with a higher refresh rate over a 27” monitor with a lower one? I guess I’m trying to gauge the importance of refresh rate, it’s not something I’ve thought about before

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There is a lot of personal preference, but I would say 1440p first, then refresh rate for me. And anything over 120-144hz is of dubious value unless you are the most hardcore of online first person shooter gamer, imo.

The 27in 1440p 144hz IPS “sweet spot” is real and it is nice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

puppy party posted:

Right now I have an AOC AG271QG as my primary monitor and I’ve been wanting a second 27” 1440p IPS to replace an old 23” 1080p TN monitor I’ve been using. I have someone locally selling a Gigabyte M27Q for $230 which seems like a decent deal for another high refresh rate 27” 1440p IPS monitor. I’m waffling on picking it up or not. Reviews seem good but not outstanding or anything as it seems to be a “budget” class monitor. Not entirely sure it would beat out my older AOC for my primary gaming monitor but I’m curious if anyone has any experience with the MG27Q they could share.

I like mine. Two caveats being the BGR subpixel layout (explained below), and IPS glow, but the latter is something most people don't seem to have an issue with and is inherent to IPS screens, not just this model.

Quoting dr video games for the other issue cause they have a good explanation and I'm lazy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The M27Q caps your budget at $300 (edit: $310 currently, looks like), and it's quite excellent for the price except for its BGR subpixel format. Basically, pixels are made up of blocks of red, green, and blue subpixels that shine at different intensities to produce different colors. A BGR display is reversed. Font rendering on PC can happen on a subpixel level, multiplying the effective horizontal resolution of your display by three for the purpose of text rendering. However, if a program is expecting RGB pixels, it will dim the wrong subpixels, and you get an effect that looks like this. That example is taken from an M27Q using Google Sheets. Look at the vertical lines on the N. What google is trying to do: RGBRGB, versus what google is actually doing: BGRBGR

Anyway, that's a lot of time spent talking about one flaw, but honestly a lot of people barely even notice it. If you're going to be mainly gaming, it probably won't be a big deal. That image is blown up by 100 times, but in reality it's a tiny 10-point font and the N would only look only a little off. And most programs actually render text just fine with BGR subpixels, including everything that's cleartype compatible and firefox. I still wouldn't get an M27Q if you work with text a lot in programs that don't support BGR subpixels, but it's a fine monitor for just general web browsing, gaming, video watching, etc.

tl;dr: some, but not too many ime, applications will have slightly blurry text. Some people won't notice this. I do, but I haven't encountered it much outside Chrome's UI.

Also, I like it much more than the LG 27GL83A I tried before it. The one feature I miss is portrait rotation (I'm considering buying a stand for that).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 7, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just bought the M27Q used from Amazon for $260, that looks way better than what I posted above. Thanks all

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

What's the go-to ultrawide for hooking up two systems (work laptop and personal PC) using a KVM? I want to keep my work laptop powered over USB-C all the time and easily switch back and forth. My personal PC is mostly for media/light gaming, don't need 4k or anything. Budget under $1000.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Alright, so I bought a PA247CV, but I'm still a little curious about a PA279CV (the 1440p version is out of stock everywhere at the moment). Would a 3060 Ti handle 4K@60hz alright? I imagine with DLSS and whatnot it'd be less of a big deal. I'm nowhere near a competitive gamer either. And maybe more importantly, I spend a lot of time looking at code and text-heavy things and really want it to just be as smooth as possible. I'll take a look at an M27Q when I'm there too, but the charging situation is still a bummer with that one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So you all would recommend a 24” monitor with a higher refresh rate over a 27” monitor with a lower one? I guess I’m trying to gauge the importance of refresh rate, it’s not something I’ve thought about before

I feel like we've overcomplicated the issue in our discussion. I think that for most people, the refresh rate doesn't matter too as long as you're getting a 144+ Hz display (which is something basically all modern gaming monitors can do). As I suggested earlier, you only want more if you're into really fast-paced competitive games and that kind of thing. In most games, you won't ever come close to maxing out your refresh rate, anyway. The question then becomes a matter of which resolution you want to target. I think for the RTX 3060, both 1080p and 1440p are doable, but it's generally more thought of as a 1080p GPU. Going from 1080p to 1440p results in a ~30% drop in frame rate (on average, it depends on the game and how cpu-heavy it is).

