Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
A friend of mine was interviewing at Google and the interviewer said the best benefit of his job was working around all the smart people, and as an example said one day he learned all about the tax code because a coworker just decided to teach him about it

Google’s legendary benefits lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh my god the number of people at work that geek out about min-maxing their retirement, credit card points, fuckin airline miles, whatever

which is all fine. the funny part is that only half of them realize that it's a hobby for them. the other half think anybody that doesn't juggle four credit cards to save $300 over the space of six months is an idiot.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Oolb posted:

I'm not an Oldie, but it seems this way to me too and I'm very worried about the future of this career. I always read stupid poo poo like - oh actually ninety percent of people are incapable of programming - oh actually most programmers are bad - oh *suspicious economic explanation*. But from my extremely uninformed perspective it seems to me that, in the right state of mind, programming is at least straightforward and that most programmers don't need to be poets - and so the salaries make no sense.

Most people are capable of learning to program. A smaller but still substantial subset of that group is capable of learning to do it well enough to do it professionally. A much smaller subset is willing to or capable of doing it for 30-60 hours a week for 40-50 years, along with keeping up with the constant continuing education needed to continue to be hireable.

The salaries make sense because everything runs on software now, there are tons of jobs, and companies need to attract the tedious weirdos who are willing to do it professionally.

Everything's going to continue to run on software for the foreseeable future. We have loving refrigerators with tablets embedded in them running special apps to remind you to buy eggs. The people building software need all kinds of special software to build their software.

More and more businesses live and die by the quality of their software and their ability to ship it frequently. It's responsible for creating an absolutely staggering amount of value for employers.

Could all of the change? Sure. Industries rise and fall and adapt and change all the time. Is it likely to happen to this industry in our lifetimes? I'd put my money on no, barring a Singularity style explosion in code writing AI or something.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
The only thing that gets mansplained to me at work is recently I said something about pumpkin pies and this dude came out of nowhere and was all “actually there is little to no pumpkin in pumpkin pie, it’s a selection of gourds that collectively the industry decided was going to be called pumpkin” and well guess I’ll die in a pauper’s grave surrounded by mediocre pies instead of giving one single solitary gently caress about taxes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

I also enjoy leaving large quantities of money on the table out of a weird aversion to reading about taxes.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Achmed Jones posted:

oh my god the number of people at work that geek out about min-maxing their retirement, credit card points, fuckin airline miles, whatever

which is all fine. the funny part is that only half of them realize that it's a hobby for them. the other half think anybody that doesn't juggle four credit cards to save $300 over the space of six months is an idiot.

Or on HN they just claim that people who don't do that don't exist and the iphone's hardware limit of 8 cards is ridiculously low when the average person has more cards than that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Vinz Clortho posted:

I also enjoy leaving large quantities of money on the table out of a weird aversion to reading about taxes.

gently caress yeah there it is :discourse: just reading the stupidest poo poo into statements

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

csammis posted:

The only thing that gets mansplained to me at work is recently I said something about pumpkin pies and this dude came out of nowhere and was all “actually there is little to no pumpkin in pumpkin pie, it’s a selection of gourds that collectively the industry decided was going to be called pumpkin” and well guess I’ll die in a pauper’s grave surrounded by mediocre pies instead of giving one single solitary gently caress about taxes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I make my pies with real punkins I roast myself :smug:

I used to grow them myself, but I keep losing the plants to powdery mildew :smith:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I've become a tax min-max freak. But it's because I hate working and would like to stop as soon as possible please.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm planning to retire early out of a belief that I'll then be able to enjoy the things I like but don't really have time for right now.

In actually I'll probably continue to not have time for most of them even after taking work out of the equation, but it's good to have dreams.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
wow, how does this thread keep getting worse? at least oliveoil was funny

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Hadlock posted:

We are hosed as a society :psyduck:

Edit: you have a reg date before 2010 :psypop:

I expect 2000 words on tax code in czech republic by 8 am tomorrow, get cracking so we aren't hosed. :rolleyes:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'd hope everyone in here is at least to the point where they're like "what do you mean my 401k has a limit" and "how the gently caress do I lower my AGI".

This is all pointless when the water wars start anyways. Live and drink, friend.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Most people are capable of learning to program. A smaller but still substantial subset of that group is capable of learning to do it well enough to do it professionally.

