Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a particular dev build to try or should I just gun for the latest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Latest is fine. It's hardly nightly updates anymore and they're fully save compatible when it does update.

Going from curseforge to dev version will probably break a few things itself so make sure to keep a backup.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 7, 2021

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

There's also a patched version from Exxion that fixes the robot arm bug, that you just overwrite the jar of the official 1.2.2 version. There's a couple patched jars. Would suggest the dev build though, they updated a bunch of stuff.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
One of the biggest changes for me in Omnifactory since 1.22 is that in the latest releases you are able to drag items from JEI into basically any kind of filter, which I really appreciate. What I really DON’T appreciate is how this works in the Interface Terminal. I really just want to click the JEI item so I can get its recipe and then “plus” it into the grid, but I can’t because it thinks I want to drag the item itself onto the grid. I’ve found a workaround by hitting “a” to add it to the left panel, then right-clicking that one, then I can do it. This really, really sucks.

Anyone know if I can alter this behavior somehow?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I always hit 'R' anyways to see the recipes in JEI/NEI so wasn't really bothered by it :shrug: Wouldn't be surprised if there's a config option for it though.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Dunno why I didn’t think of that. Just hard habit I suppose. That should be workable if I can just retrain myself.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Rynoto posted:

1.2.2 is the curseforge version and very out of date. You'll want the nightlies from Here with a guide to updating Here.

I didn't know this was a thing so I'm trying to swap over... and now I'm in a hell of trying to figure out multiMC and apparently none of these javas are good enough for it to launch on

Is there a good guide to how setting things up on multiMC works because trying to google anything minecraft related is a nightmare of endless youtube videos now

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ixjuvin posted:

I didn't know this was a thing so I'm trying to swap over... and now I'm in a hell of trying to figure out multiMC and apparently none of these javas are good enough for it to launch on

Is there a good guide to how setting things up on multiMC works because trying to google anything minecraft related is a nightmare of endless youtube videos now

MMC should just straight up accept it?

Add instance -> Import from zip, give it a name and you're good to go. Just make sure you're running the client version.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

For my newer versions of Minecraft, I use the OpenJ9 of the OpenJDK 11, you can set a default and override on a per-instance setting. The OpenJDK I have is in c:/program files/Semeru/jdk-11.0.12.7-openj9/bin/javaw.exe
For older versions, I use OpenJDK 8 because iirc the older forge versions don't like the newer javas, and that one saves into c:/program files/AdoptOpenJDK/...
Unsure about really old versions, though. I don't think I've played anything older than 1.7.10 in a long time.

The Settings button at the top is where you set defaults for all packs, to change a specific pack, right-click the pack and select Edit Instance. I don't know how far back in features the release version are, since I've been running on the dev branch of MultiMC since they first released the ability to get FTB and Curse packs through it.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
oh so I literally need to download Java in and of itself, when MMC told me to point it at a java I thought it meant a Minecraft install. i guess that makes sense

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

oh so I literally need to download Java in and of itself, when MMC told me to point it at a java I thought it meant a Minecraft install. i guess that makes sense

Yeah, curse has a Java client baked into the app, but MultiMC needs a standalone installation.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Update on my project:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

taiyoko posted:

I've been moving through Cuboid Outpost, and I just used Create to help me automate creation of netherrack (and end stone later, too). I was fortunate to have gotten an ender pearl, though, because unlike the sheep shearing example in the 'ponder' for the deployer, the block just flies out of the stone barrel the same way it does when a player does it. So ender hopper it is! I'm also just barely dipping my toes into mekanism, now that I'm able to alloy osmium in the smeltery, so I have some actual piping now too.
Thanks for mentioning this modpack, it's pretty neat! I really appreciate the way you can sort of turn a lot of really basic resources infinite via the quantum singularity system as an early mechanic instead of a total endgame one like most packs would do. Having a threshold where the game can go "okay, you know how to get this and you've generated enough, let's just say you have all you need now" is really relaxing after so many modpacks of nonstop serialization with 40 side by side macerators and a spaghetti pit of pipes and cables.
It reminds me a bit of the research duplication system in Terraria's Journey mode, in a good way.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Update on my project:

This kind of wants me to change my hexxit 2 server to whatever you are using. But there are still other people playing on my hexxit 2 server. I miss the big modpacks.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 12, 2021

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Started a create above and beyond server today with friends, I spent 4 hours and made a hand powered metal press.

Would do again.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

This kind of wants me to change my hexxit 2 server to whatever you are using. But there are still other people playing on my hexxit 2 server. I miss the big modpacks.

This is a work in progress pack, unfortunately, but most of what's pictured is just Advanced Rocketry, Galacticraft, Matter Overdrive and Chisel. But what I'm building here is what the pack will be set in.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
my cables aren't connecting in omnifactory. Shouldn't it work like gtnh? I can't connect them with the wire cutters.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

my cables aren't connecting in omnifactory. Shouldn't it work like gtnh? I can't connect them with the wire cutters.

