Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i tend to avoid going into convenience stores that don't have bollards in the front because the schadenfreude thread has convinced me every store is just a future parking spot for some old gently caress who mistook the gas pedal for the brake and rocketed their entire sedan through the window at 45 mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

ArmZ posted:

you have to walk around the mall. people don't want to walk. they want to drive right up to their store.

The obvious solution to this is drive-in stores. Undubidedadedly

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dante80 posted:

The obvious solution to this is drive-in stores. Undubidedadedly

the actual solution seems to be the antithesis - stores that drive to you

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

God Hole posted:

i tend to avoid going into convenience stores that don't have bollards in the front because the schadenfreude thread has convinced me every store is just a future parking spot for some old gently caress who mistook the gas pedal for the brake and rocketed their entire sedan through the window at 45 mph

i worry about that too but luckily the one nearest to me is on a pedestrian street and is about 50 yards and a hill away from the nearest parking

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's everywhere with an exit on the interstate you halfwit lol

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Last night I stopped by the worst part of town (the newest shopping development) and realized how popular it is on Saturday nights--parking lot was packed and stores/restaurants/theater full of people--and I don't understand how this has replaced malls. It's the same stores as a mall would have, but there's no interior for walking around and socializing. Just parking and walking directly into the store. Is it mostly that newer developments beat aging malls?

Every iteration of downtown since mainstreet has gotten worse I feel. I'm at the point where I'd be nostalgic for a decent mall funny as that is to say in the car thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

a pedestrian street
the heck is this??

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the actual solution seems to be the antithesis - stores that drive to you

I really dislike impersonal shopping. It's another thing that weakens societal fabric where we realize that other people's jobs are literally to allow society to be convenient for living. The concept of being forced to drive to a convenience store sucks, but the concept of an owner-operated store around the corner from you that you walk to and interact with you neighbor the store owner is extremely ftw.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've tried looking for it with very little luck but what's the biodiversity like in cities vs suburbs? Obviously it probably depends a ton on the city in question and also probably the type of suburb and also where they're all located

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've tried looking for it with very little luck but what's the biodiversity like in cities vs suburbs? Obviously it probably depends a ton on the city in question and also probably the type of suburb and also where they're all located

Cities, because of the huge variety of rodents and pigeon sub species.

to actually do a meaningful comparison I think you'd have to keep land area + population constant and consider externalities

distortion park has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Nov 8, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For birds: https://www.audubon.org/news/do-birds-prefer-suburbia

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

On a train rn, faster safer and more comfortable than any car. gently caress cars

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

1. pull the safety beacon off your kid's new bike
2. walk over to nearest freeway
3. throw safety beacon directly in front of fast moving tesla
4. worldstar

this got an audible chuckle out of me

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

God Hole posted:

it would be a massive improvement if old people were driving sedans instead of gigantic trucks and suvs lol

would be an even bigger improvement if nobody needed to drive at all!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I should just flee this cursed continent

That's my plan. I moved back in with my parents to maximize the money I save, with the goal being to save 100k and then figure out how the gently caress to get into europe. Any part is better than the US. I've suffered 32 years of Phoenix. I would like to take a loving train, and maybe even walk places.

I've already narrowly avoided death by car multiple times this year. I would like to not feel like i am in danger at all times while commuting. I would like to not have to spend 3000 dollars or more every year keeping a car I don't want fueled and operational.

I hope to leave the US forever before I'm 40.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
I have EU citizenship and I live here by choice :smuggo:

really, Toronto would be my choice of place to live but man is it expensive

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

In the long run we're gonna export our culture to the rest of the west too. Still, good luck

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

In the long run we're gonna export our culture to the rest of the west too. Still, good luck

Their cities/countries pre-date automobiles, that's the difference. Compare places like New York or Chicago with the sprawl of LA or Miami

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lil poopendorfer posted:

I have EU citizenship and I live here by choice :smuggo:

really, Toronto would be my choice of place to live but man is it expensive

Toronto is car-infested as hell. The subways and streetcars are nice but you'll be dodging cars left and right if you go out in the city

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I mean birds are one thing but birds are only one type of animal and animals alone aren't the only criteria with which to gauge biodiversity. I can easily see why birds might be more common in more open suburbs but that doesn't mean it's equally as good for rodents, reptiles, and blah blah

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It'd be cool to live in a major European city, but I'm not sure how I would actually get a work permit or whatever, I do have a pretty specific technical job (biostatistician) but I don't speak any foreign languages. Plus I'd basically have to abandon my mother lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

car makers determined to make cars the worst possible thing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ArmZ posted:

This won't last 10 minutes on the market until there's an aftermarket ahego option

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

imagine just cycling to the corner shop and the last thing you see in this world is some Tesla making an anime sex face at you

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ArmZ posted:

does it express pleasure if you gently caress it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean birds are one thing but birds are only one type of animal and animals alone aren't the only criteria with which to gauge biodiversity. I can easily see why birds might be more common in more open suburbs but that doesn't mean it's equally as good for rodents, reptiles, and blah blah

Yeah, I just remember that research coming out and thought it was interesting. The researchers gave all the limitations of their work, including different effects on non-bird species. Higher biodiversity is only one measure and doesn't account for plenty of factors like species that can't adapt to suburbs, higher prevalence of invasive species, and poor living conditions (human conflict, disease, etc.).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am extremely wary of the rise of robots and other tech that try to take advantage of our sympathetic tendencies. gently caress you.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the heck is this??

They converted a half mile stretch of road into a pedestrian/bike only zone and my apartment building is on it

It owns

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ArmZ posted:

i can understand the impulse, one of the few things that pedestrians can do to make themselves a tiny bit safer in car hellworld is make eye contact with drivers and so i get the urge to give autonomous cars some way to visibly acknowledge the existence of pedestrians, but otoh just ban cars and the problem would be solved much more comprehensively

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Milo and POTUS posted:

Places like the Netherlands, Denmark, and parts of Germany and Spain have consciously repudiated and reversed urban car culture to large success. Paris and Oslo are undergoing the same process right now. People actually do prefer not to drive if their environment makes it safe and comfortable, there's not some intrinsic automotive instinct in humankind. Much the opposite

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pryor on Fire posted:

1. pull the safety beacon off your kid's new bike
2. walk over to nearest freeway
3. throw safety beacon directly in front of fast moving tesla
4. worldstar

Elijah wood is a liberal
Macaulay culkin is a leftist

and the scarecrow is a bike beacon

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmfao at the reply

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3034145&pagenumber=619#post519083382

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1457107251655806976

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

stick binden and the cars in the roasting plant tia

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I love that not getting run over is an opt-in feature

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hahaha

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think I need to read this

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/sabotage-can-be-done-softly-on-andreas-malms-how-to-blow-up-a-pipeline/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1457792590573490180?t=KRosNDWy8ElYM_bky5gQvg&s=19

He's right

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my state's DOT is having sessions on the re-thinking I-94, and I was laughing pretty hard at "English with Karen translation" because I did not know Karen was a language in SE Asia

presenter: we will provide safe transporation options for all
karen translator: THEY'RE GONNA BLOW UP UR FREEDOM TRUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/BUSSCRO/status/1457686956322721794