I'd argue the programmer (pro or otherwise) subset is much smaller than you think. It requires, even with basic CRUD jobs, being able to grasp mathematical concepts and understand (Boolean) logic, as well as being able to keep large amounts of context and existing code in your memory. Then, you have to have the personality to not get extremely frustrated when tracking down bugs and dealing with often awful and complex tooling/IDEs.

I've taught, or rather, attempted to teach, programming to non-preselected groups of people, and it's pretty rough. Just look at any college intro-level CompSci 'weedout' class: something like half of the people in that major (and they are ostensibly already interested/familiar) will drop out of it. These are also people that have the ability to concentrate/IQ necessary to be in college in the first place.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

csammis posted:

CPColin posted:

I make my pies with real punkins I roast myself :smug:

I used to grow them myself, but I keep losing the plants to powdery mildew :smith:

Roasting your own pumpkins is the best. I smoked a couple a few weeks ago. The resulting pies were great.

Pretty sure even if you just buy a can of Libby's you get 100% pumpkin.

One of the great joys in life is going into great detail explaining why someone trying to explain something like that is wrong. Alternatively then bringing in a pie and ensuring they don't get any.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

B-Nasty posted:

I'd argue the programmer (pro or otherwise) subset is much smaller than you think. It requires, even with basic CRUD jobs, being able to grasp mathematical concepts and understand (Boolean) logic, as well as being able to keep large amounts of context and existing code in your memory. Then, you have to have the personality to not get extremely frustrated when tracking down bugs and dealing with often awful and complex tooling/IDEs.

I've taught, or rather, attempted to teach, programming to non-preselected groups of people, and it's pretty rough. Just look at any college intro-level CompSci 'weedout' class: something like half of the people in that major (and they are ostensibly already interested/familiar) will drop out of it. These are also people that have the ability to concentrate/IQ necessary to be in college in the first place.

I think if you get at them at 10 you'd have a better yield than getting at them at 20, in the same way that ethics education is almost entirely finished at 15 whether folks want it to be (want to teach ethics in undergrad) or not. critical periods exist, even in a statistical manner (and to different degrees in different stuff - accent critical period is deterministic and over by 10), and no serious attempt at mass remedial adult education has succeeded even close to how mass children's education has succeeded.

gettin at em early does count as preselection but, you know, it's not like, impossible. most of our views are skewed by american college being the best of the best and american k-12 education being basically worthless except in elite enclaves where it's the best

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 8, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

luchadornado posted:

I'd hope everyone in here is at least to the point where they're like "what do you mean my 401k has a limit" and "how the gently caress do I lower my AGI".

This is all pointless when the water wars start anyways. Live and drink, friend.
No, I have never thought "how the gently caress do I lower my AGI."

I guess this is yet about hammer blow to the foundation of western civilization.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Lower AGI in favor of what? STR? INT?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Good Will Hrunting posted:

This is the devs thread, let's be honest, none of us are favouring STR.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Looking back at many of the developers I have worked with in the past, I'm pretty sure that no one is favoring CHA.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

I've taught a CS class to linguists, mostly pretty sharp people who already knew logic, formal grammars and such.
I figured they would pick it up pretty quickly, but they got completely stuck on the tooling.

Sure programmers need to be smart, but you need a masochistic streak to wrangle text files for hours on end until the compiler stops spitting out vague error messages.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

c'mon, let's not make this page go to waste on tax talk.

:420:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Y'all don't get a doctor's note so you can write cannabis off as a medical expense? loving amateurs, this is why America is a once-great nation.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

WIS is the dump stat.

pokeyman posted:

Y'all don't get a doctor's note so you can write cannabis off as a medical expense? loving amateurs, this is why America is a once-great nation.

Put a pot leaf on the flag, you coward Biden.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

leper khan posted:

Roasting your own pumpkins is the best. I smoked a couple a few weeks ago. The resulting pies were great.

Pretty sure even if you just buy a can of Libby's you get 100% pumpkin.

One of the great joys in life is going into great detail explaining why someone trying to explain something like that is wrong. Alternatively then bringing in a pie and ensuring they don't get any.

It sounds like mostly a misunderstanding over how language works. Commercially made pumpkin pies generally aren't made out of the big round orange things that you carve to make jack'o'lanterns, but which winter squash do and don't count as "pumpkins" doesn't have any sort of precise classification and varies regionally and by context. Using a broader grouping in culinary contexts than in decorative ones is something which greatly predates the concept of commercially mass-produced pumpkin pie because it turns out that most winter squash kinda taste the same when you add a bunch of sugar and spices to them.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
This thread is the only reason I log into SA anymore.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you should participate in more yospos threads then because my postin here is just yospostin but with annoying greyness in the ui

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

I dumped DEX in my current character, and let me tell you: ouch.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Votlook posted:

Sure programmers need to be smart, but you need a masochistic streak to wrangle text files for hours on end until the compiler stops spitting out vague error messages.

