Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've seen some loose AM5 schematic about how devices are wired up. 16 PCIe lanes come from the CPU, eight go directly to a PCIe 16x, the other eight go through a "mux", which distributes eight to the first slot and eight to the second. But this isn't really a mux, right? Just a switch, so it's 16x or 8x/8x, but not load balanced on demand (say the device in the second slot idling, raising the first slot with the GPU to 16x intermittently)?

No it would be determined on boot using presence detect if there is a device in the second slot it would fix the first slot to x8 and the second slot would get x8. Changing pcie width on the fly is not something that most OSes would tolerate well (requires a link retrain and possibly re-enumeration).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've seen some loose AM5 schematic about how devices are wired up. 16 PCIe lanes come from the CPU, eight go directly to a PCIe 16x, the other eight go through a "mux", which distributes eight to the first slot and eight to the second. But this isn't really a mux, right? Just a switch, so it's 16x or 8x/8x, but not load balanced on demand (say the device in the second slot idling, raising the first slot with the GPU to 16x intermittently)?

AFAIK in pcie-land a "mux" is a simple chip -- it's multiplexing the 2 8x links together when operating in 16x single-GPU mode. Possibly also some of the PCIe bifrucation that's supported directly by the CPU on threadripper & Intel HEDT CPUs is the same type of circuit.

And a "switch" is a much more expensive and complex chip that does do load balancing, the same way that the chipset chip can share the full bandwidth of its link to the CPU among many devices.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A (packet) switch will also show up in the pcie topology as well (device manager in windows or lspci in linux) with an upstream port and a few downstream ports that have devices attached. They’re not cheap ICs either so would only be on very expensive motherboards.

The slot setup on that is definitely just a chip called a pcie signal switch (as opposed to the more complex packet switch) and hooks up like this:

From an app note by pericom here: https://www.diodes.com/assets/App-Note-Files/AN084-P.pdf

Good breakdown on why it’s required (must be point to point connections with low signal loss, etc)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

A (packet) switch will also show up in the pcie topology as well (device manager in windows or lspci in linux) with an upstream port and a few downstream ports that have devices attached. They’re not cheap ICs either so would only be on very expensive motherboards.

The slot setup on that is definitely just a chip called a pcie signal switch (as opposed to the more complex packet switch) and hooks up like this:

From an app note by pericom here: https://www.diodes.com/assets/App-Note-Files/AN084-P.pdf

Good breakdown on why it’s required (must be point to point connections with low signal loss, etc)

Yeah -- those are common to support bifurcation / muxing between different slot configuration. Are PCIe switches actually that common still, with more and more lanes getting available from processors? I could see them becoming useful for some insane bandwidth bridging applications, but at that point I think you'll hit other limits. Just how many SAS3008s can you put behind a PCIe 4.0 x16 link and not be bottlenecked by that uplink???

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Yeah -- those are common to support bifurcation / muxing between different slot configuration. Are PCIe switches actually that common still, with more and more lanes getting available from processors? I could see them becoming useful for some insane bandwidth bridging applications, but at that point I think you'll hit other limits. Just how many SAS3008s can you put behind a PCIe 4.0 x16 link and not be bottlenecked by that uplink???

Yeah pcie switches are fairly niche but when system makers need them they are very handy. A lot of AI/ML stuff to scale out huge numbers of GPUs, and NVMe is hopefully going to overtake SAS at some point as various manufacturers are dancing around making spinning disks with nvme controllers connected by x2 pcie links as system designers want to get rid of SAS if possible. Switches will be pretty huge for that along with some specialized host bios changes to flatten the pcie tree addressing more to be able to use all the possible BDF addresses.

Also switches help with host to host non transparent bridging for redundancy/failovers and in the future switches will be cxl compatible too for massive amounts of coherent memory spread around a rack.

It’s interesting because as the hosts add more lanes it seems it is just more opportunities to hang more switches off it with more endpoints as usually the bottleneck isn’t the host but the number of endpoints it can handle. By making the lanes wide it can lead to a similar number of switches used but the latency is better because instead of having to go several switches deep it can just be each x16 of the 128 lanes going to a switch for fanout instead of a few layers required by the less lane ones like the 40 lane xeons. The reduced latency is huge for the AI/ML applications too. They do the majority of their traffic in small packet bursts (32 or 64 byte packets) to the cpu.