The machine you're connecting probably doesn't use EU, then. What machine is it?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Chisels and Bits question: is there a trick to making a chiseled block not able to be waterlogged?

I'm trying to recreate what I think I'm seeing here from the Create mod pack trailer but mine just spills over the sides and makes an ugly graphical mess.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Chisels and Bits question: is there a trick to making a chiseled block not able to be waterlogged?

I'm trying to recreate what I think I'm seeing here from the Create mod pack trailer but mine just spills over the sides and makes an ugly graphical mess.

It looks like they're using full strips of blocks, rather than just a corner. Maybe try that?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
That is a full strip, that's just what it looks like after water or lava overflows into it.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Theirs just appears to be four strips surrounding a source block of lava. I haven’t actually used chisel and bits post 1.12 so I don’t know how it functions in regards to being waterlogged.

Lava does not water log anything and if it is flowing over the chiseled strip than the strip is not actually occupying an adjacent block space.

Edit: Wait are you using a chiseled “block” of lava? They’re definitely just using normal Minecraft source blocks for fluid with the chiseled strip as more of an aesthetic choice than an actual requirement.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 13, 2021

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

I'm putting the exact same setup of chiseled strips on all four sides like the trailer picture, but when I add lava it flows into the chiseled strips and becomes chiseled lava. Which I can't use chisel to remove because the source lava refills it.

E: This is the before setup, just to be clear:

And I know I could use trapdoors or something else to achieve the correct setup. I'm just curious how they got it to work at this point cause it looks a little nicer.

Spectral Werewolf fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 13, 2021

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

McFrugal posted:

The machine you're connecting probably doesn't use EU, then. What machine is it?

Trying to connect a steam engine to a CEF. RF to EU converter.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

I'm putting the exact same setup of chiseled strips on all four sides like the trailer picture, but when I add lava it flows into the chiseled strips and becomes chiseled lava. Which I can't use chisel to remove because the source lava refills it.

E: This is the before setup, just to be clear:

And I know I could use trapdoors or something else to achieve the correct setup. I'm just curious how they got it to work at this point cause it looks a little nicer.

After messing around a bit the only thing I can think of is they're either using a different version of Chisels & Bits in that video or they've done some other shenanigans to make it work.

Edit: The real reason is that they're not using chisels & bits. I should also clarify this is the saw item and not the create saw and is all done in a crafting table. Just to avoid any confusion.

• Step 1: Get a Saw and a Block.
  • Step 2: Put Saw above Block to get a Slab.
  • Step 3: Put Saw to the left of the Slab to get a Pillar.
  • Step 4: Put Saw above the Pillar to get a Post.
  • Step 5: Put Saw above the Post to get a Strip.
  • Step 6: Place a temporary block where you want the lava to be
  • Step 7: Place strips around the bottom of said block
  • Step 8: Profit

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 13, 2021

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Excellent, I kept looking through JEI for a block that had an invisible portion or something. I even went to the Chisels and Bits page to see if there was something I was missing about it, checked the code, found that all fluids are supposed to have that behavior with chiseled blocks.

Thanks a bunch! I guess I can use vertical slabs and such in a bunch of other buildings and contraptions now as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390190/APICO/
Someone's making a whole game inspired by the Forestry mod. Specifically the beekeeping part. If you liked keeping bees this might be worth trying, and there's a free demo.
Personally I hate bees but I'm sure some weirdos here are going to like this.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Trying to connect a steam engine to a CEF. RF to EU converter.

the cef outputs eu which needs gregtech cabling to carry, but the dynamo outputs rf which needs enderio conduits. you want conduits from dynamo to cef, then probably gregtech conductive iron cables from cef to greg machines

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just started up Create: Above and Beyond and I'm kind of having mixed feelings about it. I'm quite enjoying learning Create, but I can't help but feel like this is the fuckin' hard way. There's absolutely zero guidance on how a lot of builds should kinda look. I've made some absolutely atrocious things, but I love them anyway. I've managed automatic non-standard cobble gen, a flint/iron generator, and a rubber generator so far. Belts and shafts and cogs loving everywhere.

I'm sure I'll get more efficient as I go, but the room-filling nightmares straight out of the Church of the Broken God are definitely enjoyable to make. But there's nothing quite like going piece by piece and watching that first iron nugget go into a chest, like I just managed. Now I just have to check that chest every so often.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Echophonic posted:

I just started up Create: Above and Beyond and I'm kind of having mixed feelings about it. I'm quite enjoying learning Create, but I can't help but feel like this is the fuckin' hard way. There's absolutely zero guidance on how a lot of builds should kinda look. I've made some absolutely atrocious things, but I love them anyway. I've managed automatic non-standard cobble gen, a flint/iron generator, and a rubber generator so far. Belts and shafts and cogs loving everywhere.

