Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

I gave them the most sincere "lol no" I could come up with.

I knew this would happen and I am NOT letting them rope me back in; no way, no how, uh uh.

Good, the pressure will build but you have to die on this hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

larchesdanrew posted:

So I relinquished control of helpdesk two weeks ago.

Two of our three techs have already put in two week's notices, and everyone is just assuming I'm going to jump right in and solo helpdesk again on top of all of my new responsibilities while they scramble.

I gave them the most sincere "lol no" I could come up with.

I knew this would happen and I am NOT letting them rope me back in; no way, no how, uh uh.

Lmao. No one could have seen this coming, least of all you when you predicted it a while ago. Is it just bad timing that 2/3 techs are quitting, or were you actually holding everything together?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Happiness Commando posted:

Lmao. No one could have seen this coming, least of all you when you predicted it a while ago. Is it just bad timing that 2/3 techs are quitting, or were you actually holding everything together?

what does your heart tell you?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I just want more stories :protarget:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I've spent the entire day doing nothing but removing Adobe programs and installing newer versions, why this can't be automated is beyond me but I guess it's an army thing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hotel Kpro posted:

why this can't be automated is beyond me

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A silly flood of tickets came in.

We have a lot of staff who dont need emails to do their jobs so we have a script that automatically downgrades you from an E3 to E1 license after 3 months if you have literally never logged into your emails. It hits quite a lot of people and we get a lot of calls when 'something' happens from people saying "outlook says its unlicensed' - Just use the the web app - problem solved, easy peasy.

On this occasion, the 'something' that happened was the rostering dept sending out a spreadsheet for people to request their shifts over christmas, so all the people that never read their email suddenly need to do this - lots of calls directing people to the web app, not the end of the world.

The reason our rostering dudes use a spreadsheet is they claim the companies time and attendance system does not meet their needs and manually doing everything in spreadsheets is better. It's been a political hot potato for about 5 years.

I've now found out that people on the webapp are sending back onedrive links instead of attachments and the rostering guys dont like it, so they are just deleting everyones christmas shift requests and sending them back to IT because their computers are clearly broken.

When I went to the rostering dept and said can you not open those attachments they attempted to and everything was fine. Except the entire body of staff being worried and pissed about their xmas shifts. Oops.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you mean E3 to E1? That would kill people's desktop apps.

Edit: Ah right, you mean people who never use email so don't need Outlook, but you keep an email address. Would a frontline license be better for them?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
In the final two weeks of $currentJob and am struggling really hard to not turn on the "I don't give a poo poo" switch on some of these tickets. Add on the stress of trying to coordinate a move and its a struggle.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you've given notice, absolutely turn on that don't give a gently caress. Especially if you've got personal stuff going on. Once you put in your notice, that's a them problem.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

If you've given notice, absolutely turn on that don't give a gently caress. Especially if you've got personal stuff going on. Once you put in your notice, that's a them problem.

It's always amazed me that companies think that the last 2 weeks of someone's employment, they should just keep working as normal. Chances are that person has a ton of knowledge in their head that hasn't been documented; you should be using this last opportunity to milk as much of it out as possible. Get them off the phone/tickets and either writing or even just training other people.

Unreal.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 9, 2021

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Not working in IT, but here is a little secret: Even without having put in your notice - so much stuff is a them problem, not a you problem. Exaggerated, of course, but contains a kernel of truth...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Loki Kunti posted:

Not working in IT, but here is a little secret: Even without having put in your notice - so much stuff is a them problem, not a you problem. Exaggerated, of course, but contains a kernel of truth...

My biggest beef on this is staffing. gently caress no I'm not killing myself because management won't hire enough people, or pay us enough. I'm gonna do as much work as I have capability to do without burning myself out, and if we fall behind we have an argument for more heads. I just wish I could get my coworkers to do more than pay lipservice

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

My biggest beef on this is staffing. gently caress no I'm not killing myself because management won't hire enough people, or pay us enough. I'm gonna do as much work as I have capability to do without burning myself out, and if we fall behind we have an argument for more heads. I just wish I could get my coworkers to do more than pay lipservice

Yeah, this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This thread dropping some wisdom today.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My biggest pet peeve at my job is the one dude in IT who answers emails at any hour of the night so people now expect it. Dude you're ruining for all of us. If the company wants on call, they can pay us for on call.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Write a GPO that gives him 30 minutes grace outside of the daily hours and then locks his AD account.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

My biggest pet peeve at my job is the one dude in IT who answers emails at any hour of the night so people now expect it. Dude you're ruining for all of us. If the company wants on call, they can pay us for on call.

A few of my coworkers keep coming in off shift to do maintenances that they could just hand to those of us on shift, and its just... Please. Stop. If your poo poo is so complex only you can handle it then we need to re-evaluate that environment and ita documentation.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Arquinsiel posted:

Write a GPO that gives him 30 minutes grace outside of the daily hours and then locks his AD account.

auto delay send for 9am the next business day would be good too

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Hotel Kpro posted:

I've spent the entire day doing nothing but removing Adobe programs and installing newer versions, why this can't be automated is beyond me but I guess it's an army thing

I remember having to remove some Adobe programs off an older computer and finding out that I had to be logged into Creative Cloud to do so. :bang:

I found some hidden CLI program from Adobe that allowed me to batch uninstall their programs and bypass Creative Cloud but that's an unreasonable amount of effort to just get rid of them.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 9, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MSP enabled Folder Redirection to One Drive the other day...

