Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He's great too. He has a fantastic voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJMhYtYKMQ I hope he does more acting since I think this was his first role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kurzon posted:

I was told that Frank Herbert was a feminist.

Everything's comparative when you're talking about scifi from the 60s and 70s

(and 80s and 90s and...)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GORDON posted:

Here's a question:

If the guild controls space travel, does FTL communication exist? This would be a good reason reverend mother finally asks Jessica why she had a boy, fifteen years after the fact.

Or are they just delivering mail scrolls ship to ship?
FTL ships don't necessarily imply FTL communication, and there's a whole sub-genre of science fiction where it's basically the norm - namely space opera.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

FTL ships don't necessarily imply FTL communication, and there's a whole sub-genre of science fiction where it's basically the norm - namely space opera.

FTL ships ARE FTL communication. Even if a heighliner just carries a single imperial herald, information would move extremely quickly through the empire.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MrYenko posted:

FTL ships ARE FTL communication. Even if a heighliner just carries a single imperial herald, information would move extremely quickly through the empire.
FTL communication as used in science fiction is usually distinct from someone carrying messages on FTL ships, but you're right that it's still faster-than-messages-sent-at-c.

I'm enough of a nerd that I spent one or more posts in the GBS thread theorizing about whether the Guild Heighliners travel in a hub-spoke model, ad-hoc where they need to, or whether it's more like a planned set of routes on a time table.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 7, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FTL communication as used in science fiction is usually distinct from someone carrying messages on FTL ships, but you're right that it's still faster-than-messages-sent-at-c.

I'm enough of a nerd that I spent one or more posts in the GBS thread theorizing about whether the Guild Heighliners travel in a hub-spoke model, ad-hoc where they need to, or whether it's more like a planned set of routes on a time table.

Probably a combination of all three. You've got planets like Kaitain that'll have a lot of direct to-and-from traffic for goods alone due to population or importance or whatever that'd be a hub and then there's longer general trade routes around long series of major Great House planets and then more rare special charters for when something needs to go somewhere rapidly. It's a million+ worlds there's room for diversity.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I can't remember if the novels have any indication that the guild ships are jump gates like depicted in the movie, I always imagined that they were just really big vessels that can move as fast as the plot requires them to and that it was really expensive for them to go places, so it always felt to me like dune was of the particular soft sci-fi brand that had implicit FTL communications without delving into the logistics of them at all, it's been years since my last re-read but I really can't think of any instance where FTL communications are discussed as a logistic hurdle, or something particularly expensive. Maybe it's just my bad memory.

Ej
Apr 13, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's really cool in a way which is not filmable…
Didn’t stop Dune ‘84 from trying. :v:

It's doable. You just have to trust in your abilities as a director and in your actors. In this scene from Dune 84 the duke is upset about the fuckup with the harvester and then kynes has a long reaction shot with a voiceover explaining how he is re-evaluating the duke. But, you don't really need the voiceover to get it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MrYenko posted:

Yea but they make a point of how expensive that trip was just to send the message. It's possible that the only ftl communication that exists is what's conveyed on these freighters, effectively either rumors or very formal pronouncements.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Dune definitely doesn’t have ftl radio. There is tons of plot points about curriers being killed, captured, faked, delayed, etc. everything is sent by the space equivalent of horse messengers

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I'm bad at reading.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Complications posted:

Probably a combination of all three. You've got planets like Kaitain that'll have a lot of direct to-and-from traffic for goods alone due to population or importance or whatever that'd be a hub and then there's longer general trade routes around long series of major Great House planets and then more rare special charters for when something needs to go somewhere rapidly. It's a million+ worlds there's room for diversity.
What I ended up with was a logistics theory of some kind of long-trip caravan, as that fits with the Heighliner having thousands of ships from each house, carrying wares around to different planets to try and sell.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I can't remember if the novels have any indication that the guild ships are jump gates like depicted in the movie, I always imagined that they were just really big vessels that can move as fast as the plot requires them to and that it was really expensive for them to go places, so it always felt to me like dune was of the particular soft sci-fi brand that had implicit FTL communications without delving into the logistics of them at all, it's been years since my last re-read but I really can't think of any instance where FTL communications are discussed as a logistic hurdle, or something particularly expensive. Maybe it's just my bad memory.
It's hinted at, because Paul is told that he mustn't try and see Guildsmen after he asks if they can leave their freighter - something that would only be achievable if the freighters attach to the Heighliner and travel with it for some amount of time.