Definitely a neat space although not really consumer focused.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So Zen 4 is rumored to have 28 lanes, which still isn't enough to waste on giving 2 GPU slots a dedicated 16x+8x combo. So consumer mobos will still have the 16/8+8 and a multiplexer chip.

I dunno how they'll arrange them -- if they're gonna continue using a repurposed Zen IO die as the chipset, I could see putting an 8x link to the chipset being a good idea because that chip should be powerful enough to divvy up bandwidth. Means you could see some really stacked high-end boards that would go up against intel HEDT stuff pretty well. But the simplest idea would be 16x GPU, 2 dedicated 4x NVMe slots, and 4x to the chipset.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In the end i guess multi GPU is dead so really anything beyond the current 24 lanes on Zen 3 is sort of gravy anyway for 99% of desktop users.

Tbh I think the bigger question is whether AMD is gonna go for feature parity with intel and offer PCIe 5.0 to the GPU... not that it really matters for like, years from now.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, multi-GPU is done, I think now it's about 16 lanes for grapics and then as many x4 links as possible for storage

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Anandtech/Dr Curtis have just posted an interview with one of the Zen architects. There's a bunch of interesting stuff in there.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17031/anandtech-interviews-mike-clark-amds-chief-architect-of-zen

He confirms that some future zen design will be going wider on the decode width, with Zen 1-3 all being 4-wide.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 26, 2021

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Pablo Bluth posted:

Anandtech/Dr Curtis have just played an interview with one of the Zen architects. There's a bunch of interesting stuff in there.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17031/anandtech-interviews-mike-clark-amds-chief-architect-of-zen

He confirms that some future zen design will be going wider on the decode width, with Zen 1-3 all being 4-wide.

That was a great read. The stuff about Zen 5 at the end was a really effective tease.

It'll be interesting to see what the landscape looks like H2 of next year, with Zen 4 vs whatever Intel has available then. I feel like chances are really good that I'll be going Zen 4, but since it's gonna be a mobo change no matter what I'm more willing than usual to evaluate Intel. Right now though they're still burning as much power as possible to get that single-core lead back, which I do not find compelling.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm finally watching the interview and they touched briefly on the canned K12 design, the ARM CPU. It was intended as a sister product to Zen.

Maybe one day we'll see an ARM design come through.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
V-Cache always going to be a thing going forward with the upcoming Zen3 variant, or is that just some extraordinary release?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Combat Pretzel posted:

V-Cache always going to be a thing going forward with the upcoming Zen3 variant, or is that just some extraordinary release?

It's a big deal, it's their last major line before they bring out zen4 (which presumably also has 3d v-cache) late next year. There were rumors of XT versions but they are strongly implied to have been cancelled altogether in favor of focusing on the 3d v-cache CPUs. There's also b-revision CPUs but those are simply a change in internal manufacturing process with no difference in performance, and nothing more. If you ordered a CPU recently it might even be one of them when it arrives.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 29, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Combat Pretzel posted:

Whether its a "V-cache" specifically or something else, AMD (and basically the entire industry) has reiterated that their future is some amalgamation of 2.5D / 3D packaging and/or stacking technologies. It's gonna get weird.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dr. Cutress seems to imply that v-cache actually being cache is a smokescreen and that the main benefit of chip stacking here is for topology benefits. He made a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8teWvMXK99I

Ring bus is dead, long live ring bus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a big deal, it's their last major line before they bring out zen4 (which presumably also has 3d v-cache) late next year.
That's what I'm wondering about. V-Cache seems really only to be mentioned in the same breath as the upcoming Zen3 in Q1/22, but regarding Zen4, nothing. You'd think, if this is the new hot thing, that they keep harping on it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's been confirmed by the vendors that Zen5 is 3D stacked with compute cores (and so power dense that they basically forces datacenter to go to at least in door water cooling), so maybe its more like it only being cache is the differentiator for Milan-X and the V-Cache consumer parts? Just guessing here.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's what I'm wondering about. V-Cache seems really only to be mentioned in the same breath as the upcoming Zen3 in Q1/22, but regarding Zen4, nothing. You'd think, if this is the new hot thing, that they keep harping on it.
Zen3's 3dstack is the "what can we do on the cheap with this tech we've developed for zen4/zen5 using a process with open capacity" and the answer is bolt an even bigger L3 onto zen3 on top of the existing l3. At least, that's how their marketing made it seem so far.

