Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm a big fan of the "my parents let me drink pop as a kid which means they didn't love or care about me" in the replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Pleads posted:

I'm a big fan of the "my parents let me drink pop as a kid which means they didn't love or care about me" in the replies.

I didn't get to drink soda much as a kid so I totally over compensated during college but I need therapy for totally unrelated reasons.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Genuine lol

ewiley posted:

I didn't get to drink soda much as a kid so I totally over compensated during college but I need therapy for totally unrelated reasons.

I let my kids have soda with dinner as a treat sometimes :smith:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I grew up with a well that had hard water so soda with dinner was pretty normal. Thinking that having soda with dinner is a sign of trauma is way off base, it’s just a sign of not being rich.

Mr Tall
May 6, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

there's like three elements of this that confuse me and I don't know where to start.

I'm pro Brexit, but only because it means less people have to deal with England.

Goddammit, I am so sick of reading crap like this. Why must you perpetuate this poo poo all over the internet?

Fewer people have to deal with England.

OK, back in my box now. :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pleads posted:

yea I'm real sick of people trying to pretend poo poo like 'my mom didn't really care if her otherwise perfectly fine kid drank soda every day' with like...neglect...People really are out there trying to pretend child abuse is some kind of clout thing to go after. Like, I get that it's some weird 'every problem in my life can be traced to this and nothing else to examine' thing but boy does it loving minimize actual neglect/abuse poo poo!

Mr Tall posted:

Goddammit, I am so sick of reading crap like this. Why must you perpetuate this poo poo all over the internet?

Fewer people have to deal with England.

OK, back in my box now. :)

You, though, are the real abuser in this thread and gave me trauma :colbert:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mak0rz posted:

What she supposedly means is that realizing no one else drinks pop with every dinner clued her in that her upbringing was different than others, and further investigation revealed actual trauma she didn't realize was there before. She's not necessarily saying that the soda thing was toxic or traumatic, even though the wording of her tweet seems to heavily imply that.

lmao is it not easy to instantly guess that the tweet wasn't about "My parents permitted me to have soda every night"?
My parents weren't abusive but also when I was eleven there were a whole lot of days where I'd drink 36-48 oz of cola and that'd be like 2/3rds of my calories for the day, the rest being some cheap take-out/drive-thru food my dad would pick up on the way home from a 12 hour work shift. My sisters had a friend who was extremely obese at like 16 years old and her home had no food in it besides soda, chips, and microwave meals.

I don't think a kid drinking soda frequently is a sign of abuse but it's probably a little bit of a yellow flag that becomes a much much bigger yellow flag if it's "this kid drinks more than a can of soda a day on average."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No that’s a rather insane leap to make.

Frankly I think it’s much more likely kids who didn’t have soda at dinner would be considered the out of place one. Unless you lived in very specific communities

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/gayfarmer69/status/1456834345189232644

https://twitter.com/ryancdotorg/status/1456455176437391362

https://twitter.com/Lvcy_Fyre/status/1456383650786914304

https://twitter.com/RealSardonicus/status/1457011196607991809

https://twitter.com/3Ddubstep/status/1456329496626450435

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CharlestheHammer posted:

Frankly I think it’s much more likely kids who didn’t have soda at dinner would be considered the out of place one. Unless you lived in very specific communities
A cup of high fructose corn syrup with every meal is weird. It may be normalised but it's still weird.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Now do weapon of choice

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Splicer posted:

A cup of high fructose corn syrup with every meal is weird. It may be normalised but it's still weird.

I mean I think that’s a different argument. It’s like saying it’s a flag if people have Cereal for breakfast. Is most Cereal very healthy? No but it’s not exactly a pre cursor to abuse.

Words have got to mean something. You can argue something is bad without needing to take an unrelated thing and craming it in

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Splicer posted:

what if the child consumes diet soda, poster

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/figgled/status/1456891166863941632

:australia:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I want to believe that poster went to a very fancy school and was mocked for ordering a Pepsi instead of Dom Pérignon in the dining hall.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Splicer posted:

Apple juice has as much sugar as coke. Sugar consumption in general is super normalized. I don't think having a glass of juice or soda at a meal is a sign of much in current America.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Trapick posted:

Apple juice has as much sugar as coke. Sugar consumption in general is super normalized. I don't think having a glass of juice or soda at a meal is a sign of much in current America.

