Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2, Space Marines have no morale. They never mutiny and they never run.

Why does this make me happy? Because I'm playing the Tyranids, and this makes it really easy to farm renown from Marine fleets. Tyranids are masters at hitting enemy morale, and you get less renown from enemy ships that pissed themselves and ran than you do for ships you destroyed or hulked (killed all the crew on board, something else the Tyranids are really good at). Space Marines are piss easy for Tyranids to beat, probably the Tyranids' easiest matchup in the entire game, and discovering that they have no morale means I can just keep raiding and bugging out from Marine-held systems to farm biomass and renown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got the Crash Bandicoot remasters on Steam, and having an adult swearing vocabulary really brings this game to life. Forgot how hard it was!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Switching from Yakuza 0 to the first game's remake, I knew Majima was gonna have some interest in Kiryu, but I was not expecting him to basically be a full-on cartoonish terminator hunting you down and obsessively demanding to fight you. There's even a whole system tracking you as you rank up by kicking his rear end. It should be annoying except it's so goofy and charming that I can't help but love it. My day gets a little brighter every time I hear KIRYU-CHAAAAAN echoing in the distance.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Switching from Yakuza 0 to the first game's remake, I knew Majima was gonna have some interest in Kiryu, but I was not expecting him to basically be a full-on cartoonish terminator hunting you down and obsessively demanding to fight you. There's even a whole system tracking you as you rank up by kicking his rear end. It should be annoying except it's so goofy and charming that I can't help but love it. My day gets a little brighter every time I hear KIRYU-CHAAAAAN echoing in the distance.

wait these guys aren't going to become best buds by the end of yakuza 0??

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bogmonster posted:

I'm into Watch_Dogs Legion at the moment, and it does a pretty good job of showing off London. Like, there's bits like the Barbican and Camden Market that are more accurate feeling to real life than I thought they would. But my favourite little thing is that my super sneaky spy operative has a trait where they fart loudly which alerts enemies, and I'm using that as my signal to go loud and blast fools with a "non lethal" shotgun.

This is why I'm not an assassin I'm just farting constantly

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I've not finished 0, but it sounds entirely plausible both that they become best buds and Majima is constantly hunting down Kiryu to fight him

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've not finished 0, but it sounds entirely plausible both that they become best buds and Majima is constantly hunting down Kiryu to fight him

I mean, who among us can say we haven't popped out of a sewer to roundhouse kick our friends?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Qwertycoatl posted:

They overlap by the end of 0, but not as much as I expected. By this game, Majima has a bizarre level of obsession with Kiryu, wanting to fight him as much as possible to train him up into being the most perfect opponent (who will then be worthy of being killed by him). Maybe they become actual best buds later on, this is about as blind as I've gone into a franchise.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If it helps to build any context, in the first release of Yakuza (for the PS2, which still got dubbed into English), Majima was voiced by Luke Skywalker Mark Hamill, notable for other prominent voice acting credits such as his stellar performance as the Batman's best Frenemy, the Joker

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
majima's relationship with kiryu was a lot different in the original yakuza. none of the goofy stalking stuff was in, he was just a twitchy maniac who beat his henchmen to death on a whim and was fixated on fighting and killing kiryu in particular. his one moment of depth comes when he decides not to cut the throat of a civilian he's holding hostage, because he finds their "honesty" amusing

but his character was a hit for both eastern and western audiences (the latter because he had mark hamill for a dub actor) so in yakuza 2 he became a steadfast if tremendously weird ally. double back to yakuza 0, which depicts him before he becomes a giggling nutcase, and then you go from there to kiwami, which tries to reconcile his new characterization with his original one. it's not always a success

in conclusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFoNwoMxjY

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Nov 7, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thanks, that's very interesting. I knew they changed the gameplay in the remake but I hadn't realized they'd changed that much otherwise.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Dani's little vocal outbursts in Far Cry 6, like her muttered analysis of the treasure hunts or when going for a supply drop her yelling at the guards "OH, IS THAT FOR ME!?" Reminds me a bit of Aloy at times, at least with her internal monologues.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BioEnchanted posted:

I like Dani's little vocal outbursts in Far Cry 6, like her muttered analysis of the treasure hunts or when going for a supply drop her yelling at the guards "OH, IS THAT FOR ME!?" Reminds me a bit of Aloy at times, at least with her internal monologues.

Her callouts are great. I love "hello horse" when you meet a horse.

e: The accent sells a lot of it

Vic has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Nov 7, 2021

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Kiwami is... a weird game. It was super jarring going to it straight from 0 where it's very obvious you're playing a game released 15 years prior in terms of the quality of writing. Kiwami 2 is a lot better, but it still expects you to remember a lot of characters from Kiwami which I really struggled to do. Despite reading the wiki plot synopsis multiple times and watching the full 20 minute cutscene going over the events of the first game at the start I couldn't tell you anything that happened in that game.