Coolcab was right when he said that lower frame rates can result in worse image quality. This is due to a unique property of LCDs (and other sample-and-hold display technologies such as OLED) called "persistence blur." When objects move on a screen, our eyes move smoothly to track it. However, on a "sample-and-hold" display, that "moving" object is actually static on the screen between each refresh. This means that the object effectively moves in the opposite direction of its motion in our field of vision until it updates again. This may happen very quickly, say, 60 times a second, but the way our brain interprets this phenomenon is as a blurry moving image. The more times a second the image updates, the less our eyes will notice this effect. The first thing you will see an improvement on when going from 60Hz to 144+ Hz may be with text while it's scrolling on your screen. It may be a whole lot clearer with your new monitor! This increased clarity will be present in games too, so long as you can render them at a high enough frame rate. And therein lies the rub: higher resolution equals more pixels, equals more clarity, but it also equals lower frame rates, which equals lower clarity (when things are in motion).

SO, with all of that technical stuff out of the way: it doesn't really matter tbh. 1440p is likely to bring more clarity than a 30% drop in frame rate would take away (though it depends on how low your starting point was). Moreover, you'd probably rather reduce quality settings than accept a lower frame rate, so the tradeoff then becomes not frame rate vs resolution, but image quality settings vs resolution. That's when it comes to games. When it comes to everything outside of games, a 27" 1440p screen would be a pretty amazing upgrade with basically no downsides. And when it comes to games, the more I look at reviews of the RTX 3060 like this one, the more I think that you'd probably be fine at 1440p. But if you want to be feel secure in your ability to max out almost every game while running them at a smooth frame rate for some time to come, then a 1080p monitor would be a safer bet.

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling or unhelpful. I've rewritten it multiple times now. I just really nerd out when talking about this stuff, so I hope it's understandable.

nitsuga posted:

Alright, so I bought a PA247CV, but I'm still a little curious about a PA279CV (the 1440p version is out of stock everywhere at the moment). Would a 3060 Ti handle 4K@60hz alright? I imagine with DLSS and whatnot it'd be less of a big deal. I'm nowhere near a competitive gamer either. And maybe more importantly, I spend a lot of time looking at code and text-heavy things and really want it to just be as smooth as possible. I'll take a look at an M27Q when I'm there too, but the charging situation is still a bummer with that one.

I think you would be okay, but you'd be leaning on upscaling algorithms quite a bit. The 3060 Ti is most comfortable at 1440p. The 3060 review I linked above also includes the 3060 Ti in its benchmarks (this one), if you want a preview of what you can expect (note that this is with all the settings maxed in every game).

For the thing you're most concerned with though, I think 4K would be a good fit.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 8, 2021

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

I’m looking to get a 32 inch monitor that will act as a TV, since all available 32 inch TVs are quite bad.
Would something like the BenQ EW3270U be a good choice?
Basically, I care more about my budget than the refresh rate. Will the viewing angles of a VA panel be a big problem?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Personally I wouldn't dream of paying $500 for a 4k 60hz monitor when 27" 4k 60hz monitors can be had for low $200s and the first good 4k 32" 144hz monitor is $800. It's a particularly terrible value proposition. There are plenty of better priced 32" 4k 60hz options if you are sure you want that specific size.

VA is going to give you better contrast, but only if you're sitting in the exact right place. For a TV, that's generally not going to be true. You go from sitting up on a couch to lying on the couch or floor and you're almost always going to have annoyingly bad color shift.