The other day all my files on my C drive in "MyDocuments" were deleted right as I watched them delete themselves from my C drive MyDocuments. IT claimed a wrong button was set by someone and all my files were erased from my C drive and put on ONEDRIVE. So they tried to fix it and put them back. Now I have three versions of somewhat the same thing although I noticed that the "MyDocuments" ICON is now "Documents" and it has a lot of old stuff I deleted earlier since we were asked to get rid of old stuff. Now it seems everything is feeding off of one-drive and not saving to where I think I'm saving. It is a royal mess here now !!!!! I do not know where stuff is coming or going. I noticed one file has everything gone, but the folders still exist. I'm concerned about my Outlook PST files getting lost or misplaced now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

OneDrive known folders is cool and good, but that’s definitely what happens if you turn it on with no communication.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

OneDrive known folders is cool and good, but that’s definitely what happens if you turn it on with no communication.

Oh my boss totally sent this out an hour after we turned it on

All

The IT team will be setting up an automated data backup process for the C:drive of each _____ computer user. Any data stored on your computer’s my documents or desktop will be automatically backed up to your OneDrive account on O365 in the cloud. This process is being implemented to secure any data stored on your computer in event of a hard drive crash. You are being contacted due to the higher volume of data detected on your hard drive. If you have any personal information on your computer hard drive that you do not want saved to the O365 GCC High OneDrive account, please remove this information from your hard drive.

Please note that the best location to store company information is always on your personal Q:drive, which is backed up nightly.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Fragrag posted:

I found some hidden CLI program from Adobe that allowed me to batch uninstall their programs and bypass Creative Cloud but that's an unreasonable amount of effort to just get rid of them.

Patching Adobe products is a loving nightmare.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Patching Adobe products is a loving nightmare.

deploying adobe products is also a nightmare.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

wargames posted:

adobe is a nightmare.

FTFY

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A Dobe, the Machine God of Jank.

Jayva, the Machine God of Confusion.

Meek-Ro-Sawft, the Machine God of Greed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GreenNight posted:

the guy who does this in my company is now being moved to a different role and he's like "we'll need to work out who's going to do out of hours support" and i'm like, stop looking at me because i'm not paid to fix people's printing errors on a sunday afternoon so i won't be even if you schedule it.

Fragrag posted:

I remember having to remove some Adobe programs off an older computer and finding out that I had to be logged into Creative Cloud to do so. :bang:

poo poo, can you share that?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you mean E3 to E1? That would kill people's desktop apps.

Edit: Ah right, you mean people who never use email so don't need Outlook, but you keep an email address. Would a frontline license be better for them?

Correct - my understanding is our segment of the business was ding'd for being unusual in that we just gave everyone an e3 license by default so our costs spiked way beyond anyone else in the business who typically give out E1's to light touch users or whatever.

My boss decided to automate a downgrade as he assumed a large number of people dont use their apps, which is ~mostly true~

I will ask about the F1 though, I mean, I know nothing about licensing apart from what I just googled on the back of your suggestion and it seems to make sense - we are a global company and I just work on the assumption someone more knowledgeable than me has checked this but worst case scenario is I will learn what that rationale is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ghostlight posted:

the guy who does this in my company is now being moved to a different role and he's like "we'll need to work out who's going to do out of hours support" and i'm like, stop looking at me because i'm not paid to fix people's printing errors on a sunday afternoon so i won't be even if you schedule it.
"Well the way I see it it's already not your job so you can keep doing it".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

A Dobe, the Machine God of Jank.

Jayva, the Machine God of Confusion.

Meek-Ro-Sawft, the Machine God of Greed.

The Elder Software III: Tech Tribunal

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

orange juche posted:

The Elder Software III: Tech Tribunal

Fight to save the kingdom from the Mad Daedra, Mahk-Aw-Fie, and his daemonic Endpoint Security.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arquinsiel posted:

"Well the way I see it it's already not your job so you can keep doing it".
oh i like that one

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Ghostlight posted:

poo poo, can you share that?

Here you go

https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-for-enterprise-users.html

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Protip, if you decide to go passwordless with azure and decide to go with yubi, remember that ykman enumerates fido identities in reverse order. I wasted a week thinking why hybrid fido didn't work when windows picked the admin identity(that cannot use fido2 since it's kerberos delegation and protected groups like domain admin cannot do ticket delegation) instead of the standard user. Windows picking only the last recorded identity is a pain in the rear end on its own and ykman adding confusion doesn't help

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Alleged peer complained his new VM guest didn't have network connectivity and asked whether it was a VLAN problem. He had selected a default router address that wasn't in the subnet he chose. I pointed out the mistake. He said, "but that's the address of the router." Three decades in IT, fellows. Three decades and it's come to this.

There is one thing and only one thing that keeps me from despising this guy and campaigning to have him fired: two or three times a year, when we're planning a project, he comes up with something that is legitimately better than anyone else in the room's idea. I will put up with a lot for that, but that doesn't mean I won't complain about it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/11/apple-introduces-apple-business-essentials/

Whoa apple is really serious about revenue they are finally selling services to manage their own hardware (for small biz tho). If you got a MDM this isn't for you.

storage + multiple devices + lifecycle for 7 bucks a month.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like the spiritual replacement for whatever that business package you could buy that gave you priority AppleCare

E: Joint Venture

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
How many years since Blackberry had a loving MDM suite, and Apple is just now acknowledging their fun times Candy Crush and DMs device is used for business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Joke's on them, we're finally moving all of our devices (3000+) from iOS to Android because of how much of a PITA it is to deploy and maintain iPhones