I've said it before, but Dune is the best kind of science fiction because it's about people, not about technobabble.
That's also another thing the books of the failson fall short of.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I've said it before, but Dune is the best kind of science fiction because it's about people, not about technobabble.
That's also another thing the books of the failson fall short of.

I feel like the exact opposite, dune is like peak sci-fi of people just walking around, entering rooms and then whoever is in the room spontaneously reciting the wikipedia page of the entire history of whatever random object they are holding or group they belong to. Like 75% of scenes in dune start with someone narrating to someone else what something is called and what it does.

It's why by the end most characters were immortal or clones of each other, so they could just stop having characters to write and have more time for everyone to explain things to each other more. Like I love dune but it's up there with Stephen baxter books for "everyone exists just to walk around and explain the setting to the reader"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The spice gives health and long life

https://i.imgur.com/0LcqCSv.mp4

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

I don't see how you can possibly adapt book 2/3 at all into a movie meant for general audience

It would never happen in a million years but I would have Lynch do Messiah.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Arglebargle III posted:

The spice gives health and long life

https://i.imgur.com/0LcqCSv.mp4

Hot Pot base? Why the tofu?

edit: oh, is it lard?

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 8, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the exact opposite, dune is like peak sci-fi of people just walking around, entering rooms and then whoever is in the room spontaneously reciting the wikipedia page of the entire history of whatever random object they are holding or group they belong to. Like 75% of scenes in dune start with someone narrating to someone else what something is called and what it does.

It's why by the end most characters were immortal or clones of each other, so they could just stop having characters to write and have more time for everyone to explain things to each other more. Like I love dune but it's up there with Stephen baxter books for "everyone exists just to walk around and explain the setting to the reader"

that's not technobabble

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
exposition is really loving tough to write in a novel let alone in a screenplay, and that goes double for some of the crazy poo poo in sci-fi. Dune the movie left a lot of stuff on the floor in the translation between book and cinema and there's a few things I wish had been included, but generally I can't complain with how the movie pulled it off. Like, Kubrick's Shining left a ton of Jack's character out of the movie, and sort of suffered for it compared to the rich characterization of the novel, but Kubrick nailed the creeping-horror feel of the Overlook. That's sort of how I feel about Dune. And also Denis Villeneuve generally. The quality of the directing and cinematography is so good that it accidentally makes a gap between the audience and the characters. Good directors like Kubrick, Villeneuve, et al can use that to tell otherworldly stories. Bad directors don't. Inception and Tenet come to mind.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
qne

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ej posted:

It's doable. You just have to trust in your abilities as a director and in your actors. In this scene from Dune 84 the duke is upset about the fuckup with the harvester and then kynes has a long reaction shot with a voiceover explaining how he is re-evaluating the duke. But, you don't really need the voiceover to get it.

A similar shot was in DUNC too when the duke tells the harvesters to start running already, Kynes has this quick but noticable reaction.
Gets the same point across.

(speaking of long reaction shots. I just love the drawn out introductions to Gurney/Yueh and Thufir in the extended Lynch cut, where they just have to stand still and wait for the narration to end)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The best way to do exposition is the Jack Kirby way, where the characters just scream it at each other at the top of their voices

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

The best way to do exposition is the Jack Kirby way, where the characters just scream it at each other at the top of their voices

Also you must be in a wrestling pose while you make speeches

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

thotsky posted:

Hot Pot base? Why the tofu?

edit: oh, is it lard?

It’s butter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No, it's lard.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
In a lot of ways the whole novel is exposition. You feel like the setup is done and the real story is getting started right about the time you hit the back cover.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Captain von Trapp posted:

In a lot of ways the whole novel is exposition.

No, it's lard.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Regarde Aduck posted:

that's not technobabble

I’m not going to poison you with a needle, I am going to hold a gom jabber to your neck which is coated in meta cyanide, let me explain the whole history of this needle while we stand here with me threatening to kill you.