That's kind of where I was going. The core concepts and mechanics of programming aren't bad but you have to be a tedious weirdo to want to stare at a wall of text trying to find the misplaced semicolon or curly brace. For hours a day. For decades.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Votlook posted:

I figured they would pick it up pretty quickly, but they got completely stuck on the tooling.

This is the single biggest obstacle to getting started in programming, particularly with Python. Fix that and you've made the basics much more accessible.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you should participate in more yospos threads then because my postin here is just yospostin but with annoying greyness in the ui

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
lol it's definitely possible to do programming professionally without having any of those skills

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

You can set the thread's theme to amberpos in the apps to fix that.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Jabor posted:

I'm planning to retire early out of a belief that I'll then be able to enjoy the things I like but don't really have time for right now.
Something I didn't appreciate when I was younger was that peoples' tastes & desires change drastically over time. A dream now might be uninteresting by the time you reach retirement. Or worse, desirable but it's more physically demanding or bogged down by other responsibilities.

Which is why friends of mine have taken "pre-retirement"; a year or 2 off work to check off their bucket list before kids, elderly parents, mortgages, and general frailty get in the way. Motorcycle trip across south-east Asia, hiking Machu Picchu, etc.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Agreed with that. There are lots of things I thought I would really want in my 20s that I realize are maybe not what I thought as I edge into mid-30s. I have been realizing that one can like the idea of things more than the execution. For example, I always thought I wanted an old car but after having one, I realized I liked the idea of it more than the reality that comes with owning one. This makes me question bigger goals, like owning an 18th century house.

On the flip side, I thought so was done traveling after doing some in college but I am warming up to the idea again.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

If that 18th century house doesn't have a current century full blown update, just don't. You wouldn't run your blockchain startup on ENIAC, would you?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

gbut posted:

If that 18th century house doesn't have a current century full blown update, just don't. You wouldn't run your blockchain startup on ENIAC, would you?

I would want electricity, running water, heat etc but have it look period correct. Or a full blown period correct off grid place with another modern house nearby. But I joke with my wife about how nice it'll be not to be distracted by our phones and go to bed with the sun once we remove all the indoor plumbing and electricity.

And yes I would run it on ENIAC if I could build all the parts by hand.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

a dingus posted:

This makes me question bigger goals, like owning an 18th century house.

Two of my friends own houses built in the late 1700s and although they are awesome houses in a lot of ways, the old house maintenance problems they deal with constantly are awful. Like "oh the floor in one of the rooms started buckling inward overnight and now there's a mystery vortex in the middle of the floor and you probably shouldn't go in that room because the floor might collapse? idk. also i'd avoid the room directly underneath that room for obvious reasons"

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Like "oh the floor in one of the rooms started buckling inward overnight and now there's a mystery vortex in the middle of the floor and you probably shouldn't go in that room because the floor might collapse? idk. also i'd avoid the room directly underneath that room for obvious reasons"

Same here, but with a house built in 1940s. The last update was a flip just before we bought it (cheap-o furnace, basic-level Home Depot kitchen), but I don't count that as an "upgrade". More of the opposite. The last real upgrade happened maybe 30-40 years ago now, and it shows. There's no amount of charm that can make up for the single-pane lead windows, or stairs that sound like a hazard. They look beautiful, tho.

e: oh, and cloth wrapped wiring. that poo poo gives me nightmares.

e2: about 20 years ago my wife lived in a rented apartment and had a unit above her collapse on her bed. The only reason she's still alive is because she spent the night somewhere else when it happened. So, that poo poo's real.

gbut fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

The tax laws are designed to give breaks to people who can afford to pay accountants to navigate them professionally. Yes, there are also some nerds who take it on themselves to learn it themselves. If the education was better it would defeat the point and they’d make it even more complicated.

My guess is that if more people understood their taxes, they'd be more incentivized to vote for a flat tax rate, which eliminates most personal income credits etc, speaking of which

Xarn posted:

I expect 2000 words on tax code in czech republic by 8 am tomorrow, get cracking so we aren't hosed. :rolleyes:

The Czech republic has a 15% flat tax rate, and 0% tax rate on pension contributions