I don't follow the TV market at all outside of OLEDs, but I don't know why 32" monitors would be any better than 32" TVs. An LCD is an LCD, and while TVs are typically rather low end products, at a standard panel size there shouldn't be much difference between products - certainly not enough to make you spend that kind of money on a TV.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 8, 2021

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. The prize is different here in Europe though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The euro monitor markets are an absolute fuckfest but sometimes there are very good deals. I'd be patient and keep asking for advice from euro goons or euro enthusiasts elsewhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What are the good 32 inch 4K monitors? I’ve been contemplating an upgrade myself and 32 inch 4K IPS panel is what I’m aiming for.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Pretty sure I’m overthinking this work monitor thing and should just get a pair of Dell P2721DGFs since they’re under $350 right now, but I keep going back to the PA278<C/Q>V since so many sites seem to hold them up as ideal work monitors. Really don’t want to drive two hours to a Microcenter which seems to be the only place that has them in stock for non-scalper prices. Considered the M27Q, but the blurry text issue would be a total dealbreaker since I’m looking at text all day.

Assuming I give up on the MST thing now that I got my hands on a dock with multiple DP ports any other specific suggestions for 1440 monitors around 27” that would see 90% office/coding usage, 10% videos, and zero modern video game content?

e: Yeah. Ordered the Dells. They should be fine.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 8, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling or unhelpful. I've rewritten it multiple times now. I just really nerd out when talking about this stuff, so I hope it's understandable.

It’s definitely understandable! And I appreciate all the help. I’m just not sure I’m ready to spend 400+ dollars on two 27” monitors right after making a big purchase of the pc. And I know I won’t like mismatched monitors. So I may wind up sticking with the ones I have for the time being.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

What are the good 32 inch 4K monitors? I’ve been contemplating an upgrade myself and 32 inch 4K IPS panel is what I’m aiming for.

This is an underdeveloped product category and there are currently only a handful of good ones. The best two are the Gigabyte M32U and the MSI MPG321UR-QD. Both are 144Hz. The M32U has the advantage in response times (especially at 60Hz), while the MSI one has the advantage in gamut coverage and peak HDR brightness (being a quantum-dot display, though its HDR is still lackluster due to a lack of local dimming). Still, since this is an underdeveloped product category, the prices are very high, currently $800 to $900 for these monitors.

60Hz monitors are less painful on the wallet. All of the $300-ish ones are VA panels though, like the LG 32UN500. I assume that these are repurposed TV panels, or are produced using the same production lines that already exist for TV panels, which makes them cheaper to produce. 32" 4K IPS monitors are much more uncommon, and they seem to start at around $450 for 60Hz (LG 32UN650 is that much at Amazon). Yeah, there's a huge price gap between 60Hz and 144+ Hz 4K displays right now and it's kinda dumb. I expect that to improve over the next few years.

The Gigabyte M28U, a 28" 144Hz 4K monitor, can sometimes be found in stock for $650 at Best Buy if you want a cheaper high-refresh 4K alternative, though you're trading away some of that sweet screen real estate for a pointlessly dense display (in my opinion). And there are 27" 60Hz 4K IPS displays that are around $300 (Dell S2721QS). The market is dumb right now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 8, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have two 27in 1440p panels one is a TN 144hz acer panel and the other is a 75hz dell ips panel.

I’ve switched between the two Bc I plan on getting rid of one of them and honestly I’ve been leaning towards the IPS 75hz panel for the past two weeks. Honestly I think it’s worth it to just spend a little more for a 144hz panel but the difference in refresh rate (even playing games like CSGO where it matters) is no where near as noticeable as the difference in colors/contrast for me. The IPS panel simply looks better and even though the Dell has a high response time (8ms) it only matters if the refresh rate is high and the response time is slow (from what I’ve read I noticed no difference).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This is an underdeveloped product category and there are currently only a handful of good ones. The best two are the Gigabyte M32U and the MSI MPG321UR-QD. Both are 144Hz. The M32U has the advantage in response times (especially at 60Hz), while the MSI one has the advantage in gamut coverage and peak HDR brightness (being a quantum-dot display, though its HDR is still lackluster due to a lack of local dimming). Still, since this is an underdeveloped product category, the prices are very high, currently $800 to $900 for these monitors.

