Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Also for how he handled it. He does have a huge gently caress off energy cannon on his arm, There is probably an upper limit to what the X-parasite can withstand

And Quiet Robe even stated "He's smarter and more violent than the rest of his kin.

However think about this. If all he wanted was Metroid DNA, he... lasered Samus in the face and had her half-dead in front of him, and he left her, he's plotting some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Dumb idea, he thinks he can control samus somehow and all the upgrades samus has been getting so far have been "poisoned" or something to help with that, because samus is part metroid and thus might be controllable, or already tried to control samus and failed and thus why she has "amnesia", and is just feeding her to get her back to where she was before while biding time to try and get a better control attempt off.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

AtomikKrab posted:

Also for how he handled it. He does have a huge gently caress off energy cannon on his arm, There is probably an upper limit to what the X-parasite can withstand

And Quiet Robe even stated "He's smarter and more violent than the rest of his kin.

However think about this. If all he wanted was Metroid DNA, he... lasered Samus in the face and had her half-dead in front of him, and he left her, he's plotting some bullshit.

My impression is that the physical amnesia was also part of his plan - force Samus to go through all her usual adventurous nonsense in order to uhh...'activate' or 'prime' (:v:) her metroid DNA so that he can use it for Reasons

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SugarAddict posted:

Dumb idea, he thinks he can control samus somehow and all the upgrades samus has been getting so far have been "poisoned" or something to help with that, because samus is part metroid and thus might be controllable, or already tried to control samus and failed and thus why she has "amnesia", and is just feeding her to get her back to where she was before while biding time to try and get a better control attempt off.

gently caress, this makes sense. Being able to control Samus, destroyer of worlds* would be a massive coup.

*I remember Zebes and SR388, what's the planet tally from Prime 1 to 3 and Other M?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omobono posted:

gently caress, this makes sense. Being able to control Samus, destroyer of worlds* would be a massive coup.

*I remember Zebes and SR388, what's the planet tally from Prime 1 to 3 and Other M?

There's Dark Aether in Prime 2. (I personally think that counts as half a planet.) Then there's Phaaze in Prime 3. And the Bottle Ship was blown up in Other M, though that isn't a planet and also wasn't her fault.

So 3 1/2 planets to date.

Taking bets: who thinks ZDR goes boom at the end of Dread?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Sucker's bet

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bruceski posted:

Combining this with the Chozo Memories from Samus Returns I think the timeline is:

Okay yeah this timeline makes sense. Wiping out the Thoha after they've sealed the Metroids under the stasis gel would definitely be the best way to do it and not get Metroids to the face.

SIGSEGV posted:

Presumably, he used suitable levels of violence and entirely non-biological weapons like the robot killer we just saw who just killed Quiet Robe.

Yeah, Tea has pointed out the robots being built in the background of the EMMI zones, he probably used those to fight the X.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay yeah this timeline makes sense. Wiping out the Thoha after they've sealed the Metroids under the stasis gel would definitely be the best way to do it and not get Metroids to the face.

The impression I got was that he didn't decide to massacre the Thoha until they announced that they were going to kill all the metroids (presumably by blowing up the planet), so that would be after they were contained.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Lone Badger posted:

The impression I got was that he didn't decide to massacre the Thoha until they announced that they were going to kill all the metroids (presumably by blowing up the planet), so that would be after they were contained.

This is literally what Quiet Robe said. After they lost control of the Metroids the Thoha asked the Mawkin to help them, and they sealed the Metroids away. The Thoha then told Raven Beak and the Mawkin about the plan now to destroy the planet which would end the threats of the Metroids and X. Raven Beak killed the Thoha instead of going along with that, sparing Quiet Robe cause he needed one Thoha for his Metroid Bioweapon plans. Then he and the Mawkin went back to ZDR with Quiet Robe to prepare for capturing the Metroids, but one of the Mawkin was an X who infected the rest of the Warriors and put Raven Beak’s plan on hold until he dealt with that somehow. (Probably the robot Warriors as mentioned)