Even the cutscene to bring you up to speed is just nothing but "And then the trail lead him to this guy so he fought him, which lead him to this guy, so he fought him as well!"

It also had an issue of just being very samey to Yakuza 0, a game that I'd previously spent close to a hundred hours in. Still, it had its moments and at least it was relatively short.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm kind of a chump for ubi style mapfuckin' games; is far cry 6 ok? I've been seeing some positive stuff about it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The best one of the modern ones by a lot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I liked playing Farcry back in the day but I got sick of buying the same exact game year after year. Is this one actually any different than the last 4?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It helps that the villain feels the most rounded and human compared to prior villains. 3's villains were just generally crazy and 4 spent the whole thing making fun of you over the phone with only a few moments to humanise him in optional content, but Anton Castillo has the most variety in his scenes.

Also it has a different structure, instead of towers revealing markers you speak to NPCs who give you intel on a thing you haven't done yet, or they tell you where a few chests are in that area.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Kiwami is... a weird game. It was super jarring going to it straight from 0 where it's very obvious you're playing a game released 15 years prior in terms of the quality of writing. Kiwami 2 is a lot better, but it still expects you to remember a lot of characters from Kiwami which I really struggled to do. Despite reading the wiki plot synopsis multiple times and watching the full 20 minute cutscene going over the events of the first game at the start I couldn't tell you anything that happened in that game.

Even the cutscene to bring you up to speed is just nothing but "And then the trail lead him to this guy so he fought him, which lead him to this guy, so he fought him as well!"

It also had an issue of just being very samey to Yakuza 0, a game that I'd previously spent close to a hundred hours in. Still, it had its moments and at least it was relatively short.

Going from 0 to Kiwami is pretty rough but the worst is going from Kiwami 2 to 3, which is just a remaster and not a wholescale remake and is really really rough with the gameplay being straight up unfun. Just as a warning.

As this is the favourite little things thread, going from 3 to 4 is a huge upgrade in general, but starting off playing as Shun Akiyama who has one of the most fun playstyles in the franchise is really nice.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RCarr posted:

I liked playing Farcry back in the day but I got sick of buying the same exact game year after year. Is this one actually any different than the last 4?

The core gameplay is the same old thing. It got rid of all the annoying stuff tho. No skinning animations, no toweIrs, no tacked on leveling system.

I really liked the vibe

e: ton of out of touch "fellow kids" moments in the various missions but i'm not playing FC for the writing. The map and the toys are the real main character.

Vic has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Nov 8, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've mostly heard 3 being ranked pretty low in the series, I wasn't sure if I'd bother with it. If I even feel like doing any more immediately after 0 and Kiwami 1/2.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
e:^ Yakuza 3 is extremely clunky but also has a shitload of heart. It’s kind of the game where they set the tone for the rest of the series, so a lot of people love it even with the common advice of “play it on Easy and cruise through the story”.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Thanks, that's very interesting. I knew they changed the gameplay in the remake but I hadn't realized they'd changed that much otherwise.

The Majima Everywhere system is probably the deepest new addition and the biggest contrast from the original, but they still managed to slot it in pretty well.

There’s even a whole extra scene added to explain why Majima has a bandage on his gut at one point, because in the original game he completely disappeared for a huge chunk of the game due to getting stabbed before showing back up to inexplicably save the day (sort of).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've mostly heard 3 being ranked pretty low in the series, I wasn't sure if I'd bother with it. If I even feel like doing any more immediately after 0 and Kiwami 1/2.

I enjoyed the story but I honestly don't think you'd lose out on anything by watching a Let's Play other than idk karaoke and a pretty decent golf mini game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2, during the final story battle with the Orks, the Blood Axe clan's flagship is named the 'It Hurtz.' That is all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Something I'm appreciating about Yakuza Kiwami more than 0 is how the skill tree is handled. I felt like the original money based system incentivized me to mostly stick to upgrading one central combat style, since I wasn't doing enough side stuff to get tons of extra cash. Switching to a separate experience system, I feel like I'm much more successful in building up a versatile combat repertoire to swap around between building up energy and doing any number of crazy* finishers.

*absolutely 100% non-lethal, no matter what it looks like

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something I'm appreciating about Yakuza Kiwami more than 0 is how the skill tree is handled. I felt like the original money based system incentivized me to mostly stick to upgrading one central combat style, since I wasn't doing enough side stuff to get tons of extra cash. Switching to a separate experience system, I feel like I'm much more successful in building up a versatile combat repertoire to swap around between building up energy and doing any number of crazy* finishers.