60Hz monitors are less painful on the wallet. All of the $300-ish ones are VA panels though, like the LG 32UN500. I assume that these are repurposed TV panels, or are produced using the same production lines that already exist for TV panels, which makes them cheaper to produce. 32" 4K IPS monitors are much more uncommon, and they seem to start at around $450 for 60Hz (LG 32UN650 is that much at Amazon). Yeah, there's a huge price gap between 60Hz and 144+ Hz 4K displays right now and it's kinda dumb. I expect that to improve over the next few years.

The Gigabyte M28U, a 28" 144Hz 4K monitor, can sometimes be found in stock for $650 at Best Buy if you want a cheaper high-refresh 4K alternative, though you're trading away some of that sweet screen real estate for a pointlessly dense display (in my opinion). And there are 27" 60Hz 4K IPS displays that are around $300 (Dell S2721QS). The market is dumb right now.

I probably should have mentioned this stuff in my first post but:

First up I'm in Aus so I'm gonna be paying a lot anyhow. I do play games, but I don't do the whole multiplayer fps thing or even fps games in general really - mostly I play stuff like wow, cities skylines, civ vi, various indie games. All of which is to say my current monitor is a 27" 75hz 1440p display and I can't tell the difference between that and the 60hz 1440p 27" display I had before - I'm sceptical as to whether I really care about faster refresh rates. I've always considered 30fps the lower border of playable and I'm a graphics quality > framerates kind of guy as long as it stays playable. Aside from that I do a lot of media consumption (netflix and the like) and web browsing.

I've never had a VA panel but people in here tend to poo poo on em and I'm worried about blurring and viewing angles so I prefer to stay with IPS. I don't mind paying a premium (up to a point) but I don't do professional graphic work so I don't need pro oriented features.

I've decided I definitely want the extra size of a 32" screen, especially if I'm making the jump to 4k. on my current screen I keep chrome at 150% zoom already and I keep the screen more than an arms length away.

Other points:

I'm strongly considering replacing my PC with a Mac at some point so USB-C or thunderbolt input on the monitor would be highly desirable.

I'm not about to buy a subpar monitor on the basis of aesthetics but I do hate the whole 'gamer' look and so If I could own something that looks like it belongs in an adult space and not like it was plucked from a 15 year old's wet dream without making too many compromises that would be nice.

I do not under any circumstances want anything ultrawide or curved.

So if there are any other options you guys might care to suggest with this additional info I'd be glad to check them out as well as the ones listed above.

oh and also Phillips is a brand I see a lot here and it's always very reasonably priced, is

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/329P1H_75/brilliance-lcd-monitor-with-usb-c-dock

a monitor anyone here has any experience with it's 949 AUD which seems like a good deal?

the LG 32UN650 is a bit cheaper but it appears to be an end of life product and nobody has stock - pity cause I like the styling of it.

edit: the M32U is $1160; and the MSI MPG321UR-QD is $1600

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 8, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The M32U has USB C as well, but only with 15W of power delivery compared to the Philips 329P1H's 90W. For your purposes, 60Hz would be fine, then. Here's a rather technical review of the 329P1H: https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_329p1h

edit: This monitor is like $700 - $800 in the US. :/

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 8, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The M32U has USB C as well, but only with 15W of power delivery compared to the Philips 329P1H's 90W. For your purposes, 60Hz would be fine, then. Here's a rather technical review of the 329P1H: https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_329p1h

edit: This monitor is like $700 - $800 in the US. :/

oh wow that's expensive considering the exchange rate - the phillips would be a good buy in the US if it was appropriately priced. Thanks for the advice.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 8, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What is the current go-to 144hz 1440p 27" monitor? I have a 3080 card and am in the USA.

Budget: 400 but I'd rather pay a bit less.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 9, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redreader posted:

What is the current go-to 144hz 1440p 27" monitor? I have a 3080 card and am in the USA.

Budget: 400 but I'd rather pay a bit less.

There isn't a single go-to monitor. monitor tech is super frustrating because it's almost 2022 and everything is still a compromise. Even monitors with ludicrous 4-digit price tags will excel at one thing and be total dogshit at something else.

