Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

we need more supplllyyyyyyyghdb

https://twitter.com/francesdonald/status/1455857664479617024?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

I'm not entirely clear on what 'residential investment' means, but I'm assuming this is saying that 10% of our GDP is stuck in residential real estate.

Very cool and good,.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The median Canadian earns about $1.8M in real dollars through their life, about $1.2M during working age. So 66% of Canadians are homeowners but it takes 80% of a lifetime working income to buy one, and that's before things like eating or kids. The average Canadian spends about 105% of their income.

I'd think we're heading into straight feudalism if landlords weren't so eager to accept negative cashflow. Maybe paying rent in corn and corvee labour will be the next big thing.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1455941282296041474?s=20

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1455943097481719810?s=20

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

LMAO, ya’ll need to reduce your GDP by 3-5% to get housing back to historical normal. Am I reading that right?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

MickeyFinn posted:

LMAO, ya’ll need to reduce your GDP by 3-5% to get housing back to historical normal. Am I reading that right?

SOMETHING SOMETHING INTEREST RATES gently caress MMT BITCOINZZZZZ.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

MickeyFinn posted:

If you had a way of laser targeting just the 3-5% of it that is housing, it probably remains status quo. The get back to historical norms without magic...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We can just double the rest of the components of our GDP. Easy peasy.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think we've talked about the FHSA itt

quote:

In practical terms this means an employed 30-year-old earning $80,000 could get a loan from the Bank of Mom for $40,000, invest it in her FHSA and (because all contributions are deductible) receive a refund of about $12,000. She could dump that in her TFSA and hold growth ETFs. Ten years later the $52,000 has become $104,000 and she buys a house using it as a downpayment. So forty grand turns into a hundred thousand with no tax payable, plus there was an outright gift of $12,000 from taxpayers. If she has dumped the $12,000 into her RRSP the gift would be even larger, and the withdrawal still tax-free under the RSP Home Buyer’s Plan.

So the FHSA is an age-specific tax shelter offering tax-deductible contributions, free money from the government, taxless growth and non-taxed withdrawals to buy a house that can appreciate and provide untaxed capital gains. In addition, refunds for contributions can be reinvested in another tax shelter for a second refund on the same money.

This will certainly make real estate more affordable!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The key question is whether contributions count against existing RRSP room. I have a feeling that the Canadian government is stupid enough to guarantee that it doesn’t.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Hadn't even heard of this proposal. While perusing an article about it I came across this snippet

bloomberg posted:

How the FHSA is like a TFSA

One thing Canadians do not like about RRSPs is the cold, hard fact that all those contributions and any gains they generate tax-free over time are fully taxed when they are withdrawn.

TFSA withdrawals (contributions and gains), on the other hand, are never taxed.

The big drawback for TFSAs is the inability to deduct contributions from income like an RRSP, but FHSAs would allow both.

This annoys the poo poo out of me. Let's pretend that your tax rate is the same on deposit and withdrawal for your RRSP. If you re-invest the tax refund generated by the RRSP deduction (or change your withholding so it isn't taxed in the first place) then the end result of money that you get out of your RRSP is identical to what you would get out of your TFSA. Yes yes, there are some considerations for income-based clawbacks of OAS and so on, but the taxation on withdrawal is not some onerous thing to dislike about the RRSP.
The 2 accounts are extraordinarily similar and the decision on which one to use first is some fairly fiddly guessing about tax rates on both ends, besides the general "TFSA first when income is low, RRSP first when income is high".
The main benefit of both is the completely tax free investment growth, i.e. they are tax shelters.

"TFSA withdrawals (contributions and gains), on the other hand, are never taxed." is a true but misleading statement to make. They aren't taxed because the money that you contributed was already taxed so there's less money in the first place that can go into the account to grow. If "Canadians do not like" that RRSP withdrawals are taxed then they should equally not like that the money put into a TFSA has already been taxed. There are considerations between the accounts but this tax thing is such a red herring.

Every time I read about this 'battle' between the 2 accounts the descriptions are technically correct (most of the time) but almost always misleading.