I don't think we know what zen4's big change(s) are. Baseless speculation ahead, it's likely 3d stacking L3 & a wider instruction cache & whatever other ipc squeezing tricks they can pull off with the extra space from the node shrink & potentially reducing L3 footprint. AMD prioritizes not having a gigantic die for their CPUs & maintaining a power efficiency advantage -- 3d stacking L3 will give them significant headroom in both of those departments with no cost to frequency or ipc.

Zen5 seems like it is going to be absolutely disgusting if they really do go with a sandwich design. It's going to be like zen1 all over again.

Where all the Intel leaks :( They have to be up to something cool too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 30, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Disgusting in a good way or bad way

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ijyt posted:

Disgusting in a good way or bad way
The good way. If they really do go with the cache layer / cpu layer / interposer layer design then zen5/zen6/zen7 can blow through the limits of zen3 and earlier. Latency between CCX will be negligible for the first 4+ ccx, a ccx could consist of 16+ cores, etcetc. In practice, they'll probably stick with an 8c ccx and reap the benefits of the low cross ccx latency. Then ramp up core count in later iterations, because these are designed on a finite time budget and thermals should be a massive issue even with the patents AMD has for managing them with stacked designs.

I can't seem to find the patent from many years ago where they had a concept of placing passive thermal transport through-die, but they also have a patent for stacking multiple layers of cache + multiple layers of logic with power between and then using gates in the layers as peltier devices to control the flow of heat between layers based on which is running cooler or hotter.

The first is a caveman approach that may or may not work well & presents its own engineering challenges. The latter is quite clever and broadly applicable. Although it does consume some power and generate some heat itself so its practicality is unknown. If practical, it will be really good with big-little designs, apu designs where the apu is not being used, or designs that have deliberate thermal headroom in certain layers/areas. Imagine the older intel CPUs that had built-in igpus, the cores near it would always run significantly cooler than the cores farther away. And that's with no active heat transfer.

The other interesting thing is both approaches would work well together, but I suspect that they will not use both because one method is likely a dud or too much engineering effort.

also I don't work in anything related to this so I might have gotten everything wrong :shrug:

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 31, 2021

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1454778534929461249

Looks like there are still a few bugs when using Windows 11 with Ryzen.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A reformat fixes it, it seems windows still treats the CPU as the previous one in some ways, and there isn't really a way to 'uninstall' a CPU in the same way you can use DDU for GPU software as far as I can see.

That is going to be a colossal pain for benchmarkers though.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A reformat fixes it, it seems windows still treats the CPU as the previous one in some ways, and there isn't really a way to 'uninstall' a CPU in the same way you can use DDU for GPU software as far as I can see.

doubt this actually does anything though (but i did just do it 16 times)

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Malloc Voidstar posted:

doubt this actually does anything though (but i did just do it 16 times)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I always found that to be one of the more horrifying bits of Adventure Time. <shudder>

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
do we know if PS4's are still being produced? intuitively I would assume no, but given how so many games are still cross-generation due to limits on how fast PS5s can be manufactured and distributed, and as I imagine some people are still going to buy a [presumably cheap] PS4 just to have something to game on, I wonder if the calculus on this has changed

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

do we know if PS4's are still being produced? intuitively I would assume no, but given how so many games are still cross-generation due to limits on how fast PS5s can be manufactured and distributed, and as I imagine some people are still going to buy a [presumably cheap] PS4 just to have something to game on, I wonder if the calculus on this has changed

In some markets it is. It'll probably be completely phased out of production by the end of the year.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Sony said they'd support the PS4 for three years. It was over three years between the launch of the PS4 and the PS3 being discontinued.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
To that end:

"gamesindustry.biz posted:

The presentation wasn't all about PS5, with Sony also detailing its plans to make sure PS4 has its 'strongest ever tail'.

The firm said that in its next financial year, it still expects PS4 to represent 70% of its PlayStation Store revenue (vs 95% in FY2020). A big part of that will be in terms of free-to-play games. In its 2016 financial year, 5% of its PlayStation Store revenue came from free-to-play titles, while in FY2020 that now sits at over 25%, driven by the launch of Fortnite, Call of Duty: Warzone, Apex Legends, Rocket League and Genshin Impact.

Sony reminds us that 48 million people are subscribed to PlayStation Plus (the vast majority on PS4). 40% of people who subscribe are doing so for online multiplayer, 30% to receive monthly free games, 18% for game discounts and offers and 12% for cloud storage of game saves.