The Gigabyte M27Q is a great all-rounder with a very wide color gamut for the cost and pretty good response times. However, its BGR subpixels can make text slightly blurry in some applications like Chrome, though I think it's just chrome's interface text and google apps that are affected. Everything that uses cleartype is safe. This is the only monitor listed with this issue. It's usually around $300.

The LG 27GP83B is a solid monitor with top-tier response times, but its gamut isn't as wide as the M27U's, it has slightly worse contrast, and its factory calibration isn't as good. The price tends to move around a lot between $350 and $450. At $450 it's not worth it (the MSI MAG274QRF-QD is better at that price), but at $400 or less, it's an option worth considering.

Acer Nitro XV272U KVbmiiprzx (make sure you get this keyboard smash exactly right) is very similar to the 27GP83B in most respects (including very fast response times), but with slightly better contrast usually and a better factory calibration. This is a monitor that's just pretty dang good with no obvious downsides beyond those inherent to all IPS displays (mediocre contrast and backlight bleed, though it seems better about these than LG displays tend to be). It's around $400 usually, but it's out of stock everywhere it seems.

Dell S2721DGF is $330 on Dell's website. It's an LG panel so the contrast is slightly below average for IPS, but it's pretty great in most other respects, especially for the price. The HP27q is $300 and I think it's just a carbon copy of this monitor. The Lenovo G27Q-20 might be too though I'm really not sure (the specs line up), also $300. LG likes selling this panel to OEMs like Dell and HP.

Anyway, when it comes to the $300 to $400 price range, those are the stand-out monitors. They're all reasonable purchases, in my opinion. My top pick would be the M27Q unless you would be affected by the BGR subpixels, in which case I'd pick the XV272U KV, except it's out of stock everywhere, so then I'd go with the Dell or HP monitors because they have good-quality LG panels at a nice, affordable price. The 27GP83B is better than those, but not enough to justify the price (it was $350 at best buy last week but it's back up to $450, bleh). The colors come oversaturated out of the box with no srgb emulation mode. Some people like that oversaturation, but this can be corrected in software with this handy tool.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 9, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you for the really comprehensive answer.

I had a 27GL83A-B before (sorry, on my phone and not sure how to change the font size) and I liked it. My son smacked it by mistake and the screen broke. Now I've got an office and it's behind a baby gate in a much safer location so that isn't a danger any more. You mentioned a different lg though, The one I just posted is 330 and the one you posted is 450 on Amazon. Is that just because the one I got last year is older and outdated now? What's the difference for the extra $120?

Edit: rtings seems to think the cheaper/older one is better?

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 9, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redreader posted:

Thank you for the really comprehensive answer.

I had a 27GL83A-B before (sorry, on my phone and not sure how to change the font size) and I liked it. My son smacked it by mistake and the screen broke. Now I've got an office and it's behind a baby gate in a much safer location so that isn't a danger any more. You mentioned a different lg though, The one I just posted is 330 and the one you posted is 450 on Amazon. Is that just because the one I got last year is older and outdated now? What's the difference for the extra $120?

Edit: rtings seems to think the cheaper/older one is better?

The more expensive one gets better ratings across the board from what I'm seeing: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-27gl83a-b-vs-lg-27gp83b-b/1627/24342?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

The GL is just a bit older and slower. The GP has come down to $350 recently but it's back up to $450. I'd just go with the Dell S2721DGF. It's an LG monitor in all but name that performs nearly identically to the 27GP83B for $330 currently (it uses the same panel, I believe)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks! That seems like it for me then. Is that a one time deal for a short time, or Dell's normal price?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seems to be a sale price, looking at PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/K2cRsY/dell-s2721dgf-270-2560x1440-165-hz-monitor-s2721dgf

Dunno how long that price will hold for.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've been looking at the super ultrawides, the 5120x1440p versions. They're almost entirely VA panels, I've always been taught to be snobby about IPS supremacy, how bad are the VA panels these days compared to IPS? I've heard (I think) about ghosting or something with VA.

Looking at models like the Samsung g9 and the use case would be basically all the big games plus normal office stuff.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I've been using a 100hz uktrawidey VA panel for a year or two now after coming from a 144hz IPS and its been surprisingly good. To the point where I'd miss the contrast if I went back. Ymmv though as I don't notice black smearing or ghosting in most panels I've used over the years.

Wasn't a fan of super ultrawide though, 35-38 seems like the sweet spot to me

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pixels in VA panels have a hard time transitioning away from dark colors into other dark colors. The end result isn't so much "ghosting" as it is "smearing," particularly in dark scenes. Here's a capture of an image moving quickly to the right on a particularly awful VA panel, one that is shipping in some new 24" 1080p monitors:

For reference, here's the image used:

So with that out of the way, there are a handful of VA panels where this doesn't happen, and most of them are Samsung panels, though not all Samsung VA panels are good. The G7 and G9 VA panels are quite good, though. Here's the G7:

That's about on par with an IPS display (the lightning fast 32GP850 at 180hz, for comparison). It's actually really impressive what they've done to improve VA's shortcomings, and it's a bummer that this technology has appeared in so few products.

The G9 should be almost the same in this regard, but it comes with other potential downsides. I believe the firmware is mostly in a pretty good place right now, but the G9 line of products have had a very rocky launch with issues like flickering and stuttering, and a host of HDR issues in the Neo G9, but I think these have all been resolved. If you're buying one, definitely get it from somewhere that has painless returns just in case.

Here's a review of the G9, and the Neo G9, then an update covering the firmware issues the Neo G9 in particular had.

The panel on the Samsung CRG9 isn't nearly as good as the panel on the G9 or a good IPS, but it's not offensive. It's the kind of tradeoff that may be worth making if you value contrast over motion clarity. edit: I don't know, the more I look at the response times for the CRG9 and the resulting motion blur, the worse it looks. It seems to be on the bad end of VA ultrawides. Stick with the G9 if you can, imo.

Motion blur images taken from TFT Central. The motion blur test is from here: https://testufo.com/ghosting

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 9, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wow thanks to both goons for replying and ty doc for the links. I feel a lot better now about VA in the g9, guess I should go see one in person and see if iI like the size.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah samsung G series seem to be really good, but the price is still a bit spicy even now with pretty decent discounts imo. probably a function of an expensive panel, which would also explain why samsung is hoarding them for their own lineup

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Truga posted:

yeah samsung G series seem to be really good, but the price is still a bit spicy even now with pretty decent discounts imo. probably a function of an expensive panel, which would also explain why samsung is hoarding them for their own lineup

The G5 and G3 should be avoided in my opinion, but the G7 and G9 monitors are good, provided you don't get a dud (Samsung QA is a bit dodgy).

Loucks
May 21, 2007

redreader posted:

Thanks! That seems like it for me then. Is that a one time deal for a short time, or Dell's normal price?

If you do order the Dell be sure to log in and pay attention to the order status if you don’t get a confirmation email. They silently canceled my order yesterday, saying it was some sort of credit card issue. The second attempt over the phone went through fine with only ~10s waiting for a rep.

At least they’re doing FedEx two-day delivery for free if you sign up for their rewards thing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Loucks posted:

If you do order the Dell be sure to log in and pay attention to the order status if you don’t get a confirmation email. They silently canceled my order yesterday, saying it was some sort of credit card issue. The second attempt over the phone went through fine with only ~10s waiting for a rep.

At least they’re doing FedEx two-day delivery for free if you sign up for their rewards thing.

Thanks! I didn't see the rewards thing in time so I'm getting it next week. But I ordered it late last night and the order is still 'happening' according to their site, although not shipped yet.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

My guess is that they send the shipping data to FedEx at COB and then FedEx does an enormous bulk pickup, so you' should see movement this afternoon. Probably.

Of course right after I order the Dells the PA278QV comes back in stock at BHPhoto. gently caress it. Maybe I'll buy a graphics card and game on these stupid things.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So I finally got a 3060 ti into my 5600x rig. I don't really play any FPS's these days and my playtime has been like 95% of FFXIV. I don't remember the last time I've played a triple A marque release with actual demanding specs (Honestly Yakuza Kiwami 2/Yakuza 7 are closest to an actual demanding title). I might get back into fighting games however so response time is still quite important, but not too fussed if the panel is only 120 hz or whatever, though I take it panels are minimum 144 hz if not 60 hz for productivity.

I can play my more narrative titles on my TV and controller for comfort. Also in case I need integer scaling to 1080p on a 4k panel for performance's sake.

...That being said I've been considering 1440p ultrawides for the immersion/productivity, but with a budget of around 350-400€ max that's probably a bit of an ask, and with a 3060 ti I imagine I might hit some performance issues fairly rapidly. I also imagine playing in normal 1440p for performance's sake on an ultrawide is rear end... which just might be a thing with fighting games in general since they have gameplay/balancing reasons not to support ultrawide. I think I've seen a couple 1440p ultrawides on sale around the 350€ mark though. If I decide to go with just a 27" 1440p I'll probably downgrade my budget a bit and look for deals. I'm only really planning to buy in 2022.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg245h This thing being my current main monitor I imagine pretty much any decent 1440p gaming monitor is an upgrade. Yes I'm aware that panel types have their downsides. I imagine picture quality on cheaper ultrawides is also a factor compared to a slightly more inexpensive 1440p monitors?

I'm currently running a mix of three monitors if that's a factor and probably retiring the ancient 1680x1050 one and use my main one as a top monitor since it has no pivot. Might need to look into monitor arms, though.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Anyone here using an OLED tv as a monitor for a while now? Just saw a video that Linus is already had some slight burn in with his OLED. How common is that happening?

Also any other negatives with mini-LEDs aside from blooming? Are VA monitors with mini LED the only good HDR monitor for the contrast?

I’m kinda leaning on them instead of waiting for a small OLED. Just want my next monitor to be a good HDR ready one since monitors seem to be stuck in time technology wise. It seems there are a bunch of mini LEDs coming up. Just wish they are 27in 1440p coming soon cause I still value FPS. A Samsung neo G7 with mini LEDs would be ideal (with no Samsung defects lols) The neo G9 is too gigantic and expensive.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Dessel posted:

So I finally got a 3060 ti into my 5600x rig. I don't really play any FPS's these days and my playtime has been like 95% of FFXIV. I don't remember the last time I've played a triple A marque release with actual demanding specs (Honestly Yakuza Kiwami 2/Yakuza 7 are closest to an actual demanding title). I might get back into fighting games however so response time is still quite important, but not too fussed if the panel is only 120 hz or whatever, though I take it panels are minimum 144 hz if not 60 hz for productivity.

I can play my more narrative titles on my TV and controller for comfort. Also in case I need integer scaling to 1080p on a 4k panel for performance's sake.

...That being said I've been considering 1440p ultrawides for the immersion/productivity, but with a budget of around 350-400€ max that's probably a bit of an ask, and with a 3060 ti I imagine I might hit some performance issues fairly rapidly. I also imagine playing in normal 1440p for performance's sake on an ultrawide is rear end... which just might be a thing with fighting games in general since they have gameplay/balancing reasons not to support ultrawide. I think I've seen a couple 1440p ultrawides on sale around the 350€ mark though. If I decide to go with just a 27" 1440p I'll probably downgrade my budget a bit and look for deals. I'm only really planning to buy in 2022.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg245h This thing being my current main monitor I imagine pretty much any decent 1440p gaming monitor is an upgrade. Yes I'm aware that panel types have their downsides. I imagine picture quality on cheaper ultrawides is also a factor compared to a slightly more inexpensive 1440p monitors?

I'm currently running a mix of three monitors if that's a factor and probably retiring the ancient 1680x1050 one and use my main one as a top monitor since it has no pivot. Might need to look into monitor arms, though.

Ultrawide makes zero sense for your stated use application, since half the games you want to play are going to be a generally worse experience than 16:9. It's extremely, extremely niche IMO and the best use is watching cinema AR movies for people who burn money for fun.

You should absolutely get a good 144hz+ monitor for any type of gaming. The gap between good, proper gaming monitors and random crap is huge. If you're going to play some competitive games that lock at 60hz, that's definitely a worthwhile consideration as there are some models with piss-poor 60hz performance. Somehow even in the current low supply high inflation environment prices are coming down, so now continues to be a good time to buy and I'm sick of predicting it's about to get worse. What makes sense to buy is going to depend on exactly when you want to buy and how your budget compares to the various options at the time. The future is impossible to predict right now since everything is a mess.

Mang Tomas posted:

Anyone here using an OLED tv as a monitor for a while now? Just saw a video that Linus is already had some slight burn in with his OLED. How common is that happening?

Also any other negatives with mini-LEDs aside from blooming? Are VA monitors with mini LED the only good HDR monitor for the contrast?

I’m kinda leaning on them instead of waiting for a small OLED. Just want my next monitor to be a good HDR ready one since monitors seem to be stuck in time technology wise. It seems there are a bunch of mini LEDs coming up. Just wish they are 27in 1440p coming soon cause I still value FPS. A Samsung neo G7 with mini LEDs would be ideal (with no Samsung defects lols) The neo G9 is too gigantic and expensive.

There are a few goons using OLEDs as monitors. OLEDs are always going to burn out. How badly burnout will bother you will depend on your use pattern and brightness level. If you want to drop $1500 for a wall-mounted monitor that will be used in a dark room with the understanding that 3-4 years might be all you get out of it, it's definitely an option and in most regards the performance is great. Don't buy an OLED if you expect it to last 10 years or you want to use it in a very bright room and last more than maybe 2-3 years before artifacting becomes bothersome.

Generally speaking, HDR is not a thing and won't be for a long time. Virtually all monitors are already way brighter than there is any use for. Increasing contrast in a way that's desirable will require deeper blacks, not brighter whites. In practice, aside from the Odyssey G7, G9, and G9 Neo and the various issues and potential issues they have, it's not going to get better for a long time. IPS contrast isn't going up much in high performance panels, it's not worth sacrificing performance for contrast since frame rate is the most neglected part of image quality for decades, and aside from Samsung no one is making VA panels you should consider (especially since they're going to blur to poo poo in darker areas anyway and eliminate any potential advantage of contrast). In general, forget about HDR, it's probably 5+ years from being mainstream still.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

People criticized Linus from LTT a lot for using the C1 wrong, and it's true that he did a lot of dumb stuff, but people overlook Wendell's from Level 1 Techs appearance in that video. He used his OLED much more responsibly, and the end result is that he's still getting some light burn-in in some regions of the screen and the peak brightness has faded over time due to how much he has had to use the pixel refresher. You CAN use an OLED as a PC monitor, and I've seen some people swear by theirs. But you sorta need to accept that if you're a heavy user, then even in the best-case scenario where you're completely tailoring your PC-using experience to the monitor, you're probably replacing it every two or three years, and that's a lot of moolah.

I don't know how it works, and I haven't seen any reviews that discuss this in detail, but apparently LG's actual OLED monitors, the 27/32EP950 (with panels made by JOLED, not LG, btw) have extra wide buffer regions for screen shift, so the screen moves slowly around the display far more than the CX/C1's screen shift feature. LG claims this makes their OLED monitors viable for long-term professional use (which is the market those monitors are aimed for—they cost thousands of dollars), but I have my doubts. I think Asus also announced a monitor with a JOLED panel recently that I expect to work the same way. Eventually these kinds of monitors will filter down from the super expensive professional market to the enthusiast market, but it'll take a while.

QD-OLED may be what makes OLED viable for monitors since it's purported to be much more burn-in resistant, but that will also take a few years. What will ultimately make OLED work is likely a combination of burn-in resistance technologies that are probably 5 or so years away from becoming mainstream, yeah. In the meantime, Mini LED backlights are looking to become the hot new thing that every monitor manufacturer is latching onto for their flagship products. Those often don't look great on IPS displays (see: recent apple products with FALD backlights), but who knows, maybe someone will knock it out of the park with a mini LED backlight on a good quality VA panel, like Samsung did with the Neo G9 but in a 16:9 form factor, and without all the quality control issues. The technology is there. Someone just has to do it.