I had a very different experience as someone who unlocked that one ability from the coliseum and proceeded to use almost literally nothing else for the entire of the game.

Kiwami 2 is just a blast, they didn't shakeup the combat too much, but what they did add was ragdoll physics. This changes everything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

moosecow333 posted:

I really like this and in my mind have a scene where a very long fart is bookended by the sound of a shotgun racking and the doom 2016 ost starting.

But...but the Doom Slayer is in an elevator...! :gonk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I dunno, I spread out the fighting styles in 0 myself since I found them useful in different scenarios, plus the health meter bonuses all stack.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I spread out because the next tier of skills generally looks absurdly expensive compared to buying out every single lower tier skill

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, once you hit a certain point it’s just “hope you’re doing the side game!” cause a single end of chapter reward is weaker than a single payout from real estate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And then once you hit a certain point it's just "hope you're doing the Mr. Shakedown 'exploit'".

(Get the Mr. Shakedown's Big Pockets exploit, lose all your money to him, engage him again and win to get your money back with interest. Repeat as necessary. Does require the ability to defeat him at will but apparently it's the quickest way by far.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

And then once you hit a certain point it's just "hope you're doing the Mr. Shakedown 'exploit'".

(Get the Mr. Shakedown's Big Pockets exploit, lose all your money to him, engage him again and win to get your money back with interest. Repeat as necessary. Does require the ability to defeat him at will but apparently it's the quickest way by far.)

Just chug drinks from the pharmacy to give yourself Heat bars and go to town on him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Which by the way is another thing about Yakuza games, at some point and usually sooner rather than later they become less about playing the system (doing combos, dodging and blocking, etc.) and more about gaming the system and finding the thing that lets you go around the mechanics, be it That One Move or having the cash for functionally infinite heat potions or finding the bulletproof equipment. I'm convinced this is intentional. The bosses don't play by the game's own rules so why should you.

what I'm saying is I chugged Tauriners all through Kiwami 2's final boss fight and just cycled through weapon types and heat moves and have no regrets

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
After a while I did basically the opposite, consumables made bosses so easy due to you basically having infinite health at all times that I made it a self-imposed challenge to beat them without using any.

Also the Mr. Shakedown trick only works with Kiryu IIRC, Majima doesn't have the required ability in his unlocks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Currently playing Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners on PSVR and I like how much more aware of my in-game presence I need to be to avoid alerting enemies or screwing up my attacks. The number of times I've alerted someone because I've accidentally dragged my knife on the ground while i was attempting to crouch-sneak up to them, or pull out a weapon from my back only to have it bonk against the wall behind me...

Also it feels really darn satusfying to pump a lever-action rifle and take down a group of enemies with some quick aiming. Especially those diseased zombies, gently caress em.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Which by the way is another thing about Yakuza games, at some point and usually sooner rather than later they become less about playing the system (doing combos, dodging and blocking, etc.) and more about gaming the system and finding the thing that lets you go around the mechanics, be it That One Move or having the cash for functionally infinite heat potions or finding the bulletproof equipment. I'm convinced this is intentional. The bosses don't play by the game's own rules so why should you.

what I'm saying is I chugged Tauriners all through Kiwami 2's final boss fight and just cycled through weapon types and heat moves and have no regrets

Oh yeah; that reminded me of the other thing you can do to Mr Shakedown; He's obscenely vulnerable to one of the taser weapons you can unlock. That plus Tauriners will just wreck him in seconds every time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kanfy posted:

After a while I did basically the opposite, consumables made bosses so easy due to you basically having infinite health at all times that I made it a self-imposed challenge to beat them without using any.

Also the Mr. Shakedown trick only works with Kiryu IIRC, Majima doesn't have the required ability in his unlocks.

It doesn’t work but there’s a workaround in that you can eventually transfer money to Majima and even without the trick Kiryu makes way more than him. Majima’s game is more fun to actively engage with, but even with his skill tree costing less it’s a lot harder to level him since you can spend real estate loving off to do side content for Kiryu.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

RCarr posted:

I really liked 5, Joseph Seed is one of the best and creepiest video game villains ever...but, the zone boss levels really annoyed me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, I spread out the fighting styles in 0 myself since I found them useful in different scenarios, plus the health meter bonuses all stack.

I'll spread out more if I go back to play it again, another thing holding me back early on was feeling weak/unskilled enough that it felt better to focus on a particular style. Dozens of hours later, I have a much better feel for the strategy of swapping styles on the fly. I'd still opt for experience over cash though, unless I ever get more involved in the big bucks sidegames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that now that I've completed the north-east faction's story in Far Cry 6, they sometimes interrupt the radio to do their own pirate radio broadcast, that's a cute touch.