Between that, the benefits of having a continuous x86 architecture path between generations, and the news that they have already sold 13.4 million PS5s worldwide, and you STILL can't seem to get one without fighting off scalpers, I could see the argument that Sony might have wanted to stretch the tail out longer, to compensate for chip shortage things and demand outstripping production, but that they were, in the end, being forced to put that end date due to partner demand to not have to keep accomodating the PS4 in perpetuity.

In short: The calculus was probably at break-even when the PS5 launched at the end of last year, but tilts ever-more-rapidly in the PS5's favor as time goes on, despite Sony's attempts to keep it from going off a cliff.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MLID, so take it with a large grain of salt:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wasn't this guy wrong on his Very High Confidence predictions more than once? Like, shooting at 90 degrees off the target, wrong? Like, not even the right ballpark numbers/features, wrong?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Zen4D makes sense because there was another leak about zen5 apus having zen4 little cores. Which made no sense at the time but makes a lot of sense with how zen4d's design is described here.

I wouldn't put much weight on speculating about memory channels. It would be really nice if consumers started getting 4 memory channels & more pcie lanes & full ecc support. I don't think we'll see it happen soon, although amd's embedded offerings support ecc so they clearly aren't too committed to gating it...

Zen5 being more exciting is kinda known too, although there's a chance zen5 isn't more exciting.

I put 0 weight on some of the things he speculated on in the video, like a 1024 core zen5d epyc coming out. I'd love to be wrong, because if that happens that means zen5 or zen6 non-d is going to be an insane desktop cpu.

Apple entering the server market is pretty interesting.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 4, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

karoshi posted:

Wasn't this guy wrong on his Very High Confidence predictions more than once? Like, shooting at 90 degrees off the target, wrong? Like, not even the right ballpark numbers/features, wrong?

Yeah that's this guy.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Khorne posted:

I wouldn't put much weight on speculating about memory channels. It would be really nice if consumers started getting 4 memory channels & more pcie lanes & full ecc support.

bear in mind DDR5 goes to half-width but twice as many channels per DIMM... so "12-channel" is a 6-stick configuration. Consumers getting 4 channels next year is literally completely entirely confirmed since that's a normal 2-stick configuration.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Khorne posted:

I wouldn't put much weight on speculating about memory channels. It would be really nice if consumers started getting 4 memory channels & more pcie lanes & full ecc support. I don't think we'll see it happen soon, although amd's embedded offerings support ecc so they clearly aren't too committed to gating it...
Regarding ECC, the AMD CPUs all support it. It's just a matter of the mainboard, i.e. the traces for it, and its BIOS enabling it when it sees ECC DIMMs.

That said, I sure hope there's gonna be fast DDR5 ECC rather sooner than later. It took its sweet time for there to be official DDR4-3200 ECC modules.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 5, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well the price cuts are finally, finally starting! 5800X is down to $300 at Microcenter, making it just $20 more than the 5600X. For once, the 5800X makes a lot more sense than the 5600X… until those prices get cut too.

10700K and 11700K also got big cuts, to $250 and $300 respectively.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

AMD just announced:
  • Milan-X EPYC chips, with 768MB of L3 cache
  • Next year EPYC Genoa arrives on TSMC 5nm, with 96 Zen4 cores, DDR5, PCIe5, and 1.25X performance uplift
  • In 2023 EPYC Bergamo lands, a density-optimized variant of Genoa with 128 'Zen4c' cores
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-unveils-zen-4-cpu-roadmap-96-core-5nm-genoa-128-core-begamo

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm really curious to see what this means for the Zen4 Ryzen lineups, since a 96 core Genoa pretty much confirms a new 12 core CCX.

Lots of interesting combinations in there, and it also sounds like the Zen4c cores might be able to be used for a big.LITTLE setup as well.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Number19 posted:

sounds like the Zen4c cores might be able to be used for a big.LITTLE setup as well.

No, Zen4c is identical to Zen4 in terms of capabilities, but is space-optimized to be physically smaller (at the cost of clockspeed and power efficiency, anandtech guesses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

mdxi posted:

No, Zen4c is identical to Zen4 in terms of capabilities, but is space-optimized to be physically smaller (at the cost of clockspeed and power efficiency, anandtech guesses).
Do you mean at the expense of power effeciency? I thought the idea behind this type of chip was to trade peak IPC/freq and the power that drinks, for a design that uses the power efficiency to pack in a large eough number of cores to increase the total throughput of the chip?