Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I want to post this somewhere and here's as good as any?

Looks like there's a militia compound up for sale!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/993-Eagle-Crest-Ln-Spencer-IN-47460/102886899_zpid/

e: oof, terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

I want to post this somewhere and here's as good as any?

Looks like there's a militia compound up for sale!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/993-Eagle-Crest-Ln-Spencer-IN-47460/102886899_zpid/

e: oof, terrible snipe

I know a lot of the price is for the land but I cannot stop laughing at 940k for a doublewide in Indiana.

E: ok uh that turned out differently than I expected

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 4, 2021

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I guess someone needs to pay their Jan. 6th legal bills.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BonerGhost posted:

I know a lot of the price is for the land but I cannot stop laughing at 940k for a doublewide in Indiana.

E: ok uh that turned out differently than I expected

That's not a doublewide, that's on a concrete foundation and was built on site. The lack of skirting is the first giveaway.

Not many people are going to take the time to put a full pad down under a doublewide. If they're putting a doublewide on any permanent foundation, block would be the most likely method so you still have access to the plumbing underneath. It's a boring rear end house, but it's not two trailers butted together.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's not a doublewide, that's on a concrete foundation and was built on site. The lack of skirting is the first giveaway.

Not many people are going to take the time to put a full pad down under a doublewide. If they're putting a doublewide on any permanent foundation, block would be the most likely method so you still have access to the plumbing underneath. It's a boring rear end house, but it's not two trailers butted together.
A boring rear end house... with an underground bomb shelter and firing range though!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was an episode of This American Life called "don't you be my neighbor" about a guy that bought property in a quiet area, set up a "firearms tactics school" and proceeded to have his "students" harass the neighbors when they complained.

That's what that property reminds me of, some rear end in a top hat skirting zoning laws to run a business as a "school" and proceed to make the local area unlivable, and lying about his background and credentials to make himself seem more authentic.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
https://v.redd.it/v8jb4wjskex71

You don't mind crawling up the stairs, right?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

South Philly basement stairs represent

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

EmptyVessel posted:

Some enterprising Angelenos need to get to Hancock Park and introduce this idiot's "lots of windows" to "lots of rocks", repeatedly.

As a kid I stayed briefly in the Corbusier building in Marseille and as far as I remember it it was great. Plenty windows and light (seem to recall a two storey window as one side of the lounge/sitting room bit with interior stairs to access the upper rooms), and it had a paddling pool on the roof for kids to play in.

it really depends on which corbusier stuff he is taking inspiration from, and how he "fixed" the "problems" with it. a lot of corbusier's ideas were soulless and dehumanizing

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Apparently cedar 6 x 6 posts are not up to code for porch supports. I can get an engineer to sign off on them for $500.

Just bought 4 PT posts. :(

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Blistex posted:

Apparently cedar 6 x 6 posts are not up to code for porch supports. I can get an engineer to sign off on them for $500.

Were the permit drawings different or something? How is this showing up so late in construction cycle.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

That blows, I remember paying through the nose for cedar 4x4s on my deck railing, cannot imagine what 6x6 costs.

If you want to help the PT blend in with the rest of the structure I can't recommend this stuff enough in Bronze Cedar. https://seal-once.com/product/marine-premium-wood-sealer/

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

iv46vi posted:

Were the permit drawings different or something? How is this showing up so late in construction cycle.

They're my own cedar I cut and planed. They were beautiful. But the brown PT posts are ok looking. Going to stain them.

An afternoon with a bottle jack and it will be up to code.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Blistex posted:

They're my own cedar I cut and planed. They were beautiful. But the brown PT posts are ok looking. Going to stain them.

An afternoon with a bottle jack and it will be up to code.

Oh, you needed something with traceable qa for structural, gotcha.

How about turning your cedar into planks and boxing the PT posts with them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

iv46vi posted:

Oh, you needed something with traceable qa for structural, gotcha.

How about turning your cedar into planks and boxing the PT posts with them.

Code dictates my porch (9' overhang) is supported by 6x6" posts. :psyduck:

Turning them into 7-8" posts would probably look comical. I can just stain them and build something else with the cedar.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Norm Abram would build a pergola with it.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it really depends on which corbusier stuff he is taking inspiration from, and how he "fixed" the "problems" with it. a lot of corbusier's ideas were soulless and dehumanizing

Eh, Munger specifically cites the Unité d'Habitation in Marseille as what he based his design on. The "problem" was it being "too narrow" apparently, which he "fixed" by designing a massive cubical block which by definition gives you less surface area to volume -> no windows for most of the dorms cells.

I find Le Corbusier's original ideas less soulless and dehumanising than many of the later Brutalist* housing projects that claimed to be following on from him but totally missed the point. Munger seems to be a particularly extreme example of this.

*Brutalist structures can be amazing as objects but as living spaces can be pretty brutal. :v:

e:clarification.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 7, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Windows for me and not for thee

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OP asks if the switch is supposed to be glowing.

Everyone assumes he’s trolling and that it’s not a serious question.

OP provides video.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I mean, where else is the light supposed to be when the switch is off?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mycomancy posted:

I mean, where else is the light supposed to be when the switch is off?

:science: Thank you. I was always too embarrassed to ask this. When I start wiring my house is there a brand of light reservoir tank you would recommend so that the switches don't glow.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blistex posted:

:science: Thank you. I was always too embarrassed to ask this. When I start wiring my house is there a brand of light reservoir tank you would recommend so that the switches don't glow.

You can save a lot of money by using your water heater as a dual water/light reservoir. All you have to do is wire all your lights through the tank in the water and heater, super simple! Before any of you fucks who've been corrupted by "safety" people, this works because photons have no mass and thus take up no space, learn some physics before you criticize!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

All our light switches have tiny green LEDs embedded that glow when the light is off. All our fan switches have tiny red LEDs embedded that glow when the fan is on.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

peanut posted:

All our light switches have tiny green LEDs embedded that glow when the light is off. All our fan switches have tiny red LEDs embedded that glow when the fan is on.

LEDs cost money.

Arcing is free.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Looks like they need to replace or recalibrate their light expansion tank

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Final Blog Entry posted:

Looks like they need to replace or recalibrate their light expansion tank

It could be a light hammer from someone else turning off another light too quickly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I do think it’s interesting that it’s a dimmer switch (slider to right of undersized toggle).

I wish I could see how it failed internally.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Posts are to code now. Working on stair stringers so I can get the inspector to check out my panel box. Apparently they have a problem with using rickety aluminum ladders sitting on smooth concrete surfaces.

Actually this was a pretty cheap lesson for my dad. His mantra has been throughout the build, "what are they going to do make us rip it out?"

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It could be a light hammer from someone else turning off another light too quickly.

Honestly why do they even bother having two separate trades? Plumbing and electrical are just interchangeable skills.

Edit: my neighbour's panel box has been sparking and an electrician was over to try and fix it. Anyone want to hazard a guess what brand panel box?

Blistex fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 7, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Federal Pacific, if wired correctly.

Anything else otherwise

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/OjhdOTt.gifv

When you finally lose the battle

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Imagine the smell

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PainterofCrap posted:

Anything else otherwise

Stab-Lok

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PainterofCrap posted:

Anything else otherwise

No love for Zinsco?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Finished the first run of my stairs. Double 3/4" ply for the treads, single 3/4 ply for the risers. A builder friend stopped by and said I had hosed up the stringers, because they would never fit together right.

(Put the treads and risers in the slots on one side, then put the other Stringer on top and hammer them into the slots on the other(PL already applied, then screw and nail).

It's tacked into place right now. Need a wall on the other side and some 2x6 beams on the ends and tapconned into the floor.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
dk if the topic of munger's student torture apparatus in the form of a house is still at all interesting, but get a load of the Billionaire Defender Squad logging on

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nurmie posted:

dk if the topic of munger's student torture apparatus in the form of a house is still at all interesting, but get a load of the Billionaire Defender Squad logging on

quote:

It may not sound dreamy, but it beats living in a car.

Yes, that's definitely the standard I hold hundreds-of-millions dormitories to.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You don't understand. There IS a problem, and we can't get bogged down in irrelevant questions like 'will this actually solve it?'

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nurmie posted:

Lol, comparing to the a bungalow court, who's defining feature is no shared walls, leading to windows on all 4 sides.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

nurmie posted:

quote:

Of course, the root cause of this student housing crisis — the reason the university finds itself needing a behemoth like Dormzilla — is the refusal of UCSB’s neighbors to allow housing construction. Like so many towns and cities in California, the communities around the university are in the thrall of single-family zoning policies that make multifamily developments all but impossible, forcing students and staff to either live far from campus or pay inflated housing prices. In neighboring Goleta, a segregationist zoning code bans apartments nearly citywide, while in unincorporated Isla Vista, densities are strictly capped at 20 units per acre. The city of Santa Barbara has permitted fewer than 500 apartments over the past half-decade — half as many units as down-and-out Detroit built last year — despite enormous demand. (For further context: Each floor of Munger Hall would have more than 500 units.)

guys i don't think it's really a defense of munger's architectural vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bad Munki posted:

https://i.imgur.com/OjhdOTt.gifv

When you finally lose the battle

That's really one for PerfectlyCutScreams.