It feels like people have some weird focus on soda specifically being unhealthy despite, like you said, it's similar to any other sugary drink or juice. I think it stems from the amount advertising and pop science articles bottled water companies have spent a couple decades making that single soda out as the worst thing to drink.

Obviously water is best for folks to drink, but diet soda at least isn't as likely to lead to diabetes as drinking a lot of juice or anything else pumped full of sugar.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I remember hearing someone talk about her granola parents sending her to grade school sick with a cold, with a reeking maskful of essential oils to treat it, and she stank so much of eucalyptus that she got in trouble and then she had to be the weird kid for ages.

So we should also spare a thought for kids whose parents are nuts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I will not abide unsound pastry.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/GoodReddit/status/1456649766667005959

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/ChumsKnifeblade/status/1457126244709978113

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Count Uvula posted:

I don't think a kid drinking soda frequently is a sign of abuse but it's probably a little bit of a yellow flag that becomes a much much bigger yellow flag if it's "this kid drinks more than a can of soda a day on average."

"I'm judging what you by what you eat and drink" the game is a garbage game.

(it's also a very reliable and classic proxy-tool for making race-based decisions that hurt people but hiding it behind a seemingly neutral sounding reason.)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trapick posted:

do you just not drink water or

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i actually know people who can't stand the taste of water and i've taught them to get one of those tea strainers / tea bags / mesh bags and just add some slices of lemon, cucumber, strawberry or orange to make their water taste less, uh, watery. also it forces them to drink the water faster because those things make the water "rot" faster so i guess it's a win-win?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't think water makes for a very good palette cleanser with a meal. You need something sweet and I don't want to drink wine/beer with dinner every night.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i actually know people who can't stand the taste of water

I can only assume they grew up with really lovely water quality and have internalised "plain water=bad", because this makes no sense to me otherwise.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pop for dinner would have been much nicer than the sulfery untreated lead pipe water I sometimes had to drink as a kid.

Eventually they got a brita filter which removed the rusty flakes but the metallic rotten egg flavour stayed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/audvisuals/status/1457007862723579907?s=21

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Beartaco posted:

I don't think water makes for a very good palette cleanser with a meal. You need something sweet and I don't want to drink wine/beer with dinner every night.

You need something sweet after every meal to cleanse your palate?
I've literally never heard of this idea and I'm an American.

Maybe my family was super weird by treating desert as a "sometimes" thing instead of having a daily apple pie ration

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Memento posted:

I can only assume they grew up with really lovely water quality and have internalised "plain water=bad", because this makes no sense to me otherwise.

Terrible water abounds, but especially in lower-income communities :thunkher: but poor people are poo poo because they prefer soda, you see.

I just don’t understand people who feel the need to just-the-tip of their personal icebergs on viral Twitter threads. Go big, or stay home.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe my family was super weird by treating desert as a "sometimes" thing instead of having a daily apple pie ration

This is an interesting topic for seeing goons realize maybe they aren’t actually “normal” while still trying to own people over it.

Because yes this is a pretty common thing

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Makes sense for a country where 60% of the adult population is overweight i guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean next time just like leave your suburb so you don’t embarrass yourself

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's ok to just have water with your meal. If you need to cleanse your palette after eating maybe you should eat better food.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

do you just not drink water or
Yeah I have water with meals, it's just the tweet that was like "I had soda with dinner, which I finally realized was a huge red flag and sign of my terrible childhood" is absolutely bonkers.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

As a kid, I never realized how lucky I was to have such good tapwater at home until I was in another town about 40 miles away, where the tapwater smelled like chlorine :barf:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Smelling like chlorine still puts you in the good tap water tier

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Growing up we only drank bleach with our meals and it wasn't child abuse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A palette cleanser is something you take between courses so you don't end up mixing flavours, like trying to eat ice-cream while you're still tasting gravy. If you're just finishing your meal though then yeah wanting to wash the taste of dinner out of your mouth ASAP is a pretty big indictment of your cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

It feels like people have some weird focus on soda specifically being unhealthy despite, like you said, it's similar to any other sugary drink or juice. I think it stems from the amount advertising and pop science articles bottled water companies have spent a couple decades making that single soda out as the worst thing to drink.

Obviously water is best for folks to drink, but diet soda at least isn't as likely to lead to diabetes as drinking a lot of juice or anything else pumped full of sugar.

When I worked at a pizza place with a soda fountain it was always funny to me they would insist their kids get minute maid lemonade instead of soda. If they were avoiding caffeine I could see it, but we had sprite and I think our root beer was un-caffeinated.