Then around this time some Federation guys stumbled on the planet, found a Metroid Larva on SR388 discovered the cool energy draining features and that it duplicated when exposed to certain radiations, only for their ship to get raided by the Space Pirates who stole the Metroid figured out it was Chozo Bio Science and went to Zebes to force the Chozo there to help turn it into a weapon. There the Zebes Bio Computer Mother Brain back stabbed the Chozo and joined up with the pirates having the ability to control the Metroids and all the Chozo knowledge. So the pirates killed the Chozo not needing them. Which led to Metroid 1/Zero Mission.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is literally what Quiet Robe said. After they lost control of the Metroids the Thoha asked the Mawkin to help them, and they sealed the Metroids away. The Thoha then told Raven Beak and the Mawkin about the plan now to destroy the planet which would end the threats of the Metroids and X. Raven Beak killed the Thoha instead of going along with that, sparing Quiet Robe cause he needed one Thoha for his Metroid Bioweapon plans. Then he and the Mawkin went back to ZDR with Quiet Robe to prepare for capturing the Metroids, but one of the Mawkin was an X who infected the rest of the Warriors and put Raven Beak’s plan on hold until he dealt with that somehow. (Probably the robot Warriors as mentioned)

Then around this time some Federation guys stumbled on the planet, found a Metroid Larva on SR388 discovered the cool energy draining features and that it duplicated when exposed to certain radiations, only for their ship to get raided by the Space Pirates who stole the Metroid figured out it was Chozo Bio Science and went to Zebes to force the Chozo there to help turn it into a weapon. There the Zebes Bio Computer Mother Brain back stabbed the Chozo and joined up with the pirates having the ability to control the Metroids and all the Chozo knowledge. So the pirates killed the Chozo not needing them. Which led to Metroid 1/Zero Mission.

Samus: "So what I'm hearing here is that Ridley killed my second family because Raven Beak was a power hungry rear end in a top hat"

Raven Beak: "Why do I hear theme music?"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Meaty Ore posted:

It took me until this cutscene to realize that Samus' suit no longer covers her neck, which explains why the EMMIs are able to kill her so easily.

I was wondering about that, surely it's a lighting mistake or something?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like to has to be some kind of graphical error because she never has an exposed neck in any of the other cutscenes or any other iteration of the Power Suit. Also her eyes aren't visible through the visor and I feel like this is a scene where they should be.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

ilmucche posted:

I was wondering about that, surely it's a lighting mistake or something?

The cutscenes are all done in engine, so likely?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm pretty sure her neck is covered. The neck area is brown but so is the plate over her collarbone area, so it's probably just the color/how it looks in the light.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah that's not flesh.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
It also isn't the first time her neck has been "exposed", as in her armor not being bulky enough to nearly touch her helmet:

http://imgur.com/a/mKFDvp1

Also keep in mind that Samus is looking up in that shot which is making the neck look more exposed than it actually is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TaurusOxford posted:

It also isn't the first time her neck has been "exposed", as in her armor not being bulky enough to nearly touch her helmet:

http://imgur.com/a/mKFDvp1

Also keep in mind that Samus is looking up in that shot which is making the neck look more exposed than it actually is.

Yeah Chozo are super tall.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Also, the EMMI stab through, like, the thickest part of the breastplate anyway.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah the weird texture error that makes it look like her neck is exposed is very jarring and basically the only significant technical error in the entire game, at least from what i remember/have seen

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gratz, you beat Sporquatic Spawn, the boringest boss in the game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bruceski posted:

and the easiest boss to skip to boot. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If you want to find out a bosses name you can just scroll over the area of the map where you fight them the name is on it. Given that the Robot Chozo are called Robot Chozo Warriors, I would imagine they are wholly robot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But are they AI or did Raven Beak trap the minds of his warriors in a horrible cybernetic half-life so tgey could battle the X without infection?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm embarrassed to admit that Drogyga stumped me for long enough that I resorted to looking it up, and felt really dumb when I realised I just didn't notice there was a button on the other side. Once you know how to kill it, I think this is one of the easiest bosses in the game, but until you know it can be pretty frustrating. (It does die a bit more slowly if you don't do the parry thing, I think it takes three cycles if you just use missiles? and later cycles have more red fireballs and another tentacle attack, so at least it gets slightly more interesting.)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Explopyro posted:

I'm embarrassed to admit that Drogyga stumped me for long enough that I resorted to looking it up, and felt really dumb when I realized I just didn't notice there was a button on the other side.