I'm sure I'll get more efficient as I go, but the room-filling nightmares straight out of the Church of the Broken God are definitely enjoyable to make. But there's nothing quite like going piece by piece and watching that first iron nugget go into a chest, like I just managed. Now I just have to check that chest every so often.

C:A+B is much more difficult than normal Create. A couple notes that'll help you out:

- A Millstone is a good thing to shoot for early - if you get a melting thing (Forget if it's the foundry or smelter, but there's an early game one pretty quick with Seared Bricks that's only a two-block thing) you can get up to 1 ingot per ore pretty fast by milling ore down, then melting the dust. (3x dust per crushed ore, 3x nuggets per dust)

- Windmills are loving great and should be your main power source.

- You don't have to fully automate everything, but you should set up stuff that you can automate later. For example, the tree cutting setup with the mechanical piston and saws is great but definitely overkill to fully automate early, just pop by every once in a while and turn it on, cut trees, turn it off, plant trees, repeat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390190/APICO/
Someone's making a whole game inspired by the Forestry mod. Specifically the beekeeping part. If you liked keeping bees this might be worth trying, and there's a free demo.
Personally I hate bees but I'm sure some weirdos here are going to like this.

all jokes about forestry aside, i think something like this will be great as it's own, stand-alone and chill thing.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Echophonic posted:

I just started up Create: Above and Beyond

It’s definitely the hard way as far as recipes, but as far as setups you could reference any create video for some basics. There are often little oddities or unexpected behaviors that can be taken advantage of to fit space constraints or reduce the number of machines needed. There is also occasion where a vanilla Minecraft contraption is a better option for a device. I have ruined many things when using rope pulleys so I use a bubble elevator to transport my andesite to the surface.

Don’t worry about making something too big. In general I find it easier to build things with a lot of extra space, otherwise I get myself trapped in situations where I need a belt moving in the opposite direction but don’t have the space for a gearbox.

Storage drawers with a void upgrade are useful for managing your generator outputs until you can hook it up to something else. Your generator should be infinite so there’s no worry about losing something and you can always add size upgrades if you want.

One last tip is that waterwheels can be set up on their side (I think this was not in Create 0.1) and rotate a bit faster than windmills so they are more optimal than windmills earlier in the game for all the low stress farms you need to make in the beginning. Windmills are more of a midrange stress capacity. Unless you like the idea of everything being powered by one central source or just like windmills because they are very cool.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

One last tip is that waterwheels can be set up on their side (I think this was not in Create 0.1) and rotate a bit faster than windmills so they are more optimal than windmills earlier in the game for all the low stress farms you need to make in the beginning. Windmills are more of a midrange stress capacity. Unless you like the idea of everything being powered by one central source or just like windmills because they are very cool.

Oh ho ho, that's pretty cool.

The biggest problem for me with any of the rotational stuff is that you don't get the ability to output items from them with the portable interfaces until the Brass age (without turning them off, I suppose), so I've got a manual piston-based setup for now.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Falcon2001 posted:

Oh ho ho, that's pretty cool.

The biggest problem for me with any of the rotational stuff is that you don't get the ability to output items from them with the portable interfaces until the Brass age (without turning them off, I suppose), so I've got a manual piston-based setup for now.

The 1.1 patch for above and beyond changed that so the interfaces are made from andesite machines in a stonecutter. A very welcome change for sure.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

all jokes about forestry aside, i think something like this will be great as it's own, stand-alone and chill thing.

agreed, it looks like chill stardew valley vibes w/ bees

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Johnny Joestar posted:

The whole bee thing is genuinely a cool and good thing. The issue was always that in the scope of being part of a mod or modpack it was an unrewarding time sink. Turning it into its own game removes that problem and yeah that doesn't sound terrible if there is enough content.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The 1.1 patch for above and beyond changed that so the interfaces are made from andesite machines in a stonecutter. A very welcome change for sure.

Oh, nice. I hadn't upgraded yet. I'll make sure to do that, although I'm probably petering out on this whole thing pretty soon.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Random vibe check. How would all of you feel, in general, about a sort of peaceful farming/exploration/problem-solving/expert experience where the only 'danger' is in managing your food, power and oxygen?

Turns out there's absolutely no way to have mobs spawn in Advanced Rocketry space dimensions.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 17, 2021

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

Random vibe check. How would all of you feel, in general, about a sort of peaceful farming/exploration/problem-solving/expert experience where the only 'danger' is in managing your food, power and oxygen?

Turns out there's absolutely no way to have mobs spawn in Advanced Rocketry space dimensions.

EXTREMELY interested, I have always found combat to be something I dread in Minecraft, even after they touched it up, always get annoyed when a pack assumes you are playing with mobs and does not have a peaceful alternative or said peaceful alternative is glacial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
When I found out I could play Omnifactory on Peaceful mode, I immediately did. I'm not sure there are enough fun mechanics to make a no-combat run interesting but I've always wanted a game along these lines that focuses purely on the survival, base building, and exploration aspects. So yeah, pretty interested in any modpack that can actually pull that off with sufficient content.