And yes, I suspect they may not count it against RRSP room. But they do have some options there.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

poo poo like the FHSA and TFSA are exactly why the problem about housing affordability is really about extreme wealth inequality and all the :words: about creating housing supply don't address the fundamental problem that is Canadians are being brainwashed into thinking they're just one foot on the housing ladder away from being middle class. Life won't improve because you can now be approved for a massive mortgage at a teaser interest rate. Unless you're born rich or you have parents that became house-rich enough to endow you money to buy or borrow for a home, you will continue to live precariously. You will continue to be forced to make compromises on your quality of life because our governments are continuously biased to making policies that are beneficial to capital's share of income in Canada's economy. In other words, if you have to work for a living, you will continue to be hosed by people with lots of money lying around because it's easier for politicians to sell you policies that move those piles of money into investment vehicles that make bigger piles of money through capital appreciation.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I thought it was clarified that it does count against RRSP room

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

No mentions of the proposed 'cooling off period' yet

https://www.timescolonist.com/bc-news/bc-to-introduce-cooling-off-period-legislation-for-real-estate-4725100

You'll never guess whose already come out against it!

quote:

Darlene Hyde, the chief executive officer of the B.C. Real Estate Association, said the decision to introduce legislation without consulting stakeholders first was "premature."

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lol that thinking only real estate agents are stakeholders.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

leftist heap posted:

I thought it was clarified that it does count against RRSP room

I don’t believe that was ever clarified. I was under the impression that it was a dumb not very well thought out liberal policy to try and get elected.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Sounds weird. There are often chains of clauses where someone's home purchase is contingent on them selling their own home. So someone could just change their mind and torpedo multiple sales?

I guess we need a lot more details first, maybe you can only back out really early in the process.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Alctel posted:

No mentions of the proposed 'cooling off period' yet

https://www.timescolonist.com/bc-news/bc-to-introduce-cooling-off-period-legislation-for-real-estate-4725100

You'll never guess whose already come out against it!

quote:

Robinson admitted the measure would help protect buyers, but not necessarily help with housing affordability.

Cool. "We are thinking about extending token protection to prospective members of the ownership class." Followed by "Who? Why is that renter talking to you instead of working to enter the housing market?"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I love this line: "While blind bidding is a long-standing practice used throughout Canada, we do want to explore whether or not there are ways to enhance transparency in the transaction process"

Nothing more Canadian than blind biding! No way we can possibly just ban that, sorry. It's our heritage.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

All the things that everybody needs to have to make an informed purchase, likes home inspection, just make those things mandatory and published before it can be listed on the MLS. Not gonna be getting teary eyed over blind bidding being banned, but it’s really just a band aid over actual systemic problems with how houses are advertised.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

I don’t believe that was ever clarified. I was under the impression that it was a dumb not very well thought out liberal policy to try and get elected.

That describes all liberal policy though

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

quote:

We are heading into the most challenging period to own a home since the interest rate surge of the early 1980s
Rob CarrickPersonal Finance Columnist
5-6 minutes

Topping today’s fiction bestseller list is a story of how rising interest rates are no big deal for homeowners.

The plot goes like this: As much as rates rise from current levels, they’ll still be close to what many people paid if they bought homes or renewed mortgages before the pandemic. In any case, these homeowners have passed a stress test that probes their ability to afford higher interest rates than at the time of purchase. There’s no suspense if rates rise because lenders have already ensured they have enough income. Otherwise, they didn’t get a mortgage.

Unfortunately, there are some holes in this plot. The real story is that we could be headed into the most challenging time to have a mortgage since the interest rate surge of the 1980s.

Six things a brutally honest banker would tell you about mortgages, HELOCs and market-linked GICs

Why variable-rate mortgages rule in the pandemic housing market – and maybe afterward, too

In a report to be issued Thursday, CIBC Economics offers some context on rate hikes. Variable-rate mortgage payments don’t generally change as rates rise – instead, the amount of payments directed toward principal as opposed to interest falls. With fixed rate mortgages, only about 20 per cent renew in any one year. Over all, about $350-billion in mortgages will be affected by changing rates in 2022.

The report says people who renew mortgages between 2022 through 2024 have a kind of “immunity” that comes from the fact that the mortgage rates they got a few years ago are above current levels. The increase in rates to come may leave those renewing with mortgages that are only a little more expensive than they now pay.

“But without a booster (lower rates in 2025/2026), that immunity will fade for borrowers that entered into mortgages during the pandemic,” CIBC deputy chief economist Benjamin Tal writes. “And given that in the past two years mortgage originations rose by more than 60 per cent relative to their pre-crisis level, that might be a significant shock.”

Homeowners today actually face three waves of adversity, rates being just one of them.

The first wave is the change in spending patterns caused by the gradual return to normal lives and normal spending as we work through the pandemic. People who bought homes in the past 18 months will have to relearn how to factor vacations, entertainment and socializing into their household budgets.

The second wave is rising inflation, which demands more money from you to maintain the status quo. More money to eat the same old food, and drive your SUV the same old distance.

Rising rates, the third wave, are partly a consequence of the inflationary second wave. Rates were always expected to go up as the pandemic eased and the economy firmed. Think of someone with a healing fractured leg no longer needing the support of crutches.