I keep seeing this being people's issue with Drogyga and I keep being compelled to ask: Did you not pay attention to the pre-fight cutscene?

Edit: \/\/\/ - Pointing out this post for the future.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The exchange with Adam at the end of the video does a great job of selling Raven Beak as a threat. Even for people who aren't familiar with the series, being told you can't beat him even at full strength is attention grabbing.

For those who've followed the series for a long time and have an idea of how dangerous Samus really is, it really hits.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

The Lone Badger posted:

But are they AI or did Raven Beak trap the minds of his warriors in a horrible cybernetic half-life so tgey could battle the X without infection?

Probably AIs; if they're brains stuffed in robot bodies the X could get inside. Remember BOX from Fusion?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Epicmissingno posted:

Probably AIs; if they're brains stuffed in robot bodies the X could get inside. Remember BOX from Fusion?

Yes but they could be digitised minds.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

TaurusOxford posted:

I keep seeing this being people's issue with Drogyga and I keep being compelled to ask: Did you not pay attention to the pre-fight cutscene?

I specifically said "on the other side". You see one button in the cutscene. I saw the one on the left, got to the point of "stun the thing, button lowers the water, um... do something from the ceiling? but what?".

That said, I'll admit I could probably pay more attention to the cutscenes.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Bruceski posted:

I love Samus's reaction at the end, even she's just going "...really?"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That boss was there :geno: I guess. Didn't drop anything or guard anything (new zone doesn't count).

Unrelated: "not worthy adversary"? Really Adam? Since when did you care about warrior honour? Are you trying to reverse psychology Samus into fighting Raven Beak? Just tell her to go get him any objections lady.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Adam: "I heard Raven Beak has a six pack. I heard he's loving ripped."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It is pretty confusing what's going on here. Raven Beak had Samus beat but didn't extract her Metroid DNA, but if he's waiting for Samus to kill an X or whatever, why has he turned the EMMIs into Samus Murder Machines? Samus dies when the EMMIs extract her DNA, so why didn't he do that himself in the first place? Not to mention the robotic warriors that simply kill Samus without extracting genetic material. I don't quite understand what Raven Beak is after.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Well consider how all the EMMIs so far had Samus's powers, and despite being exploration bots are limited to specific zones. Could be part of some test I guess? To what end, we'll have to wait and see.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torrannor posted:

It is pretty confusing what's going on here. Raven Beak had Samus beat but didn't extract her Metroid DNA, but if he's waiting for Samus to kill an X or whatever, why has he turned the EMMIs into Samus Murder Machines? Samus dies when the EMMIs extract her DNA, so why didn't he do that himself in the first place? Not to mention the robotic warriors that simply kill Samus without extracting genetic material. I don't quite understand what Raven Beak is after.

Well assuming she dies. I think Raven Beak or an EMMI could just walk over to her corpse and extract the DNA.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 9, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Torrannor posted:

Samus dies when the EMMIs extract her DNA, so why didn't he do that himself in the first place?

That's the question, isn't it? Adam straight up said that's the only thing he doesn't understand.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ungulateman posted:

My impression is that the physical amnesia was also part of his plan - force Samus to go through all her usual adventurous nonsense in order to uhh...'activate' or 'prime' (:v:) her metroid DNA so that he can use it for Reasons

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well assuming she dies. I think Raven Beak or an EMMI could just walk over to her corpse and extract the DNA.

Well if Samus is mutating (as metroids are prone to do when blasted with ridiculous radiation, and who has a ridiculous laser cannon on their arm? Raven Beak) And Raven Beak wants super weapons, he is going to wait and see what she turns into, THEN kill her for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I just realised that the meme is true: metroid really is a girl