Like I love dune, but it is literally like 95% people saying made up words then explaining long histories and rule sets about that made up word.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I guess lard is pig fat? It's cow fat.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Arglebargle III posted:

I guess lard is pig fat? It's cow fat.

I looked the video up because it's super cool. It's beef fat.

https://www.inkstonenews.com/food/last-wonton-how-hotpot-soup-made/article/3000956

Now can anyone identify all of the spices in the spice bowl? Starts with star anise and that's about as far as I get.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cow fat is tallow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Coolnezzz posted:

Now can anyone identify all of the spices in the spice bowl? Starts with star anise and that's about as far as I get.

If you don’t mind me going back and forth on google translate for the next 15 minutes… (a lot of these are going to be Chinese spices you’ve never heard of)

八角 Star anise
草果 Tsaoko
甘草 Licorice
白扣 "White buttons"
香草 Vanilla (possibly a "fragrant grass")
香皮 Xiangpi... Periploca?
楂皮 Hawthorn peel?
丁香 Cloves
碧波 Long peppercorn
良姜 Ginger
黄挂 Looks like cinnamon (literally "yellow hanging")
挂皮 Might be a different type of cinnamon (literally "hanging leather")
毛沙仁 "The hair of" Wurfbainia villosa
香菜籽 Coriander seeds
栀子 Gardenia
千里香 Orange Jessamine
沙仁 Wurfbania Villosa
香草 Vanilla, again (possibly a "fragrant grass")
山楂 Hawthorn again? Except maybe mountain hawthorn?
香果 Possibly allspice or a relative
小茴香 Fennel
木香 Lady Banks Rose flowers
老扣 (literally "Old buckle")
山奈 Galangal
香叶 Bay leaf

JFC that's a lot of seasoning

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 8, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Steve Yun posted:

楂皮 Hawthorn peel?

Chinese hawthorn is a type of berry right? There's some junk food items made from it too like haw flakes and IIRC it's used to be very common as a sweetener in stuff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think 香草 literally means vanilla beans here. Those sure don't look like vanilla beans, and I've never tasted vanilla in hot pot broth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't think 香草 literally means vanilla beans here. Those sure don't look like vanilla beans, and I've never tasted vanilla in hot pot broth.

Google translate? Would lie to me?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Steve Yun posted:

If you don’t mind me going back and forth on google translate for the next 15 minutes… (a lot of these are going to be Chinese spices you’ve never heard of)

八角 Star anise
草果 Tsaoko
甘草 Licorice
白扣 "White buttons"
香草 Vanilla
香皮 Xiangpi... Periploca?
楂皮 Hawthorn peel?
丁香 Cloves
碧波 Long peppercorn
良姜 Ginger
黄挂 Looks like cinnamon (literally "yellow hanging")
挂皮 Might be a different type of cinnamon (literally "hanging leather")
毛沙仁 Wurfbainia villosa
香菜籽 Coriander seeds

栀子 Gardenia

Thank you! I watched it about a dozen times and was mesmerized by the spices. I also appreciate flavoring the oil with cilantro and celery.

Also holy poo poo this is a derail, to get it back on track I watched Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Dude literally tried to get Dali to play Emperor Corrino.

The best part of the thing was seeing H.R Giger talk about it, he made 5 presentations for the Harkonnen castle and this is my favorite:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

香草 literally means fragrant grass so I guess it could be a lot of things.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
According to google translate the Chinese wikipedia page for 香草 also looks like a page for generic food seasoning type herbs.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Coolnezzz posted:

Thank you! I watched it about a dozen times and was mesmerized by the spices. I also appreciate flavoring the oil with cilantro and celery.

Also holy poo poo this is a derail, to get it back on track I watched Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Dude literally tried to get Dali to play Emperor Corrino.

The best part of the thing was seeing H.R Giger talk about it, he made 5 presentations for the Harkonnen castle and this is my favorite:

It was interesting to see that the Harkonnen designs in DUNC had a clear Giger influence too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Coolnezzz posted:

In case you haven’t seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nwfQaH9K9Q
The design also makes a cameo in Prometheus.