Inflation’s persistence has dialled up the drama associated with rate increases. The phrase “earlier, faster and higher” is being used to describe what some economists see coming for rates in the next 18 to 24 months.

The CIBC report suggests some households will be affected more than others by mortgage rate increases. But even a small increase in costs will be felt. People who buy a home are typically on a financial journey that involves ever-increasing amounts of spending. They have kids, buy vehicles, undertake renovations and develop more sophisticated tastes in even everyday expenses.

On top of this natural rise in spending come the three waves of adversity for homeowners in the pandemic – new spending opportunities in an opening economy, inflation and rising rates. Many households will have to sacrifice, compromise and defer in order to get by, which isn’t unprecedented. Ask boomers about the 1980s and they’ll tell you about just hanging on as they renewed mortgages at rates that peaked at just over 20 per cent.

Surviving rate hikes in the pandemic era will be especially hard for families that own homes and are struggling because of jobs or income lost in economic lockdowns. You get a sense of this precariousness in a recent survey of food bank operators that found the number of visits to their facilities has increased by more than 20 per cent in the past two years.

For a long time, home ownership in Canada has been a non-stop positive feedback loop of low borrowing costs, rising equity and approval from friends, family and society at large. Now, the plot thickens.

I've got some great news for all you guys relying on your housing investment to create wealth. Canada's GDP is so dependent upon real estate that interest rate hikes are likely to cause a recession at a certain point so our Stewards of Middle Class Prosperity will likely do something pretty loving stupid to ensure that density is the only shining path towards housing affordability!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is it somehow better to not own a house during all of that lol

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Good news! Your rent will increase way more than any miniscule mortage rate increase so you can rest easy knowing you are a valuable contributor to your landlord's property empire.*

*ponzi scheme

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1457319894819672064?s=21

Prices in Vancouver and Toronto are justified because of restrictive land use policies u guys. More supply will bring down the cost of housing. See, Singapore has the s

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

qhat posted:

All the things that everybody needs to have to make an informed purchase, likes home inspection, just make those things mandatory and published before it can be listed on the MLS. Not gonna be getting teary eyed over blind bidding being banned, but it’s really just a band aid over actual systemic problems with how houses are advertised.

Is there anywhere that requires the homeowner to attach an inspection report to the listing?
First is that it obviously needs to be regulated so that the homeowner does a legitimate inspection
Second is that the home inspection racket will lose their poo poo since they can't sell the same inspection report to 8 different interested parties.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fidelitious posted:

Is there anywhere that requires the homeowner to attach an inspection report to the listing?
First is that it obviously needs to be regulated so that the homeowner does a legitimate inspection
Second is that the home inspection racket will lose their poo poo since they can't sell the same inspection report to 8 different interested parties.

I don’t know, and yeah I recognize that those are the two main roadblocks that prevent this from being a reality, but not for any good reasons. It’s just another example of how the RE industry has built themselves a model where they maximize profits at the significant expense to average people. Even banning blind bidding might not guarantee that the consumer isn’t exploited, since it becomes an open auction instead where they are encouraged to continually bid up the competition.

qhat fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 7, 2021

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Interest rates don't really matter if you haven't yet bought a house. If you're looking to buy you'll make a bid such that your monthly payments fall in some range. Increasing the interest rate means bidders lower their bids until the monthly payment is in their price range and the lender gets a bigger chunk of the monthly payments.

That's also why focusing on the price alone is kind of stupid. A big interest rate hike and the subsequent fall in prices isn't solving anything unless you've already got enough money lying around that you don't need a big mortgage to buy.

How is this not a supply issue? The vacancy rates in the major cities are really low. Are those numbers wrong?

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

jettisonedstuff posted:

Interest rates don't really matter if you haven't yet bought a house. If you're looking to buy you'll make a bid such that your monthly payments fall in some range. Increasing the interest rate means bidders lower their bids until the monthly payment is in their price range and the lender gets a bigger chunk of the monthly payments.

That's also why focusing on the price alone is kind of stupid. A big interest rate hike and the subsequent fall in prices isn't solving anything unless you've already got enough money lying around that you don't need a big mortgage to buy.

How is this not a supply issue? The vacancy rates in the major cities are really low. Are those numbers wrong?

There is a supply issue that needs addressing. But the government has done so much to provide cover from getting proper data that we are having to guess on a lot of things.
Is it all Chinese money launderers buying and leaving homes empty?
Is it people buying houses that they will air bnb?
Is it large investment firms buying up everything at stupid prices to rent out?

Is it all or none of the above or combination plus other things?
I like a quote I read earlier in the thread, we don't have a shortage of supply as much as an oversupply of investors.

