Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a typical time the games drop on release day? I've got a 4 day weekend and I'm gonna go all in on FFV remaster.

Typically midnight for consoles, ~1pm EST on Steam. Bigger releases sometimes have a global launch regardless of platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was SoM unfinished? I thought its issue was they had to cut content because of storage limitations on the SNES cartridges since they were originally designing it for a SNES CD add-on or something to that effect.

Probably not I just wanted in on the argument.

It was very hastily cut down causing poo poo like it being impossible to get all the weapon orbs.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

exquisite tea posted:

Typically midnight for consoles, ~1pm EST on Steam. Bigger releases sometimes have a global launch regardless of platform.

Excellent. It should be out by the time I get out of work. Ahhh yeah.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Earthbound PR when

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

zenguitarman posted:

Earthbound PR when

Never :smith:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

That's fine, I actually don't think they can improve upon anything anyway.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Secret of Mana has some cut content, but I don't think it's anything like as blatantly unfinished as the way Chrono Cross has "huge cast of characters who mostly don't have unique dialogue or sidequests", "we brought back the hugely-popular dual tech system from the first game but there are only three techs for it, two of which you will never, ever find without a guide" or "we had somebody summarize the plot of Act 3 on your way into the final dungeon because we had no time to make it."

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah I’d rather them not touch Earthbound it really is about perfect the way it is. Besides porting it more often. Such a unique title from that time frame.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Chrono Cross is a game that is solidly fine, it has very high highs but it has some really bad aspects as well. Only a handful of playable characters get development, the element system makes swapping out characters a hassle so you’re discouraged from fully utilizing the large cast, and the difficulty is maybe too easy except for like two really difficult fights (Miguel and Dario).

There are great plot segments (Fairy genocide, chronopolis, viper manor) and boring pointless filler (almost everything on the Zelbess, Gaia’s Navel, anything with Starky). Thankfully, the New Game + mode included a fast forward button.

To anyone who liked Chrono Cross, I would highly recommend Baten Kaitos. Masato Kato was definitely in a similar mood when writing it, the world has a similar feel, and it’s also highly flawed but with some really excellent parts to it.

Anyway here’s my Chrono Cross character tier list
SS: Serge, Lynx, Glenn
S: Harle, Guile
A: Kid
Bunny-girl: Janice
C: pretty much everyone else
F: Poshul

Always good to find somebody else reppin' the greatness that was Baten Kaitos. It's also another game with an all time great soundtrack.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You can fairly say that Secret of Mana didn't get some story/character/area development that it was meant to have in production, but I think they probably did their best to edit to the content they did have so that it still feels like a mostly complete game of the era.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably not I just wanted in on the argument.

It was very hastily cut down causing poo poo like it being impossible to get all the weapon orbs.

It's possible to get all the weapon orbs, they're just pretty obscenely rare drops.

ETA: Well, besides a final Sword orb. But that's story stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, only the final weapon orbs are rare drops in the last dungeon, two that should appear in chests in earlier dungeons just don't, I think the axe and something else, it's impossible to get all the orbs for those weapon. Although you can still get the final orb drops for them they'll always be one weapon level less.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you can farm more than one orb for those weapons

SoM was not hastily cut down from a CD version; they decided early in the project to make it a traditional cart game instead. it was slightly unfinished in that the whole empire section is very cut down, but it's not clear whether that was due to time constraints or space constraints (i.e. square not wanting to shell out for a slightly bigger cart to hold everything they had planned)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, only the final weapon orbs are rare drops in the last dungeon, two that should appear in chests in earlier dungeons just don't, I think the axe and something else, it's impossible to get all the orbs for those weapon. Although you can still get the final orb drops for them they'll always be one weapon level less.

The glove and axe orbs can drop twice in the Mana Fortress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well okay, I guess they just never dropped in the 20 hours I watched one of my friends farm the last dungeon for then lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That sounds about right for a mid-'90s JRPG sidequest for "ultimate" gear; grind for hours and the stupid thing still doesn't drop. I never got the Sword of Kings in Earthbound, and I hear Pink Tails and summon drops in FF4 are very similar.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Super secret bullshit in games is good like that in general. I spent AGES being semi-convinced I was getting punked on the Hadoken existing in Mega Man X, because that poo poo just. would. not. work on my cartridge. I was loving blown away when I did it on the Legacy Collection, and holy poo poo there was the capsule.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I remember finding the Chris Houlihan room completely by accident while I was playing LttP alone at home one day, and when my brothers got home I was like "Oh man I found this secret room you gotta check this out!" and tried redoing what I did to get into it, but it didn't work, and they just accused me of making it up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've got a bit of a strange issue with the Yuffie DLC for FF7.

I'm running through a factory and am supposed to hit switches to move shutters that let me climb up a wall.

For some reason there's no interaction prompt for the second set of switches for gate 2 (after you beat the dog enemy), so I'm completely stuck.

I looked up a few guides and it says I should be able to interact with the machine with a big 2 on it but I can't. Saving and reloading doesn't seem to do anything and restarting the checkpoint puts me all the way back in Sector 7.

Is this a known bug or am I just missing something.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ah whatever, I'll post it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5jUF7VjedA

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m not joking they need to pixelize/demake every FF

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

That sounds about right for a mid-'90s JRPG sidequest for "ultimate" gear; grind for hours and the stupid thing still doesn't drop. I never got the Sword of Kings in Earthbound, and I hear Pink Tails and summon drops in FF4 are very similar.

maybe three playthroughs and a couple dedicated grinding sessions and i never got it either. stupid +30 offense

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jokes posted:

I’m not joking they need to pixelize/demake every FF

Pixel Demake FFXIII assets have already been partially made!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

With absolutely no basis I'm just going assume that CT is one of those games that is much better remembered in the west than it is in Japan, like Earthbound.

I don’t see how that could possibly be true for Earthbound considering Nintendo refuses to port its sequel to the west despite every single western fan begging them to.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I've been working my way through the various FF remasters/ports on the Switch, and I recently picked up the FF7/FF8 combo. I haven't seriously played either one since high school when they came out as PC ports (the price of being a N64 kid), and this is the first time I've actually sat down in my comfy chair and played them on a TV via a console.

I've mostly been focusing in FF8 so far, but I fired up FF7 just to make sure it works okay and to get things rolling. And while the nostalgia factor is great, I have to say the writing/translation/dialog is a serious oof. I remember Barret's "angry black man ebonics" dialog being fairly cringey even back in the day, and time has not been kind to it. Combine that with the text telling you literally the wrong thing during the very first major fight of the game ("Attack while its tail is up!") and... yeah, I'm basically hammering A in fast forward mode any time dialog comes up. But the music, graphical aesthetics, and actual gameplay are all fantastic, so I'm sure I'll have a fun time with it.

And then we get to FF8. I'm about halfway through it right now, and holy living gently caress if

jokes posted:

Not to be underselling here, I must note that the world and plot of FF8 is loving insane.
is the absolute truth. This is some 100% purestrain batshit craziness. The plot is crazy. The world is gloriously, delightfully crazy. The people are, for the most part, absolutely loving crazy and nonsensical. Robin Williams just turned over control of a giant flying schoolhouse to the teenager who just graduated from it because it's "destiny" and that's not even breaking through the craziness noise floor of this game.

FF8 has a ton of ambitions, which it mostly fails at, but I have to give them some respect for trying. A lot of the integration between player action and FMV or other scripted sequences is extremely janky, leaving it unclear when you actually have control of your character or not. And they really lean hard into little gameplay minigames throughout the plot, but these are all one-off things which are usually poorly introduced or explained and mainly serve as frustration elements.

But for all that... it's a fantastically compelling world. The visual design presages a lot of what you see in FFX. It's not cyberpunk or steampunk, but it's intriguingly its own unique mix of high-tech and fantasy. I dunno, is "tweepunk" a term? You have a mix of cozy, burnished wood and plush upholstery next to modern computer terminals and electronics. It's like someone transplanted 1990's technology into an idealized 1910's Edwardian Britain.

Gameplay-wise, it's a completely unique critter. It's an RPG where leveling up is a detriment to be avoided at all costs. The best way to obtain the highest level spells and equipment isn't by delving the deepest dungeons, but by playing card games with people. I'm genuinely curious how much of the game-breaking nature of the various systems (junctioning, refining, carding, etc) was realized by the designers, and how much was only figured out after the fact. Bottom line, there are multiple systems in play which if you exploit them all to the maximum reach ludicrous levels of game-breaking. As long as you can ignore the fact that all the characters are space aliens masquerading as humans based on what they learned from watching soap operas, it's an extremely fun system to explore.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Final Fantasy 8 is utterly fascinatingly bizarre in that the technical capabilities have improved as they got more accustomed to the hardware and what they could do with it, everything is on SOME level more polished, but it has... not less ambition than its predecessor, but more a sense of "eh let's just gently caress around." They succeeded, they made the Playstation's killer app with 7, now they can just do whatever seems fun in a stream-of-consciousness way.

It's like how John Boorman got the Best Director Oscar for Deliverance and took that clout and influence and freedom from constraint and made fuckin Zardoz and Exorcist 2 and other batshit crazy nonsense because screw it, he had nothing to prove.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF8 is the only video game that managed to apply a mathematical exponent to the game’s plot.

Student. Graduation. Dance. Sorceresses. Revolution. Wars. History wars. Moon. Moon sorceress space prison. SPACE TRAVEL. LUNAR CRY. CID’S DEMENTIA ORPHANAGE. TIME KOMPRESSION.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
FF8's music is thoroughly excellent too

The only blot on the game imo is the junction system, I did not like how magic just seemed like consumables you had to draw from monsters, and if you set them to stats you were effectively locked out of using that particular magic. The materia system from 7 was much more flexible, interesting and fantastical.

jokes posted:

FF8 is the only video game that managed to apply a mathematical exponent to the game’s plot.

Student. Graduation. Dance. Sorceresses. Revolution. Wars. History wars. Moon. Moon sorceress space prison. SPACE TRAVEL. LUNAR CRY. CID’S DEMENTIA ORPHANAGE. TIME KOMPRESSION.

Not to mention the baddy literally being all the party members' matron at the orphanage they grew up together in, but they all forgot because the GFs gave them amnesia. lol

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

jokes posted:

Nah, Tactics did too. You start out at a school with your buddy, get given a small unimportant mission from your brother who wants to help kickstart your career, which snowballs into fighting the leader of a revolution, finding out your best friend is behind a plot to kidnap the princess, giving her shelter at the church to keep her out of the hands of those who want to start a war, to finding out the church is in on the war, now there's magic stones that turn people into monsters, now we're fighting Dracula and his hot assassins who are actually demons in disguise, now here's a guy whose girlfriend is a dragon, now here's Cloud loving Strife from Final Fantasy 7, now the bad guys have kidnapped the main character's sister because they need her body so they can resurrect Jesus who was actually secretly evil.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nah, Tactics did too. You start out at a school with your buddy, get given a small unimportant mission from your brother who wants to help kickstart your career, which snowballs into fighting the leader of a revolution, finding out your best friend is behind a plot to kidnap the princess, giving her shelter at the church to keep her out of the hands of those who want to start a war, to finding out the church is in on the war, now there's magic stones that turn people into monsters, now we're fighting Dracula and his hot assassins who are actually demons in disguise, now here's a guy whose girlfriend is a dragon, now here's Cloud loving Strife from Final Fantasy 7, now the bad guys have kidnapped the main character's sister because they need her body so they can resurrect Jesus who was actually secretly evil.

When you write it out like that, it's almost PlatinumGames level of bullshit escalation.

FFT really is the best

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Combine that with the text telling you literally the wrong thing during the very first major fight of the game ("Attack while its tail is up!") and...
IIRC that line is "Attack while the tail is up and it'll counterattack with its laser" or something like that, the textbox line break just happens to be right after "up" and the game doesn't pause or otherwise force you to read the whole thing so people read it as an imperative and not a warning. It's poorly phrased no doubt, but it's not outright lying to you.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC that line is "Attack while the tail is up and it'll counterattack with its laser" or something like that, the textbox line break just happens to be right after "up" and the game doesn't pause or otherwise force you to read the whole thing so people read it as an imperative and not a warning. It's poorly phrased no doubt, but it's not outright lying to you.

You recall incorrectly.

quote:

Barret, be careful!
Attack when its tails up
It's gonna counter with its laser!

While there's no punctuation after saying to attack when its tail is up, the next line has the first word capitalized, as if to indicate it is a separate sentence from the previous statement. Thus, the game makes it seem as if Cloud is saying "Attack when its tail is up, because if you don't, it will counter with its laser." JRPGs have plenty of bosses where there is a phase where they're powering up for an attack, and if you don't deal x damage or attack them in time, they'll bust out a powerful attack on you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Maybe my friends and I were just used to rpgs with jank translations fit into text bosses that were too small, but we read that line with the correct intent.

Plus all the first FF bosses we were familiar with just counter attacked if you hit them at the wrong time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah it's not impossible to read it and understand what it's trying to say, and honestly the laser doesn't even deal that much damage, like my first time playing I got hit by it and went "Oh, whoops, guess it was trying to say not to attack it, oh well." Maybe I'd feel different if I'd gotten a game over from it or something, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pigbuster posted:

I don’t see how that could possibly be true for Earthbound considering Nintendo refuses to port its sequel to the west despite every single western fan begging them to.

A) Nintendo Japan had no idea Earthbound was as popular as it was until fairly recently b) it's a GBA game that would require effort to translate c) it has some dodgy bits that would be hard to localise out

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
FF8 is good, actually.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

All Final Fantasy games are good. Except your favourite one. That one sucks and you should feel bad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've never been involved in any missile launches IRL but is it normal to have an error ratio you can crank up to 75%

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I've never been involved in any missile launches IRL but is it normal to have an error ratio you can crank up to 75%

I always took it to be a spread ratio, for cluster /high explosive loads so you can gently caress up the target widespread.

But then again, the missiles curved and tried homing in on the garden anyhow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah it's not impossible to read it and understand what it's trying to say, and honestly the laser doesn't even deal that much damage, like my first time playing I got hit by it and went "Oh, whoops, guess it was trying to say not to attack it, oh well." Maybe I'd feel different if I'd gotten a game over from it or something, though.
You instead get a nice chunk to your Limit and are now encouraged to make it counter again, since you now know that harder hits greatly increases the gauge. It is a learning experience designed like a troll move.