Purgatory Glory fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 7, 2021

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is supply defined as the ratio of residents to units in existence? Or is it defined as the number of units listed for sale at any instant in time? What are the implications of replacing one definition for the other in you thesis?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

jettisonedstuff posted:

Your post assumes that housing isn’t experiencing a speculative bubble. If it is, reducing house prices will hopefully wipe out a sizeable fraction of the speculators and, in so doing, reduce demand.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Purgatory Glory posted:

There is a supply issue that needs addressing. But the government has done so much to provide cover from getting proper data that we are having to guess on a lot of things.
Is it all Chinese money launderers buying and leaving homes empty?
Is it people buying houses that they will air bnb?
Is it large investment firms buying up everything at stupid prices to rent out?

Is it all or none of the above or combination plus other things?
I like a quote I read earlier in the thread, we don't have a shortage of supply as much as an oversupply of investors.

Show me the empty housing and I'll believe you. The rental vacancy rates haven't touched 4% since before 2000.

It is clearly happening because there isn't enough housing in the major cities. We've spent the last 60 years building low density suburbs and now there's no more room for any more within a 2 hour drive of any decent employment opportunities. It's an attractive investment now because everyone knows that for whatever insane reason, nobody in Canada wants any more housing built so they'll just be collecting a larger proportion of everyone's income as rents (unless you can afford to buy) while the housing shortage continues.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I once thought it'd be neat to take a camera to Kits beach at night at the exact same location at the exact same time every day for the entire summer and point it towards the condos downtown and take a photo. Then generate a heat map for all the condos that have literally never had their lights turned on during that time. It could, quite literally, shine a light on property vacancy.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

jettisonedstuff posted:

Show me the empty housing and I'll believe you. The rental vacancy rates haven't touched 4% since before 2000.

It is clearly happening because there isn't enough housing in the major cities. We've spent the last 60 years building low density suburbs and now there's no more room for any more within a 2 hour drive of any decent employment opportunities. It's an attractive investment now because everyone knows that for whatever insane reason, nobody in Canada wants any more housing built so they'll just be collecting a larger proportion of everyone's income as rents (unless you can afford to buy) while the housing shortage continues.

There's also the fact the Ontario blew up last year, hell even Newfoundland was booming and other places in the world. So wtf is going on? Covid payments making people invest? Working from home shifting things? I want to know who's buying.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
We bought a house recently because the landlord we had rented from for 10 years was going to sell and we would likely have been kicked out so the new landlord could double the rent. As it turned out, the new rent for another apartment of similar size was basically the same as the mortgage payments + taxes + maintenance if we paid the going price for a house, so that's what we did.

People with slightly less money than us end up just having their rent increased a lot and are forced to pay or be homeless.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

jettisonedstuff posted:

We bought a house recently because the landlord we had rented from for 10 years was going to sell and we would likely have been kicked out so the new landlord could double the rent. As it turned out, the new rent for another apartment of similar size was basically the same as the mortgage payments + taxes + maintenance if we paid the going price for a house, so that's what we did.

People with slightly less money than us end up just having their rent increased a lot and are forced to pay or be homeless.

This is why it seems like the 'small investors' have to put up ludicrous rents just so they can hang on long enough to sell off to the next rube.
We left Vancouver because our rent was slowly creeping towards $3000 for our 2-bedroom. This was fine for the owners of our unit because they had owned it almost since building construction and had probably reached the point of pure profit (minus maintenance and so forth). Any new buyer in that building was paying well over a million for a similar unit and even a 3k rent wouldn't have covered their expenses.

So they certainly can't compete on price with long-time landlords, the only thing keeping these people alive is the endless year-over-year valuation increases of 10%+. It's just completely impossible to put the rent high enough to make any kind of return on that 'business'. In the end it's pure speculation fuelled by just enough money from exploiting lower-income people to not go bankrupt before you can re-sell.

Providing shelter for people is not even part of the equation.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

So rather than create laws and taxes that diminish speculation and land value the solution is to throw a fresh chord of dry lumber on that forest fire to burn up all that oxygen faster.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

half cocaine posted:

So rather than create laws and taxes that diminish speculation and land value the solution is to throw a fresh chord of dry lumber on that forest fire to burn up all that oxygen faster.

Increasing housing supply is the only pareto-efficient approach that senior levels of government can take without actually doing anything truly helpful (see: a social housing regime), so they can shift all blame to the provinces and to local governments lmfao.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Hubbert posted:

Increasing housing supply is the only pareto-efficient approach that senior levels of government can take without actually doing anything truly helpful (see: a social housing regime), so they can shift all blame to the provinces and to local governments lmfao.

Well it's working. Look at this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

half cocaine posted:

Well it's working. Look at this thread.

I enjoy this thread because of its nuclear hot YIMBY takes. :shobon: